http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 10:56:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/Linux/Mac/Ps3/Vita] Luftrausers  (Read 567 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »

thought this was already posted but I cannot find it by the games name.  it looks like someone took the Atari games Combat and Crash Dive, bred them together and produced a love child.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »

Or maybe just Two Tigers.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:34:46 PM »

This sounds like a game about German pants.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »

I've played the flash version of this, it's a really good game. Two Tigers is a classic to me, but this takesn it to another level.

You don't just point the plane in a direction and go, instead, you have a rocket engine that's only on or off, so you pull all sorts of crazy anime jetfighter moves, firing rockets, cutting them to wpin in mid air and firing them to jet off in another direction to dodge incoming fire.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:30:18 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on March 21, 2013, 07:34:46 PM

This sounds like a game about German pants.

icon_lol  thumbsup

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »

PS3/Vita version gets a launch date:  March 18.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 03, 2014, 05:29:07 PM

PS3/Vita version gets a launch date:  March 18.

PC, Mac and Linux on that date as well.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:53:08 AM »

played about an hour of it.  man, you really need to see the game in full blown action mode.  it's like a bullet hell that you can actually live through.  I've unlocked about 6 or so different parts (Wings/Guns, Body, Engine) and each of them has 5 levels of challenges to complete.  it's hectic, it's a challenge to master each of the plane types and you die a lot. 

too bad it's not on PS4 or I'd stream some of it. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 03:13:31 AM »

I played the heck out of the flash version, definitely in for the update.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 03:29:12 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 21, 2013, 06:49:57 PM

Or maybe just Two Tigers.

I used to play for hours in Lexington, Kentucky when we'd go for my dad's seminars and stuff each year.  Then one year it was gone. frown
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »

I read 3 different reviews, still don't know what the controls of the game are. Is a controller a must? Mouse and keyboard work well?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »

You wouldn't need a mouse, and I could see the keyboard working, actually.  The trick with the controls is figuring out that you need to hold the acceleration direction if you want to go forward.  That sounds obvious, I know, but it's tricky at first.  Also, a lot of times the thrusters make it more difficult to turn while you're accelerating.  If you're not accelerating, you're stalling, which you can use to your advantage, but it will eventually lead to a crash.  Also, you only heal when you're not firing.  However, you want to be holding down the fire button most of the time.

All of this makes the game sound complicated, but it couldn't be simpler.  It's a twitch arcade game.  It had an app mentality, but this wouldn't work well as an app.  It is simple as hell and addictive, it's just that there's an initial hiccup period where your brain has to adjust to the controls.  Doesn't take long at all, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »

Keyboard (and no doubt joystick) are the only control options.

Basically the game controls exactly like the arcade classic Asteroids, except there's gravity. And you can't teleport. And your ship regenerates health when not shooting.

Turn left, turn right, thrust, shoot. 3 arrow keys and X.

And as mentioned, the game is a ton of fun and very addicting. I love it. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »

I've unlocked pretty much every wing part except 3 which may be locked behind an objective to kill a blimp.  I have only ran into this once and didn't have my nuke frame equipped so I died pretty easily.  It's like going against two battleships in close proximity (which I've had happen at least 5 times or so) and at the top of the screen so you can't circle strafe it. 

I love the cannon but my favorite combo is called "Danger Zone".  too bad they couldn't get this to play in the background

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 19, 2014, 03:33:20 PM

Keyboard (and no doubt joystick) are the only control options.

Basically the game controls exactly like the arcade classic Asteroids, except there's gravity. And you can't teleport. And your ship regenerates health when not shooting.

Turn left, turn right, thrust, shoot. 3 arrow keys and X.

And as mentioned, the game is a ton of fun and very addicting. I love it. biggrin

Awesome, thanks Destructor and Bullwinkle.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 09:10:09 PM »

fwiw, here's a Vita version review at Pocketgamer (UK):
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+Vita/Luftrausers/review.asp?c=58206
Alongside the impeccable Spelunky, Luftrausers is - when at its best - among the most enjoyable experiences you can have on Vita.

When you're on a good run, threading through a tight weave of bullets, pirouetting in mid-air to swat a nuisance fighter jet on your tail, swooping into the ocean to dive-bomb a boat, juking to outsmart a battleship's guns, and nursing a fragile MAX combo, Luftrausers momentarily becomes the best game you've ever played.

It's a dizzying, mesmerising, frenetic dance to a death. A wicked smart balancing act of attack and defence. A white-knuckle thrill ride through the sky. And there's that catchy electronic riff.
While I don't have a Vita yet (I bought two PSPs over the years, but Vita's lineup to this point hasn't appealed much to my niche tastes), I'm edging towards one in preparation for Helldivers this summer.  icon_smile

While I know this is on Steam and all, I'm marking it down as a little something I might enjoy on Vita as well.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »

I went ahead and picked this up on Steam last night. While it works fine with an XBox360 controller, I confess I find the steering doesn't always quite go in the direction I'm trying to go in. Just take some time to get used to it, I guess. Very fun though.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
paulstraytalker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 11:22:40 PM »

Liked Two Tigers and this one.... Fun,fun,fun... nod
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »

not sure what the best method is to get the blimp to spawn, but I did rack up 6 battleships in one attempt.  the little challenges are still fun, but some are a huge PITA.  getting subs is easy whenever I'm not using the mod that needs those kills to advance, for instance. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: