http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 07:57:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS2] Star Trek: Encounters  (Read 554 times)
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:21:13 PM »

Found this at Wal-Mart for $20 today and I just couldn't resist.

Turns out, maybe I should've.

The game promises ship combat with all five generations of starships in three "exciting" gameplay modes of Skirmish, Episode and head to head multiplayer.

First off, opening the package you notice that the disc is blue instead of hte usual silver. I think that denotes a CD-ROM game. Uh oh, bad sign.

Booting up the game, the intro graphics are barely above PS1 levels. That's right, PS1. Blurry low-res textures everywhere, ships that are way too small on screen. It's almost as if it's a port from the PSP (I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.)

Another strike against it is that initially, you can only play as the NX-01 (Enterprise) and a Xindi ship. You have to unlock all the generations by playing the episode mode.

That leads us to another problem, the episode mode is boring. The first mission, not surprisingly, is to get you acclimatized to the controls. Ugh, the controlls are bad. Let me give you an example. To lock weapons on a ship, you must first use the right stick, combined with the R2 key. The longer you keep locked, the more precise the shot on a subsystem. You then press R1 to fire. That's three controls on your right hand alone. Then with your left, you steer the ship, which is a chore in itself because the game is in a pseudo 3D mode, but any movement on the y axis is done through L1 and L2.

I have just played through the first real mission, which involved dealing with Xindi and getting some schematics of the planet killer weapon from their cruisers. Basically, it's one mission they've extended into four parts, making it quite tedious.

There are no voice actors from the show present in this game, heck it's hardly voiced at all, with most in-mission dialogue merely text on screen.

So far, I would have to say that it is NOT worth the $20 I paid for it. I will keep playing to see if it gets any better. Only hardcore Trek fans need apply to this game.

I sure hope the other Trek games along the way are better than this. Shame on you Bethesda.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 12:15:29 AM »

Good to hear more impressions on this one.  There have been a couple here but not alot.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:57:54 AM »

Whoops, silly me for not checking for an existing thread. Mods feel free to merge with the other one.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 01:30:03 AM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on October 22, 2006, 10:21:13 PM

Shame on you Bethesda.
For publishing a $20 PS2 game you didn't enjoy?
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 02:04:22 AM »

Quote from: kathode on October 23, 2006, 01:30:03 AM

Quote from: ChaoZ on October 22, 2006, 10:21:13 PM

Shame on you Bethesda.
For publishing a $20 PS2 game you didn't enjoy?

A $20 turd is still a turd.

Still, I have to admit after putting a bit more time into it, it's not as bad as I imagined. Whereas perviously I was ready to give a 3/10 rating, I think it's probably 5/10 now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: