http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:41:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PR - XBOX] "Halo 2" Makes Entertainment History  (Read 2763 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2004, 02:12:27 PM »

"Halo 2" Makes Entertainment History as Global Anticipation Builds

Record-Shattering Preorders Set Tone for Holiday

REDMOND, Wash. -- Oct. 19, 2004 -- There hasn't been this much anticipation for an otherworldly touchdown since Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon. With three weeks to go before the game hits store shelves, pre-orders for "Halo® 2" -- the highly anticipated Xbox® exclusive from Microsoft Game Studios -- have eclipsed the 1.5 million mark in the United States. With phenomenal record-breaking video game pre-orders, "Halo 2" is poised to generate more revenue in 24 hours than day one sales of any full feature movie in entertainment history, including "Spider-man 2," "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" and "Matrix: Reloaded."

In the U.S., the anticipation builds to a fever pitch on Nov. 9 when thousands of shoppers line up to be among the first to get their hands on the action-packed thriller. The first copy of "Halo 2" will be distributed at a Midnight Madness event at the largest Toys "R" Us in the world located in Times Square, New York. Toys "R" Us Times Square will open its doors at 12 midnight on November 9, and deliver the first retail copy of the game to a lucky fan.

"The original 'Halo' is still a top ten title three years after it hit shelves, and the buzz for the sequel is off the charts," said John Barbour, president, Toys "R" Us, U.S. "We can think of no more appropriate place to unveil 'Halo 2' than the site Xbox first launched--Toys "R" Us Times Square."

More than 6,500 U.S. participating retailers*- including Gamestop, EB Games, Best Buy, Gamecrazy, Game Rush, Circuit City, Kmart Super Center stores and FYE, will open their doors at 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 9 to allow for sales of "Halo 2," Xbox consoles and Xbox Live TM Starter Kits.

The global launch of "Halo 2" will also be marked by celebrations from November 9 through November 11 at more than 1,125 retail stores in cities around the world including London, Seoul, Toronto and Sydney. "Halo 2" will be translated into seven languages (Japanese, Korean, traditional Chinese, Spanish, French, German and Italian) and will be distributed in 27 countries.

"'Halo 2' is expected to be the biggest 24 hours for a video game title in retail history and is projected to bring in more revenue than any day one box office blockbuster movie in the United States," said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of worldwide publishing and marketing for Xbox. "We call it the Halo 2 effect. We've even heard rumors of fan anticipation of the 'Halo 2 flu' on November 9."

"Halo 2," the follow up to the marquee Xbox title, "Halo: Combat Evolved," was selected for the Toys "R" Us Joy List as one of the expected top sellers this holiday season. "Halo 2" utilizes Xbox Live to redefine online play, delivering superior online multiplayer capabilities, which allow gamers to engage with or against friends from around the world in an effort to save humankind.

Developed exclusively for Xbox by Bungie Studios, part of Microsoft Game Studios, the original "Halo" has sold more than 5 million copies worldwide and spawned a legion of powerful devotees who participate in competitions, tournaments and game nights.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 04:36:54 PM »

*rips the PR and posts it* biggrin

Still, it's amazing how well this game has presold, no? That's a LOT of Halo 2 games floating around.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 05:05:13 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Still, it's amazing how well this game has presold, no? That's a LOT of Halo 2 games floating around.

Especially since people can already play the French version.  :wink:

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »

"'Halo 2' is expected to be the biggest 24 hours for a video game title in retail history and is projected to bring in more revenue than any day one box office blockbuster movie in the United States," said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of worldwide publishing and marketing for Xbox. "We call it the Halo 2 effect. We've even heard rumors of fan anticipation of the 'Halo 2 flu' on November 9."

The level of anticipation is surely impressive but "Halo 2 effect," "Halo 2 flu" ? PR crap like that makes me nauseous.  

Plus, I hate these attempts to compare game grosses with movie grosses.  Assuming 1.5 million people purchase Halo 2 on opening day, that same number attending a movie would end up being a less than $20 million opening day which is very good but nowhere close to record setting.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 05:30:41 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Destructor"

Especially since people can already play the French version.  :wink:

I tried it. I didn't like it. My guy kept throwing his gun down and running away screaming.  :lol:
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 06:24:51 PM »

I rolled my eyes when I read this... until I remembered that I had preordered it way back in March (EB was offering an extra $20 credit for tradeins when preordering H2 back then).  Between this and Half Life 2 hitting the same time, I'm going to have to quit my job.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 07:17:14 PM »

Some of that preorder credit needs to go to the EB games sales reps that have been doing a good job pimping Halo 2 pre-orders unmercifully for the past 3+ months.  I haven’t been able to buy a game at any of my local EB games stores during the last 2 months without getting pitched about pre-ordering Halo 2.  Even when I’m buying PC games, I still get pitched about pre-ordering Halo 2.  I’ve never seen a pre-order push for a game like Halo 2.  So I’d give a lot of credit to the brand name of the game, but also a lot to the aggressive pre-order pimpage.  Heck, WoW and EQ2 should be huge on the PC, but I’ve yet to be asked by any EB games sales reps if I want to preorder those titles, same with HL2.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 07:39:12 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Plus, I hate these attempts to compare game grosses with movie grosses.  Assuming 1.5 million people purchase Halo 2 on opening day, that same number attending a movie would end up being a less than $20 million opening day which is very good but nowhere close to record setting.

They arn't comparing numbers buying vs going to see a movie but gross revenue. 1.5 million copies comes to $75 mil in sales(assuming a $50 retail price). That is comparable to a huge movie opening.

As for pre-order pitches at the local Gamestop they will pitch the games for whatever I'm buying. I.E a PS2 game purchase gets offers for GTA or MGS3 usually.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 07:44:46 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
Some of that preorder credit needs to go to the EB games sales reps that have been doing a good job pimping Halo 2 pre-orders unmercifully for the past 3+ months.  I haven’t been able to buy a game at any of my local EB games stores during the last 2 months without getting pitched about pre-ordering Halo 2.  Even when I’m buying PC games, I still get pitched about pre-ordering Halo 2.  I’ve never seen a pre-order push for a game like Halo 2.  So I’d give a lot of credit to the brand name of the game, but also a lot to the aggressive pre-order pimpage.  Heck, WoW and EQ2 should be huge on the PC, but I’ve yet to be asked by any EB games sales reps if I want to preorder those titles, same with HL2.

Yeah, same at my EB, but they know me pretty well, and know I've already pre-ordered, so they stopped asking me. I'm guessing they get some nice bonuses for X number of Halo 2 pre-orders.

Btw, EB has a deal where you can trade your games in and get normal value plus $10 extra credit towards Halo 2 for each game traded. You should be able to pay off Halo2 with 3 decent trade-ins.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 07:57:35 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"

They arn't comparing numbers buying vs going to see a movie but gross revenue. 1.5 million copies comes to $75 mil in sales(assuming a $50 retail price). That is comparable to a huge movie opening.

I, of course, realize that.  My point is they aren't comparable in terms of cultural impact.  Yes, Halo 2 will likely make as much money for MS as a blockbuster movie but who cares about that other than MS investors?  When you look at the sheer number of people who have to attend a movie to generate a $40 million single day gross or $110 million weekend gross its an order of magnitude higher than those Halo 2 sales.  

Movie industry comparisons always come off as weak "hey, we're cool too!" moves to me.  Halo 2 doesn't need any more hype at this point, certainly not of the "grossing more than biggest movie of all time," "we like to call it the Halo 2 effect," and "the Halo 2 flu" ilk.  Bungie has likely made a pretty kick-ass game and its time for MS to stand quietly and confidently by.  

Maybe I'm missing the press releases, but GTA:SA will likely eclispse Halo 2 in sales yet I haven't seen similar comparisons for SA and it releases in a week.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 08:01:27 PM »

Maybe I'm missing the press releases, but GTA:SA will likely eclispse Halo 2 in sales yet I haven't seen similar comparisons for SA and it releases in a week.

You aren't missing anything.  You are right that SA will probably outsell Halo 2, but then again EB isn't having a midnight madness thing going with SA.  Maybe the hype of SA is low...then again, before each GTA game Rockstar has kept a tight lid on what the game is and what it contains.

I remember there were LOTS of questions surrounding GTA3 and look at what that turned into.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 08:07:53 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

You aren't missing anything.  You are right that SA will probably outsell Halo 2, but then again EB isn't having a midnight madness thing going with SA.  Maybe the hype of SA is low...then again, before each GTA game Rockstar has kept a tight lid on what the game is and what it contains.

I remember there were LOTS of questions surrounding GTA3 and look at what that turned into.

Yeah, and I have to say I really like this approach.  As I said, it really exudes confidence on the developers part to me.  Admittedly it only works when the game itself already has built in awareness.

I've like Bungie's stance on being mum on single player but Halo 2 is still three weeks away and I fear MS is starting to overhype.  Short of GTA its clearly the biggest game of the holiday season already.  Early word from those who have played the leaked version is that its a definite improvement on the first one but not necessairlly all it was hyped to be. I expect the final reaction of paying consumers to be better but at this point if Halo 2 isn't the second coming then MS may have some backlash on their hands.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 08:21:08 PM »

I've like Bungie's stance on being mum on single player but Halo 2 is still three weeks away and I fear MS is starting to overhype.  Short of GTA its clearly the biggest game of the holiday season already.  Early word from those who have played the leaked version is that its a definite improvement on the first one but not necessairlly all it was hyped to be. I expect the final reaction of paying consumers to be better but at this point if Halo 2 isn't the second coming then MS may have some backlash on their hands.

You're right...a lot hinges on Halo 2 being the cat's meow.  What else does Microsoft have in its portfolio after Halo 2 comes out?  MechAssault 2 and Crimson Skies 2 (confirmed to be in development) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head and both of those together won't reach the sales of a Halo 2.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 08:28:54 PM »

I don't think Halo 2 will have a hard time living up to the hype.  Honestly, it's more of the same, with sharper graphics, some new gameplay twists, better designed maps, and live play.  I'm sure MS has nothing to worry about... smile

Prediction:
Killer Instinct will be a launch title for Xbox 2 slywink

I hope I'm right.  That would make my year.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 08:37:07 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
You're right...a lot hinges on Halo 2 being the cat's meow. What else does Microsoft have in its portfolio after Halo 2 comes out? MechAssault 2 and Crimson Skies 2 (confirmed to be in development) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head and both of those together won't reach the sales of a Halo 2.

For all of MS's success with the console itself, Halo is almost the only blockbuster (one million plus) franchise that's exclusive to them.  It looked like they had another in PGR with the first title's one million copies sold but the superior PGR 2 comparitively fizzled with sales less than half that of the first game.

Fable looks like it has a good chance at being another tentpole (we should find out sales today but it likely sold approx half a million copies in September).  Otherwise Xbox has had a lot of pretty strong sellers and some titles with a lot more buzz than sales (Riddick, FSW, Crimson Skies) but very few blockbuster titles to carry into next generation.  

With the dearth of major new IPs announced for 2005, its pretty clear that they've shifted development to focus on Xbox 2.
Jason Donati
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 09:32:49 PM »

Early word from those who have played the leaked version is that its a definite improvement on the first one but not necessairlly all it was hyped to be.

The people who have played the leaked version, eh? You mean, the same pirates who can't even take part in Halo 2's online play, arguably its biggest feature. So they think it's not all it's hyped up to be, huh? Hehehe, right.  :roll:

[size=10]Currently Playing: [/size]Soul Calibur II | Ninja Gaiden | Starcraft: Broodwar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 09:39:38 PM »

Quote from: "Jason Donati"
Early word from those who have played the leaked version is that its a definite improvement on the first one but not necessairlly all it was hyped to be.

The people who have played the leaked version, eh? You mean, the same pirates who can't even take part in Halo 2's online play, arguably its biggest feature. So they think it's not all it's hyped up to be, huh? Hehehe, right.  :roll:

I don't know if online play in Halo 2 is its "biggest feature."  Big selling point no doubt but I'd be willing to bet that the primary attraction for most is its single player or non-online co-op.  Hell, Bungie is on record as saying that the vast majority of their resources went to creating the single player campaign, not the multiplayer which was done by a substantially smaller team.  The press focus has been on multiplayer because its the biggest new feature and the single player campaign has been under wraps so its the only area available to cover.  

I think the internet really warps the popularity of online- it may seem like everyone is playing on Live but they're not- Live is in a quarter or less of all Xbox households.
Jason Donati
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 10:41:43 PM »

I don't know if online play in Halo 2 is its "biggest feature."

"...arguably its biggest feature", I said. I stand by that remark. I do not think that's the same as stating online play is its biggest selling point, though, which is what you seem to be getting at. As you pointed out, many people won't have the option of playing the game online, so I don't expect people to buy the game in droves for that reason alone. However, that doesn't change the fact that the addition of Live play is one of the biggest additions to Halo 2.

Hell, Bungie is on record as saying that the vast majority of their resources went to creating the single player campaign, not the multiplayer which was done by a substantially smaller team.

I don't a whole lot about developing, but wouldn't that be pretty standard for any multiplayer FPS? I would think most of their resources would go into the core single player mode, certainly not the other way around.

My main gripe with your post was the mentioning what some people who have played the leaked version think about the game. Online play is a big part of Halo 2, and it's a feature that was completely absent in it's predecessor (outside of XBC, of course). It's insane, imo, to even bring up the "all that it was hyped to be" comment when most of the hype thus far has been about the multiplayer and the online play, which the pirates aren't even able to take part of.  

So, who cares what they think?

I agree with a lot of things you've said in this thread, Kevin. But that one comment didn't go over well with me. "Ya know, I've had a word or two with some Halo 2 pirates and they think the game ain't all that." Couple that with your somewhat negative tone in this thread and I think such a statement deserves a rolly eyes.

[size=10]Currently Playing: [/size]Soul Calibur II | Ninja Gaiden | Starcraft: Broodwar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 11:14:03 PM »

I agree with a lot of things you've said in this thread, Kevin. But that one comment didn't go over well with me. "Ya know, I've had a word or two with some Halo 2 pirates and they think the game ain't all that." Couple that with your somewhat negative tone in this thread and I think such a statement deserves a rolly eyes.

Few statements ever deserves a roll eyes and none in this tread- I put a lot of thought into my opinions and don't find it polite to be shrugged off with the emoticon equivalent of "WHAT-EVER".  Its one of the most insulting and overused emoticons used on the internet and one I have never used.  

My negative tone is strictlly relegated to MS's PR and its potential to overhype the game.  I am very much looking forward to Halo 2 and there is no doubt in my mind that Bungie has produced a game superior to its predecessor in every way.

As for what pirates think about the game- I think they, as a group, tend to be more cynical and critical about games then people who purchase them hence my comment that I expected the reaction from buyers to be much better.  I have read no spoilers but quite a number of comments that feel its a stellar game that MS has overhyped as the second coming.  

With three weeks still to go until the game's release and MS only increasing the hype, I think the point that they are in danger of over-hyping and creating a potential backlash is a valid one.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 01:17:58 AM »

By market footprint they should (as sony has touted 70 mil units shipped, 4 to 1 friend of mine ... 3 replacements .. Tongue ).

You know, I *do* distinctly remember this same crap two years ago with Vice City; MS is taking a page from the industry leaders. I remember VC having a whopping 4 million presells. Don't believe me? Check this link out... . If they're keeping it quiet, it's likely not due to the lack of presells; it's more likely they're tired of being in the news.

If the underdog can boast, on a smaller footprint, the fact that they can get 1.5 mil out before the first day, let em. I don't know if this was initially their idea to push the hype, or if that questionable news publication two weeks ago had something to do with it (the one where they had "supposedly" presold a million copies but never confirmed this with MS).

As to the single vs multi arguement; the multi is where the replay value comes in. Since I don't wanna hear one frickin' iota of the single player story (I'm 3 weeks from seeing it with my own eyes) I have to say I'm glad the multiplayer is in the spotlight.

As to the pirates... unless you're fluent in french, the entire games' dialog, therefore the atmosphere, becomes irrelevant. Watching a movie with the sound off would certainly have that "not worth the hype" feel to it.

Buncha dumb pirate whiners. They stole the cake, and forgot to get the icing. Now they want milk. Now they want cookies. Wah, wah, wah. Suck it up, buttercup.

As to the game in question, I don't think Halo2 is the second coming. Well, maybe it *is* the second coming of Master Chief, but that's besides the point. It's a highly anticipated game that has more than 1.5 million people willing to ante up the moolah to make sure they play it before the fat man gets stuck in their chimney. I know my EB has 400+ presells... I don't doubt that the midnight opening is going to be stupid-crazy.

And yes, I booked time off (nov 11 is a legislated holiday where I live for Remembrance Day) and so I'm taking friday off for Halo2. Better than racking up the sick days.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 01:30:34 AM »

You know, I *do* distinctly remember this same crap two years ago with Vice City; MS is taking a page from the industry leaders. I remember VC having a whopping million presells.

Actually, I remember Vice City being about as low-key hype wise as San Andreas- the franchise sells itself at this point. All the customer needs to know is "new GTA, Oct __".  As long as Rockstar delivers a stellar game mega-sales are assured.  Pouring more money into marketing becomes a law of diminishing returns once you've saturated the market with respect to awareness.  That's my point wrt to Halo 2- at this stage I don't think they need any more hype.  I'm sure they have 100% awareness among Xbox owners and in 90s for those with other consoles.  

They did advertise Vice City as having four million pre-orders but  that was as in preorders froms stores, not customers.  I'm pretty sure Zelda: Wind Waker had the record for actual customer pre-orders prior to Halo 2 with approx 750k or so.  

While Xbox may be the underdog in the console race, Halo is not an underdog of a franchise.  The only console games this generation to sell more are the GTAs and Gran Turismo 3.  They've sold 3.5 million copies and counting of the original.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 01:38:11 AM »

Actually, I remember Vice City being about as low-key hype wise as San Andreas- the franchise sells itself at this point. All the customer needs to know is "new GTA, Oct __".  As long as Rockstar delivers a stellar game mega-sales are assured.  Pouring more money into marketing becomes a law of diminishing returns once you've saturated the market with respect to awareness.  That's my point wrt to Halo 2- at this stage I don't think they need any more hype.  I'm sure they have 100% awareness among Xbox owners and in 90s for those with other consoles.  

They did advertise Vice City as having four million pre-orders but  that was as in preorders froms stores, not customers.  I'm pretty sure Zelda: Wind Waker had the record for actual customer pre-orders prior to Halo 2 with approx 750k or so.  

While Xbox may be the underdog in the console race, Halo is not an underdog of a franchise.  The only console games this generation to sell more are the GTAs and Gran Turismo 3.  They've sold 3.5 million copies and counting of the original.

Re-read my post above : i was putting the rant in to reply to the rest of the thread and found the link. biggrin

As to keeping low key, remember that Sony has saturated the market with PS2s... Microsoft has not. Halo2 *will* be a system seller, regardless of whether it motivates you personally or not.

The number (1.5 mil) is the number of *customers* in the states alone. (not the shipping volume). MS quashed the 1mil mark 2 weeks ago because that was shipping volume not presells. Now they're stating they have 1.5mil US customer presells. Seems to me they're satisfying the public interest that the original news broadcast, *NOT* press release, generated.

I'm in canada, my 2 pre-orders don't count to that number. (one for my bro and one for myself). I hate media spin as much as the next hominid, and the cold thing is kinda lame, but they've got a point.

As to the movie comparison, you need a watermark, and the only thing close in the entertainment industry is movies. It's a 5:1 ratio for value ... 10 for a movie, 50 for a game. Easy math. Since the marketplace for games in the US is in the 30million mark, it's a far cry from the 5:1 ratio to 295Mil US citizens who can attend movies.

If I had a nickel for every time a person pre-ordered Halo2 (in the US) I'd have 75,000 in my pocket.

That's a lot of effen nickels.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 02:44:52 AM »

I never said the 1.5 million was store pre-orders- I know its customer pre-orders.  I was just referencing a press release regarding Vice City that had trumpted 4 million preorders which turned out to be shipping numbers to the stores.  

As to the movie comparison, you need a watermark, and the only thing close in the entertainment industry is movies. It's a 5:1 ratio for value ... 10 for a movie, 50 for a game. Easy math. Since the marketplace for games in the US is in the 30million mark, it's a far cry from the 5:1 ratio to 295Mil US citizens who can attend movies.

The watermark should be within the same industry.  The dynamics between the motivating factor for someone to spend $10 on a movie ticket and that for causing people to spend $50 on a game and in some cases $150 plus on the system to play it on are completely different and don't warrant comparison outside of the nebulous "they're both in the entertainment industry."  

MS doesn't need to draw half-baked comparisons to the movies.  They currently have the most pre-ordered title in the history of gaming so there's your watermark.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 06:31:45 AM »

I've always taken what the "warze kiddies" say of a game as not being worth much.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 02:56:24 PM »

I never said the 1.5 million was store pre-orders- I know its customer pre-orders.  I was just referencing a press release regarding Vice City that had trumpted 4 million preorders which turned out to be shipping numbers to the stores.

Then we agree. smile

The watermark should be within the same industry.  The dynamics between the motivating factor for someone to spend $10 on a movie ticket and that for causing people to spend $50 on a game and in some cases $150 plus on the system to play it on are completely different and don't warrant comparison outside of the nebulous "they're both in the entertainment industry."

I can see your point; here is mine.

I suggest that since a human beings mind cannot quantify any number larger than a roughly a thousand (everything beyond that mark is not measurable by quantity, only in mathematical concept) that it would be hard to show the impact of 1.5 million presells.

Let me use the gaming industries earnings from 2002. approx 9 Billion dollars. Nine. Niiiiine. Neun. Neuf (for the french pirates).

How much is 9 billion dollars?
Given* that a US thousand dollar bill is approx .1mm (or** 0.003937 inches)
A stack of 1000 thousand dollar bills (1million) = 3.937 inches
A billion would therefore be 3937 inches, or 328 feet
Take nine of those to equal 2952.75 feet,
At a generous 9 feet per storey (it actually is more like 8 feet, but whatever) adds up to 328 storeys.
This translates to 3 stacks of thousand dollar bills being slightly taller than the empire states building***.

3 stacks, side-by-side.
King Kong (approx width of palm 36 inches wide) is swatting at the airplanes, and palms a cool 27.3 million with every swing. (3 x 9.1mil for 36 inches per stack)

A lot easier to measure the money against something you're familiar with, like a popular movie you've gone to see twice, and so have all your friends.

For reference :
* http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/DeneneWilliams.shtml
** http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/length
*** http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/wonder/structure/empire_state.html

Keep in mind that money is packed TIGHT. No spaces. It's like each stack is a giant 2x4. It's frickin HUGE. I'd like to have 4.5 inches of that stack, Hell, I'd be happy with .003937 inches worth right now. slywink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: