http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 10:04:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny being remade  (Read 922 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »

this just popped up on Steam:

Developed by Austrian developer Crafty Games, Realms of Arkania Blade of Destiny is a one-to-one remake of the 1992 original, adored by a generation of Role Players and one of the most successful German RPGs of the 1990s.

I've got the classic version on GOG, but if they don't screw up this remake I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »

This looks interesting. I hope its good.  I'd like some old school rpging.

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »

I can barely remember this game.  Someone remake games I remember like Betrayal at Krondor or something Tongue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »

The reason you never heard much about it is because it was based on a German P'n'P RPG named Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye.) That tabletop system is the most popular RPG in Germany and still dwarfs D&D or anything else there in sales. Originally Realms of Arkania 1 (Blade of Destiny) wasn't even supposed to be released in English, but a NA publisher picked it up due to it's runaway success in Germany.

The only thing that has me concerned about this is that they're stating its a 1-1 translation, which had me concerned because the Realms of Arkania games are damn tough. I would have preferred they tone down the difficulty a bit, but I'll still buy this mostly because it was a videogame that did P'n'P's justice. And hell yes, Betrayal at Krondor is another RPG that fully deserves an update!  slywink
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:50:20 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 06:17:30 AM »

well, it's out, and from reading the Steam forums they accidentally released the German version icon_lol

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2013, 06:17:30 AM

well, it's out, and from reading the Steam forums they accidentally released the German version icon_lol

lol  Good thing I held off until a few impressions/reviews were in.   icon_biggrin
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »

From a few posts I've read it sounds like the game was released in a less than finished state. It's system requirements are apparently very steep for a game of its graphic quality. Definitely going to take a wait-&-see on this one. Maybe check back in a few months.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »

Do not, under ANY circumstances, buy this game in its current state. it is so bad I'm afraid it may open a portal into another dimension and release squid overlords into our realm if too many people sacrifice themselves to the horrors of this title.

I wish I was joking....
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »

Are they saying there are the same issues for the Steam version as the German? One of the company employees posted that the German version is seeing issues due to the patcher was not downloading all the files or something like for that version but the Steam version shouldn't have those issues.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 02:53:40 AM »

Hehe...this videogame is having about as much success as The Dark Eye P'n'P RPG had with its N.A. debut, which in no short terms was a complete train wreck. Oh well...guess the good old Das Schwarze Auge is going to remain a German only phenomena.   icon_confused
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 02:59:33 AM »

I thought the first Drakensang game did well outside of Germany.  I'm pretty sure the sequel tanked though.  still, The Dark Eye: Demonicon is due out sometime this year.  the catch is that it is going to be an action RPG....

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2013, 02:59:33 AM

I thought the first Drakensang game did well outside of Germany.  I'm pretty sure the sequel tanked though.

My bad - I was forgetting about the more recent Drakensang games. I only played the sequel -Drakensng The River of Time- which actually got better reviews than the 2009 Drakensang game. The sequel was a good game and a decent implementation of the Das Schwarze Auge 4th Ed. rules. I should probably just get the 09 game instead of waiting for BoD to get patched to a playable state.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 02:44:36 AM »

I put 11 minutes in to it and was laughing almost the entire time. Wow its hilariously under polished. The NPCs stand around swinging their arms in sync and their mouths wide open like they've seen something that completely dumbfounded them. Other models are hideously skinny to give a creepy vibe. Textures vanish on NPCs from time-to-time. I walked up to this one fella standing near a doorway and when I got a bit close he vanished except for his scraggly beard and big hat which floated in the air. Then the voice acting is sooo awful. The guy is trying really hard to read the material with feeling but it just does a piss poor job of it that its hilariously bad to listen to. Oddly some text has audio but others don't.

I spent most of my 5 of those 11 minutes trying to level up a character. I was stuck on the first screen where you put in your points. I couldn't exit out of the screen, call up the menu, or do anything. Then I finally figured out after I add a point to a stat I had to remove a point from another one. Once I did that I was able to move on to the other level up pages for the character.

So yeah, don't buy this one at this point.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »

did they fix this yet?  Gamersgate has it up for $5, but if this game got released and abandoned I'll just skip it.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:17:51 PM »

I was wondering the same thing. I checked the Steam forums about two weeks ago and it sounds like there are a lot of bugs in it. People were posting it is "broken" still but Steam commenters tend to over exaggerate. But given how bad this was to start off I bet its still pretty stinky. I'd just save the $5.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 03:35:21 AM »

I noticed another Arkania game on Steam the other day that IIRC was early access. Wish I could remember the title, but I don't.  icon_confused
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:37:50 AM by kronovan » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »

The game is available in a bundle with 8 other games at Bundle Stars for $3.49.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: