http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 08:06:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360] Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death  (Read 174 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:06:17 AM »

This is without a doubt the most fun I've had with a platformer since Lara Croft Guardian of Light. It's also one of the best entertainment values I've gotten with a videogame on account of it only being $7.50 on Steam until Friday Oct. 25th. The game's completely over the top and doesn't ever really take itself serious. The character you play seems like a cross between Riddick, Eddie Murphy and a beefy blaxploitation protagonists like The Hammer or Black Gunn. The game shamelessly rips off, in a good way, a lot of the gameplay from Tomb Raider and God of War. It's got full 360 controller support and the controls feel fluid.

The games not perfect and suffers from some bad camera angles and the repeat-until-you-remember-the-sequence jumping puzzles that many an action-platformer has. That said, the whole thing is nicely produced and it's really one of those games where the whole play experience is greater than the sum of its parts.  From what I've heard the demo doesn't do it justice - I wouldn't know because I liked what I read about it and went straight to the full game. Anyhow; 2 hours in and loving this game. I'm thinking if you like platformers and over the top action, this game is probably for you.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:16:35 AM by kronovan » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:08:04 PM »

I tried it on the 360, and it seemed to be goofy fun, if a little sloppy.

If it had come out at the beginning of the summer when I was looking for stuff to play, I may have jumped at it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

I forgot I downloaded the trial for this, haven't cranked up the 360 for some time. And yes - 'goofy if a little sloppy fun' sums up what I recall.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 22, 2013, 01:08:04 PM

I tried it on the 360, and it seemed to be goofy fun, if a little sloppy.

From all I've read it sounds like the game plays better on the PC. I'm thinking it's probably a bit demanding for the 360 - I'm running it on my gaming laptop, which is more powerful than a 360, and I'm getting the odd bit of slow down and sound hiccups during cut scenes. I haven't had any sense of sloppiness with gameplay, with the 1 exception that during a cart-to-cart jumping sequence in a mine the controls felt a little bit unresponsive for side jumping. Other than that though, the controls have been very smooth.

[Edit] When I get a chance, I'll download the trial on the 360 for a comparison.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:46:18 PM by kronovan » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »

The game is on sale at Gamersgate (Steam key) for $3.75.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: