http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 03:46:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS2] RE Code: Veronica X - Worth Playing?  (Read 1484 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:30:21 PM »

Playing RE 4 on the Wii has got my appetite wet for playing Code Veronica X which, along with RE 3, is one of the volumes I never played. I not too worried about having missed 3 since much of it's best content will be featured in the upcoming Umbrella Chronicles. I've heard however, that the Veronica X story won't be covered in UC.
I'm not too concerned abut the legacy RE controls as I played RE:1 and 0 on the Cube and found the controls to be fine; also played RE:DS. I'm looking more for feedback on the quality of the story and whether the graphics for it's time (2001) were decent.
I've managed to locate a copy that includes the extra content DVD -Wesker's Report- for $17; so the price seems right.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 08:36:04 PM »

Yep, Code Veronica is really good stuff.  It's the most story-intensive RE game.  Graphically it looks pretty nice too, certainly not on the level of REmake or RE4, but it's no eyesore.

It's kind of an interesting merge of "old school" Resident Evil mechanics with a bit more of the epic, action-adventure feel of RE4. 

Code Veronica X is my third favorite RE game behind RE4 and REmake. 

RE3 gets a lot of flack but I think it's worth playing as well.  Some neat stuff in it but it does end up feeling like it should have been the "side game" and Code Veronica should have been a numbered entry. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:50:36 PM »

I played through it on the Dreamcast not too long ago - still lots of fun, but it is a bit hard to get reaccustomed to the old style controls after RE4.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 08:59:55 PM »

I played past the halfway point and then got stuck because I didn't have enough herbs and was basically going to have to start over from the beginning.  I might go back at some point with a walkthrough, because the story and cutscenes were good.

Just play the game better than I did!  icon_biggrin

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:21:41 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 27, 2007, 08:59:55 PM

I played past the halfway point and then got stuck because I didn't have enough herbs and was basically going to have to start over from the beginning.  I might go back at some point with a walkthrough, because the story and cutscenes were good.

Just play the game better than I did!  icon_biggrin

He-he...well I've played my share of RE games so I've gotten fairly good at ammo and herb management and the fine art of multistage saves with strategic...damn, I'm out of everything!...reloads. smile Of course if it only allows 3 or less saves, I can see where it could be a real pain. Sounds like I'm going to be using knife slashing a lot.
Anyhow...thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I'm going to pick this up and give it a whirl just as soon as I've exhausted my enthusiasm for RE4 replays...of course that could be right around the time Umbrella Chronicles lands on store shelves.  paranoid
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 02:07:10 AM »

You may be able to find it easier/cheaper for the Gamecube too, you mentioned REmake and RE:0 so you may like using the Cube-troller.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 02:15:31 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on June 28, 2007, 02:07:10 AM

You may be able to find it easier/cheaper for the Gamecube too, you mentioned REmake and RE:0 so you may like using the Cube-troller.

I think the Cube version is relatively rare and consequently goes for higher prices.  The PS2 version is greatest hits. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 02:18:52 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 28, 2007, 02:15:31 AM

I think the Cube version is relatively rare and consequently goes for higher prices.  The PS2 version is greatest hits. 

Really, Hrm... I've actually been sitting on the Cube versions of RE 2, 3 and CV.. mayhaps it would behoove me to sell them?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 02:29:05 AM »

I'm interested in those if you're offering a fair price (let the derail begin).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 02:41:13 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on June 28, 2007, 02:18:52 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 28, 2007, 02:15:31 AM

Really, Hrm... I've actually been sitting on the Cube versions of RE 2, 3 and CV.. mayhaps it would behoove me to sell them?

I've looked into acquiring them from time to time and I usually see them go for $20+ (even up to $40 or more on occasion).  Then I see the prices and decide my PS1/PS2 versions are just fine (especially since RE2 looks and plays so great on PSP). 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 06:31:54 AM »

I actually wanted to avoid the GC version as I'd read it was a port of the PS2 version which in turn was a port of the DC version. In all the reviews I read, the GC version graphics were stated to be inferior to the PS2 and DC versions. The graphics have aged fairly well in the PS2 version; some of the cut scenes are very impressive.

I'm having some difficulty adjusting to the dual-shock controller as, believe it or not, this is the 1st RE game I've ever played on a playstation. Even the RE2 I played was the N64 version. My biggest  problem is avoiding Zombies which I haven't had much luck with, but I'm improving a bit. I can't decide if I should use the analog stick or the d-pad for movement control and I keep jumping back and forth. Based on how quickly you acquire weapons I'm assuming there's going too be a lot zombie slaying in this RE. It also seems to be quite a puzzle and strategy focused, which is something I really like. So far I haven't got a clue which weapon to use against which types of zombies.  icon_confused

Anyways, I only wanted to get my feet wet with this for now; back to RE4 for my 2nd play through. smile
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 06:36:42 AM by kronovan » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 12:39:25 PM »

Actually, I've read from several people that Code Veronica looks slightly better on Cube than PS2. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 05:49:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 28, 2007, 12:39:25 PM

Actually, I've read from several people that Code Veronica looks slightly better on Cube than PS2. 

Go figure, the reviews I read said they thought the graphics were slightly inferior on the Cube. Probably had more to do with the fact that the Cube version was released 3 1/2 years after the original.
It would probably be easier for me to adapt to the controls on the Cube, but regardless it's a very hard game to find in my city.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 06:29:50 PM »

Code Veronica was developed by Sega, wasn't it? Or co-developed?

Either way, it was my favorite one for sure.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 06:31:33 PM »

I don't believe so... mobygames only lists Capcom.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 06:39:42 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 28, 2007, 06:29:50 PM

Either way, it was my favorite one for sure.

It was developed by Capcom, but was exclusive to the DreamCast concole for the 1st year and a 1/2.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 08:59:59 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 28, 2007, 05:49:55 PM

Go figure, the reviews I read said they thought the graphics were slightly inferior on the Cube. Probably had more to do with the fact that the Cube version was released 3 1/2 years after the original.
It would probably be easier for me to adapt to the controls on the Cube, but regardless it's a very hard game to find in my city.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's just reviewers with distant memories.  The guys I've seen who say the Cube version looks a little better are the types that are hardcore fans and would really know.  But the PS2 version still looks pretty nice to my eyes. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 07:40:19 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 28, 2007, 08:59:59 PM

Quote from: kronovan on June 28, 2007, 05:49:55 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing it's just reviewers with distant memories.  The guys I've seen who say the Cube version looks a little better are the types that are hardcore fans and would really know.  But the PS2 version still looks pretty nice to my eyes. 

Well if they're hardcore fans they've probably played every release on every platform, so I'm more than willing to take their word that the Cube version is slightly better looking. I've finally made it to the castle / mansion and I'm becoming more and more impressed with the graphics. The in game CGI cut scenes are amazing for a game this old; lip synchings spot on and the voice acting isn't too shabby either. I'm also really starting to like the gameplay since there seems to be quite an emphasis on puzzle solving. Lots of snippets of story scattered about on notes, journals, memo, etc. and the story is panning out to be interesting and mysterious, even possibly romantic...hmm.

I finally decided to only use the d-pad on the dual shock and once I did the control mechanics started to get a lot easier. I really like the challenge and effectiveness of using the knife in this RE. I'm starting to get a sense of what weapons work and don't work against specific enemies and I like the strategic element it adds.
Here I thought I was going to be focusing on my 2nd play through on RE 4, but for now this game has caught my attention. My all time ranking of RE game has been RE:4, REmake followed by RE:0,  but I'm thinking this might just eclipse 0.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:44:21 AM by kronovan » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 11:49:59 PM »

sherry birkin lives!

will always have a soft spot for the pre-re4 entries in the series. once you've overcome / made peace with the controls, you end up with some genuinely whacked, clever, challenging gaming (including some very memorable boss battles). 2 is still my personal favorite, mostly due to the fact that sherry was, in a way, creepier (to me) than any t-virus mutant i've ever encountered, but i love'm all...

something tells me if i don't already have a wii by the time umbrella chronicles is released, i will shortly thereafter...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 06:44:04 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on June 29, 2007, 11:49:59 PM

2 is still my personal favorite, mostly due to the fact that sherry was, in a way, creepier (to me) than any t-virus mutant i've ever encountered, but i love'm all...

something tells me if i don't already have a wii by the time umbrella chronicles is released, i will shortly thereafter...

I enjoyed 2 very much as well, just not quite as much as 4, REmake, and 0. Like you I can't wait to play Umbrella Chronicles, it ties Metroid Prime 3 as my most anticipated Wii game.

I have to say that Code Veronica has got to be the hardest RE I've ever played, mostly due to the scarcity of health and the fact that zombies always respawn in areas you must backtrack through. I've also noted areas where the game designers really should have placed healing herbs or sprays. It's annoying I'm mostly a notch below full health since I'm doing well to dodge enemies whenever I can. At least there seems to be enough ammo and weapons around. It's also too hard to discern objects, on at least 1 occasion I missed a healing herb because it blended in too much with the adjacent objects. I'm still really liking the story, puzzles and cut scenes, but due to some of the shortcomings in area design, I'm feeling that this won't unseat 0 in my current RE rankings.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 07:14:47 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 30, 2007, 06:44:04 PM

I have to say that Code Veronica has got to be the hardest RE I've ever played, mostly due to the scarcity of health and the fact that zombies always respawn in areas you must backtrack through. I've also noted areas where the game designers really should have placed healing herbs or sprays.

it's been a while. don't remember the respawning, but i definitely do remember a number of deaths/redos early on in the game, up until i was clear of that whole initial area...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 01:01:04 AM »

I don't remember Code Veronica being overly hard (aside from some late game boss fights) but it probably helped that I played it immediately following a run through REmake, RE2, and RE3. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 05:41:16 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 01, 2007, 01:01:04 AM

I don't remember Code Veronica being overly hard (aside from some late game boss fights) but it probably helped that I played it immediately following a run through REmake, RE2, and RE3. 

Holy zombies Kevin...now that's what I call a RE marathon!

As a small example of this backtracking and respawning, take the graveyard immediately outside the area you start the game in. You must pass thru this graveyard on no less than 3 separate occasions; at the start of the game; after you get the fire extinguisher and retrieve the duplication material; after you get the hemostatic medicine and exchange it with the soldier for the lockpick. On each of these occasions you must contend with 3 newly respawned zombies. You could argue that you really don't need the lockpick, but bypassing it prevents you from getting some much needed resources.  And this is only one of the minor such areas, in others you encounter some really nasty respawned beasts.

I also found the Military Training Center to be one of the poorest designed areas / levels I've ever encountered in a RE game, whereas the Palace and residence are 2 of the best. I think I've been spoiled by the RE's that were remade or created for the Cube, since in those games the area design is consistently excellent throughout. From what Semiconscious said the areas improve as the game progresses and I've found that to be true so far.
The games strengths still far outweigh it's weaknesses, so I'm still enjoying this game very much.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 05:40:22 AM »

Ouch!!! Wesker just gave my lovely Claire a body tossing blow to the mid rib, foot pressed her shoulder with all his weight and followed it up with a full force kick to her head! That's it Wesker has got to die! Capcom needs to give us a RE game where we can finally off this super bastard for good; the sooner the better!
As you can gather I'm...umm...sort of getting into this game now. smile I've had my quibbles with the some of the game mechanics and level design but the story is starting to really kick ass! Definitely one of the better, if not the best, RE stories I've ever played through.  slywink thumbsup

[Edit] I managed to defeat the Tyrant boss last night and advance to the 2nd 1/2 of the game. All I can say is I'm glad I saved my grenade ammo; without a doubt 1 of the harderst bosses in any RE game. I can see where anyone who'd depleted their grenade or gunpowder arrows before this battle would literally have to restart the game.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:37:58 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: