http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:34:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS2] Yakuza 2 gets release date for US  (Read 1448 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2008, 05:14:31 AM »

I thought I'd post this since I just got Yakuza on sale along with Primal, and I know others here like the game and wanted to see its sequel come over.  I suspect this is them preparing players for the new Yakuza games in development.

Yakuza 2

Platform: PlayStation 2
    Category: Action Adventure
    Developer: SEGA Studios
    Release: September 9, 2008

Yakuza 2 plunges you once more into the violent Japanese underworld where respect and honor holds great importance. In intense brutal clashes with rival gangs, the police, and the Korean mafia, you will have opportunities to dole out more brutal punishment. Play as Kazuma Kiryu, the hero from the original Yakuza and explore Tokyo and now Osaka. Wander through the back alleys of Japanís underworld while trying to prevent an all-out gang war. Endless conflicts and surprise plot twists will immerse you in a dark shadowy world where only the strongest will survive.

Yakuza 2 is created by noted producer Toshihiro Nagoshi with novelist Seishu Hase, the same creative forces behind Yakuza. Yakuza 2 authentically re-creates the city streets and illicit haunts of Japanís nightlife district, with memorable characters, cinematic style, free-roaming adventure, a gripping story, beautiful but deadly fighting, and deep gameplay.

KEY FEATURES

# Authentic, cinematic sequel. The gritty, genuine portrayal of life in the Yakuza is made more realistic throughout 16 gripping chapters with a return to the original Japanese voice cast and English subtitles.

# Twice as much to explore. There is now more to see and do than ever before in the hugely expanded world of the Yakuza. Visit bowling alleys and driving ranges, as well as cabarets and bars, all licensed from actual Japanese establishments.

# A vibrant, true-to-life world. Like the real Yakuza, you must ingrain yourself in the authentic, neon-lit adult playgrounds of Tokyo and Osaka and become a regular at nightclubs, hostess clubs, restaurants and stores to gain access to secret services and uncover tips.

# Brutal hand-to-hand brawling. An improved fighting engine allows you to fight numerous enemies at once with less load times and smoother camera angles. Experience points earned from brawls will help build up strength, stamina and fighting techniques.

# The intensity of battle is raised. By stringing together a combination of fighting moves, youíll take out multiple enemies simultaneously. Objects in the environment can be used as weapons and even more context-sensitive Heat moves, like throwing foes down the stairs or off a balcony, will give you the upper hand in battle.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:56:40 AM »

Great to finally have a release date.  Yakuza was a good, underrated title and I'm very much looking forward to the sequel (as well as it's two PS3 incarnations).  While I wasn't as put off by the english voice acting as many critics, I think playing it in it's native language with subtitles will be an improvement. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:06:33 AM »

I'm looking forward to Yak 3 on the PS3-  I figure since it takes place in feudal Japan I won't have to worry about finishing the first 2 games.

However, any word on whether you can use guns in Yak 2?  from what I played of Yak 1 I never had a gun to use, which was kind of annoying, especially in the early club attack where your assailant both had a shotgun and the ability to duck.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:54:09 AM »

Actually, interestingly enough, the Fuedal Japan Yakuza game is just a side story, there's a full fledged Yakuza 3 set in modern day.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »

i'd heard about this earlier (which was finally what got me to finish the first one about a month ago - great game!)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:10:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 16, 2008, 07:06:33 AM

I'm looking forward to Yak 3 on the PS3-  I figure since it takes place in feudal Japan I won't have to worry about finishing the first 2 games.

However, any word on whether you can use guns in Yak 2?  from what I played of Yak 1 I never had a gun to use, which was kind of annoying, especially in the early club attack where your assailant both had a shotgun and the ability to duck.

IIRC, you could use guns in the first game but they were just in extremely limited quantities.  At it's heart the series is a beat 'em up and the emphasis is on melee combat. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:44:27 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 16, 2008, 07:54:09 AM

Actually, interestingly enough, the Fuedal Japan Yakuza game is just a side story, there's a full fledged Yakuza 3 set in modern day.

huh.. I thought that would be Yak 3.  Looked it up and it's Yakuza: Kenzan!  Hopefully it makes it to the States, and not take so long to do so like Yak 2, which apparently has been out since 12-7-2006.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:12:02 PM »

with this on the horizon, is there any reason to go dig up yak 1?  i assume that yak 2 is an improvement in pretty much every way, so if i could reduce the growth of my backlog a bit, my wallet (and wife) would thank me.

btw, wth didn't they show yak 3 at e3?  that could be a great showpiece of the ps3's capability. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »

From what I understand, Yakuza 2 very much builds on Yakuza 1's story so it would be worth playing the first game just to be caught up. 

Considering how awful Yak 1 sold, I'm sure it can probably be picked up for like $5.00. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 05:33:58 PM »

considering how awful it sold, it might be hard to get without visiting the wretched place of scum of and villainy (ebay)

i keep my eyes open for it whenever i go into a game store and it's never there.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 06:30:10 PM »

I actually just picked up Yakuza at EB for $12.  A bunch of stores in my area had them, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »

I managed to find a copy at blockbuster for $10, and used their buy 1 get 1 free for $15 and under titles to nab Primal too.  YMMV of course.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »

according to this hands-on, the game looks pretty nice, & comes on 2 discs (!)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »

Still working my way through the first one - trying to get it done before this one comes out.  And then hopefully they bring the prequel stateside for the PS3...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 17, 2008, 03:39:26 PM

Still working my way through the first one - trying to get it done before this one comes out.  And then hopefully they bring the prequel stateside for the PS3...

I am, too.  I forgot it was coming September 9!  Holy crap, that's soon.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 06:28:56 PM »

I'm finishing up Chapter 7 right now so I'm getting there biggrin

The fighting may be somewhat simplistic, with some annoying bits here and there, but using Heat moves totally redeem a mediocre fighting system!  Forgot how cool it is to choke a dude with a golf club...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 17, 2008, 06:28:56 PM

The fighting may be somewhat simplistic, with some annoying bits here and there, but using Heat moves totally redeem a mediocre fighting system!  Forgot how cool it is to choke a dude with a golf club...

i was really glad i finished it - one of the most memorable action/adventure ps2 games, imo. great story, characters, & especially great villains, with goro majima, the guy mark hamill does the vocals for, in particular smile (&, according to the wiki entry, he does make a reappearance in y2)...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 10:37:46 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 17, 2008, 09:45:24 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 17, 2008, 06:28:56 PM

i was really glad i finished it - one of the most memorable action/adventure ps2 games, imo. great story, characters, & especially great villains, with goro majima, the guy mark hamill does the vocals for, in particular smile (&, according to the wiki entry, he does make a reappearance in y2)...

How long did it take you?

I was cruising along, but then I hit Chapter 4, when the city opened up, and things slowed down a lot.

I feel like I'm mostly overpowered (certainly in street fights), but I'd hate to plow through and start getting my ass handed to me.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 12:27:27 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 17, 2008, 10:37:46 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on August 17, 2008, 09:45:24 PM

How long did it take you?

I was cruising along, but then I hit Chapter 4, when the city opened up, and things slowed down a lot.

I feel like I'm mostly overpowered (certainly in street fights), but I'd hate to plow through and start getting my ass handed to me.

over a year smile ...

got to where tml is (about halfway or a little more), & was distracted by other games. picked it back up a year later (2 months ago), & finished it in a bit over a week...

i never found most of the fights overwhelming so much as kinda repetitive - you do have to fight a lot if you wanna beef yourself up & make the rest of the game enjoyable (at least i did). i'm not a 'plow thru' kinda player, & took my time initially, tho i did turn it up a notch when i resumed playing (& was bad-ass enough at that point to get away with it)...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 01:25:30 AM »

This thread got me to putting in the game for the first time and playing about an hour.

"Step the &%#! up!" - badass!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 01:54:04 AM »

Quote from: depward on August 18, 2008, 01:25:30 AM

This thread got me to putting in the game for the first time and playing about an hour.

"Step the &%#! up!" - badass!

y'know, as over-the-top as the language was, it never felt 'forced' to me, & actually kinda natural (as does the stuff in the gtas). maybe cuz i talk like that? smile ...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 02:06:41 AM »

I'm pretty psyched to have Japanese voice-acting with English subtitles in Yakuza 2.

I mean, the voice-acting in the first one is entertaining, sure, but egads.  Rachel Leigh Cook, could you sound more bored?

Also, I'm planning to begin to learn Japanese in the Fall, and it'll be nice to have words tossed around so that might sound somewhat familiar biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 03:14:57 PM »

Well.

I'm on Chapter 11, and it's been sort of a struggle.  The # of enemies is increasing, and more have guns, which is making the game muuuuuuch harder.  This is in terms of slow animations when getting hit, and clumsy lock-on/combat.

Spoiler about Chapter 10:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I ran past everyone, for the most part.  This is when I was going up to the roof...

I know, sort of vague, but it should be memorable enough.

I hope I have enough to power through the rest of the game...we'll see.

*I may have the Chapters mixed up...I'm on either 10 or 11...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 02, 2008, 03:14:57 PM

Well.

I'm on Chapter 11, and it's been sort of a struggle.  The # of enemies is increasing, and more have guns, which is making the game muuuuuuch harder.  This is in terms of slow animations when getting hit, and clumsy lock-on/combat.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I ran past everyone, for the most part.  This is when I was going up to the roof...

(quick look thru guide) the spoiler's definitely chapter 10, &, unless you're doing sub-missions, you're now on the final leg (& it moves along pretty fast). granted i got in lots of fights / powered up pretty well, but, aside from a couple bosses (& the goddamn vehicle sequence), i never had a really hard time during the second half of the game - go figure. anyway, you're just about done. enjoy the fireworks - things really heat up down the home stretch smile ...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 02, 2008, 03:40:18 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 02, 2008, 03:14:57 PM

Well.

Spoiler for Hiden:

(& the goddamn vehicle sequence)

I thought that was sorta cool...was definitely not expecting it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 02, 2008, 07:19:56 PM

I thought that was sorta cool...was definitely not expecting it.

oh, it was cool, alright... i just sucked at it smile ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: