http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 09:22:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Rogue Legacy  (Read 254 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2013, 01:55:12 AM »

I thought we had a thread on this, but it seems like the discussions were all spread out.  so here we go!!!

anyways, picked this up over the weekend, and while I'm having fun the game is starting to tick me off. 

Liking
the different traits, but some of them don't seem to do anything.  Savant? Tunnel Vision? it doesn't seem like those do anything except add flavor text to the character choice.
keyboard controls aren't as bad as I found them when playing the demo.  not sure why.

Annoyances

I never find food when I need it, but when I don't it drops from everything. 
Any time I get a miner descendant the opening rooms of the castle are so crazy I don't get far at all (seriously, my miners have gotten the lowest gold counts out of any other class).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:03:01 AM »

I play it while listening to podcasts, right now I'm at level 380 with most of the skills max'ed out.  I really got my moneys worth with this one.  I thnk I will try to max all the skills out as I can get over 50k gold on a decent run in new game+ and have just unlocked the end boss again.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:13 AM »

Pretty sure tunnel vision removes the off screen notice for projectiles.  Not sure about savant.

I had a ton of fun with this one while playing it but after finishing it once I have no interest in going back.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:25:49 AM »

This was neat but I found the basic jumping and combat mechanics a bit weak.  I thought that Super House of Dead Ninjas did rogue-like platforming with upgrades similar with much better mechanics.

I was also disappointed that the much ballyhooed ancestry isn't an actual genetic tree, it's just random selection every time.  I would have liked to see 2 choices that were based solely on your past ancestors and maybe 1 random.

All in all, I didn't spend too much time with it and thought it was another overhyped indie game.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:39:22 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 17, 2013, 03:25:49 AM

This was neat but I found the basic jumping and combat mechanics a bit weak.

This, combined with high damage enemies and limited ability to regain health, is making it really hard for me to really like this game.  I'm not opposed to high difficulty platformers, but if you're going to make it so unforgiving that the player basically has to never get hit, you better have tight and reliable controls.

I'm also disappointed in the way the ancestry thing works.  It sold me on the game, but it's the least interesting part (aside from a chuckle the first time you try each bad trait).  What I really like is the building of the home base manor as well as your collection of equipment.  Roguelike meets Castlevania is a nifty concept on its own; I wish they focused more on that and less on the gimmick.

I'm still kinda having fun, but I'm not sure how much more I'm gonna last.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:07:56 AM »

The platforming is pretty dependent on the runes you take.  You get things like double jump and the ability to charge midair which greatly improve your ability to get around.  The game is really based around the fact that you are supposed to be terrible early on.  Run in, grab as much loot as you can, die and then upgrade.  The only time I would really bother to be careful is if I was going after a boss, in which case the lock down ability was essential.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »

Oh, does a boss kill persist from character to character?  I assumed they'd reset along with the rest of the castle.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »

Bosses stay dead.   Also, the room leading to their lair is locked, so you can't farm them.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: