http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:15:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Massive Chalice  (Read 360 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »

new Double Fine kickstarter!  this time it's a tactical strategy PC game in an epic fantasy timeline.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 06:41:26 PM »

Iím interested but their presentation, video aside, is a bit weak.  I want to see gameplay and a look at what the game will actually look like.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:05:36 PM »

I really love Double Fine so I have to support this, but I can't say I'm all that excited about a tactical fantasy game.  Hopefully the bloodlines thing works out to be really interesting.

Quote from: Lordnine on May 30, 2013, 06:41:26 PM

Iím interested but their presentation, video aside, is a bit weak.  I want to see gameplay and a look at what the game will actually look like.

Yeah, it seems they're banking entirely on the company's past work and basically nothing has been done on the project up to this point.  They are doing another documentary about it, so I suppose that has to capture the development of the game from the very start.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »

I posted a similar comment on OO, but basically, Double Fine hasn't proven itself capable of handling strategy.

They have only one basic game that handles it well, Costume Quest, but it's simplistic enough that anyone could have done that.

Their last big effort was, strangely enough, Brutal Legend, but that game tried to ape so many different things that no part of that game, besides the humor, ever excelled.

Seems like they're aping Fire Emblem a bit in this new game. Who knows, maybe if they just straight up copy more effective gameplay designs, and also focus on fewer gameplay elements they can produce something that keeps their distinctive humor and flare, while also being a good strategy game.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 30, 2013, 10:32:20 PM

I posted a similar comment on OO, but basically, Double Fine hasn't proven itself capable of handling strategy.

I haven't played it myself, but Iron Brigade was well-received (82 Metacritic score) and its lead designer is also the lead on Massive Chalice.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »

Iím not sure I would really call Iron Brigade a strategy game.  You had towers but your mechs tended to do the real work.  I finished that one and never felt like it mattered where I put my towers as long as I had them somewhere.  Iím also not sure how Costume Quest could be considered a strategy game either unless I just didnít play long enough to see it.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 04:13:09 AM »

So this Kickstarter is closing tomorrow.  They've reached their funding goal, but aren't going to set any records.  I'm backing it because I try to support as many strategy games as I can.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: