http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:56:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Preview] Hands-On with Fable II  (Read 5491 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2008, 04:13:02 AM »

Yeah, I think Prime's get the free shipping deal on their new release-day delivery.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 04:17:53 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on August 27, 2008, 03:51:15 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 26, 2008, 02:34:20 PM

Release day shipping brings it to 73 bucks.  tempting, but I'd have to have it delivered to work and then it'd be sitting there all day, saying 'play me CeeKay' and there's no way I can get time off that week.  I'll pay the extra to avoid that torture  crybaby

Thanks for the head's up Fellow, I jumped on this at $66 and for me, Amazon said:

"FREE Release-Date Delivery  --get it Tuesday, October 21!"

I wonder if that's because I'm a member of Amazon Prime? Either way, $66 shipped for the CE and get it on release day, woot!

Btw, everyone, if you're interested in this game or on the fence about it, read this:

10 Things You Must Know About Fable 2

yeah, Prime members get it for free.  I don't order enough through them to justify Prime for myself though.

oh, and is this thing on? <tap> ,tap>  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2008, 05:10:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 27, 2008, 04:17:53 AM

yeah, Prime members get it for free.  I don't order enough through them to justify Prime for myself though.

oh, and is this thing on? <tap> ,tap>  Tongue

Ah, cool. Yeah I order a ton of stuff from Amazon, and so if I sign up for Prime in January it's probably paid for itself by March smile I love the service, and I love being able to get stuff overnighted for $3.99.

Glad to see this new release day service, but I take it it's not for all games? I tried to pre-order Spore (PC) and there was no release day option for shipping.

Oh and sorry for missing your 10 Things about Fable 2 post above, I confess I didn't read the whole thread. But hey, it's worth repeating smile
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »

Yeah, the "on-the-date" delivery from Amazon.com is something new that they're giving a shot, and so far has been limited to only a few games. But, if they get the service up and running for all incoming games, so much for Gamestop after that. Especially, if you're a Prime member.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on August 27, 2008, 12:32:33 PM

Yeah, the "on-the-date" delivery from Amazon.com is something new that they're giving a shot, and so far has been limited to only a few games. But, if they get the service up and running for all incoming games, so much for Gamestop after that. Especially, if you're a Prime member.

Definitely. As much as I love Amazon, I tend to avoid them for hot new releases as they seem to be late getting new games (by a few days) and often seem to change their release dates at close to release time. If they can get this release day service going, they'll get all my new game business.

Their price on Fable 2 CE is back to $79, so thanks again Fellow, for the heads-up! you saved me $13!

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »

I grabbed the CE just before they bumped the price back up.  I have Prime, so free shipping for me!

It seems like Amazon's pretty good with launch day for major releases, but not so good on smaller games.  For example, a guy at work and I each preordered GTA4 from Amazon.  I got overnight, he got two day shipping.  We both got it at the same time on launch day.  I preordered Patapon, and that got to me a week after it came out.

It would be awesome if they did release day shipping for everything, but realistically, it only works on street dated titles that get shipped to stores and warehouses prior to launch day, so that Amazon can send them early.  Regular releases (like most games) can't have that because the launch day is the day they leave the publisher's warehouse.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 26, 2008, 02:42:07 PM

Quote from: Eightball on August 26, 2008, 02:38:55 PM

I finally unlocked all 15 items in the Fable II Pub Games XLBA game. 

I will never, ever, play spinnerbox again.

why couldn't they have a proper gambling game like poker or blackjack?  even the original (which I'm replaying right now on the PC) had blackjack.

Yeah, gotta love that spinnerbox!  I played it for a long time before I realized I could hit "A" twice to speed things up.

I started the games yesterday, and decided not to break the TV after my session with Ye Olde Spinnerbox, but just barely.  I managed about half of the Achievements, although I have been putting off actually learning how to play Keystone. I'm not good without manuals and guides, lol.  retard

I enjoyed the Tower game far more, as have most people.  It has just enough skill and suspense to get me playing it more, and has that "just one more game" thing going on, too. 

CeeKay, you're right - a little game of 21, or whatever, would have been a nice addition.  I wonder if they'd possibly release a few more games to DLC? If they added something with a lot more skill required - like Free Cell, OMG, I'd be so IN!  I'm not great at a lot of things, but I OWN Free Cell!   icon_twisted

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 04:39:48 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on August 27, 2008, 03:58:06 PM

Yeah, gotta love that spinnerbox!  I played it for a long time before I realized I could hit "A" twice to speed things up.

LOL,you still crack me up Myto icon_lol

i am hoping that in the actual game FABLE II in the pubs whatever there will be more games to play

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »

oddly enough, release day shipping for this is cheaper than every option except 3-5 day.  not sure what's up with that.  of course, being in washington state, i get to pay sales tax on this, so it comes up to 79 and change, basically saving me the cost of tax.  hmmm...

i must have missed the extra dungeon content earlier.  

oh what the hell.  ordered.  look for me in the funky green armor.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2008, 05:58:43 PM »

I managed about half of the Achievements, although I have been putting off actually learning how to play Keystone. I'm not good without manuals and guides, lol.  retard

If you want to cheese the Keystone tournaments, this worked for me for all of them.

Pay the entry fee.  Put one outer arch bet.  Then every roll, bet max on all the triples (bottom row).  There's a chance you'll run out of money, in which you end up losing the entry fee.  However, there's a good chance at some point they'll roll a triple, and then you earn an insane amount.  You hit it once, you're basically guarenteed a top 5 finish (though I was 1 or 2 on every time it hit the triple, and usually #1 by a long stretch).
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 27, 2008, 05:58:43 PM

I managed about half of the Achievements, although I have been putting off actually learning how to play Keystone. I'm not good without manuals and guides, lol.  retard

If you want to cheese the Keystone tournaments, this worked for me for all of them.

Pay the entry fee.  Put one outer arch bet.  Then every roll, bet max on all the triples (bottom row).  There's a chance you'll run out of money, in which you end up losing the entry fee.  However, there's a good chance at some point they'll roll a triple, and then you earn an insane amount.  You hit it once, you're basically guarenteed a top 5 finish (though I was 1 or 2 on every time it hit the triple, and usually #1 by a long stretch).

Nice, 8'ball!  Thanks, I had only gotten as far as figuring out what the heck an inside bet is vs. a Keystone bet - and how to place bets.  Lots of low-bet playing didn't illuminate much for me.  I'll be  giving your hint a shot next. I shouldn't run out of money too quickly, I have about 30k free and clear, plus the Infinite Bank Borrowing, of course. 

All this time I thought my parents had raised me right - they taught the kids how to play Poker almost from birth, but alas, no Roulette type games.  Sheesh, parents today (erm, a little longer ago than that)!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on August 27, 2008, 06:53:03 PM

Nice, 8'ball!  Thanks, I had only gotten as far as figuring out what the heck an inside bet is vs. a Keystone bet - and how to place bets.  Lots of low-bet playing didn't illuminate much for me.  I'll be  giving your hint a shot next. I shouldn't run out of money too quickly, I have about 30k free and clear, plus the Infinite Bank Borrowing, of course.

To be completely clear, I wouldn't play the non-tournament Keystone at all (I think they're sucker odds), but this works for the tournaments to unlock the items.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »

OMG, just shoot me now!

Now I know why everyone was going so crazy on Spinnerbox - it was the Tournaments, wasn't it, lol?  I thought it was just it's regular annoying mode, but I just finished getting the Mysterious Ring, and I can barely type this post.

Thanks to Eightball, I finally had enough cash to throw around, so I decided I'd go for the 5-star Tournament items first, so it would all be easier from there.  I managed it, but now I'm not too sure I'll be able to force myself back to the lower levels of Spinnerbox Tournament.  Ugggh! And Arrrgh!   mad

I'm pretty sure I learned one of the secrets though, to ranking high on it:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Someone said that the key seemed to be hitting "A" for the second time, as soon as you see one spinner symbol appear.  I'm too spastic for that, so I just hit "A" as fast as I could the whole time, lol, until I had to shake the cramps out of my hand.  Remarkably, someone else said you're better off not even looking at the television.  I tried just plain casual, I wasn't even close.  Then I tried the first method and ended up like 19th or something.  I combined the other two - fast as you can "A" strikes while not looking at the TV.  I came in 3rd.

Coincidence?  I think maybe not... here is one of the sites I found talking about it:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/fableiipubgames/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-44927548&pid=951203

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 01:48:32 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 27, 2008, 04:41:41 PM

oddly enough, release day shipping for this is cheaper than every option except 3-5 day.  not sure what's up with that.  of course, being in washington state, i get to pay sales tax on this, so it comes up to 79 and change, basically saving me the cost of tax.  hmmm...

i must have missed the extra dungeon content earlier.  

oh what the hell.  ordered.  look for me in the funky green armor.

Odds are, the price will drop again before the release. The cool thing about pre-ordering with Amazon is, if the price *ever* drops between when you order it and when it ships, you get the lowest price at any point, not the price you initially agreed to. So if it goes to $66 again, you'll still get it, and you don't need to take any action. Pretty cool.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »

I was watching videos of the devs playing this and was entirely underwhelmed, granted I realize they were only showing the basics of combat and questing but it looked like something I've done a million times before and generic at that. Unless word is good that this is anything but a generic action-RPG with some slightly unique gameplay twists, I'm OUT.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 05:21:07 PM »

a new vid of gameplay/interview

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39599.html

this older video is pretty interesting as well,talks about how everyones location is loaded to a server so you can see all the other people playing around Albion,and also he talks about the importance of making sure you have the safety ON when other people are visiting your game

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37587.html

and he does actually mention Fable III...which i guess is really a no-brainer

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 03:43:41 PM »

IGN has a new interview up:

you invest, you'll notice that over your hero's head, every five minutes of real-world time, you'll get the income from that investment. So if you have a stall in Bowerstone market, every five minutes you'll get ten gold, doesn't matter if you're out in the wild, or you're questing, or whatever it is, you'll get that ten gold. The cool thing about that ten gold? If you turn your Xbox off, you'll still earn the ten gold every five minutes. So if you go to bed at night and you get up in the morning and you turn on your 360 and go into the Fable world, there'll be one hundred gold waiting for you. For me, I found I was compulsively going round and buying things before I went to bed...

it's going to be a long month....

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 04:16:03 PM »

wow,and with the cheat in fable 2 pub games  disgust...seems they just want to give the money away

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2008, 04:18:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2008, 03:43:41 PM

you invest, you'll notice that over your hero's head, every five minutes of real-world time, you'll get the income from that investment. So if you have a stall in Bowerstone market, every five minutes you'll get ten gold, doesn't matter if you're out in the wild, or you're questing, or whatever it is, you'll get that ten gold. The cool thing about that ten gold? If you turn your Xbox off, you'll still earn the ten gold every five minutes. So if you go to bed at night and you get up in the morning and you turn on your 360 and go into the Fable world, there'll be one hundred gold waiting for you. For me, I found I was compulsively going round and buying things before I went to bed...

I don't like this trend of earning stuff while you're not playing (it was in that DS game The World Ends With You, too).  It seems to encourage you not to play.  On the other hand, a game like Animal Crossing would punish you for not playing, infesting your homestead with weeds and roaches.  That makes more sense to me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2008, 04:20:21 PM »

don't forget they made it so you aren't getting gold rewards for finishing quests this time around, so any gold you get has to be looted or earned.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2008, 04:27:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 23, 2008, 04:16:03 PM

wow,and with the cheat in fable 2 pub games  disgust...seems they just want to give the money away
I will own every square inch of Albion.  Muhahhaha!!!!   drool

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2008, 05:01:52 PM »

That gambling "feature" has since been fixed in a patch, I believe.

Though that tends to lead credence to the thought that Molyneux was full of crap when he said that glitch was intentional.  If it was intentional...why fix it?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 23, 2008, 04:18:17 PM

I don't see how it encourages you not to play, at least in Fable's case. You earn on your investments while you are playing and while you aren't, which makes sense.

I don't like this trend of earning stuff while you're not playing (it was in that DS game The World Ends With You, too).  It seems to encourage you not to play.  On the other hand, a game like Animal Crossing would punish you for not playing, infesting your homestead with weeds and roaches.  That makes more sense to me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 23, 2008, 05:09:51 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 23, 2008, 04:18:17 PM

I don't see how it encourages you not to play, at least in Fable's case. You earn on your investments while you are playing and while you aren't, which makes sense.

Is the game world progressing while you're not playing?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2008, 09:51:17 PM »

Online co-op will not ship with the game.  Good, I don't have to worry about Harkonis entering my game and raping my wife during my first playthrough  slywink

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2008, 12:09:10 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2008, 09:51:17 PM

Online co-op will not ship with the game.  Good, I don't have to worry about Harkonis entering my game and raping my wife during my first playthrough  slywink

LOL,yeah there was actually a queue for that icon_biggrin

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2008, 09:08:14 PM »

http://community.lionhead.com/blogs/fable_2_development/archive/2008/10/01/3087970.aspx

Grr..  No physical items will be released with the LE now...just the in-game content. :/

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »

as long as they're sticking with lowering the price I'll still grab the LE.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2008, 05:26:26 AM »

So now online co-op is coming in a patch and "due to supply chain issues" they aren't putting anything special in with the LE?  Boy, this doesn't reak of rushed to market at all. 

Maybe they can cut the story out of Gears of War 2 again, too. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2008, 12:29:24 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 02, 2008, 05:26:26 AM

So now online co-op is coming in a patch and "due to supply chain issues" they aren't putting anything special in with the LE?  Boy, this doesn't reak of rushed to market at all. 

The physical side doesn't seem like "rushed to market."  Surely manufacturing should have planned for a Holiday 08 release.  It was announced forever ago.  Even if they decided to hold off on the release to get online co-op in, the physical materials should have been ready to go.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 02, 2008, 12:29:24 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 02, 2008, 05:26:26 AM

The physical side doesn't seem like "rushed to market."  Surely manufacturing should have planned for a Holiday 08 release.  It was announced forever ago.  Even if they decided to hold off on the release to get online co-op in, the physical materials should have been ready to go.

yeah, that stuff should have already been sitting in a warehouse.  Hopefully 'supply chain issues' don't affect the Fallout 3 Lunch Box Edition.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: