http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:26:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ps2] SRPG fans UNITE! Stella Deus (4/26)  (Read 2532 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2005, 07:45:24 PM »

I told myself I'm getting one game this month and Jade Empire is the obvious choice, right?  WRRRRRRONG!

Say hello to Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity coming to the Playstation 2 on 4/26.

Atlus USA is putting this one out and I'm kinda glad it isn't a Nippon Ichi game.  We need something fresh, something new.  And I'm glad as hell the grid system is back in action.

The hand-drawn graphics look gorgeous, to me.  Rather than make the characters look somewhat kiddy, Atlus has gone with a more mature look (that'll hopefully transfer over to the game).

A forester class - how cool!  The features of this one parallel those of the more successful sprgs of late - the ability to fuse items, team attacks (up to 6), and a Catacomb of Trials (basically, what dungeons were in Phantom Brave, item worlds in Disgaea, I'd guess).

So this one looks good.  And it's coming out on 4/26.  Anybody else in? (btw, the official site http://www.atlus.com/stella_deus as well as Gamespot have movies of it, for those who are interested).

TheMissingLink on PSN
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 07:50:59 PM »

I've been keeping my eye on this one, but I'm not yet convinced.  I'll wait on reviews.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 08:12:04 PM »

Yeah this one looks pretty hot.  I think the character designer was also involved in the Shin Megami Tensei games and it shows.  

Unfortunately it sounds like the American voice acting is pretty crappy and there is no dual language option.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 08:14:53 PM »

One solid review and I am going to be all over this one.  The graphics are very nice.  Looks like some nice variation in the different characters as well.

Something about the whole look of the game and the interface in those screens speaks to me.

But what does it say?

What indeed...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 08:17:14 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Unfortunately it sounds like the American voice acting is pretty crappy and there is no dual language option.

hehe, funny you should mention.  I got a video of a team attack and while the voices were somewhat funny in a corny way, I'm not sure how funny they'd stay after a few times biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 08:22:41 PM »

Well, given my general ambivalence towards all of them Nippon Ichi games that I keep trying to get into, I think I will have to rent this first.
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 08:34:12 PM »

The graphics are still slanted toward "kiddie", but they are a definite improvement over the Nippon Ichi titles.  I really wish some company would ramp up the graphics in these games. Gladius was a step in the right direction, but that really isn't saying very much.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even know this game existed, and SRPGs are one of my favorite types of game. Of course, considering that Disgaea, Phantom Brave, FFT Advance and Growlanser Generations are all sitting in my closet unplayed, I'm not hurting for games.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 08:45:39 PM »

To me, this game looks like it'll go ultra-rare ultra-quick.  Obscure SRPG published by Atlus at the end of the system's lifecycle?  Yeah.  You'll see this on launch day, then never again.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 08:51:27 PM »

this is from the team that made Hoshigami on PS1.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 09:09:11 PM »

Any chance it actually ships this month?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 09:27:56 PM »

Quote from: "weeskwee"

Oh boy, oooooooh boy (i.e. yikes)   :lol:

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 09:31:39 PM »

Yeah, but its gotten great reviews in Japan.  Evidently the devs learned a lot from Hoshigami.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 10:43:37 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Eh, Hoshigami didn't get bad reviews, it got middling ones.  70% range, IIRC.

Hoshigami disappeared fast too, like this game will.  I knew this game looked familiar, and now that you mention the Hoshigami connection, it makes sense...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 01:30:52 AM »

C'mon you guys.  I really can't afford this!

After watching a couple of the movies, I think this one could be a day one purchase.  I'll check out at least a couple reviews, but I'm very, very intrigued.  Between this and Altilier Iris next month, it's a good time to be an SRPG fan!

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 01:57:43 AM »

Also, can anyone link me to the Japanese reviews?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 02:13:18 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Also, can anyone link me to the Japanese reviews?

Here's one from a guy on Gaming-Age.  I trust his opinions on RPGs quite a bit:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23308
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 03:06:43 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "depward"

Eh, Hoshigami didn't get bad reviews, it got middling ones.  70% range, IIRC.

Hoshigami disappeared fast too, like this game will.  I knew this game looked familiar, and now that you mention the Hoshigami connection, it makes sense...

TheMissingLink has Hoshigami . . . and it's preeetty bad.

But!  As long as the devs see how Hoshigami came out, examine the good aspects and perhaps get rid of the bad, I can see how they can make a good title.

Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 03:29:43 AM »

I would say that Stella Deus is not as good as Phantom Kingdom (Makai Kingdom in the States).  It's not something that I would heartily recommend to others, especially people who have played all the Nippon Ichi games.  I  suggest people to rent it first and try it for 5~10 hours, which is enough to see everything there is to see in this game.  I would say that the gameplay is rather generic and mediocre compare to other SRPG titles.

However, I would give a high score for its character design and art direction.  This is not suprising considering that the person responsible came from SMTN (Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne).  The designs are highly stylish and have a unique feeling to them.  It reminds me of Disciples series (on PC) and is something that you would want to see on collectible cards.  For example, the imperials (bad guys) are heavily mechanical/metallic with numerical designation on them, while the fairies are mostly nude with elaborate body engravings.  Be warn though, there is quite a bit of nudity in this game.  It's part of the art style.  

The other plus for this game is its alchemy/synthesis system, which is the most complex I have seen so far.  You can combine anything together to make a new item.  Figuring out how to get high rank weapon/armor from low rank item sythesis is part of the fun.  I seriously doubt that we will see a comprehensive synthesis chart anytime soon, as it would be like a 600x600 spreadsheet.  :shock:
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 04:34:56 AM »

Generic and Mediocre are two words I dislike frown

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 04:37:38 AM »

Shin Megami Tensei are three words I do like   biggrin

RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 12:52:05 AM »

From the gaming age forum:

So now I'll go into more detail about each section:
#1 The writing:
The writer of this game is a famous Japanese fantasy novelist who wrote The Record of Lodoss War novels which the well known anime TV & OAV are based off of. Going from that I expected a strong fantasy tale, but what I did not expect was such fine writing. This guy has a way with words. The story in Stelladeus contains a lot of philosophical arguments. The main character Sphida (or whatever you choose to name him) is a character that rather than trying to change minds through violence or power, uses facts and metaphors to create logical statements and try to argue why people's ideals are flawed. With a 3rd rate writer this would have failed IMO, but this guy is quite intelligent and makes very good statements that even convince the player. You may be asking yourself "Why would you need the lead character to convince you, the player, that he is right?"...Well the answer to that is the antagonist characters's reasoning are usually just as smart and there were quite a few times when I'd agree with an antagonist's line of thought, even if brutal, because it would be quite sound logically. So in the end I would just say that the writing is some of the finest I have seen in a game.

Anyone want to bet that the Englsh translation will butcher any subtle attributes the original writing may harbor?  I'm still waiting for games that  have a translation which attempts to capture the imagery and nuances of the original language.  Most translation are sloppy word-for-word reductions that do nothing to capture the spirit of the original work.  

After reading two translations of Dante's Inferno, I learned very quickly how beautifully different a translation can be when one attempts to recreate the spirit of the original piece into English. It truly is like night and day.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 07:17:12 AM »

IGN has just posted a preview of the game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 03:45:21 AM »

drool And I though DW8 was the only thing left on PS2 I wanted. Damn SRPGs!

I'll have to keep my eye on this one I guess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: