http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 01:40:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] SimCity impressions  (Read 8494 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »

In 24 hours, the new SimCity will finally be here. I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it. Please post impressions/screencaps here if you hop on to become a great Mayor. smile
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:00:48 AM »

And again, EA incompetency strikes again. What a fucking fail of a company!

As of 12:50am--50 minutes after Maxis announced the game was released on the US east coast--the game still isn't available for download in Origin. Hordes of pissed-off people, myself included, posting on Facebook. I'm about to go to bed, angry at having given EA my hard-earned money. Why.. why... why.. fucking why.. didn't they allow preloads?!! Really wish Steam would have been handling this.

mad mad mad
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »

4:45am. I'm up because I've to be up and early to on set. I check on Origin and the game is now available for download. Downloading...I see Origin sent the serial code email at 1:11am. It still makes me shake my head. I should be able to play when I come back home sometime today.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »

If you can log in.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »

Quote from: Reemul on March 05, 2013, 11:44:30 AM

If you can log in.

Yeah..  icon_lol
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:59:11 PM »

I think I'm holding off on this one... I liked the beta for what it was, but I just don't like the always on DRM for this particular title... This is the kind of game I'd load up on my laptop to mess around with on lunch or while driving places (as a passenger)... No stable Internet at either place....
Maybe if all the reviews are outstanding, but for now, I'm out...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »

If I didn't have to purchase through Origin, I'd buy SimCity V in a heartbeat.  I refuse to use that shitpile of a client though, so I'm out.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 05, 2013, 03:35:35 PM

If I didn't have to purchase through Origin, I'd buy SimCity V in a heartbeat.  I refuse to use that shitpile of a client though, so I'm out.

You don't have to purchase through Origin (but you do need to use the client to play).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »

Here's a bunch of neat visual aids on how various game mechanics work.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »

Always on connections killed any desire to purchase this game

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 05, 2013, 03:36:21 PM

Quote from: Gratch on March 05, 2013, 03:35:35 PM

You don't have to purchase through Origin (but you do need to use the client to play).

Yeah, that's what I meant.  After multiple ridiculous login and connectivity issues with Origin, I decided to never play another game that requires it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »

Yeah, Origin is a huge turnoff, as is the EA connection and the threat of Sims-style expansion pack overdosing.  I'm still super excited for my copy to arrive, though.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 05, 2013, 05:04:14 PM

Yeah, Origin is a huge turnoff, as is the EA connection and the threat of Sims-style expansion pack overdosing.  I'm still super excited for my copy to arrive, though.

Do you hate Steam as well?  It's the same damn thing.  I don't understand the hatred.  They both do their jobs.  Steam has had problems with unlocking games as well.  It's the reality of PC games these days. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 05, 2013, 05:58:52 PM

Do you hate Steam as well?  It's the same damn thing.  I don't understand the hatred.  They both do their jobs.  Steam has had problems with unlocking games as well.  It's the reality of PC games these days. 

I love Steam, which is why I hate that this is on Origin.  I want all my games on Steam.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »

I've never had a single problem with Steam, and have purchased over 150 games through their service.

I've purchased three games through Origin, and have had major issues (login, connectivity, downloading, patching, etc.) with all three of them.

Steam is great, Origin blows.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »

Do you hate Steam as well?  It's the same damn thing.  I don't understand the hatred.  They both do their jobs.  Steam has had problems with unlocking games as well.  It's the reality of PC games these days.  

I can tell you what the difference is for me.  Origin, even though I have it checked to start up on boot up (which I don't even reboot very often), has a way of just disappearing and suddenly not be running.  It's a poorly made application compared to Steam (which I never have any issues with) and I have finally gotten frustrated enough with it that I no longer want to bother with it.

It always seems to disappear when there is an update to it, I guess, but why not let me know the update is around and choose to install it when I want instead of quitting out of the app and having to have me notice it disappeared to know there was an update?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 10:51:07 PM »

bought the retail version (couldn't pass up 20 bucks in Amazon credit).  got it, installed it, patched up and started playing through that damned tutorial just fine.  I wish they had made it skippable; thankfully it's short.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 10:54:52 PM »

Impressions:

This is just from playing the tutorial, approximately one hour of gameplay. The game looks very pretty. The Glassbox engine runs smoothly and makes everything look miniaturized. I didn't notice any stutter/frame-rate drop until I got to the 2nd city of the tutorial, Lucky Shores, which had a higher populations. My computer is running WinXP still w/ an AMD 5000+ chip and an Nvidia Geforce card which I updated a year ago. Settings were in medium. Guess I'll have to turn those down to have the game run more smoothly with higher populations.

Music is neato. Presentation is smooth and tutorial was easy to follow.

My brain is very sleep deprive though.. so I'm gonna get a couple of hours of sleep before starting on my own city from scratch. Lastly, I had no problem joining a server. North America East Coast 2 was available. Only two other servers were Busy.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 05, 2013, 10:51:07 PM

started playing through that damned tutorial just fine.  I wish they had made it skippable; thankfully it's short.

I was able to skip it by starting into it and immediately quitting to the main menu.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 11:52:05 PM »

my only complaint so far is the sim citizens animation seems to run a bit too fast.  the protesters in the tutorial looked like they were doing the Harlem Shake.

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 01:15:38 AM »

Played about 2 hours by joining a public region in Oceanic server. Didn't get to try the region play because the other players are mostly inactive or maybe I just didn't know how to interact with them.

Can't offer any services to the "active" players because there is an abandoned city between my city and them.

Without the region play, this is just like a smaller Simcity 4 where you have to build everything that your city need. I think it'll be more fun if a bunch of us get together and split role so that we each start a city that focus on something that the other cities need.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 01:31:09 AM »

I think some services can only be shared once you get certain upgrades to your town hall or certain service buildings.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 06:35:42 AM »

What a piece of shit of a game. I'm just astounded as how awful this release has been. I can't claim a city online, nor can I play one solo off the net. The game crashed on me once.. and now it's prompting me to replay the tutorial.. Except, the tutorial won't even work. If I could actually cry, I would as to how frustrated I feel with EA and their catastrophic decisions. I'm going to bed again.. tremendously unsatisfied.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 06:52:08 AM »

Highlight of my night. This made me laugh!  icon_lol

EA in a nutshell.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »

Things are looking up. Woke up this morning and the servers were up and not full. I was able to login, join the North America East Coast 1 server, skip the tutorial, and start a city in a region with two other players in it. Game ran smooth for an hour before the servers were down again.

When you can connect, and the game runs smooth, it's a pleasure. So far, my small city has a couple of hundred folks in it. Gonna keep playing and growing it.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »

I just started up a region for GT, my origin name is arkon262, hit me up with a friend invite and I can add you to the region if you would like to join in.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 06, 2013, 04:57:57 PM

I just started up a region for GT, my origin name is arkon262, hit me up with a friend invite and I can add you to the region if you would like to join in.

Friend invite sent.  What server are you on, East 1?
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 06, 2013, 03:31:24 PM

Game ran smooth for an hour before the servers were down again.
and this is why i'm holding off... While the MP sounds interesting, I don't usually have time for that... and if i can't play my SP game when I want to, it's a no go... i don't always have a lot of time to play, so trying to play SP and finding out I can't because their server was down, would piss me off...
Maybe if they get to 100% up time, I might reconsider, but I'm not sure even then... It's  shame, because when it worked, I liked the beta.. just not enough to put up with the DRM.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 05:33:25 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 06, 2013, 05:03:24 PM

West 1 actually, despite being on the east coast, it was the first I could get in to.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 06, 2013, 05:33:25 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 06, 2013, 05:03:24 PM

West 1 actually, despite being on the east coast, it was the first I could get in to.

Any one works for me, but unless we log onto the same one I don't think the region invites will work.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 06, 2013, 05:44:37 PM

Any one works for me, but unless we log onto the same one I don't think the region invites will work.

Just checked again, can't get on to the east servers.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:28 PM »

It boggles my mind that some NA servers are at capacity at this time of day.  Spring break, I guess?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »

Some fixes going in today:

Quote from: some official guy
We are working hard to resolve a problem that is at the heart of the issues which some players have reported.
Namely:
Trading not working consistently
Unable to load/claim city errors
Getting stuck in a loop in the tutorial

To that end we are currently rolling out a server update which we believe will improve performance considerably. This will involve restarts over the next 4-5 hours across all of our current severs. Minor player impact may occur, such as trading not working consistently and the region wall not working occasionally.

We appreciate your continued patience and support while this fix is being deployed.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »

Not sure if this is related at all, but I can't seem to play now for more than 10-15 minutes without the game crashing...played for 3 hours this morning no problem.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 06:59:47 PM »

Just played for a couple of hours. Got a nice city going up to 500 pop before servers were taken down again. I was in a region with a few other players, but there wasn't any interaction. Arkon and Wondepug, what server are you guys going to be playing in? I can start another city in your region later today. Username: prgmr.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »

I'm happy with either East or West (though I think we have more forumers eastward), but I'd prefer we pick one with the highest # available to minimize server waits.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 06, 2013, 06:59:47 PM

Username: prgmr.

Did you mean to put an underscore in there?  prgmr without the underscore turns up a number of people who don't look like you
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »

I've *finally* cleared my plate to review this.  I'll be joining your region this evening.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 06, 2013, 07:08:48 PM

I'm happy with either East or West (though I think we have more forumers eastward), but I'd prefer we pick one with the highest # available to minimize server waits.

Ok will see if I can get in a create a region on the east servers.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »

I think I already have a bunch of you on my friends list for Origin.  I'm in there as OriginalCeeKay.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: