http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 09:52:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Preview] Saints Row 2 - 10 hours of playtime!  (Read 2705 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:57:07 AM »

I got to play Saints Row 2 with no PR folk in site for 10 hours straight!  I've churned out a little preview for ya:

Any questions?  (and yes, that is a picture of a hooker chainsawing another hooker in half...)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:10:32 AM »

My eyes must be going funny.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:18:05 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 12, 2008, 03:10:32 AM

Eh?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:53:35 AM »

OK, I call shenanigans...

there's no way a Pirate and a Ninja would be working together... the Pirate would have his cutlass stabbed through the ninjas throat, and the corpse would be dragged behind the jetski as the Pirate drove away.  I mean seriously, leave WBS and Damage's sexual fantasies out of the previews KTHANXBYE!

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:22:33 AM »

This was totally under my radar... now I have another game that I don't have time to play coming out.  icon_confused

LiveTAG: happydog
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:55:26 AM »

Should I play the original before I start the sequel?  This game looks fun and KD's preview makes it sound even more enticing.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 01:02:12 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on September 12, 2008, 07:55:26 AM

Should I play the original before I start the sequel?  This game looks fun and KD's preview makes it sound even more enticing.

Well, the intro spells out pretty much all you'll need.  You won't have as much of a connection to guys like Johnny, but no biggie.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »

Great preview, Ron.

You sold me.  (well, the fact that it's got drop-in co-op multiplayer didn't hurt, either).

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 12, 2008, 03:18:05 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 12, 2008, 03:10:32 AM

Eh?

Your line about the hookers, right under the preview image was confusing, is all.

As for SR2, I'm IN.  I actually just finished the first one this week.  If you don't get bogged down in the activities (which I had for a long time), it's not too long of a game.  Not to say don't do the activities.  Some of them are very fun.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 02:24:24 PM »

icon_lol  When i read your tag line for this preview my initial thought was, "10 hours!?!  It's THAT friggin' short!?  I'm OUT!". 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 12, 2008, 02:24:24 PM

icon_lol  When i read your tag line for this preview my initial thought was, "10 hours!?!  It's THAT friggin' short!?  I'm OUT!". 

Yeah I read the headline as indicating that the game ranged from 2-10 hours in length depending on how you played smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 03:12:45 PM »

hmmm... apparently I ordered the collectors edition-  I'll have to change that seeing as it doesn't have enough to warrant an extra 20 bucks.

Because I can,
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »

Wow, totally gonna read that preview right now...this was already definitely a must buy on my list though.  Unlike any GTA games in history, i actually finished Saints Row 1 and had a blast all the way...

Neither can i say about any of the GTA games, and i've played (bought) them all..i never finished one and never had pure fun playing them.

Saints Row 2 is gonna KILL it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 04:36:59 PM »

i really loved the first,and was also pretty much the first sandbox game i had completed

i do want this one as well,but from the trailers i have seen the graphics,look no where near as good as the first game(one trailer i saw it was the insurance jobs side missions i think and the guy throws himself in front of the train,but it looked nearly last gen)

am i right or am i just remembering SR1 too fondly?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 04:56:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 12, 2008, 04:36:59 PM

i really loved the first,and was also pretty much the first sandbox game i had completed

i do want this one as well,but from the trailers i have seen the graphics,look no where near as good as the first game(one trailer i saw it was the insurance jobs side missions i think and the guy throws himself in front of the train,but it looked nearly last gen)

am i right or am i just remembering SR1 too fondly?

Graphics are vastly improved over the previous title.  I'm not sure what they did to those trailers or how old the build was, but trust me - the graphics are a far sight better.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 12, 2008, 02:27:34 PM

Yeah I read the headline as indicating that the game ranged from 2-10 hours in length depending on how you played smile

same here.

great preview ron, as always.  

i'm looking forward to this.

overall, does it play like sr1 in H2H, gunfights, and driving or did they change anything?  other than the hostage grab, of course.  what kind of odd weapons did you see?  can you still store and reuse vehicles in a garage?  what about the choppers?  control, variety, customization.  it's obvious they went with the lighter side instead of gta iv's realism, but how detailed are the environments?  how immersive is it?  what about the sounds and music?  little touches really helped liberty city come alive, so how well does stilwater compare?  

thanks as always ron.  there's a reason i go here first for previews and reviews.  

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 12, 2008, 05:02:01 PM

Same here. The worst part? I never played the first, yet I want to play the sequel. This looks to be the game that GTA IV wasn't (go go 'optional' man-dates).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 06:30:51 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 12, 2008, 06:22:03 PM

Same here. The worst part? I never played the first, yet I want to play the sequel. This looks to be the game that GTA IV wasn't (go go 'optional' man-dates).

i have a copy if you want it.  you could go through it pretty quickly if you stick to the main stuff.  a month is certainly enough to get a lot of play time in it.  granted, it doesn't look like much of sr1 knowledge is necessary (heck, ron spoils the ending to sr1 in the preview, so it has to be an item mentioned in sr2 biggrin ) , but it's still worth playing in it's own right.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 07:59:11 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 12, 2008, 06:30:51 PM

i have a copy if you want it.  you could go through it pretty quickly if you stick to the main stuff.  a month is certainly enough to get a lot of play time in it.

Problem being is that I don't have the time to play it. A few months back, sure. But 'tis the season to release all the games at once.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »

Fuck.

I might have to buy this now.  mad
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 09:03:55 PM »

Loved the first game and I am getting this one!  thumbsup

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 12, 2008, 09:03:55 PM

Loved the first game and I am getting this one!  thumbsup

Likewise.  thumbsup

Great preview, Ron.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »

it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a shot at those in the game.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 09:14:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 13, 2008, 09:07:13 PM

it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a shot at those in the game.

They already have in the trailers that they've released. Funny as hell.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 10:29:29 PM »

If anyone is looking for the first one, I saw the platinum edition on clearance at Target for $10.  I thought it was a great game when I played it, but I can certainly understand the flood of upcoming titles outweighing an older game. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 04:47:11 PM »

I so want this game...and i so want this version

Saints Row 2 Xbox 360 Collectorís Edition Contents include:

Limited Edition gun mould packaging (not actually a gun) <<<<thats a shame crybaby
1gig Gold Bullet USB 2.0 Memory stick
Exclusive content, including buddy icons and wallpapers
Limited edition artbook
Stilwater Map poster
Exclusive 3rd Street Saints Poster

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 15, 2008, 04:47:11 PM

I so want this game...and i so want this version

Saints Row 2 Xbox 360 Collectorís Edition Contents include:

Limited Edition gun mould packaging (not actually a gun) <<<<thats a shame crybaby
1gig Gold Bullet USB 2.0 Memory stick
Exclusive content, including buddy icons and wallpapers
Limited edition artbook
Stilwater Map poster
Exclusive 3rd Street Saints Poster

Holy smokes!  That is awesome!!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 12, 2008, 02:27:34 PM

same here.

overall, does it play like sr1 in H2H, gunfights, and driving or did they change anything?  other than the hostage grab, of course.  what kind of odd weapons did you see?  can you still store and reuse vehicles in a garage?  what about the choppers?  control, variety, customization.  it's obvious they went with the lighter side instead of gta iv's realism, but how detailed are the environments?  how immersive is it?  what about the sounds and music?  little touches really helped liberty city come alive, so how well does stilwater compare?  

thanks as always ron.  there's a reason i go here first for previews and reviews.  

Sorry I hadn't gotten to this.  The weekend was a little rough for me.  As for odd weapons, you can weaponize a ton of stuff in the environment.  During the jailbreak I clubbed my way through several halls using a microwave oven.  I even clubbed down somebody with a trashcan.  Once I got the Katana I was pretty happy with my melee options, but I can also see the value of the taser.  smile  

As for storing and re-using vehicles, I don't think I touched on this in my review.  YES!!  A big resounding yes to this!  You can store vehicles in your garage and call on them, similar to what we had in GTA IV, but you can also store choppers on your roof and launch them from there as well.  With multiple cribs throughout the neighborhoods, you aren't ever far from your vehicle of choice.  Modding the vehicles (I like adding kneecapper blades to my vehicles for those pesky pedestrians who have the audacity to walk on my sidewalks) just makes it worth storing them.  When you take a vehicle out you have the option of retrieving it, or repairing it and then retrieving it.  

There is a decent amount of realism in the environment.  It is still essentially Stilwater that you knew in the first game, but little things like fires that continue to burn after you complete a mission to bomb a building are pretty cool.  That particular building seems to smolder indefinitely.  There are a ton of road signs and businesses to explore.  It isn't the nirvana of every building being an open world to explore, but it does the job well.

The sounds and music are subjective.  The voice work is top shelf (although I don't recognize any big names), but the music will be greatly improved by visiting the music store with a few grand in your pocket.  You can make your own playlists as well, so you should be able to find something you like.  Hell, there was even a Paramore song I'd not heard in here.

I'll put it to you this way - I played the game from the second the disc arrived to the second they came to pick it up.  I took a short break for lunch, but beyond that, I just wanted to keep playing.  With GTA IV I never really felt 'connected' with the characters.  Hell, I had to ask myself multiple times "Who is this Bell guy?"  I'm giving this one the thumbs up based on what I've played so far!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 05:01:55 PM »

Man I can't wait for this.  A buddy and I were playing the original over the weekend and couldn't get over how much better, overall at least, it is than GTA IV.  I still say Rockstar has the story down, but as for game play Volition is king.

Great article, Ron!

glyc
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »

sounds good ron.  that ce package looks pretty nice, so i need to decide if it's worth the extra $20.  this would be so much easier if every other FN game i was interested in didn't hit the shelf within weeks of each other.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 15, 2008, 05:16:39 PM

sounds good ron.  that ce package looks pretty nice, so i need to decide if it's worth the extra $20.  this would be so much easier if every other FN game i was interested in didn't hit the shelf within weeks of each other.

No shit. Why I hate this time of year.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 06:56:43 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 15, 2008, 06:44:25 PM

Yeah, I almost wish this one had been pushed off until early next year.  I don't know if I will be buying it with so many other releases coming. 

I hope it doesn't get totally overlooked as the first one was a very good game and this one seems to have improved on that in nearly every way. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 07:35:51 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 15, 2008, 06:56:43 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 15, 2008, 06:44:25 PM

Yeah, I almost wish this one had been pushed off until early next year.  I don't know if I will be buying it with so many other releases coming. 

I hope it doesn't get totally overlooked as the first one was a very good game and this one seems to have improved on that in nearly every way. 

Skip something else - pick this one up while the co-op is hot. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »

$20 cheaper for the PC version, huzzah!

How was the framerate?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 09:06:25 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 15, 2008, 09:01:27 PM

$20 cheaper for the PC version, huzzah!

How was the framerate?

In the time I played I didn't see but one frame hiccup.  It's hard to determine whether that was because it is running debug or not though.  Still, nothing to write home about.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 12:46:40 AM »

I have the CE pre-ordered, but

Collectors Edition includes:

* Embossed Tin
    * Saints Row 2 Money Clip
    * Double-Sided Poster/Map
    * Exclusive Art Book
    * Silver Bullet Shaped 512 MB USB Thumb Drive

really isn't making me feel the need to pay 20 bucks more.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 01:18:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 17, 2008, 12:46:40 AM

* Embossed Tin
    * Exclusive Art Book

Realistically does anyone ever do anything with the extra shit that comes with the CE aside from the initial unpackaging? Out of the handful of CEs I've bought the farthest I've gone is taping an included poster up on my walll.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 01:21:54 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 17, 2008, 01:18:06 AM

* Embossed Tin
    * Exclusive Art Book

Realistically does anyone ever do anything with the extra shit that comes with the CE aside from the initial unpackaging? Out of the handful of CEs I've bought the farthest I've gone is taping an included poster up on my walll.

<glances at GTA IV CE gathering dust>

Because I can,
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 01:46:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 17, 2008, 01:21:54 AM

Quote from: Ridah on September 17, 2008, 01:18:06 AM

* Embossed Tin
    * Exclusive Art Book

<glances at GTA IV CE gathering dust>

Yea, I've found the GTA 4 CE metal locker with keys makes a nice drawer sized handgun locker.  It's currently in use in my socks drawer.

The bag also works as a good carry bag, i been using it to haul stuff like my walkman and crap around.  Kinda nifty, especially with the extra large strap it has.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 04:23:43 PM »

* Embossed Tin
    * Exclusive Art Book

huh,why have you guys only got 512mb USB stick...as posted above,we (UK)get the 1gig stick..and i believe $20...is about £10 for me...thats about 6 bottles of 2ltr Coke,thats not bad really..i have paid more for less on other special editions ..the 1gig USB stick are usually about £5 for a start,with a art book and the crap you can download,i still think its a pretty decent offer

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: