http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:36:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC]Expeditions:Conquistador  (Read 228 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »

I did a search and didn't find a thread for this gem of a game, and thought I would try and get the ball rolling.

Expeditions: Conquistador was recently released through steam, after a successful kickstarter campaign last summer.

The game is billed as, and I quote:

Expeditions: Conquistador is a tactical roleplaying game with a touch of strategic resource management and a pinch of choose-your-own-adventure. Conquistador is set in a rarely visited part of history which is rife with mystery, political intrigue, and good old-fashioned violence.

You will take on the role of a Spanish Conquistador in Central America in 1518-1520. Select the members of your expedition and explore campaign maps based on the actual topological maps of Hispaniola and Mexico. Through intricately branching dialogue, you will engage with the characters and situations that you encounter across these uncharted areas, and when itís time to spill blood, a tactical combat system of great depth and brutality will let you control your individual troops in battle.

Combat is intimate and detailed, and failure has great consequences. Every expedition member has a face, a past, a set of personality traits, and of course a combat role - their morale will change depending on your decisions, they will chime in when you're weighing your options, and if they fall in battle, their injuries will carry over to the world map, where they must be treated by your doctors until they're back on their feet. Should you fail to treat your expedition members, they will die and be gone for good. 

Choice and consequence is central to the play experience of Conquistador. As the leader of the expedition, you will face difficult decisions about the use of your troops and your resources, as well as how to engage with the factions of the savage New World. Will you defy history and be a diplomatic envoy of peace? Or will you be a ruthless conqueror determined to lay all of the Aztec Empire at your feet?

Suffice to say I am having an absolute blast with the game, but man it can be brutal.  It almost has a "rogue-like" feel to it with random events that can really set you back, for example I had one of my scouts get attacked by a vicious creature from the jungle and being severely injured, taking multiple days to treat the wounds.

Every character you take along on your expedition has a set of personality traits, such as cautious, courageous, pious, racist, etc...which come in to play with every decision you make.  Decide to let the natives complete their ritual for their dead and you improve the morale of your open minded "soldiers", however you will piss off your pious soldiers at the same time.

I am finding there to be a pretty good depth to the turn based tactical combat, and in fact it is currently crushing me on a particularly rough battle.  I am concerned I choose poorly on some of my starting decisions.

Anyways, I hope there are others out there who are enjoying the gem of a game.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:38:29 AM »

It's a great game! I'm almost done with the first of the two campaigns, and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's extremely well written for what it is, and the gameplay is very fun. This is the kind of thing we imagined when Kickstarter first got into the spotlight. If you're at all interested in turn-based RPGs, buy this! Support the small devs and show that there's truly a market for this kind of thing. So far the developers have said that sales are OK so far. It'd be a shame if sales didn't end up great after all the wailing us turn-based gamers have been doing for years and years.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 07, 2013, 04:38:29 AM

It's a great game! I'm almost done with the first of the two campaigns, and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's extremely well written for what it is, and the gameplay is very fun. This is the kind of thing we imagined when Kickstarter first got into the spotlight. If you're at all interested in turn-based RPGs, buy this! Support the small devs and show that there's truly a market for this kind of thing. So far the developers have said that sales are OK so far. It'd be a shame if sales didn't end up great after all the wailing us turn-based gamers have been doing for years and years.

Agreed TiLT.  I think I am near the end of the first campaign, but am stuck and seem to be unable to get past a specific battle.  I will be curious to hear if you have any issues finishing it up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: