http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2016, 07:30:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii U] Xenoblade Chronicles X  (Read 4136 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2015, 05:37:36 AM »

20 hours in, and I feel like I should retract most of the negative first impressions.  If you're willing to stick through a few hours of frustration, this game really starts to shine.  The story has gotten better, the combat is always interesting and fun, the affinity missions are great ways to fill in character backstory, and the exploration might be the best of any game I've ever played.  The pace of progression is so well done, and it feels like every time I play, I'm learning something new or some game system is starting to click.  Tonight was all about figuring out how to set data probes to maximize both mining resources and profit.  Sounds dull, but a previously entirely baffling system turns out to be fascinating.  

My only real gripes at this point are not being able to find some of the data probe locations (they're nearly impossible to find if they're in a cave), and feeling a bit overwhelmed on how to progress my character.  There's a seemingly infinite number of arts, skills, and augments to upgrade, but only a limited pool of BP to do so.  A little nervous that I'm going to gimp myself...we'll see.

The game does certainly have its warts, but has started to become a fantastic experience.  Will be very interested to see if that holds up.  If it does, I could easily see this being GOTY material.

One of my biggest tips would be to ignore about 90% of the missions from the terminal.  Trying to find all the collectible doo-dads the game has you looking for can be maddening, and the rewards are fairly minimal.  Focusing solely on tracking down those collectibles is probably the quickest failure path in the game.   Instead, just go explore while trying to finish the affinity, story, and random missions you pick up around town, and you'll progress just fine.  The collectible and bounty missions can be turned in at any time if/when you stumble across the items they're looking for.  Also, don't be afraid to hit up Gamefaqs or some other resource to find where things are.  I suppose you could blindly stumble around looking for them, but I get at least a general location from an online resource anytime I find myself item hunting for a story mission.  I see now where the reviewer that talked about "keeping a notebook handy" was coming from.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:11:47 PM by Gratch » Logged

Remover of Inconvenient Obstacles
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2015, 03:11:18 PM »

That sounds great. 

But I know myself and I simply can't put that many hours into a game.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »

glad to hear it is moving in the right direction for you. In the forums I frequent, people are very divided on the story. I wonder if this is simply a matter of how far along they are in the game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2015, 02:55:14 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 09, 2015, 07:44:34 PM

glad to hear it is moving in the right direction for you. In the forums I frequent, people are very divided on the story. I wonder if this is simply a matter of how far along they are in the game.

The story isn't great by any means, but it's at least elevated past "OMGSOBAD"

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2015, 03:15:12 PM »

GameTrailers reivew.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on December 11, 2015, 03:15:12 PM

I'd say that's a pretty accurate review, and it mirrors my feelings closely.  As I ran around Noctilus last night searching for a way to get up a cliff to a specific resource point, it struck me that in any other game, that would have been an annoying and frustrating task.  In XCX, however, it's somehow just...fun.  I've spent multiple hours doing nothing but simply running around the world, exploring nooks and crannies, and enjoying exploration for exploration's sake.  That's never really happened before, and is a testament to how well-designed the world of Mira really is.  Now that I've wrapped my head around the systems, I find that there's always something new to do, new to see, new to gather, or new to explore.

My biggest challenge now is determining which companions to use.  You can bring up to 3, and two of them - Lin and Elma - have (so far) been required into include in the party before accepting story missions.  This leaves only one additional slot, but I have seven recruitable companions at this point (Doug, Gwin, L, MT, Irina, Lao, Boze) with at least another 5 still to get.  Problem is, companions only gain levels when they're in your party, so whichever companion(s) I don't use regularly will quickly fall behind.  I don't know if it's better to try and level everyone equally, or if I should stick with a standard group of 4 and let the rest just dwindle off.  I'd hate to get to a level 40 mission which suddenly requires me to use a specific person that is still level 15 because I haven't bothered to use them.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »

Yes, you want to rotate your squad mates to keep them all leveling up.  Many late-game missions require specific party members, including one mandatory story quest which requires Gwin.

By the way, since you wound up going with the physical version just before launch, did you remember to download the optional content packs that greatly speed up the load times?  I forgot to ask during all the excitement.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2015, 03:21:56 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 12, 2015, 01:52:58 PM

Yes, you want to rotate your squad mates to keep them all leveling up.  Many late-game missions require specific party members, including one mandatory story quest which requires Gwin.

By the way, since you wound up going with the physical version just before launch, did you remember to download the optional content packs that greatly speed up the load times?  I forgot to ask during all the excitement.

-Autistic Angel

Thx.  I had heard about Gwin, will plug him into the rotation.  While I don't think I'll be able to keep up all of them, I'll at least start to mix it up and not just use Lin, Elma, +1 for everything.  Maybe rotate at least a half dozen or so.

I downloaded everything but the Skell pack, mainly because I knew I wouldn't need that one for 30'ish hours.  I'm getting to that point though...just started Chapter 6.  Will do the Skell license stuff once it's done, so it's probably time to grab it.  Hoping I have room for it on the internal drive.   icon_confused

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2015, 05:04:42 AM »

And just got my first Skell (mech suit).  This thing is glorious.   drool

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »

Cabbage Patch
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2015, 12:33:46 AM »

XCX really excels when it's in "mission" mode.  When you have specific objectives and you have to traverse the huge world to find them.  There are few games that do it better.

Where it really bogs down is when it goes into full-on "guessing" mode.  It gives you certain items to find/gather without the slightest indication of where to do so.  You can thankfully ignore most of these, but the guessing game does creep into regular missions as well.  I've got six character missions in my log right now that require me to find random items, and I don't have a clue where to start.  It's hugely frustrating when the only hint they give you is that they're "in Primordia".  Great, thanks...that narrows it down to approximately 17 square game miles to search.  slywink

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2015, 04:18:24 AM »

Grabbed this today, and put about 90 minutes into it. Very disappointed so far, but I'm keeping an open mind:

+Voice acting appears to be good
+The environments are well crafted
+Background music outside of battles is beautiful.

-On a 4K television the game is a hot mess. It looks like an early PS3 game in terms of jaggies and soft textures. I can see the beauty in the design, but the textures ruin the experience. Many of my PS3 and Xbox 360 games look much better than this, and THAT generation is dead and buried. Its a shame to see the creative vision limited by the WiiU hardware, but only graphic whores will be displeased.
-I HATE, HATE, HATE that the Nintendo "B" button is in a different place than the Microsoft controller B button. I've failed every quicktime event, as I automatically tap the wrong button. I was raised on the xbox controller. In defense of XCX, this would be the same frustration in any game with quicktime events on the wii controller.
-Awful battle music. What is that rap-esque gibberish in battles, anyway? Does that continue during the entire game? I think some intern at the development house was trying to mimic the Persona RPG's soundtrack, but hired a tone deaf friend to get the job done.

Take all of this with a grain of salt. I'm under the weather, so my patience is thin. But the game makes a lackluster first impression.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »

I'd say it took a good 3-4 hours before I started warming up to it.  It's a slow starter for sure, and the layers upon layers of complexity don't help that any.  Have patience though...once it does get a hook or two in you, it's awfully tough to stop playing.  smile

-Awful battle music. What is that rap-esque gibberish in battles, anyway? Does that continue during the entire game? I think some intern at the development house was trying to mimic the Persona RPG's soundtrack, but hired a tone deaf friend to get the job done.

It mostly stays the same, but I find that my battles very seldom last long enough to get to the rapping part. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »

I haven't noticed the battle music (too much going on, probably) but holy hell the music in town drives me up a wall. The overworld music is nice and orchestral but once I walk into town and that drum machine starts up, ugh.

So I have a question - it took me forever to get 15% map completion to advance the story because it seemed I had to run over the map activating nodes. Now I've read through the manual a bit and it turns out clearing the activity on any hex will contribute to map completion. But I don't understand how to find the other activities be it tyrant or treasure box or whatever. It says you can sometimes get clues added to the map if you talk to people in town but I don't seem to have found those clues. Any hints on how to find these things?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2015, 03:13:01 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 15, 2015, 03:06:27 PM

I haven't noticed the battle music (too much going on, probably) but holy hell the music in town drives me up a wall. The overworld music is nice and orchestral but once I walk into town and that drum machine starts up, ugh.

So I have a question - it took me forever to get 15% map completion to advance the story because it seemed I had to run over the map activating nodes. Now I've read through the manual a bit and it turns out clearing the activity on any hex will contribute to map completion. But I don't understand how to find the other activities be it tyrant or treasure box or whatever. It says you can sometimes get clues added to the map if you talk to people in town but I don't seem to have found those clues. Any hints on how to find these things?

Look for people in town who have a yellow dialog bubble above their head, instead of the standard green one.  When you pass by one, they will give you a short bit of info and you'll see a message that says something like "New Segment info in Primorida".  Look for the "new" marker on your segment map and tap on it.  It will then show what the specific task/collectible/tyrant is for that sector.  Once you find/kill the objective, you'll get a gold "complete" shield and it will increase your completion percentage.  Just be aware that sometimes the thing it unlocks won't be doable until way later.  Got two new ones last night...one for a level 58 tyrant (I'm level 28) and one that required a level 5 Mechanical field skill.

I've found that finding the yellow dialogs sometimes requires you to run around town at different times of day and in different weather conditions.  Went to the residential district at night in the rain, and it unlocked three of them that previously weren't available.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2015, 03:17:28 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 15, 2015, 03:13:01 PM

Look for people in town who have a yellow dialog bubble above their head, instead of the standard green one.  When you pass by one, they will give you a short bit of info and you'll see a message that says something like "New Segment info in Primorida".  Look for the "new" marker on your segment map and tap on it.  It will then show what the specific task/collectible/tyrant is for that sector.  Once you find/kill the objective, you'll get a gold "complete" shield and it will increase your completion percentage.  Just be aware that sometimes the thing it unlocks won't be doable until way later.  Got two new ones last night...one for a level 58 tyrant (I'm level 28) and one that required a level 5 Mechanical field skill.

I've found that finding the yellow dialogs sometimes requires you to run around town at different times of day and in different weather conditions.  Went to the residential district at night in the rain, and it unlocked three of them that previously weren't available.

OK, I've definitely gotten some of those, I'll have to look more closely at my map.

BTW, I think the multiplayer concept that they have in the game is really cool, but I couldn't imagine trying to coordinate with randoms, especially without voice chat.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2015, 03:24:15 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 15, 2015, 03:17:28 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 15, 2015, 03:13:01 PM

Look for people in town who have a yellow dialog bubble above their head, instead of the standard green one.  When you pass by one, they will give you a short bit of info and you'll see a message that says something like "New Segment info in Primorida".  Look for the "new" marker on your segment map and tap on it.  It will then show what the specific task/collectible/tyrant is for that sector.  Once you find/kill the objective, you'll get a gold "complete" shield and it will increase your completion percentage.  Just be aware that sometimes the thing it unlocks won't be doable until way later.  Got two new ones last night...one for a level 58 tyrant (I'm level 28) and one that required a level 5 Mechanical field skill.

I've found that finding the yellow dialogs sometimes requires you to run around town at different times of day and in different weather conditions.  Went to the residential district at night in the rain, and it unlocked three of them that previously weren't available.

OK, I've definitely gotten some of those, I'll have to look more closely at my map.

Took me forever to figure out that you actually have to tap where it says "new" on the touchpad before it actually tells you what the objective is.   icon_redface

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2015, 05:56:22 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 15, 2015, 04:18:24 AM

-On a 4K television the game is a hot mess. It looks like an early PS3 game in terms of jaggies and soft textures. I can see the beauty in the design, but the textures ruin the experience. Many of my PS3 and Xbox 360 games look much better than this, and THAT generation is dead and buried. Its a shame to see the creative vision limited by the WiiU hardware, but only graphic whores will be displeased.

How do PS4 and XB1 games look to you on your 4K set? I brought my PS4 to a Fry's electronics and tried out a variety of 4K sets across multiple games and they all looked bad.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2015, 01:55:39 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 15, 2015, 05:56:22 PM

How do PS4 and XB1 games look to you on your 4K set? I brought my PS4 to a Fry's electronics and tried out a variety of 4K sets across multiple games and they all looked bad.

I'm curious as well. I might be upgrading my TV to a 4K very soon.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »

It's hilarious how little this game explains to you. I discovered the menu that lets you change your class completely by accident last night. I was wondering why I hadn't earned any skills yet.

It's surprising, because Xenoblade Chronicles actually had very good tutorials. I had to learn everything in this game from the manual. Maybe they expect you to know stagger and topple from the previous game (which would be kind of a silly assumption), but the voices thing I had to learn from the manual, among other things.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2015, 12:47:10 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on December 16, 2015, 01:55:39 AM

Quote from: Ridah on December 15, 2015, 05:56:22 PM

I'm curious as well. I might be upgrading my TV to a 4K very soon.

I have a 65" LG 4K OLED television. Supposedly it has a very good upscaler. But OLED technology is also significantly different than LED, as the black is a true black (black= pixel is off). So that may impact the output. 1080p games looks excellent, as they are a straight 2:1 upconversion. 720p games look a little softer, but still very good. True 4K (which I run with my HTPC) looks glorious.

There are only a handful of games that look poor, and Xenoblade Chronicles is definietly one of them. Diablo III and The Witcher III look better upscaled to 4K than their native 1080p reolution. I borrowed a couple of my friend's games and did a side-by side comparison of the 4K LG OLED and my Z series Panasocic plasma.  

My guess for why the game doesnt look as good as many PS3/360 titles may have to do with this developer comment. It is basically their first HD title:

"Given that we at Monolith Soft had no experience with developing HD titles, our goal with this project was to experiment with and implement the assorted tech skills we needed for HD game development."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:13:39 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2015, 01:09:35 AM »

I've just learned that the developers recommend downloading the 10GB of data packs that are available on Nintendo's eshop. This may have been mentioned in this topic somewhere, but apparently they improve the textures and loading times. This is apparently extra and optimized information that could not be fit on the disc. They come automatically with the download version.

http://www.destructoid.com/you-ll-want-to-install-the-xenoblade-chronicles-x-data-packs-before-launch-320691.phtml

It makes a large difference in load times: (start at 1:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7lBVaLb0nw
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »

I have a quest objective to get 4 white comatite from FrontierNav. I found a node that can have white comatite and dropped a level 7 mining thing on it and then headed off to do other stuff. After at least 2 hours I haven't gotten any white comatite. What am I doing wrong?

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »

You may want to check your other data nodes and change any with a White Cometite potential over to mining probes.  After that, it should just be a matter of keeping your hoppers empty so the probes can do their work.  It's rare enough that even sites that have it will take time to produce, so you may want to hang out in NLA and let the game run while your minerals come in.

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2015, 05:41:14 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 20, 2015, 10:27:55 PM

You may want to check your other data nodes and change any with a White Cometite potential over to mining probes.  After that, it should just be a matter of keeping your hoppers empty so the probes can do their work.  It's rare enough that even sites that have it will take time to produce, so you may want to hang out in NLA and let the game run while your minerals come in.

-Autistic Angel

Yeah, I found a second node and set each of them up with 3-chains of level 2 mining nodes and finally got 1 to drop. But I guess I'm just going to have to putz around or just leave the game running. Kind of silly.

What hoppers are you referring to?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2015, 01:08:07 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 21, 2015, 05:41:14 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 20, 2015, 10:27:55 PM

-Autistic Angel

Yeah, I found a second node and set each of them up with 3-chains of level 2 mining nodes and finally got 1 to drop. But I guess I'm just going to have to putz around or just leave the game running. Kind of silly.

What hoppers are you referring to?

There is a maximum level of Miranium that you can store, which can be increased by laying down a Storage Probe.  Not sure if/how that affects the gathering of items though.  Can you not get items if your Miranium level is maxed?

I've hit a massive wall with XCX around Chapter 7.  Pretty much everything I have available - both mission and exploration-wise - has become extremely difficult.  The chapter boss has wiped the floor with me three times now, and I think the only way past is to start grinding.   icon_confused  I'm also a little frustrated with Skell combat, as it's just not clicking at all.  I've watched a few videos about it, but I'm struggling to wrap my head around how it works.

Regarding Skells, I want to buy a new frame for my character, as well as get everyone else suited up with one.  However, every time I go into the "Skell Frames" section of the shop, every available frame option is red, and I get a message saying "You will not be able to use this Skell at your level" if I try to buy one.  I don't see a level indicator anywhere, how do I know what level I need to be to use it?  And how do I know if I can use it on my other party members?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: