http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 04:57:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: do you think using guides for games is a sin?
no,if it wasnt for guides then i would of missed a lot out from a game - 13 (27.1%)
i use a guide,but only when stuck - 33 (68.8%)
i have never used a guide - 1 (2.1%)
if i hear you have used a guide i will hunt you down and kill you - 0 (0%)
I used a guide one time, found it to be a complete waste of money, and have avoided them ever since - 1 (2.1%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL]guides for games  (Read 1793 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:09:20 AM »

okay,just got a ass kicking for posting on the nintendo site,that some final fantasy guides are well done

i for one,use a guide...no i dont use it for every step i take,only when getting stuck...but i will say this,if it wasnt for having a guide,there would be a lot of video games out there,especially the final fantasy guides...with parts unexplored...because i just wouldnt of known about it or them

games like metal gear,i dont think need a guide...but RPGs,especially when games like the FFs,have so many bonus side stuff...then yeah

so,how do you feel about guides?

oh,and going on the internet to check an online guide counts as well
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:11:32 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:14:11 AM »

I don't buy guides, instead I just use gamefaqs.

However, I'm of the same mind.  I don't have time to search obsessive compulsively for the extras in the games that I enjoy, namely RPGs.  A lot of Japanese games have completely inane and arbitrary secrets that don't actually reward good gameplay and instead just make you want to collect weird objects or walk around hugging walls while pressing A.  Often times in these games you'll miss something because you didn't look at a poster on a certain wall, or grab one pointless object to give to an NPC 20 gameplay hours later.

Now, on the other hand if the gameplay behind getting such secrets is fun and not just a timesink, then I'll go ahead and put in that time.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 07:18:49 AM by Turtle » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 08:45:41 AM »

If I get stuck at a certain point in a game, I have no problem with checking GameFAQs, but I've never bought a real guide. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »

I've only purchased a couple of guides in all my years of gaming.  Animal Crossing comes to mind, mainly because of the detailed item tracking pages in a game that is all about collecting and getting full sets of things.

I got Oblivion's guide too, based on forum buzz and the sheer size of the thing.

Usually, I just play a game until I get stuck/frustrated or just plain lost (don't know what to do next) and then hit up Gamefaqs for some help.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 11:24:30 AM »

Quote from: DonD on May 25, 2007, 11:15:38 AM

I got Oblivion's guide too, based on forum buzz and the sheer size of the thing.

damn good guide,and definelty needed if you want to find everything,i have put in 100 hours and know that i still have a lot of side quests to do...and i havent bought the knights of the nine and the shivering isle guides,even though they are available

Oblivion is a good example for this topic,there is just so much to do

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:34:12 PM »

If I get stuck in a game, I check GameFAQS.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 01:16:57 PM »

I always buy guides for major RPG's, but very seldom for anything else.    Basically, I like knowing exactly what to do next in my games.   There is nothing more infuriating that wandering around looking for the next trigger to continue a quest.   I also can't stand missing minor items/conversations/chests/etc. that cause me to miss out on major items/conversations/chests/etc. hours later.  I.E.  "You cannot get pass through this magic-granting-super-secret-uber-gate because you stole the Purple Whatzit of Dumbassedness 14 dungeons ago."   That kind of shit drives me up a wall, and can usually be avoided with guides.

I'll use GameFAQ's on occasion, but my computer is in the other room and I hate going back and forth.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 25, 2007, 12:34:12 PM

Same. Really helps that I have a laptop handy pretty much all the time to surf the 'net if I need to.

That said - I own both the Oblivion and Morrowind guides. Why? I can kill somebody with the sheer bulk of the things if I had to. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 01:30:44 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 25, 2007, 12:34:12 PM

saywhat
Quote from: GameFAQ 'Stuck in a Game' Advice
4A. Gently remove member from hole in disk. Note: You may need to use a lubricating agent.
icon_twisted

I generally don't use guides; I only have for FFXI and WoW. Occasionally I'll consult GameFAQs to help with a subquest or something; I hate spoilers though.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »

Being stuck in a game makes me frustrated, and being frustrated makes me mad, which is no fun.  If I run into a section I can't get past, I'll bang my head against the wall for a bit until I get the urge to throw the controller through the TV.  Then I'll turn off the game, and come back later.  If the problem persists, I'll consult Gamefaqs.

Being frustrated at a game makes me not play it, which wastes money and isn't fun.  I'd rather miss out on the thrill of figuring it out and continue to enjoy the game than continue to be frustrated and shelve it forever.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 01:55:01 PM »

I used to look at it as a matter of pride not to use guides in a game- back in the day we really had no choice- but now if I get stuck, I call up gamefaqs.

The threshold is different depending upon the game.  If I love a game I'll work at it a while before I 'cheat' as I can typically figure things out, but i don't get mired.

Also, it seems I predominantly check guides when the developer does an unexpected shift in gameplay that's the exception not the rule.  For example, I'm used to doing x throughout the entire game then there comes a point where suddenly you have to do ABC and D to get past something.  Irritates me.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 02:02:44 PM »

It depends on the game, but bottom line is I play games to have fun.  As a general rule, it's more fun for me to solve puzzles, beat bosses, etc. by my own wits and skills.  But if I'm stuck, I have no problem asking for a little help.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 02:13:26 PM »

Oh and I've never boughten a guide.

I do have the limited edition Gears of War package, but that was for the art book and I bought it long after mauling the Sp campaign repeatedly and the price dropped to <10.00
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 02:20:45 PM »

Sometimes I get the guide.  If there are lots of hidden things or lots of collectables, I might get it.  But for the most part, I can just use GameFAQs and save myself $15.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »

I'll use GameFAQ's if necessary and I've never bought a guide.  whenever they try and sell me one I just say 'why buy it when I can get the info off the net for free?'

I also don't feel the need to find every single thing in a game  Unless the game is really good I won't ge back to find Bub's sandal that appears in chapter 2 after you've completed chapter 1 without taking any damage for the 5th time.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 02:36:22 PM »

GameFAQs here too.  I don't go there often but if I'm stuck for more than 10 minutes I'm otherwise more likely to just put the game down and not go back to it.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 08:28:15 PM »

I've only bought a few guides in my entire time gaming, the last one was the Oblivion guide and that was mainly because the buzz was crazy and, well, you know how it goes. I do consult gamefaqs though if I'm stuck, when playing through Lego Star Wars 2 I consulted it 2-3 times. Like others have said, I play to have fun and to be immersed. If something (usually stupid) is breaking that, then I want to mend it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 08:30:56 PM »

GameFAQs when I'm stuck, but that's it. I'm another one of those folks that's never bought a guide.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 09:02:25 PM »

I've purchased guides for games when they provide important information that clarifies some of the gameplay features...otherwise known as "stuff that should have been in the manual."  For example, I've never looked at the walk-throughs for Disgaea 2 or the Pokemon games, but I've used them extensively for learning the mechanics of the gameplay so I won't gimp my characters and have to resort to blind trial-and-error.

I try to avoid walk-through guides as much as possible.  However, if I get so completely stuck that the only other option would be to quit playing, then I'll check a guide.  There are several games where I only needed help to pass one or two specific puzzles and was able to solve the rest of the game by myself: ICO, The Longest Journey, and Zelda: Wind Waker are three recent examples.

-Autistic Angel
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 10:32:41 PM »

Why buy a guide when you have the internet....

Gamefaq but only when stuck. 

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 10:58:15 PM »

I tend to use a guide :

1) when I'm stuck for more than 30 minutes somewhere.
2) after I finish an area to see what I missed (for RPGs).
3) sometimes for formulas/combinations for items when I don't want to waste time experimenting.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 12:21:47 AM »

I buy guides for a couple reasons:

1) I hate having to walk into the computer room to check GameFAQs. It's much, much easier to simply have the guide sitting on the couch with me so all the informations right there at my fingertips.

2) I like having maps. Maps on GameFAQs are generally pretty horrible, so a good game guide (ex: Dragon Quest VIII's guide) has a huge advantage here IMO.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 06:22:22 PM »

I typically only use guides for when I am stuck on something and it is usually for epic size RPGs.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Pi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 06:38:46 AM »

A bit off topic, but this discussion reminds me of the early 90's when Sierra set up a 1-900 number for hints to their games.  You would navigate though the menu to get a hint, getting progressively more specific instructions on what to do.  All at $2.00 a minute or whatever the price was.

God I love the internet.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 07:10:30 AM »

Quote from: Pi on May 28, 2007, 06:38:46 AM

A bit off topic, but this discussion reminds me of the early 90's when Sierra set up a 1-900 number for hints to their games.  You would navigate though the menu to get a hint, getting progressively more specific instructions on what to do.  All at $2.00 a minute or whatever the price was.

God I love the internet.

ahh,1997 when i rang up from my Mums phone the hotline for Final Fantasy 7....it took me ages to get to the right place i wanted,and when it finally told me what to do,i was very embarrased(even though it was a recording)..as it was so obvious......and then a month later my mum cut off my balls......true story!!,LOL

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 12:31:07 PM »

Where's the "I used a guide one time, found it to be a complete waste of money, and have avoided them ever since." option?

Plus if you do get stuck there's always Gamefaqs.

Note* my computer and my 360 are both hooked up to my 37" TV. If I want to check gamefaqs I just turn on Picture In Picture and check it. If I had to leave the room to check gamefaqs I might be a little more friendly toward guides, but I don't so I'm not biggrin
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 12:32:53 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 02:23:29 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on May 28, 2007, 12:31:07 PM

Where's the "I used a guide one time, found it to be a complete waste of money, and have avoided them ever since." option?

oh,its up there Tongue icon_wink

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 02:39:25 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on May 27, 2007, 12:21:47 AM

2) I like having maps. Maps on GameFAQs are generally pretty horrible, so a good game guide (ex: Dragon Quest VIII's guide) has a huge advantage here IMO.

+1.  I do love me the maps.

One thing I don't understand is guides for games that don't typically need them.  Gamestop had Guitar Hero II and Madden 07 guides on their shelf the other day.  Why the hell would you need guides for those?   icon_confused
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:42:12 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 05:09:17 AM »

"You cannot get pass through this magic-granting-super-secret-uber-gate because you stole the Purple Whatzit of Dumbassedness 14 dungeons ago."   That kind of shit drives me up a wall, and can usually be avoided with guides. 

Bingo,Gratch!  Matter of fact, I did that with Quake on the 360 (or was it Doom)... I ended up trying to fight the final boss, getting insanely frustrated until I finally searched the 'net - and I found out I was supposed to have stumbled onto a particular gun that would kill it.  No gun, didn't want to backtrack, end of story.  And believe me, I search every nook and cranny in a game as carefully as I can so this won't happen... and yet, it did.   icon_evil

You have to be 7 through 15 years of age to actually even think of things like - "Oh, I should press up against this wall in this dungeon in this one spot, and blow a flute, or I will never get the item I need to continue" - Zelda 8-bit anyone?  So adults, especially ones who didn't pick up a video game controller in childhood, will continue to get stuck, and shame on you if you are too proud to ask for help if that happens!

Also, as I like to say online, because I have no memory... my laptop has a lot more RAM than I do!  So sometimes I have to look up stuff I really already know, but have no way to dredge it back up into current memory.

And the maps... grrrr... I'm lost always, and if the in-game maps stink (FFXI, I'm talking to you!) then that's the end of me.

So - it boils down to incredible frustration from ridiculous and illogical puzzles in games;  my terrible lack of memory;  and my "I can get lost in a box" situation. This is why I get guides for huge games with marked maps, like Oblvion, or I simply Google my question, and if I don't get an adequate and easy response, I then go to GameFaqs.  I don't give in easily, lol, I try really hard to figure it all out myself... but....

As many have said already, games are supposed to be fun, not hair-tearing, frustrating, maddening experiences!  finger

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2007, 06:28:35 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on June 01, 2007, 05:09:17 AM

Also, as I like to say online, because I have no memory... my laptop has a lot more RAM than I do!  So sometimes I have to look up stuff I really already know, but have no way to dredge it back up into current memory.

This is a major reason I use guides.  I play a lot of games at once.  Many's the time I've gone back to a game and had no recollection of what I was doing next.  A guide is like a really informative bookmark.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2007, 07:53:47 AM »

if it wasnt for a guide or the net,i think me and myto would still be running around right now trying to raise our fame in final fantasy 11,lol

FF11,is one game,that would be impossible to not look upon a guide or net or get the answers from somewhere

give a bone chip to a guy on a bridge so you get a map<<<<<<who the hell would think of that????

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2007, 01:32:23 PM »

I rarely use them. Only if I'm really painfully stuck and I've been trying for 2 or more hours to find or to beat something. I mean, it's not a set rule like that but at that point I usually get pretty pissed off and need some assistance before smashing the controller.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2007, 01:42:27 PM »

Gamefaqs if I get a. very very stuck, or b. its a game im just trying to finish.

Guides ONLY for the very rarest and most anticipated RPGs. FFXII for example. Possibly I might get one or two for Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, and Eternal Sonata. Really I get them for major RPGs so I dont miss a lot because I usually play for completion. I try not to spoil story elements but I did that in a major way with the FFXII guide so it has made me wary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: