http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:22:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS2] HDLoader - play PS2 games from hard drive  (Read 2496 times)
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2004, 07:29:09 PM »

(I apologize in advance if this is considered too close to "piracy")

Anyone else heard of this?  Basically, they allow you to copy games onto the PS2 hard drive (or add one of your own!), and play them directly from the hard drive (a la a modded Xbox).

I'm a sucker, and ordered one, despite the fact I only own about 6 PS2 games, but love hack-ish technology like this smile

More info here - Link removed (violates Rule #2)
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 08:54:13 PM »

Laner, discussion of this can happen, but links to the product can't be posted via Rule #2:

2. Piracy/Warez Links - Any links to piracy, warez or mentioning where to go to get information to do such things (even using creativity in posts to let people know where to go) is not permitted. Discussions can happen, but any links will not be tolerated.

So, I eliminated the link, but people can continue to talk about the item itself, they'll just have to figure out where they can find out the info on their own.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 08:58:23 PM »

Even if it has completely legitimate uses?  That's like deleting links for CD burners, simply because they can be used to copy CDs.

Not trying to cause a fuss, just curious.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 09:19:16 PM »

I think the product is quite interesting. In fact, I'm almost tempted to purchase one, as I've always found that playing the games from the HD is more enjoyable, than playing them from CDs. Exactly the same, as with my PC.

In fact, I'd go so far as to liken this product to a twisted NO-CD crack. Those who pirate games will no doubt find this to be the jackpot of all jackpots, but they would've pirated even without the product, I'm sure.

And then there're those, who simply find the ease of not having to switch 12 CDs, and instead load things from the HD for a faster gaming can do so. I wonder how much faster would the games load?

Of course, since I can't reboot my PS2 without actually going to the console itself, it's not that big of a bother to switch the CDs when needed, either, but had I a remote to do the thing, playing the games from the HD would be a considerably more enticing experience.

It's also a shame it doesn't support PSX games. I'd love to put all my old PSX RPGs on the HD, and then store the CDs somewhere safe.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 09:33:02 PM »

If that thing works like you said, Laner, than it would be a boon to pirates everywhere.  I can think of no reason to by another game ever again when you could rent them and copy them to a hard drive.  Even buying a 250GB HD for copies would equal the price of 3 or 4 new games.  Fill it up and buy another...  You could have a stack of hard drives (in removable, hot-swappable drive bays, no less) and eventually own the entire PS2 library.  I hear the ghost of the Dreamcast cackling madly. :lol:

I haven't seen the device (as the link was removed), but that is my thought on the theoretical uses.  Of course there are legit uses, but the PS2 is a closed system and people should probably just deal with those limitations (load times).

Of course it might not be as easy as I envisioned.  Please correct me if there are checks in place to discourage rampant copying.

If I were motivated to pirate I would be salivating. :twisted:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 05:37:49 PM »

I just like the idea of being able to consolidate... I have all my DVDs in a 300 disc jukebox and all my CDs ripped to my iPod.  I keep the actual discs in boxes in the basement.  Makes for a much neater living environment.  $30 isn't a bad deal, and I have a couple of 80GB drives just lying around, so why not?

Yeah, people are going to use it for nefarious purposes, but as Fellow pointed out, if people are motivated to pirate, they'll do it regardless.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 06:01:52 PM »

I wonder if it'll see the light of day given that Game X Copy just got slapped with a lawsuit.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 06:08:02 PM »

One thing it did mention was that you needed the PS2 HD and broad band adapter.

I bet you could put a bigger HD in but I think you would have to buy their HD kit (currently only sold with FF11 far as I know) to get the special connectors to the PS2.

So the initial outlay is more that just for their fairly reasonable software...more like $100 plus their software.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 07:59:35 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
One thing it did mention was that you needed the PS2 HD and broad band adapter.

I bet you could put a bigger HD in but I think you would have to buy their HD kit (currently only sold with FF11 far as I know) to get the special connectors to the PS2.

So the initial outlay is more that just for their fairly reasonable software...more like $100 plus their software.

My understanding is as long as you have the broadband adapter, you can use your own hard drive - the "official" Sony drive isn't necessary.

From the website which shall not be named...

Hard Disk Drive Compatibility:

HDLoader is compatible with all official Sony PS2 INTERNAL hard disk drives,
and most other standard IDE hard disk drives with a capacity of 40GB or larger. There are issues with some modern Segate drives, which cause problems when used in conjunction with older models of the official Sony PS2 network adapter.

If HDLoader freezes at the splash screen for you, then it is due to this conflict. In order to resolve this you will either need to purchase a new hard disk drive or network adapter (if you need to get a new network adapter, try and get one that includes the modem).
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 08:14:35 PM »

From what I understand, that's the basic gist of it, yeah. You can use any a HD that's 40+GB, except Western Digital, since they seem to not align properly with the PS2 Network Adapter. On the other hand, Maxtor HDs seem to fit like a glove. HDLoader only supports up to, er.. I think.. 136GB, so any HD bigger than that, and you'll be losing space.

For fun, I tried my old 40GB Maxtor drive, and it goes right into my PS2, nicely'n smoothly. I'd have to purchase the Network Adapter, if I wanted this package, though. So, I would be looking at, what.. around $50-$70, depending on whether I'd get the adapter used, or new. And that's roughly one game.

IF this thing played imports, and PSX titles, I would buy it in an instant. As it is, I'm very curious to see what the thing'll do, but will wait and consider on whether to get one.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 08:36:37 PM »

Ok so it does appear a lot better and easier to use than I thought.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 10:22:26 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"

IF this thing played imports, and PSX titles, I would buy it in an instant.

Indeed... hopefully some enterprising coder will incoroprate PSX capability.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 07:02:35 PM »

FYI, IGN.com has a review up - http://ps2.ign.com/articles/525/525491p1.html
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 12:18:39 AM »

pwn3d

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 12:32:06 AM »

As luck would have it, though, I managed to snag one of them about a week ago. Quite a marvel of a program.

Of course, now I just have to hope it doesn't bork on me, or I'll be sh*t outta luck, since they'll be vanishing quite quickly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: