http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:33:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Banished  (Read 560 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2014, 02:02:15 AM »

This city-building strategy simulation was just released on Steam today (as well as GOG, the Humble store, and the developer's website DRM free with Steam key).  This is an indie game made by one developer, but it looks polished visually at least.

It has an interesting structure with no tech trees to get access to any building and the only goal is survival of your townspeople.  Seems like a nice, serene builder until you have to worry about everyone dying in the winter. smile

Has anybody tried it yet? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 02:49:50 AM »

Got my copy this morning but only was able to play it a couple of hours so far this evening. Enjoying it very much icon_biggrin.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 03:04:17 AM »

Cool!  I'd love to hear more impressions after you've had some more time with it. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 03:37:39 AM »

I've only got an hour or so in so far but I'm really really digging it.  The open endedness is exactly what I want out of a game like this, and it seems to be the more mature Settlers game I was hoping it would be.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 03:41:43 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 19, 2014, 03:04:17 AM

Cool!  I'd love to hear more impressions after you've had some more time with it. 

Rather than running a separate thread, I'd just redirect you to the discussion over at OO, unless of course it's uncool to link to another site's forum.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 04:33:39 AM »

Put in about an hour.  I think I like it, but I'm not much into city-builders so I don't really have a basis of comparison.  Still trying to wrap my brain around how everything fits together, which is a bit...challenging.  Seems like a nice relaxing change of pace.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:46:26 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on February 19, 2014, 03:41:43 AM

Rather than running a separate thread, I'd just redirect you to the discussion over at OO, unless of course it's uncool to link to another site's forum.

I guess it's not uncool, but the whole point of my being on GT is to read things and have discussions on GT.  slywink

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 07:09:12 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 19, 2014, 04:46:26 AM

Quote from: jztemple2 on February 19, 2014, 03:41:43 AM

I guess it's not uncool, but the whole point of my being on GT is to read things and have discussions on GT.  slywink

I split my time between the two forums and would give GT an equal chance, but the Banish thread over there has been going awhile. After I put in a bit more time on the game I'll come here and present my impressions. So far I'm pretty happy with it, even after seven straight hours playing. However, we'll see if it has legs after a couple more days.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »

Yeah one thing i have noticed is a real cross over between OO, GT and QT3, i give all of them priority but normally i thread somewhere is bigger.

I have played the tutorial so far and it looks great, problem is im really getting in to Terraria so finding enough time for both is difficult. Shall try to play more later.

1 thing i think is it looks great, amazing for just person in fact.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 04:50:05 PM »

Seems like a lot of people reporting different problems with peasants just not doing their job (both on OO and the Steam forums).  How widespread is that?  I think problems like that will definitely make me wait until they are patched.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 04:56:22 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 19, 2014, 04:50:05 PM

Seems like a lot of people reporting different problems with peasants just not doing their job (both on OO and the Steam forums).  How widespread is that?  I think problems like that will definitely make me wait until they are patched.

In my case, I was marking too many resources for removal (stone, wood, iron) all at once.  The villagers would get tunnel vision focused on clearing everything I marked before doing anything else, and forgo moving materials to building sites even if all necessary materials were already stored.

It'd be nice if the dev patched things to make the AI smarter about this aspect, but in the meantime it's not a huge deal to just mark smaller areas for resource removal.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:36 PM »

I think that the game is properly coded for the resource gathering function; the player assignments have a higher priority than the AI assigned ones. The player is in control after all, or in my case, I think I am in control  Roll Eyes. I'm also guilty of assigning too many tasks or too large an area. Once I changed my approach, things ran more smoothly.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 04:14:53 AM »

how does this compare to say Anno series or the older city builders (Zeus, Cleopatra, etc.)? 

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 04:30:53 AM »

Quote from: Caine on February 20, 2014, 04:14:53 AM

how does this compare to say Anno series or the older city builders (Zeus, Cleopatra, etc.)? 

I played all the Sierra City builders and I would say there is a lot of them in this game, except primarily for the military aspect and a few others. Still has that same sort of vibe. There is a series of "Let's Play" videos that will give you a pretty good feel for how the game plays.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: