http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 02:01:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC Steam] Steam Greenlight Towns now available  (Read 467 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »

Towns is now available on Steam.

Towns brings a fresh new take on the citybuilding/management genre by introducing many RPG features.

The game has you managing a settlement on top of an active dungeon. Instead of playing the hero who delves deep into the dungeon, how about playing the town that houses and caters to the hero's needs?

Both the RPG and strategic aspects will be fleshed out over a series of sprawling dungeons.

Attract travelling heroes that will independently explore the dungeons below, fight off monsters, gain levels, special skills and collect the best loot they can find in order to clear the land of all evil!

Craft unique weapons, trade with exotic items, obtain randomized loot, set up devious death traps and build a settlement capable of holding back the forces that come up from the depths!

Sounds interesting to me since I'm a sucker for builder games. Has anyone given this a try?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »

Iíve been playing it for a couple weeks.  Itís basically above ground dwarf fortress with an actual interface and graphics engine.  Itís not quite as deep as DF but they are continuously adding new features so someday it could be. 

The tutorials are a bit lacking however; donít expect to pick the game up and be able to figure out everything on your first go.  In fact I restarted 5 times before I got the hang of it and that was with using the online wiki for tips.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »

And I found the demo for it at the developer's site, so that's good.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »

Demo is a good call on this one.  I really like the game but itís definitely not going to appeal to everyone.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »

I wonder how it compares with Gnomoria.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »

I have both.  Towns is better at automation and building but has a pretty bad interface for digging unground.  Gnomoria is a bit clunkier getting things set up but has a great engine for mining. 

Ultimately I think Gnomoria will eventually become the better game but right now Towns has it beat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: