http://gamingtrend.com
May 06, 2016, 12:19:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HURTWORLD........not another one.  (Read 466 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Just sayin? You're Just sayin?

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »

Last two or three days when I log into Steam, I get the big splash page with the latest offerings.
Hurtworld is being promoted with a lot of positive feed-back. Yes, it's another Survival game.

Hurtworld, by the reviews, is the best Survival game yet. Hard-core Vets of the genre say its better
than Rust-Legacy.
When you see the add for it, you might just want to click on "next".
It looks at first like a very early Alpha build(graphics).

When you dig in a bit to see the fuss............You realize its not all hype.
It has some unique offerings that others don't.
They classify it as "Hard-core" survival. No hand holding they say. Watched a few videos on YT.
These folk playing in the Vid's, seem to be having a blast in - game.  How strange.   icon_wink

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393420

It's in us to...
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:07:32 PM »

you know what type of game this is going to turn out when at the end of the video you see a dick on a box
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 12:24:29 AM »

I've never played any of these survival games - is there a consensus on the best one out there currently? I've got a couple of friends who play Don't Starve, Rust, and ARK, but I haven't been able to get a good feel on what the conventional wisdom is.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 12:40:53 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 14, 2015, 12:24:29 AM

I've never played any of these survival games - is there a consensus on the best one out there currently? I've got a couple of friends who play Don't Starve, Rust, and ARK, but I haven't been able to get a good feel on what the conventional wisdom is.

Personally I felt like Ark was the one that was best implemented, most robust, and is also being frequently updated and improved every month.  It seemed like even several months and a few large patches ago there was a very long grind of content if you were interested in putting in the time.  Iit was also probably the most interesting for a single player out of those I've played, but I think it would also be much better if you had a group of people to play with since there are clan fort mechanics.

I haven't played them all, but I've put time into DayZ (was very broken, but interesting in concept), Infestation (was better than expected by the time I played it, it was a massive disaster when originally released as WarZ), Don't Starve (didn't hold my interest much at all when I played), H1Z1 (not nearly as polished as I would have expected from Sony, and lost interest after ~15 hours), , Asteroids: Outpost (very unfinished), Minecraft (amazing), and maybe some others.

I'm interested in trying out Subnatica, since it's very different from the others with it's lush underwater environment and has had a good reception even in Early Access.

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Arclight

Just sayin? You're Just sayin?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »

Subnautica is a great game, already. Its an underwater paradise...watch out for the wild-life though.

Salt is pretty well done as well, but I haven't much time in that one at all.

It's in us to...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:15:01 PM »

I have played a few and there are a couple of solid standouts and watched a few others. 

7 Days to Die - smooth voxel based build, craft, survival vs hordes of zombies.  The crafting system is pretty in depth, requiring you to make molds for ammo creation and offer a variety of upgrades for structures.  Has both proc gen worlds and a crafted one. Regularly updated, MP, dedicated servers available.  I have played this the most as it has a good balance of risk/reward.

Subnautica - Underwater survival on a foreign planet.  Looks gorgeous and has some very enjoyable mechanics.  Crafting is manageable not exhaustive.  Has a good progression between day 1 and day 14, with you working your way up from an escape pod to a fully equipped sub that can become your mobile base.  Moderate amount of danger through all stages of development.  Updated fairly regularly, SP only, no plans on MP.  Played 10 hours, got the big sub and now have a larger world to explore.

The Forest - Stranded on an island after a plane crash. 

Empyrion:  Galactic Survival - Voxel based mining and crafting, with multiple planets, interplanetary flight and exploration.  While the planet - space transition is artificial, it makes for a nice bump in performance.  MP, dedicated servers, updated fairly regularly.  crafting is nice in that it lets create some advanced items without having to build every piece in between. 

Planet Explorers - SP and MP voxel based mining and crafting.  SP mode is similar to a traditional MMO, with small quests standing in for a tutorial.  Crafting options exist for vehicles, weapons and structures.  Alien world generation can be very unusual.  Updated irregularly. 

Watched but not played

Stranded Deep - Think Castaway, with your goal being self sufficiency and eventual escape from the islands.  You vs. the environment and hostile animals.  SP only. 

Reign of Kings - Rust style MP focused with castle building and siege engines.  Crafting seemed good, but tuned for a group.  Combat similar to Chivalry

ARK Survival Evolved - Dinosaurs, hunting and taming. MP focused with groups being more effective than lone wolf. 

Savage Lands - Medieval / Celtic mythology based survival.  Feels like Rust mixed with Skyrim.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 05:31:48 PM »

So has anybody actually played Hurtworld, since we're in that thread? 

I liked seeing they had at least a few offroad vehicles, but I'm not sure if those are super rare or somewhat easy to come by.  I'm guessing since they say "Hurtworld aims to punish" that they're super rare and only used by the dedicated people that would kill me in about 5 minutes.   disgust

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: