http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:55:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC]Fallen London!  (Read 501 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »

Fallen London! Is an internet based text adventure of sorts, though that really doesn't begin to describe it or do it justice.

There's quite a bit of roleplaying involved, too, as you must level up various attributes to accomplish certain story goals.  These attributes are Watchful, Shadowy, Dangerous and Persuasive.  You also collect items on your journey that can help you.  I had collected a few bottles of wine by telling some good stories at a nightclub.  Later, I used one of the bottles of wine to pry some information from a spy.   This increased my Persuasive attribute, but also gave me some points in a storyline that would include some intrigue.

Also, I've been commissioned to write some mushroom-based poetry.

The whole thing is set in a steampunky Victorianesque London, and is ripe with atmosphere, humor and creatively bizarre touches.  For example, at the beginning, you choose your gender and this is what comes up:

Spoiler for Hiden:

I chose the latter, and it comes up in story text from time to time.

It's a very story-driven game, and it's a lot of fun.  Plus, it's free, for the most part.

The only drawback is some mild IAP in the form of actions that are generated over time.  You get 10 to use, and each thing you do costs at least one, but when you're out, you've got to wait in real time for more or you can buy more.  So far, it hasn't been a hindrance, really.  I generally hate those and yet they haven't bothered me much in this game.

The game has been gaining a lot of attention, so if you haven't already played it, give it a go.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »

Is this what used to be known as 'Echo Bazaar'?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 21, 2012, 10:37:54 PM

Is this what used to be known as 'Echo Bazaar'?

I don't know, but it could be, as echoes are a form of currency and there is a bazaar.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 02:04:04 AM »

Yep, on the front page it says, "The Home of Echo Bazaar". So I think it's a central landing page for the game and probably any off shoots of it.

I keep hearing about that game from various sources, and keep meaning to try it out. There's quite a few mechanics I want to copy for a game of my own.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »

I played this for awhile last year, but in the end the free to play facebook style energy limitations put me off
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »

I've been playing this for a couple of years, I enjoy it a lot. I'd encourage people to give it a try. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: