http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:20:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC]Gears of War  (Read 3911 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2007, 01:10:45 AM »

I'm pretty sure that:
A) I'm the only person here without an XBox360 [I exaggerate, but it feels that way  icon_mrgreen]
B) I'm the only person who bought the PC version of Gears of War.

Just thought I'd check though if I'm wrong about B. Would love to do the campaign co-op with anyone interested. If there isn't anybody here, that's OK, just checking. smile

The PC version comes with one month of Games for Window LIVE! which is, well, useless to me unless there is really anyone interested in co-op on this (I don't think the online team DM stuff will interest me much).

Oh I must give Kudos to Epic for actually making parts of the EULA agreement both entertaining and more understandable to read. smile For example:
Thanks.  We’re Epic Games, Inc. of Cary, North Carolina U.S.A. (“Epic”).  We would like to congratulate you and thank you for licensing our Software. We’re sorry to cramp your style, but our lawyers tell us that if we want to keep control and ownership of the cool stuff we and our licensors are developing, we have to make sure you understand and agree that you are just buying a right to use it and that that right is limited in certain ways.

Cheating.  Nobody likes a cheater.  It’s a disgraceful way to earn a win and really is an insult to those players who earn their wins in on-line games the old-fashioned way-WITH TALENT.  We’re pretty hard on cheating in on-line games using the Software because it sullies the overall gaming experience and is JUST PLAIN LAME.  With that in mind, if you are caught cheating in an on-line game using the Software we will immediately and permanently ban your CD Key.  At that point, this License Agreement is automatically terminated and you must immediately delete this software from your PC.  Failure to comply with this last bit (deleting the software) may bring on the wrath of the lawyers.  Trust us…you don’t want that.

Termination.  This license is effective until one of us terminates it.  You may terminate this license at any time by destroying the Software and related documentation.  In the unlikely event that you are naughty and fail to comply with any provision of this license, this license will terminate immediately without notice from us.  Upon termination, you must destroy the Software and related documentation.  Please don’t wait for us to come after you; it would not be pleasant for either of us.  If we do have to come after you, we’re going to expect you to pay us for our troubles, including the cost of our lawyers.
I think that's the first time I actually read the EULA all the way through hoping to find something amusing. smile
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:18:04 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 01:33:07 AM »

I never read them smile

That said I also dont have a Xbox 360. I found GoW PC for download though and have been trying it out tonight. Surprisingly I find myself giving it a 10 score. I am a tad put off by it being a purely stop and pop game...at least it seems that way so far...Im just at the House of Commons or whatever looking for Alpha Team. Maybe it changes later on. But that doesn't stop me from thinking this is a damn good game. In fact i like it so much that Ive asked the wife to get me GoW PC for Xmas. My biggest problem now is deciding do I play on through now or wait till she gives it to me. smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 02:10:08 AM »

My friend made me buy it yesterday.  Ugh...too much crap. 

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 02:48:48 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 01, 2007, 01:33:07 AM

I am a tad put off by it being a purely stop and pop game...at least it seems that way so far...Im just at the House of Commons or whatever looking for Alpha Team. Maybe it changes later on. But that doesn't stop me from thinking this is a damn good game.

the fundamental gameplay never changes from 'stop and pop,' but they do mix it up with great environments and variation in the enemies you face.  a lot of people have knocked Gears for not having much of a story, but i found myself so caught up in the fantastic, fast-paced action that i really didn't care.  i had a great time playing through the single-player campaign, but i have to say that going through the campaign on co-op is where the game really shines.  they obviously designed GoW with co-op in mind and it's incredibly fun with a friend by your side. 

one little suggestion as well...once you get a feel for the basic gameplay, up the difficulty to 'hardcore' and give it a try.  the enemies are more aggressive, and it really increases the tension of firefights to have the Locusts pressing your position.  while i enjoyed the game on Casual, i thought it was a much better experience on hardcore.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 02:55:38 AM »

Well, never mind. Despite updating my ATI drivers to the latest, installing the required AMD CPU driver (!) and patching the game, the game crashes to the desktop roughly every 15 seconds with the typical Microsoft useless error message memory address garbage. I can't even keep it running long enough to see what the game looks like.  disgust

Addendum! Ahem. OK, premature rant. Apparently at 1024X768 the game crashes like mad on my system but it's quite stable at other resolutions. I do have an aging system and it just runs OK, but it seems less sluggish than the Unreal-engined MOH: Airborne, fwiw.

It looks fine. I'm not crazy about the camera view being so zoomed in (I prefer the adjustability as in Hellgate).

What seems to be crashing like mad is the Live.exe component of the game, but the game .exe itself seems fine.

Addendum 2: Well, now it's back to crashing like mad. I'm at a loss. And no, clicking the "technical details" or "about this error" don't give anything remotely helpful in terms of troubleshooting the problem. I'll do some research.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 03:46:26 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 03:07:22 AM »

Did you check the Application Log in the Event Viewer?
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 03:10:23 AM »

Quote from: disarm on December 01, 2007, 02:48:48 AM

I am a tad put off by it being a purely stop and pop game...at least it seems that way so far...Im just at the House of Commons or whatever looking for Alpha Team. Maybe it changes later on. But that doesn't stop me from thinking this is a damn good game.

the fundamental gameplay never changes from 'stop and pop,' but they do mix it up with great environments and variation in the enemies you face.  a lot of people have knocked Gears for not having much of a story, but i found myself so caught up in the fantastic, fast-paced action that i really didn't care.  i had a great time playing through the single-player campaign, but i have to say that going through the campaign on co-op is where the game really shines.  they obviously designed GoW with co-op in mind and it's incredibly fun with a friend by your side. 

one little suggestion as well...once you get a feel for the basic gameplay, up the difficulty to 'hardcore' and give it a try.  the enemies are more aggressive, and it really increases the tension of firefights to have the Locusts pressing your position.  while i enjoyed the game on Casual, i thought it was a much better experience on hardcore.

Ah, thanks for the input.  I will restart on hardcore...gotta love it smile  Too bad I already die too much on casual Tongue

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 04:03:55 AM »

I finally got it to work, and I love it but it gets hard quick smile

I found GoW PC for download though and have been trying it out tonight.

Well that is quite brazen.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 04:11:02 AM »

Well, I give up on this at this point. Maybe when I get a new PC with the dreaded Vista, Windows Live won't crash the game every 10 seconds.  icon_frown I was able to get it to run maybe once or twice, but even then I'd briefly glimpse a "wargame_windowsLive.exe" file crash message in the background briefly. Now I can't get the game to run at all, it just won't avoid crashing to desktop long enough.

I just don't see why they had to tie the game so tightly into Windows Live crap that I can't even get to enjoy the single player stuff.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 04:12:35 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 04:20:20 AM »

Try doing an update on the windows live software manually. I forget exactly how i did it, i believe i found it on MS website.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 06:14:18 AM »

It is going to be 29.99 tomorrow-I think thats cheap enough to get me to try it for the new chapters. I am one of those wierdos that just LOVED gears of war.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 09:35:41 AM »

Oh, just to prove Microsoft is trying to drive me screaming from PCs to Macs...

-I can't run Gears of War PC (even in this broken, sometimes it runs, mostly it crashes form) without the latest ATI drivers.

-However, the latest ATI drivers "break" the DRM-reading function of my Best Buy Rhapsody music store (for my Sansa MP3 player).

So, I can play a half-arsed, barely functional version of Gears of War. Or my subscription-based MP3 player can function at all. Or I can join the crowd and get a noisy, unreliable console that may or may not work for more than a few weeks, or months.

Yes, Microsoft has found a way to introduce bugs and patches to console games, make consoles that fail frequently, AND screw me -- the last non-next-gen-consoler -- over in the PC-ports department. They're amazing!!!!!  headbang3

**** Microsoft!  finger

Bah. I can't believe Hellgate is actually looking good right now. What a waste of 50 bucks. I would stay away from Gears of War PC even at 30. I knew I was in trouble when the install menu warned me that not having a specific ATI driver and not having this bizarre AMD CPU "driver" installed (which are on the disc, to their credit) meant that "your game will crash without warning and all progress will be lost." WTF?

Oh well, enough negativity. I feel I've been ranting all week. To no effect. Action, not words, Blackjack!

Maybe I'll get a Mac, and a PS3, and wash myself of Microsoft altogether. I'm sure Bill Gates will shed a lot of tears over that.  crybaby icon_biggrin

P.S. If you are looking to get this and can't get in on the apparent sale tomorrow, I might go ahead and put this up in the Trade/Sell forum later.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 09:43:29 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 02:06:59 PM »

I played it on the 360 and loved it, so I bought the PC version too.  If anyone wants to play co-op, send me a PM or message Forcebane on Xbox Live.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 09:09:26 PM »

I have a $50 gift card from work and was thinking about picking this up with it for the new chapters.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »

During the game I see those red GoW symbols with a skull in them..on walls...doors..whatever.DO they mean anything like the HL2 one did to Gordon?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 10:22:46 PM »

Nm I think they mean you can find dog tags nearby.

I guess Im done with it till I get a legit copy. It failed to save my progress last exit from the game and now my only choices are to either start a new campaign or start with mission 1 in act 5. I had just started mission 1 in act 2 when I exited last time. Oh well. Back to Jade Empire or something.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 12:01:40 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on December 01, 2007, 10:22:46 PM

Nm I think they mean you can find dog tags nearby.

I guess Im done with it till I get a legit copy. It failed to save my progress last exit from the game and now my only choices are to either start a new campaign or start with mission 1 in act 5. I had just started mission 1 in act 2 when I exited last time. Oh well. Back to Jade Empire or something.

Well, when you pirate games bad things happen man.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 01:25:08 AM »

Please forgive me, but I have hard time listening to complaints about lost saves from someone playing a pirated copy of the game.

What the hell.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 03:39:41 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on December 03, 2007, 01:25:08 AM

Please forgive me, but I have hard time listening to complaints about lost saves from someone playing a pirated copy of the game.

What the hell.

Indeed sir, indeed.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 07:12:57 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 01, 2007, 09:35:41 AM

-I can't run Gears of War PC (even in this broken, sometimes it runs, mostly it crashes form) without the latest ATI drivers.

-However, the latest ATI drivers "break" the DRM-reading function of my Best Buy Rhapsody music store (for my Sansa MP3 player).

So, I can play a half-arsed, barely functional version of Gears of War. Or my subscription-based MP3 player can function at all. Or I can join the crowd and get a noisy, unreliable console that may or may not work for more than a few weeks, or months.

Yes, Microsoft has found a way to introduce bugs and patches to console games, make consoles that fail frequently, AND screw me -- the last non-next-gen-consoler -- over in the PC-ports department. They're amazing!!!!!  headbang3

**** Microsoft!  finger

wouldn't ATI's drivers breaking stuff be ATI's problem?  hell, that's the whole reason why I'll never have another ATI video card in my system.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 10:18:05 PM »

I fail to see how this is MS's fault.  If it's subscription based, call up Rhapsody and tell them to fix their damn software so you can use the service you are paying for.  And ask them why the hell a video driver update breaks their audio software.
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 03:22:28 AM »

So whats the game all about?
Single player, multiplayer, teams based, all of the above or?
Third person shooter?
What game is it like?

The hype I read is kinda confusing, hence the querry to real gamers.
Also, I had never heard of this before, seems to have come out of left field, but some people really like it.

Byte me
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »

Well, I give up on this at this point. Maybe when I get a new PC with the dreaded Vista, Windows Live won't crash the game every 10 seconds.  icon_frown I was able to get it to run maybe once or twice, but even then I'd briefly glimpse a "wargame_windowsLive.exe" file crash message in the background briefly. Now I can't get the game to run at all, it just won't avoid crashing to desktop long enough.

I haven't confirmed this myself, But I have heard that the newest ATi drivers do not support AGP graphics cards and will conflict with them. I am currently running catalyst 7.8 drivers with a Radeon 1600 AGP card and I haven't had any in game problems, but I haven't tried Gears on them. So if your card is AGP then that may be your problem.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 03:54:02 PM »

Quote from: ANZAC on December 06, 2007, 03:22:28 AM

Single player, multiplayer, teams based, all of the above or?
Third person shooter?
What game is it like?

The hype I read is kinda confusing, hence the querry to real gamers.
Also, I had never heard of this before, seems to have come out of left field, but some people really like it.
You *really* don't follow the console side of things, do you? smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 04:24:27 PM »

Quote from: ANZAC on December 06, 2007, 03:22:28 AM

Single player, multiplayer, teams based, all of the above or? all of the above
Third person shooter? yep
What game is it like? There should be a thread in console gaming that has alot of impressions

Because I can,
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 03:28:35 AM »

my bad.......

Byte me
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 03:40:42 PM »

Finally! I bought a new PC last night (just a solid HP quad-core system with a reasonably strong 8600GT card). I felt like the first test *had* to be my PC Gears of War since I spent so much time griping about it on my old system.

Aside from one initial crash the first time I started it, it's run without a hitch. And it looks great, plays well, I can finally feel what the fuss was about.  icon_cool

Couple screenies (at 1280X1024, which is quite playable on the new system out of the box):

I really dig it now, albeit 5 months late.  nod

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »

Well, I'm interested. The screenies look nice.
Unreal Engine practically screams like it should have a first-person option. But nothing I've read refers to this as anything other than third-person.
I'm gonna say they went ahead and made it third-person only, correct?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 09:05:12 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on April 19, 2008, 06:16:29 PM

Unreal Engine practically screams like it should have a first-person option. But nothing I've read refers to this as anything other than third-person.

Yup.  It's pretty necessary given the combat is mostly duck-n-cover type stuff. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 12:19:26 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 19, 2008, 09:05:12 PM

Quote from: Giles Habibula on April 19, 2008, 06:16:29 PM

Yup.  It's pretty necessary given the combat is mostly duck-n-cover type stuff. 

plus it's satisfying to watch your guy eviscerate an enemy with the chainsaw.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 01:16:51 AM »

I'm enjoying the game now, but it is regularly kicking my a**, even on the easiest skill level. I guess I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet. I like a challenge though.  icon_twisted

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 05:48:05 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 20, 2008, 01:16:51 AM

I'm enjoying the game now, but it is regularly kicking my a**, even on the easiest skill level. I guess I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet. I like a challenge though.  icon_twisted

On the console version there was one spot I couldn't make it past.  A, get to point X in Y seconds type of thing.  Knightshade was online though so he popped on and ran me past it. slywink  Does this have any match-making abilities, a la Steam?  I'm playing through CoD4 (finally) and I actually really dug this on the 360.  I'd pick it up on the PC for some coop.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 11:14:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 03, 2007, 07:12:57 AM

**** Microsoft!  finger

wouldn't ATI's drivers breaking stuff be ATI's problem?  hell, that's the whole reason why I'll never have another ATI video card in my system.

+1  that ain't MS' fault this time slywink
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 11:19:13 PM »

got the game from a Microsoft Game Studios employee this week... spent a few hours cleaning off my hard drive and defraggling and installing (12GB footprint!) only to be greeted by a "Your PC does not meet minimum hardware requirements - Continue?" message upon boot (due to the Athlon 2500 processor). it defaulted to 640x320 resolution and the game itself looks like pixelated garbage. and what's with the "You must be signed in with a profile to save" thing?
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2008, 01:57:18 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on May 10, 2008, 11:19:13 PM

got the game from a Microsoft Game Studios employee this week... spent a few hours cleaning off my hard drive and defraggling and installing (12GB footprint!) only to be greeted by a "Your PC does not meet minimum hardware requirements - Continue?" message upon boot (due to the Athlon 2500 processor). it defaulted to 640x320 resolution and the game itself looks like pixelated garbage. and what's with the "You must be signed in with a profile to save" thing?

Because it's a Games For Windows Live game  you really need a Live account to play it.  It's the same as the Xbox Live account if you already have one of those.  If not you can still get a free one for GFW Live games.  For some stupid reason GoW saves games linked to your Live account.  Don't know why they did this, since even when linked they don't survive a PC reinstall (just lost my save games thanks to this) and I've never been able to find the spot where is stores the saved games on disk either.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »

Has anyone noticed stuttering while playing? I don't think it's a framerate issue, it seems like the game skips occasionally. I have the latest patch as well.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 03:35:09 PM »

Quote from: egrudzin on May 11, 2008, 01:57:18 PM

Quote from: hitbyambulance on May 10, 2008, 11:19:13 PM

Because it's a Games For Windows Live game  you really need a Live account to play it.  It's the same as the Xbox Live account if you already have one of those.  If not you can still get a free one for GFW Live games.  For some stupid reason GoW saves games linked to your Live account.  Don't know why they did this, since even when linked they don't survive a PC reinstall (just lost my save games thanks to this) and I've never been able to find the spot where is stores the saved games on disk either.
I just created a profile. Didn't need to go online for it.
Savegames won't work unless you create a profile, but as near as I could tell, you don't need to go online for that part.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 04:11:07 PM »

It has that save game bug where they will just POOF and thats that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: