http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 10:15:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Valve holding Half Life 2 Hostage?  (Read 1147 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2004, 11:38:17 PM »

Now this is an odd article I found over at Gamespot:

In court filings dated August 27, 2004, VU Games' senior vice president and deputy general counsel Eric Roeder entered the following statement into the record.

"Valve has announced that it will deliver a release candidate version of Half-Life 2 (HL2) (a game required under the 2001 SPA) to Sierra/VUG within the next few weeks. If Valve delivers a release candidate version that complies with the contract and is a Final Milestone, then VUG will have six months to release the product under the 2001 SPA. Valve is pressing VUG to release the product early within that six month window, and its representatives have made a number of public statements without our consent or concurrence that the product will be published and released to the general public in September of this year."

The statement's implication is that VUG, angry with Valve's "public statements," could sit on Half-Life 2 for up to six months. But would VUG use this six-month window as leverage to force Valve to back down from demands contained in its original August 14, 2002 lawsuit?

Uh... That can't be good. Will it happen though? Good question.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 12:48:25 AM »

LOL

What a wonderful world.  Well at least it will force geeks to brush up on legal practices! smile

Beats me what to make of it really.  VU is just hurting themselves it seems, but I guess they must figure it is worth more to Valve to be able to get it on store shelves (and sold through Steam) than whatever concessions VU wants.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 12:43:42 AM »

Explain to me why exactly a company whose goal is to make money could possibly want to hold back a release of Half-Life 2?

They know that the day the game hits stores it's going to sell out. If they're afraid that Steam is going to steal their sales they're absolutely crazy.

What a stupid situation.

Of course, it doesn't really matter when the game comes out. I'm buying it regardless. If it's now, that's cool because I get to play it sooner. If it's in 6 months that's cool too because it's in that timeperiod that is likely to be a very slow one in the life of the current set of consoles, and I'm sure I'll need some good PC games to fill in the gap.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 12:47:57 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Explain to me why exactly a company whose goal is to make money could possibly want to hold back a release of Half-Life 2?

They know that the day the game hits stores it's going to sell out. If they're afraid that Steam is going to steal their sales they're absolutely crazy.

The thing is, Vivendi is the distributor of the game.  The games that are sold through Steam they don't get a cut out of.  They want to get the money for each copy sold.  That's why they don't want HL2 to be sold over HL2.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of all of this.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 04:27:11 AM »

It is a legit gripe on behalf of Vivendi, since they have funded some of the game's development. Valve is playing the James Dean Rebel Without a Cause part here, for no good reason. Time to find anew publisher-except Vivendi probably owns all of the Halflife IP rights.  Reminds me of the rights to Crash being taken away from Naughty Dog.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: