http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 03:45:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] SimCity impressions  (Read 9557 times)
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »

I'm Arnir1985, but I'm better known as "SimCity servers are down.  Attempting to reconnect."

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »

Don't be so negative.  You just need to read the marquee to see when things will be back up.

Spoiler for Hiden:
<parameter: string> GMT
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 09:07:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 06, 2013, 09:04:13 PM

Don't be so negative.  You just need to read the marquee to see when things will be back up.

Spoiler for Hiden:
<parameter: string> GMT

Marquee?  What marquee?  I'm probably missing something obvious.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:18 PM »

This thing:

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »

Ah.  I'm actually in the game where I am getting the server message.  I should have realized that I needed to exit the game to find out what was going on in the game. 

I did find last night that when it wouldn't let me claim a city I needed to fully exit the game and then come back in and it would work.

Right now my marquee says "Maxis."  I don't even get a parameter string.  crybaby

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »

Yeah everything is messed up right now...just exited out to the main menu after creating a region, getting my city up to about 2000 citizens...and there was no option to resume...it didn't save anything.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »

I knew beter than to pre-order, but I wanted it so much.  I am stuck again in checking for updates.  It let me in and then said network error and booted me out again.  When the rest of the world goes online I see an even worse disaster.   If they would let solo players like me play offline it might help with their server load.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »

I'm also curious as to know why game developers seem to want to force you to do the tutorial.  Don't they ever have to reinstall, etc?  I know I can go to the main menu when it starts, but it is a tad silly.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 10:02:58 PM »

Servers are back up.. but they released an update. So I'm now updating.

My Origin ID is PR_GMR and I uploaded a picture (dude holding up a Dos Equis beer wearing a red Tshirt that reads 'Chaos Reigns'). Add me. And let's get our own GT region going tonight.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:20:21 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »

What server do we want to roll this region on?

And yeah, I am stuck not able to update...sigh.

Any idea why origin friends aren't correctly showing in the game?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 06, 2013, 10:02:58 PM

My Origin ID is PR_GMR and I uploaded a picture (dude holding up a Dos Equis beer wearing a red Tshirt that reads 'Chaos Reigns'). Add me. And let's get our own GT region going tonight.

you should have gone with the topless photo biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2013, 11:17:18 PM »

Ok, I am able to get on the North America West 1, can't seem to get on to any others yet.  Creating a region there, hopefully I will figure out invites.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2013, 11:33:06 PM »

OK, I am at my wits end...I created a region, played a few minutes and then exited to the main menu to then send out invites...no luck because the region I created no longer existed it would seem.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:29 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 06, 2013, 11:33:06 PM

OK, I am at my wits end...I created a region, played a few minutes and then exited to the main menu to then send out invites...no luck because the region I created no longer existed it would seem.

Sometimes, I think, it takes a long while to sync saves, if they save at all.  Did you make sure you came back to the exact same server?  I think most of this is really just server overload problems.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »

After hearing all these problems think I'm gonna wait till they get there act together before I go purchase this.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 01:25:04 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on March 06, 2013, 11:39:29 PM

Sometimes, I think, it takes a long while to sync saves, if they save at all.  Did you make sure you came back to the exact same server?  I think most of this is really just server overload problems.

Yup, that was the issue.  The region is there, Cities of Gaming Trend, on North America West 1.  Once you are on that server, and if I have you on my friends list I can send out invites.  My Origin ID is arkon262.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 01:36:14 AM »

ah, looking back in time  icon_lol

http://kotaku.com/5915377/like-diablo-iii-sim-city-will-require-an-online-connection?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 01:53:38 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 07, 2013, 01:25:04 AM

Quote from: Arnir on March 06, 2013, 11:39:29 PM

Yup, that was the issue.  The region is there, Cities of Gaming Trend, on North America West 1.  Once you are on that server, and if I have you on my friends list I can send out invites.  My Origin ID is arkon262.

I'm on North America West 1 and can't find the region. Is it a private game? Add me: PR_GMR.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:20 AM »

I am trying to get folks invited, but the friends list in Sim City is wonky...I think you need to have actively played a city on the server for a bit before you show on the friends list.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2013, 02:26:51 AM »

This is a supposed fix if you're getting stuck on "Checking for Updates".  I tried it and it did get me past that error, but then I couldn't log in the rest of the way to see if it worked.  It's from the official twitter, but try at your own risk (and please post if it works for you!)

Checking for Updates Issue [ Edited ]
Options
‎03-06-2013 03:07 PM - edited ‎03-06-2013 04:26 PM

Hi Mayors --If you get stuck on "CHECKING FOR UPDATES" you should delete all files in your User Data.

If you have a desktop shortcut you can right click the icon and select PROPERTIES then delete all files in the User Data folder.
If you launch through Origin go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData and delete all files in the User Data folder.

Then run the game again and you should get past that screen.

Note: The recovery tool will not resolve this issue, so please use the directions above.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2013, 03:02:43 AM »

Tried to send out invites and the people were in my list but when I tried said it was unable to invite friends at this time, then when I went to start playing my city it just did nothing.  One friends can't get the tutorial to work and he's tried multiple times on all the servers.  

Go look at the reviews on Amaz...  it's about 1.5 stars.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2013, 03:10:18 AM »

Quote from: shon on March 07, 2013, 03:02:43 AM

One friends can't get the tutorial to work and he's tried multiple times on all the servers.  

yeah, having that issue trying to start up on Arkon's server.  couldn't they have flagged your account as having done the tutorial instead of making you fire it up on each server?

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2013, 03:48:20 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2013, 03:10:18 AM

One friends can't get the tutorial to work and he's tried multiple times on all the servers.  

yeah, having that issue trying to start up on Arkon's server.  couldn't they have flagged your account as having done the tutorial instead of making you fire it up on each server?

How did you even find the server?  I'm on West 1 but can't find any way to search at all other than clicking more until it decides not to give you any more...   It shows my friends list at 0 as well.  Awesome.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2013, 04:06:27 AM »

Since I've all but given up on finding my own damned region, I've decided to play the game I expected to be playing....

"Unable to create your city at this time, please claim a city again."

Man...so much fun.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2013, 04:07:45 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 07, 2013, 02:26:51 AM

This is a supposed fix if you're getting stuck on "Checking for Updates".  I tried it and it did get me past that error, but then I couldn't log in the rest of the way to see if it worked.  It's from the official twitter, but try at your own risk (and please post if it works for you!)

Checking for Updates Issue [ Edited ]
Options
‎03-06-2013 03:07 PM - edited ‎03-06-2013 04:26 PM

Hi Mayors --If you get stuck on "CHECKING FOR UPDATES" you should delete all files in your User Data.

If you have a desktop shortcut you can right click the icon and select PROPERTIES then delete all files in the User Data folder.
If you launch through Origin go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData and delete all files in the User Data folder.

Then run the game again and you should get past that screen.

Note: The recovery tool will not resolve this issue, so please use the directions above.

On the subject of bugs: There's gotta be a fix to the 'Tutorial Not Working' bug. Everytime I join a new server, I gotta play thru the tutorial, but it often doesn't work. And it doesn't matter how many times you restart it. You have to basically quit the game and re-join the server to make the tutorial work... but to have to replay the tutorial each time you join a server is just ludicrous.

Tonight, I've not gotten any play.. Due to downed servers and bugs. Again, this has been a horrific mishandled release by EA/Origin. They may have just killed the 'SimCity' franchise.. and that saddens me. I'm still gonna try and play in the coming weeks and hope they iron out the bugs.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2013, 04:09:27 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 07, 2013, 04:06:27 AM

Since I've all but given up on finding my own damned region, I've decided to play the game I expected to be playing....

"Unable to create your city at this time, please claim a city again."

Man...so much fun.

Yep. Another tremendously irritating bug. You can't even create your own region. It's next to impossible to claim a city. I just don't understand how they could have released the game in such a wonky state. I've a feeling this needed to be in the oven a few more months.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2013, 04:10:42 AM »

glad I held off on this, even with the pre-order deals and the rest.  I'll wait until the inevitable sale once the bugs are ironed out.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2013, 04:12:12 AM »

Even if I get into the game, I'm not sure I'd want to play.  Some people have lost hours of progress because the automatic cloud saving hasn't been reliable during all this server nuttiness.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2013, 04:35:39 AM »

I assume the reviews will point out these silly server issues?

Even when I can get back on, I can't always get back to the same server, so I can't get back to the town I was working on before being kicked off/logged off, etc. 
Sigh.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2013, 04:40:54 AM »

I have this game, but have not even booted it up once. I'm pretty would get    butthurt about the server issues.

Once everything gets sorted out I will join the official GT region

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2013, 04:52:30 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 07, 2013, 03:48:20 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2013, 03:10:18 AM

yeah, having that issue trying to start up on Arkon's server.  couldn't they have flagged your account as having done the tutorial instead of making you fire it up on each server?

How did you even find the server?  I'm on West 1 but can't find any way to search at all other than clicking more until it decides not to give you any more...   It shows my friends list at 0 as well.  Awesome.  :/

the server is West 1, but yeah, I didn't see the GT region listed either.

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2013, 05:09:04 AM »

It won't let me back on any server.  It says the system is down.  Or a network error.  It varies. 

This last town I was working on was getting interesting.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »

so, I got in, saw Arkon's invite and claimed Sawyers Hollow.  Spent about an hour building up the place, was earning a decent amount of simbucks per hour and had to take a break.  came back a bit later....

My city was gone.  vanished.  if I zoomed in close enough I might have seen CROATOAN carved into a tree trunk.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »

When I logged in this morning I didn't see any cities claimed yet.  I have invites out to PR_GMR, CeeKay, Arnir, TC Weidner and Wonderpug.  It looks like I can not see folks on my in game friends list until they have done the tutorial and played a bit on West 1, last night after PR_GMR did that he was able to see me in game and then this morning I could see him to send the invite.

EDIT:

Ignore any invites you currently have...something got screwed up with the region, creating a whole new region simply named Gaming Trend and will send new invites.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:20:28 AM by Arkon » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »

Oh joy, 7:21 AM Eastern and I am in a 20 minute queue to join the North America West 1 server...sigh.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2013, 09:20:35 AM

so, I got in, saw Arkon's invite and claimed Sawyers Hollow.  Spent about an hour building up the place, was earning a decent amount of simbucks per hour and had to take a break.  came back a bit later....

My city was gone.  vanished.  if I zoomed in close enough I might have seen CROATOAN carved into a tree trunk.

There was no train station?  There was no downtown?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 07, 2013, 12:22:30 PM

Oh joy, 7:21 AM Eastern and I am in a 20 minute queue to join the North America West 1 server...sigh.

FYI, it's not a queue.  It's just "I'll automatically try again in 20 minutes," but you can also just try to rejoin again whenever you want.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »

Amazingly, the system might actually be working now...invites have been sent to those who have friended me, on North America West 1.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »

Google doc filled with great tips
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »

So one thing I am finding is that it would seem I am growing too fast...my city is around 30,000 citizens, and I am not bringing in enough money to keep up with trying to cover power, water and sewage, let alone create jobs and then try to reconfigure to improve traffic flow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: