http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:08:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/PS3] F1 2013  (Read 426 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »

I've been enjoying my time with 2012, but I'm going to have to spring for 2013 ... eventually:

There is a new game in the pipeline called F1 2013', and it is a racing simulator based on the 2013 F1 season. That much is clear. But, contained within is a section called 'F1 Classic', introduced by the one and only Murray Walker, and here's where it gets interesting.

Well, interesting for those of a certain disposition, because in this version, you will be able to pilot classic Formula One machinery from the 1980s and play as drivers such as Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Gerhard Berger and the moustachioed agent of monotone himself, Nigel Mansell. So far, the roster of cars confirmed are the 1980 Williams FW07B, 1988 Williams FW12 and 1988 Lotus 100T. Some Ferraris will appear as well.

There's a 'classic edition' version of this game available too, which unlocks some 90s gems from Williams and Ferrari - including the 1992 Williams FW14B and 1996 Williams FW18 - as well as drivers including David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Eddie Irvine, Alain Prost and more.

There will be classic circuits too, including Brands Hatch, Imola, Estoril and Jerez, and judging by the screenshots above, it all looks rather dandy indeed. You'll be able to go split-screen, online, and experience "new and returning game modes" that will blow your tiny minds.

Codemasters page

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:42:27 PM »

This sounds very cool, and I'll probably get it just so that I can unlock Jacques Villeneuve and race as him again in an updated game.  That said, I wish they'd really take the challenge and rewind all the way back to 1967, so we could have the challenge of overpowered, wingless cars again. If only because I loved the uber challenge of Grand Prix Legends and pine for an update.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:46:43 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 18, 2013, 07:42:27 PM

If only because I loved the uber challenge of Grand Prix Legends and pine for an update.

That sim was so damn hard.  I remember getting so frustrated trying to drive the thing through turns.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on July 18, 2013, 07:46:43 PM

If only because I loved the uber challenge of Grand Prix Legends and pine for an update.

That sim was so damn hard.  I remember getting so frustrated trying to drive the thing through turns.

It took a lot of practice and having the correct car setup was an absolute MUST. The excellent booklet -4 Wheel Drift- that accompanied the game really helped with understanding all that. As well, the later patch allowed the use of Force feedback wheels and that made a world of difference for correct handling in turns. I just thought the whole retro feel of the game was way too cool.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:08:41 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on July 18, 2013, 07:46:43 PM

Part of the reason it was so hard was due to an error/bug in the default set-ups, which allowed the cars to bottom out in hard cornering, causing you to lose traction and spin out. It was fixed in a patch but the game had gotten the bad reputation by then.

I was going to skip the latest Codemasters F1 game this year since there were no new tracks and the cars, as far as the player is concerned, were pretty much the same. About the only real noticeable difference would be the DRS, which in 2013 can only be used in the DRS zones even in practice and qualifying, as opposed to the previous year where you could use it anywhere, except in the race. But I also am being seduced by the idea of the old tracks and old cars, although I'm not sure how much different the car feel would be to the average player (as opposed to the real F1 2012 experts). Certainly Mansell's 1992 Williams, with active suspension, is going to be easier to drive in many respects.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 10:46:01 PM »

I still have F1 Challenge 99-02 installed on 1 of my desktops when I feel the itch for the old tracks and drivers. But man did that game ever have a few performance bugs - like extreme slow-mo in corners whenever a few cars are present. I have a few beefs with Codemasters F1, but performance isn't one, even for the 360 version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: