http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 11:17:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Preview] Guitar Hero III  (Read 2802 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2007, 04:59:36 PM »

Mike put together a sweet Guitar Hero III preview that covers several versions of the game, gives you a look at the guitars, and has a sweet video at the very end showing some gameplay.  Questions for Mike?  Post em here! 

Hit the front page for a kickass banner too. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:11:02 PM »

I couldn't have broken my finger at a worse time.  I was actually looking longingly at my GHII guitars sitting in the corner of our living room last night, wondering if I will ever wield my axe with the same skill and vigor again.  I am already losing mobility and dexterity in my left hand due to the break, and four to six weeks of healing time will certainly dampen my skills and ability to play.  But the lead guitarist of Asbestosis will play again.  I will go through physical therapy and rehabilitate my potentially career-ending injury and I will come back stronger than ever.  If Def Leppard's drummer can play with one arm, it's not like I lost a finger, I merely broke one. 

I will rock again! 

Just not in time for Guitar Hero III.   icon_frown

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »

That's really cool how the Wii version will play the missed note sounds from the guitar.  Also really nice to hear about being able to switch places in multiplayer in-game instead of physically moving yourselves; that situation came up a lot even with just 4 people over playing.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »

I'm still torn b/t GHIII for the Wii or buying a 360 for Rock Band. I'm just not a big fan of the GH song selection.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »

It's becoming more and more tempting to plunk down the extra $$ for the new wireless controller.  I don't like the Xplorer's shape anyways, and this new one sounds very cool. 

I still hate the co-op only songs, but oh well.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:06:55 PM »

After being spoiled by the new guitar and the new game, I have found that GHs I and II just don't carry the same spark for me....

It's gonna be a loooong month!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 06:22:24 PM »

I am confused. GT's preview says the Wii will have online, but in an interview with Gamespot they say it won't. They added it could be added later.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/guitarheroiii/news.html?sid=6180442

GS: So it won't launch with online play?

CH: Unfortunately it won't. But we're working with Nintendo to make it happen down the road. Things are just coming together a little bit too slow for launch.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 09:14:20 PM »

Purists have met this concept with disdain since it was announced,

I'm one of the purists.   Do you have to play "Battle Mode" to get through the SP game (i.e. the Boss Battles)?   Are certain songs only unlocked by winning the boss battle?   

- shaggy

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 01:20:02 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 05, 2007, 06:22:24 PM

I am confused. GT's preview says the Wii will have online, but in an interview with Gamespot they say it won't. They added it could be added later.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/guitarheroiii/news.html?sid=6180442

GS: So it won't launch with online play?

CH: Unfortunately it won't. But we're working with Nintendo to make it happen down the road. Things are just coming together a little bit too slow for launch.

They are referring to downloadable content, not the whole game.  from the same article:
"Obviously, Nintendo's first-party titles will be the first out there with DLC and online play, but we're hoping to be the first third-party title with those features."

And of course, well, I played it....

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 01:22:55 AM by th'FOOL » Logged

Mike Dunn
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 04:39:37 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 05, 2007, 05:11:02 PM

I couldn't have broken my finger at a worse time.

Interestingly enough, this happened to m etoday.  crybaby

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 04:43:18 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 07, 2007, 04:39:37 AM

Oh my god!!!! It's the Gaming Trend/Guitar Hero Curse!!!!  Who will be the next to fall?!?!?!?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 04:44:35 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 07, 2007, 04:43:18 AM

Oh my god!!!! It's the Gaming Trend/Guitar Hero Curse!!!!  Who will be the next to fall?!?!?!?

Tune in tomorrow and find out!

As for me, it's Percoset time...

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 02:55:04 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 07, 2007, 04:44:35 AM

Quote from: The Grue on October 07, 2007, 04:43:18 AM

Tune in tomorrow and find out!

As for me, it's Percoset time...

I felt like I was doing pretty well, not really needing to use much of my Vicodin supply as I'm usually pretty good with pain.  And then Simba ran his head right into my finger as he ran toward the door to see who was walking by.  icon_eek

Needless to say, I revisited Vicodin Land last night.  "Welcome back, Mr. Rock.  It's nice to see you again."     

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »

I couldn't have broken my finger at a worse time.  I was actually looking longingly at my GHII guitars sitting in the corner of our living room last night, wondering if I will ever wield my axe with the same skill and vigor again.  I am already losing mobility and dexterity in my left hand due to the break, and four to six weeks of healing time will certainly dampen my skills and ability to play.  But the lead guitarist of Asbestosis will play again.  I will go through physical therapy and rehabilitate my potentially career-ending injury and I will come back stronger than ever.  If Def Leppard's drummer can play with one arm, it's not like I lost a finger, I merely broke one. 

I will rock again! 

Just not in time for Guitar Hero III.   icon_frown

can't you just play with your other hand?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 01:18:38 AM »

This may have already been answered, but will the wireless guitar that comes with GHIII be compatible with Rock Band (the 360 version)?  I wasn't planning on picking it up, but the couple previews I've read make it out to be a vast improvement over the Xplorer.  And wireless would be very nice, since Vader seems to really enjoy the "jump back-and-forth over the cord" game.

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 02:57:46 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 08, 2007, 01:18:38 AM

This may have already been answered, but will the wireless guitar that comes with GHIII be compatible with Rock Band (the 360 version)?  I wasn't planning on picking it up, but the couple previews I've read make it out to be a vast improvement over the Xplorer.  And wireless would be very nice, since Vader seems to really enjoy the "jump back-and-forth over the cord" game.

I think this is highly doubtful.  Red Octane isn't making the Rock Band controller and the fact that the new Les Paul controller won't be compatible with Guitar Hero II on the 360 is very telling.

Mike Dunn
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 04:24:39 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 08, 2007, 02:57:46 AM

I think this is highly doubtful.  Red Octane isn't making the Rock Band controller and the fact that the new Les Paul controller won't be compatible with Guitar Hero II on the 360 is very telling.

Do you have a source for that information?  I was counting on it being compatible with GH2.  To me, the game doesn't need to support it, since it shouldn't care how the input gets to the game, as long as it does.  Just like you can use a wired 360 controller in any game just the same as a wireless one.  Do you know this for certain?  Also, you are supposed to  be able to use the GH2 360 controller just fine in Rock Band, so again, will the wireless part matter?

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 05:21:58 AM »

The question of whether or not the GHIII 360 controller would work with GHII was asked at the event, and the Red Octane rep said no.

That said, I'll double-check that.  There is an off-chance I'm confusing it with PS3 compatibility, as there are already issues there with GHI and II.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 05:34:28 AM by th'FOOL » Logged

Mike Dunn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 05:39:12 AM »

wow, so  if I liked GH3 and wanted to get GH2 I'd possibly have to buy a new controller.  talk about a dumb move on their part if true.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 07:19:14 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 08, 2007, 05:21:58 AM

The question of whether or not the GHIII 360 controller would work with GHII was asked at the event, and the Red Octane rep said no.

That said, I'll double-check that.  There is an off-chance I'm confusing it with PS3 compatibility, as there are already issues there with GHI and II.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/puzzle/guitarheroiii/news.html?sid=6180442&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;3

While guitar battles waged for hours at dozens of demo stations, representatives of RedOctane and the development team at Neversoft wandered the crowd, ready to answer an abundance of nitpicky questions, many of which had short, simple answers. For instance, while the PS3 is backward compatible and can technically run the first two PS2 Guitar Hero games, the new PS3 Les Paul controller won't work with those games. The Les Paul faceplates for the PS3 and Xbox 360 are interchangeable, but the Wii Les Paul needs its own unique faceplates because of the controller's design. Guitar Hero III for the Xbox 360 will not be able to backward compatible with Guitar Hero II's downloadable content packs.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 12:45:29 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 08, 2007, 07:19:14 AM

While guitar battles waged for hours at dozens of demo stations, representatives of RedOctane and the development team at Neversoft wandered the crowd, ready to answer an abundance of nitpicky questions, many of which had short, simple answers. For instance, while the PS3 is backward compatible and can technically run the first two PS2 Guitar Hero games, the new PS3 Les Paul controller won't work with those games. The Les Paul faceplates for the PS3 and Xbox 360 are interchangeable, but the Wii Les Paul needs its own unique faceplates because of the controller's design. Guitar Hero III for the Xbox 360 will not be able to backward compatible with Guitar Hero II's downloadable content packs.

Not being able to play DLC in GH3, I expected.  I will still be keeping GH2 anyway.  There's some proof in there Th'Fool might have been confusing it with PS3.  Don't see anything mentioned about GH3 controller not working with GH2 controller.  CeeKay brings up a very good point which is that it would be kind of strange to alienate people who bought GH2.  You can buy 3rd party wireless controllers for GH1 and GH2 on the PS2 and they work fine, so I am still hopeful Th'Fool was wrong on this one. smile

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 08, 2007, 05:39:12 AM

wow, so  if I liked GH3 and wanted to get GH2 I'd possibly have to buy a new controller.  talk about a dumb move on their part if true.

even if the GH3 controller works with GH2, you'll still have to buy GH2 with another controller.  there is currently no option to buy a standalone GH2 for the 360, only bundles with the X-plorer.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 03:56:20 PM »

If I've never played a GH game, will I be really frustrated, or are there different difficulty modes to learn on?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 08, 2007, 03:56:20 PM

If I've never played a GH game, will I be really frustrated, or are there different difficulty modes to learn on?

Don't worry, these games ease you into things.  Easy has things greatly simplified and only uses three of the five frets.  Medium adds a 4th fret, Hard a 5th.  In addition, each difficulty level has various tiers that increase in difficulty as you go on.  So once you've mastered the 3rd or 4th tier of Easy, you might be ready to attempt the 1st tier of Medium, and so forth.

There's also a series of tutorials to go over the basic concepts.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 08, 2007, 04:04:17 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 08, 2007, 03:56:20 PM

Don't worry, these games ease you into things.  Easy has things greatly simplified and only uses three of the five frets.  Medium adds a 4th fret, Hard a 5th.  In addition, each difficulty level has various tiers that increase in difficulty as you go on.  So once you've mastered the 3rd or 4th tier of Easy, you might be ready to attempt the 1st tier of Medium, and so forth.

There's also a series of tutorials to go over the basic concepts.

Great, thanks man!
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 04:40:30 PM »

Ok, so now im totally confused.

So I currently have a PS3.   I also own a PS2, with Guitar Hero and the 80's version.    So if I buy a guitar for the PS3, that guitar will only work with GH3, and not the ps2 versions of the games?   

I have guitar hero 2 for the Xbox 360.  The 2 guitars I currently own wont work with Guitar hero 3??

Sweet mother

-Dback

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 04:48:54 PM »

Quote from: dback99 on October 08, 2007, 04:40:30 PM

So I currently have a PS3.   I also own a PS2, with Guitar Hero and the 80's version.    So if I buy a guitar for the PS3, that guitar will only work with GH3, and not the ps2 versions of the games?   

Correct.

I have guitar hero 2 for the Xbox 360.  The 2 guitars I currently own wont work with Guitar hero 3??

It looks like you're fine here.  They haven't explicitly called it out like they have the PS3's incompatibility.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 05:31:08 PM »

Yeah, it looks like I got it mixed up.  I do seem to recall some issue with the downloadable content, however, so let me verify that.

Mike Dunn
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 07:47:07 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 08, 2007, 05:31:08 PM

Yeah, it looks like I got it mixed up.  I do seem to recall some issue with the downloadable content, however, so let me verify that.

The only reason I am so concerned is that my movers lost my 360 GH2 guitar on the move to Denver.  Instead of just buying GH2 again, I figured I would take the money I got back and buy GH3 with the wireless, since I still have the GH2 game itself.  I have suffered a great deal not having that guitar and to have my plans shattered now would just push me over the edge.  crybaby

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 09:36:54 PM »

Ok, got clarification.  The 360 controllers (GH II and GH III) will work for all 360 content.  Once you try the GH III guitar, however, you'll want to ditch the old one slywink

Mike Dunn
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 08, 2007, 09:36:54 PM

Ok, got clarification.  The 360 controllers (GH II and GH III) will work for all 360 content.  Once you try the GH III guitar, however, you'll want to ditch the old one slywink

Yahoo!  Can't wait to finally play the My Chemical Romance DLC with the wireless controller.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 11:43:10 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 08, 2007, 10:37:49 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 08, 2007, 09:36:54 PM

Yahoo!  Can't wait to finally play the My Chemical Romance DLC with the wireless controller.

So you're the one...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 12:20:58 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 08, 2007, 11:43:10 PM

So you're the one...

It's a guilty pleasure.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 11:29:39 AM »

Quote from: disarm on October 08, 2007, 03:52:13 PM

there is currently no option to buy a standalone GH2 for the 360

That's OTW

As for the battle mode, when I saw this a few weeks ago in Vegas, it looked awful.
We actually saw live head to head battles for both GH III and Rock Band (drums).
The Rock Band duel was a nail-biting test of skill.
The GH III fight was too for maybe 30 seconds, up until somebody got the first power-up and hit the "I win"
flourish, at which point the whole thing was over for all practical purposes.

I think Mike's description of GH meets Mario Kart is very appropriate,
but at least when we saw it, the balance was way out of whack,
which may have been tweaked since then, certainly.
Still, I can't help but wonder if GH players really want to be playing
Mario Kart.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 11:36:21 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 09, 2007, 11:29:39 AM

As for the battle mode, when I saw this a few weeks ago in Vegas, it looked awful.
We actually saw live head to head battles for both GH III and Rock Band (drums).
The Rock Band duel was a nail-biting test of skill.
The GH III fight was too for maybe 30 seconds, up until somebody got the first power-up and hit the "I win"
flourish, at which point the whole thing was over for all practical purposes.

I think Mike's description of GH meets Mario Kart is very appropriate,
but at least when we saw it, the balance was way out of whack,
which may have been tweaked since then, certainly.
Still, I can't help but wonder if GH players really want to be playing
Mario Kart.

Yes, I totally agree with you.  I have been very conflicted about this battle mode.  The good news is its not the only multiplayer mode, so I can still play it pure, if I don't like it.  I will definitely give it a try and try to keep an open mind on it.

crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 03:23:56 PM »

Is it going to be possible to buy just the new guitar for xbox? I have looked around from gamestop to the red octane store and all I can find is the guitar bundled with the game or the game itself.

From what I have read I am going to want 2 of new guitars instead of using my xplorer.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 03:31:29 PM »

Quote from: crumsteel on October 09, 2007, 03:23:56 PM

Is it going to be possible to buy just the new guitar for xbox?

I don't know if there's any official word, but I think there's a pretty good chance they'll be offering standalone guitars on the Red Octane website.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 05:54:52 PM »

After reading this, and considering how bad I want Rock Band, I'll probably break both arms and get a bad case of laringitis on Nov 22nd... alll caused by an exploding television. Nov 22nd also happens to be my 29th birthday.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 06:11:07 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on October 09, 2007, 05:54:52 PM

After reading this, and considering how bad I want Rock Band, I'll probably break both arms and get a bad case of laringitis on Nov 22nd... alll caused by an exploding television. Nov 22nd also happens to be my 29th birthday.

Hey, you could still work the bass pedal!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: