http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:16:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS2] (spoilers, possible) Kingdom Hearts II Tuesday  (Read 3588 times)
GGMark
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2006, 05:55:41 PM »

Was just at my Eb locally, and they told me they will be receivin KH II Tuesday evening.  Calls should go out monday for the people who pre ordered, and it should be in Tuesday night.

great news, I can hardly wait.

So much gaming goodness the last month or so.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 07:09:43 PM »

Reading Kitsune's impressions over at qt3 makes me wet.  Especially his comments on the bosses.  

I'd be SUPER SUPER EXCITED but Oblivion's pull is FAR TOO STRONG, so I am merely excited biggrin

Two GOTY candidates within two weeks of each other?  Did I die and go to heaven?

(btw, he mentions the story in the GBA Chain of Memories is really key to know what's going on in KH2, so if you haven't played it, I'd sorta just recommend reading a summary of what happened in that game.  The endgame is far too cumbersome for me to recommend and KH2 is too close to dive into it, imo)

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 07:29:15 PM »

This is the first game in a long time that I pre-ordered.  I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on this.   smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 09:54:29 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
(btw, he mentions the story in the GBA Chain of Memories is really key to know what's going on in KH2, so if you haven't played it, I'd sorta just recommend reading a summary of what happened in that game.  The endgame is far too cumbersome for me to recommend and KH2 is too close to dive into it, imo)

Crap, I was afraid of that/  It's kind of annoying that they would make the story of another game on another system important to understand what is going on in the sequel.  Anyone know where there's a good summary of Chain of Memories?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 10:31:38 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"

Crap, I was afraid of that/  It's kind of annoying that they would make the story of another game on another system important to understand what is going on in the sequel.  Anyone know where there's a good summary of Chain of Memories?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The story of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories takes place directly after the ending of the first installment, Kingdom Hearts. We find Sora, his two friends Donald Duck and Goofy, as well as Jiminy Cricket, walking down a seemingly never-ending path, when suddenly a mysterious man dressed in a black hooded trenchcoat tells Sora, "Ahead lies something you need. But to claim it, you must lose something dear." As they continue down the path, Sora and his companions find a massive fortress called Castle Oblivion. When they enter, they find the mysterious figure.

When Sora and his companions attempt to engage the figure, they find that their abilities seem to have no effect. The figure then explains that at the moment our heroes entered the castle, they forgot every ability they had previously known. This figure continues by creating a deck of cards made from Sora and his friends' memories, and tells them that everything they encounter in this castle will be based on their memories. But the higher they go, the more memories they lose in the process.

Meanwhile, floors below, Riku has somehow managed to return from the the World of Darkness and fights his own inner demons as he battles upward from the basement levels of Castle Oblivion. But neither he nor Sora are aware that they are being targeted by a mysterious group called the Organization.

As Sora ascends the castle, he battles Larxene, a member of the Organization. After battling her, he remembers the name of a former friend of his that he forgot: Naminé. He learns that she is being held in the castle, and ascends the castle, clashing with a clone of Riku that believes itself to be the original. After watching the death of Vexen, another Organization member, Sora learns from Naminé herself that the hooded figure he met earlier is named Marluxia, and is in fact manipulating both of them into being his servants. Forming an alliance with the Riku clone, they fought to the top of the castle and defeated Marluxia. Sora then bid farewell to the Riku clone, who left to find the truth to his existence. Naminé then puts Sora to an unnatural sleep to help him regain the memories he lost in the castle.

Meanwhile, as Sora was fighting his way through the castle, Riku began destroying dark beings he met in the depths of the castle in an attempt to rid himself of darkness. Ansem, who took over Riku's body in the previous game, attempted to gain control of Riku again, but was continually thwarted with the intervention of Mickey Mouse. On the way, Riku battled Vexen, his own clone, and another Organization member named Lexaues. Riku then used his dark abilities and noticed that Marluxia had been killed. He was confronted by Zexion, a manipulative Organization member, but embraced his darkness and overcame him. Arriving in Twilight Town, Riku learned that the 'Ansem' who had goaded him earlier was in fact DiZ, an enigmatic man who seemed interested in Riku. DiZ sent Riku to speak with Naminé, but a new foe blocked his way: the clone. After killing the replica in a fierce battle, Riku learned from Naminé that what remained of the real Ansem lived in the bowels of his heart. Riku chose to face him, and after affirming this with DiZ, the odd man loosed Ansem from Riku's heart for him to battle. After successfully defeating Ansem, Riku learned that as long as he had darkness at his command, Ansem would reside within him. He set out on a quest to keep his darkness but remain his own master with King Mickey as his companion.

(from wikipedia)

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:46:57 AM »

Sweet.  Thanks TML, but you may want to change the ending to [/spoiler]  :wink:

Because I can,
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 01:46:18 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up Ceekay.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I love you.[/quote]

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 01:54:35 AM »

I would love to get this, but I haven't finished the first one and Oblivion dominates my life right.  I will get to it eventually.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »

I was very conflicted on first Kingdom Hearts. Loved the premise, really wanted to finish it, but the actual combat was tedious as all hell.

I'll take a waiting stand on this. I've no doubt that eventually I'll get it, but it remains to be seen when exactly.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 12:03:52 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
I would love to get this, but I haven't finished the first one and Oblivion dominates my life right.  I will get to it eventually.

i would love to get this game as well...but it isnt released for at least 3-4 months here......SON OF A B................

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 04:19:35 PM »

thanks for the sotry there.  i didnt get to play chain of memories.  I still wanna go back and fight Sephiroth in the first one as well.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 08:23:13 PM »

Good luck against Sephiroth.  I was at level 57, and lasted about 10 seconds, mostly by running away slywink  I knew I couldn't win, but it was great hearing the Sephiroth music again.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 01:40:43 AM »

heh, just noticed this on page 103 of Aprils Game Informer:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Looks like the chicks fron Final Fantasy X-2 and the Black Mage make an appearance.

Because I can,
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 05:44:42 AM »

in the FAQ I read, they recommened that you be at least like level 80 to fight him.

It required you pretty much to do nothing but run around and grind levels.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 06:09:52 AM »

Quote from: "GGMark"
in the FAQ I read, they recommened that you be at least like level 80 to fight him.

It required you pretty much to do nothing but run around and grind levels.

Gah.  I never made it to the end of the first one, but hearing that makes me not want to.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 06:56:04 AM »

Sephiroth is an optional fight, one of those really hard bosses they put in RPGs for people who like a big challenge.  The regular, storyline bosses are much, much easier and shouldn't require any level-grinding to beat.

1Up has posted their review for KH2 here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 07:02:58 AM »

Ah OK, that's much better news!  smile

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 07:34:48 AM »

Yea, he was a side quest thing.  From what I understand there were tywo endings to KH1.  If you beat the game normal, it gave you one ending, but if you went through and finsihed all the sides quests, like 100 Acre Wood, the Dalamations, beating Sephiroth, all that stuff, you got a different ending.

But yes, he was optional.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 08:37:31 AM »

You had to get all the dalmatians, seal all the keyholes, and beat the Hades Cup at the Coliseum, but you didn't have to beat Sephiroth to get the second ending.  You might get a weapon or something, but usually these ultra-hard bosses are just for bragging rights.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »

Just played KHII for about a hour.  Great opening sequence.  Surpise voice actor right away too.  Hmm.  Combat seems pretty much the same, but I dont have anyting but just being able to attack right now.  The story while confusing for now, doesnt seem to be relieing to heavily on Chain of Memories.

Once I get some more realy gameplay in, i will give some more updates.

For those who wanted the limited edition guide, seems it was VERY hard to find.  my EB actually had to go around to ther EB, and gamestop to find extra copies for people who had pre ordered.  The guide looks HUGE as well.

Gonna try and locate a limited edition guide, it comes with a art book of some sort.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 10:42:09 PM »

I've heard the art book really isn't an art book in the sense that everybody thinks...apparently it's more of a kind of sticker-book that you plug stickers into the normal guide.  I guess, from what I've heard.  Still though, mine's preordered and if my GameStop doesn't deliver, there will be hell to pay.

I just watched Mulan in preperation for KH2 - got the DVD awhile ago because I knew it would be an area in KH2 and I really enjoyed it biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 11:55:48 PM »

I stopped by my EB, but no luck.  They said it wil be in tomorrow...  frown

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 12:58:27 AM »

Been playing around with KH1 today and took on Sephiroth at my current-level, 50, where I was able to beat the final boss.

Yeah, he killed me in three hits.  It was cool hearing the music, though!

And there are a couple of other somewhat hidden boss fights that were pretty cool to witness (although I didn't beat them, my skills are RUSTY) - gets me even more psyched up for KH2.

I've been thinking about this; as an avid defender of all things Kingdom Hearts, people talk shit about the original's camera, gummi ship and combat system.

The sequel deals away with the archaic L2-R2 camera system in favor of the right analog stick, the gummi ship has been described as a 3d-Gradius and the combat system seems to be more interesting.  What more could you ask for!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 01:11:29 AM »

Been playing around with KH1 today and took on Sephiroth at my current-level, 50, where I was able to beat the final boss.

Yeah, he killed me in three hits.  It was cool hearing the music, though!

And there are a couple of other somewhat hidden boss fights that were pretty cool to witness (although I didn't beat them, my skills are RUSTY) - gets me even more psyched up for KH2.

I've been thinking about this; as an avid defender of all things Kingdom Hearts, people talk shit about the original's camera, gummi ship and combat system.

The sequel deals away with the archaic L2-R2 camera system in favor of the right analog stick, the gummi ship has been described as a 3d-Gradius and the combat system seems to be more interesting.  What more could you ask for!?

The z-targeting system from Zelda games.  I may rent this game and check it out.  I always wanted to finish the first one, just couldnt get myself interested in it enough and didnt like how the game started.  The combat was ok... just ok though.  Never got to the gummi-ship so I cant comment on that.  Camera angles seemed like typical 3D-fare to me.  Just never got into it enough.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 01:46:42 AM »

I never had a problem with the camera, and I skipped the whole gummi ship building, but the main problem I had with the combat was the lack of options.  For pretty much the whole game, I just rolled out of the way of enemies' attacks and jammed on the X button to hit them.  Magic (other than summoning and healing) seemed pretty worthless, and it seemed too cumbersome to select the special moves using the D-pad.  Even so, I never really got too bored with the combat because it flowed so nicely and looked so good.  The sequel's drive system and reaction commands look like they will greatly improve the combat, especially since I've read that they ditched the platforming elements in favor of all combat.

Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 05:24:22 AM »

IGN gave KH2 a 7.6.  http://ps2.ign.com/articles/698/698697p1.html

So officially Suikoden V, with score of 8.2,  is now their best RPG since Dragon Quest VIII.   :wink:
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 05:28:16 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I never had a problem with the camera, and I skipped the whole gummi ship building, but the main problem I had with the combat was the lack of options.  For pretty much the whole game, I just rolled out of the way of enemies' attacks and jammed on the X button to hit them.

Oh boy - read the IGN review.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 08:28:30 AM »

IGN seems to be alone in their opinion of the game - Gamespy gives it 4.5/5.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 03:12:10 PM »

The reaction abilities, so far, can be tough to hit right.  You start with a reversal ability, which allows you to slip out of the way, and its pretty easy.  but towards the end of the first part, you get a few more to do, and I had some trouble hitting em on time.

The gummi ship in the first one was plain dumb.  I dont know how this is going to be, as I havent gotten to it yet.  Hopefully better.

I am finding I have more problems with the camera now, than I did in the first one.  BUT, I was one of the people who didnt really have any camera issues in the first one.

I am about 4 hours into the game, and I just moved into the main body of the story.  The first part seems set up from KHI, and Chain of memories.  Which was nice, since I didnt play chain of memories.  I am still a bit on the lost side, but at least I have a better understanding if they would have just thrown you in.  I was surprised to hear Christopher Lee.  Kinda nice though.

I really cant wait to get  going in this game.  See the new summons, the new places, the new abilities, and people.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 06:18:43 PM »

I wanted to like the original game since it's release (I didn't have a PS2 at the time) and have tried to play it again recently since the sequel is upon us... but I still can't get into it. It's a very slow, repetitive start with very little Disney to explore or interact with. When I finally got off of that horrible starter island and made it to town I thought the game would really pick up. Unfortunately it's been more of the same frustration but with a heaping heavy portion of Heartless (same mob spawn over and over. Whee!). Making it to Wonderland and past the Queen's cut scene didn't help much so I shut it off again.

My main appeal to this game was to the Disney content and trying explore or interact with the Disney properties. However, it seems that they give you just enough of it to see but barely interact with. Chasing that carrot on a stick. Why have areas like the Dalmation house with three empty rooms and nothing to do in them? Just for the sake of having them?

The camera and the combat haven't been fun at all either. The camera issues have been well documented in various web reviews but the combat seems to be nothing but buttom mashing with the (just now, finally) occasional spell. The early reviews for KH2 are stating there appears to be even more mashing this time around and the game is even easier. Ouch.

Am I just missing the boat on this one or am I expecting too much from it based on the rave reviews I have read over the years? What am I doing wrong with this game? I've played four hours (game clock) so far and don't know how much more I should give it before I throw in the towel.  At this point it would seem I'd be better off just watching the movies over again.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 06:34:39 PM »

Kingdom Hearts is pretty slow up until after Deep Jungle - well, it was to me, actually.  At that point you sort of understand how the game works, start getting some interesting skills / spells / summons.

After that point, it just grabbed me and turned into one of my favorite games of this generation.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2006, 06:48:38 PM »

Kingdom Hearts is pretty slow up until after Deep Jungle - well, it was to me, actually.  At that point you sort of understand how the game works, start getting some interesting skills / spells / summons.

After that point, it just grabbed me and turned into one of my favorite games of this generation.

How much farther away is that from my current Wonderland location?

--Devil
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 06:54:25 PM »

Deep Jungle is after Wonderland...well, I know you can choose it, maybe another world.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 08:52:12 PM »

Well, if you dont like KH1 becuase it takes so long to get to disnet content, I dont recommend, KH2.  I been playing about 5 hours now, and I just got to The Land of Dragons.  Mulans, world.

After doing the first gummi ship 'mission'.  I have to say that the revamp on it was GREAT.  You have to pay attention now.  It looks like you get bonuses for doign well at the end of the trip as well.  At least now there is some reason behind it.

The camera angle switches from forward flying and shooting, to sideways, and backwards, was kinda neat.

5 hours in, I have run into Pete, from the old Mickey Mouse days.  Mickey, Donald, Goofy, the old faerie ladies, merlin, Yen the magician, Leon, Yuffie, Aerith, Mulan, and her dragon.  not to mention whoever Christopher Lee's character is.  And Maleficent has made a apperaance.

Kingdom hearts is about the story.  1 & 2.  There are A LOT of cut scenes so far. To tell the story.  its kinda the same for the Final Fantasy games as well, at least the older ones.  They tell a story and you help.

Yes, there is lots of button 'mashing'.  I just got my first ice spell, and its the crappy one, so even though I went with heavy magic, I am still hampered by no defeense, and no real attack.

With the addition of the 'drive' forms in KH2, that will help me for a bit as the first drive form is Valor, or attack form.

if you come to Kingom hearts looking for Final fantasy.  you wont find it.  I long for turn based party combat as well, but its not here, just as it isnt in most games anymore.  Anyways.  Of course, just like any game, its not for everyone.  Fans of the original i am sure are going to like to this one.  Those who were semi fans, that liked the game if the camera and gummi were fixed, should find that they will like this one.

I didnt like the gummi ship, so its nice to see it fixed.  As for the camera, I liked the first one,  the new one uses the right analog stick to rotate it.  For me I wish it were L1/R1 still.  Oh well.  

I am really liking the game.  I cant wait to see how the story unfolds.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 08:58:50 PM »

Kingdom Hearts is much better than the sum of its parts.  The combat, level design, etc. are not that great in themselves, but taken as a whole, create a captivating, wonderful game.  The beginning is very story-heavy, but after that, its mostly Disney stuff, with occasional story segments, and then story-heavy at the end.  Wonderland is also the least interesting world, so it does get much better.  I'd definitely stick with it - it's worth it.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 09:48:47 PM »

Thank you all for your replies. It certainly sounds as though I'm close to KH1 opening up and meeting my expectations so I'll give it another session or two before I worry again. Another session should take me beyond Wonderland and into the Jungle from the sounds of it. Who knows after that but I am looking forward to any of the improvements you've all mentioned above. I really DO want to like the game.

--Devil
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 10:25:24 PM »

After wonderland, you team up with disney characters too.  I didnt really like wonderland either.  Seemed way to platform-y to me.  Jump here, go back there.  abck and forth between rooms.  blah.

Glad your willing to give it another try.
MilkDud
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 11:02:59 PM »

Just curious, what did everyone pick as their "class".  I went heavy defense, but now I think I might be regretting that decision, just cause I think that could get boring and might lack some neat abilities, any opinions on this?  I'm not too far in where I wouldnt mind starting over.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »

I played through the original picking the mage staff, so I went all out offense for KH2 and grabbed the sword.

I'm impressed with the entire integration of KH + Chain of Memories so far.  I am nearly 3 hours into the game and it's marvelous how they're sort of telling both stories while setting up this one.  And Kairi has aged well, hasn't she?  :wink:

The first boss battle was really cool; seems like the developer's liked God of War  :lol:

I picked up the LE strategy guide and the difference between it and the normal version is that it's bound up in a cool hardcover binder deal, has 1 of 4 special covers and it has this seperate journal-type deal with stickers to track your progress with meeting people, collecting treasure, etc.  Sorta like how the first game's strategy guide had a poster and the stickers for all the Dalmations.  I started using the stickers but realized how retarded I felt putting stickers in a book, so stopped.

A far cry from an alleged art book + soundtrack that the GameStop guys told me back in January.  

I really wouldn't recommend the strategy guide.  While the first game had all those dalmations and some hidden boss fights, a quick glimpse into the index and I don't see anything like that in KH2.  It looks really cool and will provide excellent bathroom reading material, though biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
MilkDud
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 11:42:47 PM »

Can anyone with the guide tell me how the defensive path's abilities compare  to some of the others?  I normally like playing characters that require more finese and speed instead of just killing someone in 3 hits, which is why I went this route, cause I thought with the blocking and such it might make for a more interesting battle, but i have a tendency to second guess myself all the time slywink  Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: