http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 10:09:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Reus  (Read 553 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:51:37 AM »

I don't know if anyone has heard of ReusHere is the GoG link.  It looks to be somewhat in the vein of Populous only you control world shaping Giants.  The video claims it's releasing on Gog, Steam, Desura, and Gamersgate tomorrow.  I couldn't find a Steam listing.  Gamersgate has it coming soon for $10 requiring a steam activation.  I might take the plunge and post impressions if it shows up on Steam, but I'm questioning the release date if it requires steam activation and doesn't have a listing. 

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 05:23:33 AM »

I heard about this on a podcast but forgot the name until now.

Apparently, it's a very good game in the vein of Black and White, but with way better and more interesting mechanics.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:47:44 PM »

grabbed this and played a bit through 2 of the 3 tutorials.  not to bad, but I wish there was a way to speed time up.  it's not a big issue but it'd be nice to be able to fast forward when you're waiting for a counter to fill up.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:22:03 AM »

Seems interesting.  A lot of the early impressions on Steam imply that itís more of a puzzle game than a god sim though.  Might pick it up after some later game impressions show up.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »

RPS had a good write up on this, going to pick it up tonight as it looks pretty good. Almost seems lie, it would be most at home on the iPad.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 02:24:35 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on May 17, 2013, 11:48:07 AM

RPS had a good write up on this, going to pick it up tonight as it looks pretty good. Almost seems lie, it would be most at home on the iPad.

then they could charge for trees, water, and rocks through in app purchases!   WOO!

The ipad, sadly, has become a wretched land of gimmick in app purchase play games.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:33:13 PM »

It's also become a fantastic source of boardgame ports.  With the recent release of Eclipse, the iPad even has an amazingly good Master of Orion type game.  Are there games like those you say?  Of course.  All mobile games will have that.  It's just the state of the world.  But DLC is a fact of life on consoles AND PC so you should just say ALL platforms have this problem.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 17, 2013, 02:33:13 PM

It's also become a fantastic source of boardgame ports.  With the recent release of Eclipse, the iPad even has an amazingly good Master of Orion type game.  Are there games like those you say?  Of course.  All mobile games will have that.  It's just the state of the world.  But DLC is a fact of life on consoles AND PC so you should just say ALL platforms have this problem.

the iPad has evolved into a great board game platform.   You are totally right.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 04:01:55 PM »

Just watched this game's trailers on Steam. This game is cute as hell! Only 9 bucks until May 23rd. I might just pull the trigger.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »

The gameplay video looked interesting enough to get me to bite on this sale.  I'll try and get some impressions up soon.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »

Itís fun; just realize that it really is more of a tile based puzzle game than a god game.

The gameplay consists around building the most efficient layout of resources possible for the current biome your villagers settled in.  Every resource has some other type of resource that it reacts with to improve productivity so you are often stuck reorganizing your layout to squeeze out a few more points every time a resource levels up.

Early on you are limited to 30 minute games but as you earn achievements you unlock 60 minute and longer game modes as well as new animals and plants.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »

Game seems ok.  The tutorial had me really excited but now that I'm in the normal gameplay sandbox I'm finding myself a little lost.  Lordnine is spot on that it doesn't really feel like a god game.  Instead of "I'll stick a swamp here and see what happens," I'm thinking "ok, this village says it needs more food, so I guess I'll build a strawberry bush next to a blueberry bush to get the synergy bonus, and then stick a whatchamathing next to the blueberry to get that other synergy bonus..."

There may be some more compelling gameplay elements to be found but they don't seem clearly explained.  I'm warned that my villages may get greedy and start attacking other villages if they grow too fast, but I can't understand how to tell what my village growth rate and if its good or bad. 

If my villagers do start attacking other villages, the tutorial tells me I'm supposed to just kill them all with an earthquake or something.  I'd much rather be able to see little power struggles rise and fall between the villages and exert my will as I see fit.

I'm also finding issues with how the game presents information.  Made up example: If I know I want to develop a regions research, I may need to grab my ocean giant to plant turmeric (why that giant? why that plant?), bring my mountain giant for a particular upgrade (why him?), but first he has to pick up a village elder from a forest village (why?), and then my swamp giant can boost the turmeric's output by creating a titmouse habitat one tile over (huh?)

I made up specifics, but that's the gist of how I feel as I click around between every single giant to try and comprehend what I'm supposed to be doing and why.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »

To become efficient in the game you need to memorize a lot of information otherwise you do spend an awful lot of time reading tooltips.  

Here are some pointers.

Greed
Greed is generated when you help a village too much, meaning they have a lot more of a resource than they can currently use.  If the resource is 20 more than you currently can use you will generate 1 greedy red face in your city panel.  You can offset this with either resources that generate Awe or animals that are hostile. If you have more red faces than blue the village will attack a neighbor.  If it gets high enough the villagers will attack your giants.

You donít need to destroy a village if they turn violent.  The swamp giants attack is great for destroying armies without hurting the village.  Alternately, you can use dangerous animals to prevent a village from growing too big too fast.

Resources
Resources are broken into three categories; minerals, plants and animals.   Minerals give you either Tech or Wealth.  Animals and Plants can give you Wealth, Food or Tech.  

Pay close attention to the range of a resource when you put it down (shown below the resource).  Animals in particular tend to have a long range which can add bonuses to many tiles.  

You upgrade resources through giant abilities that are earned via completing special projects for villages.  Always make sure to look what an upgrade will do before using it.  While most upgrades are better some change the resource that is generated, which may hurt you in the long run.

You also have buffs that you can put on resources. (leaf, fruit, toxic, heard, predator etc.)  Level 1 resources only hold one buff but you will get more later on.  These buffs stack so donít be afraid to use or mix and match them.

Upgrades
Every so often a village will try to build a special building.  Not only do these buildings generate special buffs and resources but if you finish one you can add a new ability to 1 giant via a village ambassador.  Note that if you donít like the project a village is building you can use your swamp giant to destroy it without penalty.

You must have 1 ambassador for each giant before you are allowed to take a 2nd.

Each ambassador will do something different for each giant, make sure to hover over the ambassador before picking him up to make sure it will give abilities you want.  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:28:47 PM by Lordnine » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »

Ok, this is growing on me.  Your tips helped a lot.  Now the main thing I think is missing is a robust and informative tech tree. 

Is there someplace on the screen where it shows how much time I have left in the session?  And is there a way to end a game session (era) early? 
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »

Yeah, the top bar on the left tells you how long you have left.  When the bar fills your giants will start to fall asleep, shortly after the era ends.

The bar underneath that one fills as your prosperity grows. Every time that bar fills a new settler will appear on the map, if you have made an empty resource rich spot somewhere he will seek it out and build a new city.

I donít think you can end an era early.  You donít really have a reason to though as you can unlock more upgrades than just the three it shows per era.

An in game viewable tech tree would be really nice.  I generally know what turns into what now but I still screw up sometimes when planning upgrades, especially desert plants which donít make a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:42:01 PM by Lordnine » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: