http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 09:19:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Preview] Enemy Territory: Quake Wars  (Read 2994 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2007, 03:11:55 PM »

Any questions? biggrin

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 03:43:16 PM »

Is it the multiplayer FPS gaming nerdvana I envision it to be?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:49:51 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 02, 2007, 03:43:16 PM

Is it the multiplayer FPS gaming nerdvana I envision it to be?

Surprisingly yes.  I played BF1942 and LOOOOOOVVEEEDDD it when I had a great team together and we all focused on one objective at a time.  BF Vietnam, BF2, and BF2142 turned into smacktard city as everyone camped and TKed to get vehicles to run off and do their own thing.  Quake Wars is built around team play.  Running off and doing your own thing accomplishes nothing.   For a bunch of press members who only loosly know one another to work this well as a team is a testament to the game design.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:52:29 PM »

Goliath This vehicle is essentially a mech.  It is roughly 50 feet in height, easily crushing infantry under its chicken-walker feet. 

holy zombie jesus!  me wantsa!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:53:52 PM »

I was a huge, huge fan of Enemy Territory.  I loved how they incentivized teamplay, and it worked really well.

Any chance they are interested in beta test help?   icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

I used to literally stay up all night playing ET.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:18:55 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 02, 2007, 04:53:52 PM

I was a huge, huge fan of Enemy Territory.  I loved how they incentivized teamplay, and it worked really well.

Any chance they are interested in beta test help?   icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

I'll be getting beta access to you guys as soon as I can. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 06:50:23 PM »

What was the infantry combat like?  Tactical or a bunny hopping spam fest?
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 07:32:34 PM »

I will kill to get in the beta. Seriously, that preview has got me so pumped up... my god. I just want it to release tomorrow.  icon_eek

GREAT work Ron. I mean wow, that was a damn fine read. I frickin' love multiplayer FPS, but you are completely right that fighting in Smacktard City is annoying as crap, and I'm dying for some good teamwork initiatives. I mean, team points in Battlefield pretty much meant people would spam medic packs all over the place or revive you in front of a Tank. Yeah, thanks a lot teammate, here's your teamwork badge. Or not.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on April 02, 2007, 06:50:23 PM

Very tactical.  I saw absolutely no bunny hopping, and it really didn't seem to make any difference if you jumped anyway.  I was honestly shocked at the balance for a pre beta title. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 08:24:14 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 02, 2007, 07:44:03 PM

Very tactical.  I saw absolutely no bunny hopping, and it really didn't seem to make any difference if you jumped anyway.  I was honestly shocked at the balance for a pre beta title. 

Something to note...

I played this last summer at Quake Con, and it was downright beautiful.  Of course, I saw a single level (the water plant one Ron describes), and the experience point system/class objectives weren't in the game.  That said, I would have purchased it right then and there.  The game I saw at Quakecon '06 was ready to go (in my opinion) and looked as good as or better than the unreleased BF2142. smile 

I will note that I only played a few rounds (3, maybe 4) of the map, and only really struggled with the flying vehicles...for the same reason it took me time to learn how to fly with a mouse in BF2.  The ground & vehicle combat was great, and airdropping in turrets was fun to do. From Ron's preview, the only feature that they wanted to implement but hasn't appeared yet is an auto-fireteam objective system (aka, system says Engineer, get the MCP through the tunnel.  Form Fireteam? -> Then autoinvites soldiers who don't have objectives set to join the Fireteam and provides them with a support objective).   That level of coordination may just be left up to the players. 

When I talked with Paul,  he put the objective system this way: "When the product is finished, I want to sit my father down in front of the computer, show him how to move around and then let the game direct him on where he is needed during regular play.  I don't want him running around not understanding what is going on or missing tactical opportunities just because he doesn't know the map."  That's a paraphrase since it has been some time since I talked to him, but it gets the point.  I'm looking forward to this because Assault in UT2k3 just hasn't panned out, and this will give me my team objective gameplay that I want.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 08:26:48 PM »

Ahhh, there was something in the corner that said "Fireteam" but I didn't tinker with it.  I'll follow up on that, but it appears that they are still putting it in the game.

As far as the flying vehicles, they have implemented a 'simple' flying scheme.  Pick up and play simple - the only thing I had to do was turn off the stupid invert and I was flying around like crazy.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 12:00:24 AM »

Did you get to play with the giant 50 foot mechs?  if so do tell!

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 01:29:09 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 02, 2007, 05:18:55 PM

Any chance they are interested in beta test help?   icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Think of your staff who moderates your forums for free Tongue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 01:38:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 03, 2007, 12:00:24 AM

Did you get to play with the giant 50 foot mechs?  if so do tell!

Hell yea!  The Goliath is pretty awesome.  It is slow moving, but does an incredible amount of damage.  Tanks and choppers (GET TO THE CHOPPA!) have a hard time taking it out.  It is pretty brutal and can be crewed by two people.  It makes the last part of the sewer mission hard as the Strogg get it as a defensive item to hold the last two objectives.  Artillery was how I chose to counter the bastard.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 01:39:06 AM »

Quote from: naednek on April 03, 2007, 01:29:09 AM

Not to worry, I'm tryin!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 01:41:30 AM »

I would love to play this game...as of right now, it is a day one purchase for me.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 04:06:43 AM »

Those missions that the map gives various classes is a great idea, along with the more story based missions.  It's very much the asymmetrical kind of online FPS gameplay I've been looking for.  Instead of simply dropping all this stuff for players to run around crazy with in MP (e.g. BF2), they use each asset more like in a SP game, structuring the missions to be more interesting.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 04:57:19 AM »

Can your soldier be customizable, or is this Clone Wars again?

Just Hiro will do.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 05:52:55 AM »

RE: Bunnyhopping-

In ET, jumping used energy, which is the pool all abilities pull from.  So if you want to bunny-hop, don't expect to be using your special skills much.

Obviously, not many people did it.  Also, it didn't seem to work too good anyway, since everyone was using machine guns (for the most part).  I guess that's another thing: you couldn't really take more than a few hits in ET.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 06:39:21 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 02, 2007, 07:44:03 PM

What do you mean when you say that jumping makes no difference?  If the game doesn't implement bunny hopping disincentives, such as not being able to fire while jumping, then pub server players will hop all over the place, guaranteed.

Also, what is the ballistics model like?  Does the game implement iron sights aiming?  Weapon accuracy based on movement speed and stance?  Bullet tracers?  What about physics?  Havok?  Proprietary but Havok-esque like Doom 3?

Finally, your preview refers to Quake Wars as a coop game on the last page.  Does that mean AI players have been added?  If not, I think ET:QW would actually be considered a competitive, team-based multiplayer game.  Coop implies AI, usually within some sort of structured campaign (which, as I understand, the groupings of levels in QW might qualify as.  So please clarify!).

Thanks for the thorough preview, Ron!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 11:45:22 AM »

IN! IN! IN!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 02:23:07 PM »

Quote from: Luke on April 03, 2007, 06:39:21 AM

What do you mean when you say that jumping makes no difference?  If the game doesn't implement bunny hopping disincentives, such as not being able to fire while jumping, then pub server players will hop all over the place, guaranteed.

Maybe the guns put out so much awesome firepower that jumping won't cause you to get hit any less  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 03:19:47 PM »

How powerful are air vehicles?  Are they overpowered like in BF2?
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 07:25:58 PM »

Any word on when we can read the interview?

matt "mattc0m" richards
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 08:12:06 PM »

Sounds like vehicles aren't just sitting around on the map anymore, instead they're requisitioned by engineers.  That's a really good change I think.  In BF2 the game become vehicle spam to the extreme.  Since you order vehicles now, you can tailor your vehicle use to the task at hand.
SwampIrish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 03, 2007, 01:39:06 AM

Quote from: naednek on April 03, 2007, 01:29:09 AM

Not to worry, I'm tryin!

I'm new here but if charity becomes you then...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 11:08:38 PM by SwampIrish » Logged
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 11:14:43 PM »

I probably know the answer to this already but it's worth a shot: Are there bots?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 12:04:15 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on April 04, 2007, 11:14:43 PM

I probably know the answer to this already but it's worth a shot: Are there bots?

Yes but no single-player.

matt "mattc0m" richards
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 12:34:20 AM »

Anyone how good the bots are?  I mean, do they just help fill out a team, or would they be challenging to fight against?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on April 03, 2007, 04:57:19 AM

Can your soldier be customizable, or is this Clone Wars again?

Ok, first off, sorry for not responding sooner - I was in Passport Hell (Post about that later)

You can't customize your soldier per se - you can select different primary weapons and classes and that seems to be the extent of it.  There are different looks for each class but they don't seem to change.  I'm sure that is so you can easily spot medics and such.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 03, 2007, 05:52:55 AM

RE: Bunnyhopping-

In ET, jumping used energy, which is the pool all abilities pull from.  So if you want to bunny-hop, don't expect to be using your special skills much.

Obviously, not many people did it.  Also, it didn't seem to work too good anyway, since everyone was using machine guns (for the most part).  I guess that's another thing: you couldn't really take more than a few hits in ET.

I am not sure if it uses energy - I'll have to get back to you on that. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 02:04:11 PM »

Also, what is the ballistics model like?  Does the game implement iron sights aiming?  Weapon accuracy based on movement speed and stance?  Bullet tracers?  What about physics?  Havok?  Proprietary but Havok-esque like Doom 3?
The ballistics are pretty decent.  The sniper rifle has an incredible kick to it, preventing a second quick shot.  You can't pull of headshots in batches of 8-16 like you could in Unreal Tournament.  Most of the machine guns have a bit of crawl and kick to them if I recall, spray and pray won't help a great deal.  I didn't see any bullet tracers, but the weight of your weapon certainly does affect your run speed.  That said, you can "Counterstrike" it and run with a knife (or spike for Strogg) to speed things up.  The physics appear to use the Havok engine as hitting somebody with a rocket tends to send them careening into the sky.  Similarly, don't expect to hit a pothole with an ATV at full speed and not flip once or twice.  It didn't feel like I was made of superbouncyball material though. 

Finally, your preview refers to Quake Wars as a coop game on the last page.  Does that mean AI players have been added?  If not, I think ET:QW would actually be considered a competitive, team-based multiplayer game.  Coop implies AI, usually within some sort of structured campaign (which, as I understand, the groupings of levels in QW might qualify as.  So please clarify!).
Co-Op was meant to mean "play with your friends", not in the context you suggest.

Thanks for the thorough preview, Ron!
My pleasure!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 02:05:03 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on April 03, 2007, 03:19:47 PM

How powerful are air vehicles?  Are they overpowered like in BF2?

The air vehicles are plenty powerful but rockets take them down rather quickly.  They are completely fragile, as they should be.  They are helicopters, not flying tanks like they are in BF2. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on April 04, 2007, 07:25:58 PM

Any word on when we can read the interview?

Passport hell as I said.  I'll try to piece it together tonight.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2007, 02:11:26 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 04, 2007, 08:12:06 PM

Sounds like vehicles aren't just sitting around on the map anymore, instead they're requisitioned by engineers.  That's a really good change I think.  In BF2 the game become vehicle spam to the extreme.  Since you order vehicles now, you can tailor your vehicle use to the task at hand.

Ehhh, yes and no.  Using Valley for a ready example, there were (and I'm going from memory here) 2 ATVs, 2 Humvees, 1 APC, and 1 Tank that you can use to secure the bridge that is probably 5-10 seconds from your start point.  Once you secure that the MCP spawns at the base.  You press that through the tunnel and around a corner and get it set up.  Once you accomplish this you are given another set of ATVs, hummers, a tank, a chopper (get to da choppa!) and the ass-hauler chopper.  In all the time I played there really wasn't a big shortage on vehicles.  The maps are fairly big but not obscenely big as to require a vehicle to get around.  Odds are that in pickup games you'll have smacktards that take a vehicle to drive four feet, but in this case it really doesn't matter much.

The ordering of vehicles that you are referring to is the three types of long-range weapons (missiles and artillery), anti-personnel, anti-vehicle, radar, and the like.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 02:12:01 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on April 04, 2007, 11:14:43 PM

We didn't get to see the bots.  I'm not sure if there are or not...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2007, 01:49:33 AM »

Is it out yet?!?!?!?

icon_biggrin
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 05:11:32 AM »

So, is it considered to be too much info if I say that this makes my pants tight? ninja  icon_redface

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 04:02:44 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on April 10, 2007, 05:11:32 AM

So, is it considered to be too much info if I say that this makes my pants tight? ninja  icon_redface

you wear pants?  Tongue

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 07:27:38 PM »

Think of those who have run enjoyable servers in BF2  ninja
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: