http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 05:38:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Gauntlet  (Read 1353 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvNxItMCK1w

Arrowhead Games sure are busy, both this and Helldivers (seriously go check that out!) are due out this year.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:57:58 PM »

Looks good, but I think I'd be more excited if there weren't already 100 other hack 'n slash, Action RPGs and rogue-likes around these days.  You can't swing a dead elf without a new one coming along it seems.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 17, 2014, 07:57:58 PM

Looks good, but I think I'd be more excited if there weren't already 100 other hack 'n slash, Action RPGs and rogue-likes around these days.  You can't swing a dead elf without a new one coming along it seems.

Well, maybe you should have kept him fed...

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »

It's true there's a cool glut but I haven't at all found Diablo III, Torchlight II, Van Helsing and Grim Dawn (early access), for example, to play precisely the same. No more than the 193 first person shooters on the market are "all the same thing." You can have similar gameplay mechanics but entirely different designs on loot, skill trees or lack thereof, enemy spawning, crafting questing, etc.  icon_smile I dunno if a Gauntlet type game would have much of any of that, actually.

I can't quite tell from the vid if it's a click to move/kill type of game now (per Diablo), or something more like Shadowgrounds, Alien Swarm etc. (keys to move, mousing to aim etc.). Magicka had an unconventional control scheme I never quite got comfortable with, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Couple of my Steam co-op buds who refuse to have anything to do with consoles/handhelds, might at least be keen on this.  icon_smile

Arrowhead would seem to be a natural to do something with the Robotron property later on. They're not a big dev though and I assume Helldivers and Gauntlet are plenty to keep them busy for now.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:22:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »

They had a food truck distributing free turkey legs and apples at this week's GDC show.  icon_smile

https://twitter.com/playgauntlet/status/446023433109790720/photo/1
The @playgauntlet food truck handing out free turkey legs and apples at #GDC2014 will be back today!

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:21:44 PM »

i loved gauntlet, though I have not so fond memories of playing it with my sister at IU and she'd move like she's going to go down the stairs so I'd go down, then she'd continue playing the level for another 5 minutes or so without me.  bitch. slywink

You guys wondered where I got my griefing skills from, there ya go.
paulstraytalker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:25:55 PM »

Gauntlet... Hard but fun., Especially, with friends..

icon_wink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 04:13:39 AM »

Gamereactor visited with Arrowhead Studios to chat specifically about the Gauntlet reboot. The headline made me cackle.  icon_razz

Gauntlet: Tingling Your Ass Like It's 1985
Magicka developers Arrowhead Game Studios got typecast in a dream gig as they re-imagine the classic Gauntlet.
http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/117544/Gauntlet%3A+Tingling+Your+Ass+Like+It%27s+1985/?sid=76ee736df167c27355da934d1590610c
One of the most important design principles of Gauntlet was the introduction of four distinct player classes. This is something that Arrowhead has really taken to heart, and not only do the classes have different strengths and weaknesses; the mechanics themselves are different.

The Elf for instance, one of two ranged characters, controls like a twin-stick shooter, where you move with one stick and shoot with the other. Like the original and unlike its sequel, the new Gauntlet doesn't allow for multiple characters of the same class.

There is the Warrior and the Valkyrie for close quarter, where the Valkyrie has a shield block that allows for a different play-style compared to the more standard tank stylings of the Warrior.

The Wizard wasn't properly tuned in the build we sampled so the developer took charge of that character.

What is easy to see right from the first room is that the game has been designed to favour player skill. There's no automatic lock on that will aid you on your quest as an Elf, you really have to send out those arrows and abilities in the right direction.
If you're familiar with Magicka you're probably wondering about friendly fire. And this is something that the team played around with a lot before settling on just allowing for shoving rather than full on friendly fire. It simply got more frustrating than fun. But they're leaving the door open for a hardcore mode with full-on friendly fire. And of course, the Elf can always "accidentally" shoot that piece of meat that the Warrior so dearly desires.

One addition to the concept are Relics. In the demo we played there were two relics that you were able to pick up. These relics add a new ability, such as boots that will make you run faster or an area of effect ice attack. The idea in the full game is that players will unlock these and customise their build ahead of each level; an interesting idea that has far reaching effects. A faster Valkyrie becomes a very different kind of class, capable of strong lunging attacks, but also nimble on its feet, while the ice attack that affects an area around is a better fit for a tank build. Just how many options and how much effect these will eventually have on the classes and their balance remains to be seen, but it's certainly something that adds a modern flavour to the experience.

The structure of the game has changed during development. At first they wanted to make an entirely procedurally generated game with random rooms and dungeons throughout, but as the team puts it that was "simply no fun to play". Instead there will be designed "adventure levels" with more elaborated design and better pacing in-between the procedurally generated levels and boss levels.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
paulstraytalker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:22 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 17, 2014, 07:57:58 PM

One can say that for just about every game(just about). Every now and then gamers get hypnotized by playing video games.  It's like driving on the road to long. After awhile it's like your playing the very first road you turned on..  Then your next stop.... The twilight zone.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 19, 2014, 06:19:36 PM

I can't quite tell from the vid if it's a click to move/kill type of game now (per Diablo), or something more like Shadowgrounds, Alien Swarm etc. (keys to move, mousing to aim etc.). Magicka had an unconventional control scheme I never quite got comfortable with, so I'm not sure what to expect.

and another: Realms of Ancient War uses the gamepad and it works very well.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »

fwiw, got bumped back from Sept. 3 to Sept. 23 for more time to balance the co-op:

Gauntlet release slightly pushed [from Sept. 3 to Sept. 23]
http://arrowheadgamestudios.com/gauntlet-release-slightly-pushed/
We’re sorry we have to inform you that the release date of Gauntlet has been moved from September 3rd to September 23rd, but also happy that this will allow us to bring you the best possible Gauntlet experience. The reason for the move is to give a little more time to fine-tuning the multiplayer part of the game, and we felt it was necessary.

We know you are waiting eagerly and here are three treats to keep you going just a little bit longer.

A new walkthrough video giving an in-depth look into the game modes, heroes, relics and gear: Gauntlet Gameplay Walkthrough Trailer.

A Thank You to everyone who pre-ordered the game with a special in-game bonus item: The Spawn of Kerthull, a Wizard’s robe made from dead imps, who are the spawn of the greater demon Kerthull.

Starting next week, over at the Gauntlet facebook page, there will be 10 consecutive days of caption contests! Every day you will have your chance to win a copy of Gauntlet by captioning and sharing a screenshot found on the page.
Gameplay Walkthrough's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLm8D4f8njo

*The loadout screen at the 2:16 mark is interesting. While it's no loot-fest ARPG, seems to have at least a little bit of variety in equipment items/relics.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 05:55:19 AM »

Next Tuesday. A Steam pal gifted it - I got him Grim Dawn in return.  icon_smile Maybe see some of ya in there next week.

Really sounds like a blast and I've only seen or read rave things from those who played it, was a big hit at PAX Prime as a contest game.

Few tidbits:
-4 players are not required, and I've seen some entertaining footage of folks playing it solo or with 2 or 3 players.
-Since all the footage has been local co-op afik, not really clear on the online play. Not sure if it's game browser, auto-matching, etc.

-While all footage to date has been via XBox 360 controller, folks who have played it confirmed it's w,a,s,d keys and mouse for keyboard/mouse users.
-Apparently some folks are displeased with how the game uses the right control stick on the controller vs. how some other arcade shooter type games work.

Gamespot guys are pretty um annoying but they posted a pretty cool gameplay vid from the 2nd level (or, 2nd door, whatever it is?):

Four Player Gauntlet - The Lobby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvKlWgjXzY
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:19:17 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »

Hmm. Not worth $20 IMHO. Maybe when it goes on sale for closer to $5.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 05:05:06 PM »

They're doling out preview copies everywhere (every news site, blog, podcaster, etc.), have yet to hear anything but raves on it. Was hoping one of the GT staffers would ask Arrowhead for a copy and give us some impressions?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:06:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 12:57:04 AM »

Well, if $20 was too much you can get 25% off at GMG with the code 9I47I9-ZOM38L-ZGV9KW (also available on other coming soon titles).  smile
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:59:37 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »

I tracked down a video mentioned on official Gauntlet Twitter feed that finally gives at least a peek at the mouse/keyboard controls, and got a screen capture of it. It's gonna be challenging with Wizard cause you're effectively clacking keys 1, 2 and 3 in various combinations to use his 9 spells. Elf should be simplest to use, more like Robotron or something.  icon_smile

CONTROL SCHEME, text-wise:

MOVE = W, A, S, D

USE POTION= SPACEBAR

BUY/RESURRECT = E key
=============

WARRIOR ACTIONS:
SLASH = Tap LMB (Left Mouse Button)
CLEAVE = TAP LMB 3X
WHIRLWIND = HOLD LMB

CHARGE/BASH/RIDE BIG MONSTER = RMB
===============

ELF ACTIONS:
SHOOT = Tap LMB
CHARGED SHOT = Hold LMB

TUMBLE/VAULT = RMB
*The Control Scheme menu glimpsed didn't list anything for Elf dropping bombs.
No, I don't know what "Ride Big Monster" refers to either, sounds fun doesn't it?  icon_twisted

Some of these have cooldowns so you can't just whirlwind 100% of the time.
================

Finally saw a screenshot of an online session lobby. Has button to invite Steam friends into a game; Private (invited Steam friends only), or Public (anyone can join) options; and a kick button.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:28:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »

Totally awesome co-op fun. If not without caveats and some technical issues.  icon_smile

And I don't really grasp a PC only game that doesn't have configurable keyboard controls (promised in an early patch) and provides no in-game communication beyond a few random audio emotes (via cursor keys).

That said, I switched to my gamepad to keep my wrist and forearms from pain, and to not break another Logitech keyboard from excessive pounding.  icon_razz

The "potions" aren't well explained enough in the game imho. They are basically "fuel" you need in order to use Relic powers (can equip 2; use Q and E keys, or L and R buttons on a controller). So if you don't have at least one "fuel" potion, you can't use the Relic powers at all.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:59:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »

While a lot of us are having a blast with this, and it's for now the #1 selling game on Steam, it was definitely half baked in many serious ways. They just posted the first patch, which fixes a lot of problems.

Keybinding isn't in yet, they're working on it they say. In-game text chat still not in.

[Official] Patch goes live now! See for notes
http://steamcommunity.com/app/258970/discussions/0/613937306628657019/
Thank you for your feedback on Gauntlet so far! We have listened and worked hard on a patch which will go live now. Please find the patch notes below. In addition to these changes we are hard at work on additional fixes that will go live soon including the ability to remap key bindings. More on this soon!

- The Game will launch in English when Steam library is set to English.

- Merlin’s shield will no longer occasionally Crash the game when attacked by Demon Horrors

- Heroes will now be able to use projectiles over jumping pad gaps.

- Player will now respawn appropriately while near Treasure Island in Temple of Dur.

- Game will now recognize internet connection even if Title is launched while offline.

- Alien FX will behave correctly when Playing Gauntlet on Alienware PC’s

- Player is now able to Highlight Message of the Day with Gamepad Controller.

- The description of the masteries in the "Next Level" column will show prerequisites for all Mastery Levels.

- Masteries Tally Screen no longer shows progression of ‘Locked’ Masteries

- The Sniper Shot indicator behaves correctly when aiming towards the Beast of Orox.

- Resolved some typos in the Credits

- The Warrior can now correctly destroy all Food on Tables in Caverns of Mag’Ash and Burning Temple of Dur

- The Perk Descriptions match required amounts needed in All Languages.

- The description of "Matamomias" Perk lists is correct in Latin American Spanish.
As an old fart (49) I can say the difference between using mouse/keys and controller is my wrists and forearms hurt after playing for hours with mouse/keys; after hours on controller I just have hand cramps.  smirk
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:48:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »

I only got to try it out a few minutes last night but I really liked what I saw.  Keyboard controls were a pain though so I'm going to look into using a controller.  Really feel like this would be better on a console.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 25, 2014, 11:22:38 PM

I only got to try it out a few minutes last night but I really liked what I saw.  Keyboard controls were a pain though so I'm going to look into using a controller.  Really feel like this would be better on a console.
Look me up on Steam if you want to do some co-op (I think I'm BlackjackGT there).

Console controller is easier on my tendons and bones.  icon_smile And the Wizard combos are easier to understand than on keyboard imho.

I find it more fun with Steam friends willing to informally split up gold, turkeys etc. I'm just not fast enough, on any character, to keep up with the pick up group Joneses on gold pickup.

While it's a blast, what I've told people is that if you're a "play each level ONCE, finish, and never play again" person, don't buy this game, period. It's a dungeon brawler with no loot, a lot of achievement perks and limited relic powers that require potions "in the tank" to use, and can only equip two at a time. And it's more like a sport that you might play over a thousand times just for the fun of it. That's not everyone's cup of tea. If I could've given that advice on Steam forums probably 1,500 complain threads wouldn't have gone cause those folks would've realized this isn't their type of game.  icon_smile

As far as the gold, it's only "pooled" (afik) in the sense that the group gold total determines the shared number of rez tokens. If the group runs out of tokens then the next time everyone's dead at the same time ends that session. While the group has at least 1 token, then everyone being dead doesn't end the game (it takes from a few up to maybe 15 seconds before the rez button becomes available).

Gold count is kept for your play on each of the 4 characters, and you can use it at a store between levels either for Relic powers or cosmetic armor/equipment pieces.

Arrowhead is still working on Helldivers for Sony's platforms (Vita, PS3, PS4), so maybe Warners specifically wanted this game on PC for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:13:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 01:04:04 AM »

Played a bit with Blackjack and had a great time.  I like the fact that it's co-op but there is some competition.

I think the way the gold works is that no matter who picks up the gold it's shared among the other players but it does keep track of who collects the most and at the end of the level they get a bonus. 

There is also a crown that is in the level and if you finish the level with it you get another bonus.  If you are wearing the crown and get hit then it goes flying across the level waiting for a player to grab it. 

Food on the other hand is not shared so you have to be careful unless you want to be a jerk.

The other thing is that all the players are different and their attacks use different buttons. The mage is pretty tough and it plays like the Magicka games where you do combos.  The archer uses the right thumbstick.  It makes playing each character interesting.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 25, 2014, 07:39:46 PM

While a lot of us are having a blast with this, and it's for now the #1 selling game on Steam, it was definitely half baked in many serious ways.

what are the 'half-baked' parts?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 03:37:18 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on September 27, 2014, 10:14:11 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on September 25, 2014, 07:39:46 PM

While a lot of us are having a blast with this, and it's for now the #1 selling game on Steam, it was definitely half baked in many serious ways.

what are the 'half-baked' parts?
Half-baked

Truly, Unforgivably Half-Baked
-Keyboard keys are not configurable, which understandably ticks off left-handed players, players in Europe using non-standard keyboards and anybody who doesn't like Arrowhead's default key set ups.
-No way to communicate in online co-op games beyond various quick pre-recorded voice lines that can be hard to hear in combat. No text chat. No built-in voice chat. Nothing. You can of course text chat via Steam or use Steam's voice chat but only if someone is on your Steam friends list. Perhaps forgivable if this was a console port - it's NOT. It's ground up for PC and it's just baffling.

-While Wizard's 9 spells are reasonable to pull off with controller buttons, the keyboard gymnastics involved are ridiculous and can prove impossible to remember unless you print out a list or have a photographic memory.

Half-Baked With Sour Cream and Chives
-No online game browser.
-No drop-in co-op.
-Auto matchmaking really doesn't work most of the time. Generally it will match you to a game that already started, which you can't join.
-Horrible frame rate slowdown for a lot of players (including me), particularly on certain types of maps.
-While one type of level (the "race against Mr. Death" type I think) is supposedly procedurally generated, damned if most of us can tell any difference on it from game to game. I don't mind doing the same levels over and over in this type of game but understandably many people would've preferred that more of the basic levels randomize in layout and loot/potion replacement so it felt a little more fresh on repeat visits.

Half-baked with 2 pats of butter
-For at least some of us the Warrior's "charge" skill via thumbstick is too sluggish and his gamplay just doesn't feel as compelling as the other classes (Valkyrie and Elf are my favorites; I find the Wizard's 9 spell combos too exasperating to keep track of even if some are awesome).
=======
I'm sure anyone could add to this list, this is just my own list of the half-baked.  icon_razz

I know many people think Steam Early Access is the Worst Idea Ever. But many of us think Gauntlet would've released in 100% better shape if they'd been in Early Access even just a couple months or so. I'm sure we would've pointed out the biggest screw ups with the game and they could've released a much more polished game. Yeah I realize that's what beta testers are supposed to do but if Arrowhead did any beta testing on Gauntlet it's pretty sure they got the wrong people, imho.  icon_razz

That said, I gave the game a positive review on Steam while trying to be fully candid about what needs improving and fixing. And while trying to be very specific that this game is more like a twin-stick arcade shooter/brawler with a limited number of levels that you'll be playing repeatedly if you enjoy it. It's not Diablo clone 17 and is not trying to be, but many people want that, and those people should spend $19.99 on Torchlight 2 or whatever instead, imho.  icon_smile

I mean, I convinced one Steam pal to get it and his initial response (not making this up) was: "This is ****ing stupid. How do I move?" because he thought probably it was a Diablo ARPG; and then, "I can't even play this ****ing game because I'm left-handed, and can't change the keys and don't have a gamepad." Multiply that by however many Gauntlet buyers were in the same situation and you have poor testing and bad PR.

I'm convinced maybe 15,000 people bought Gauntlet because the screenshots made it seem like a Diablo game. imho it's closer in feel to classic twin-stick shooter arcade games like Robotron, Smash TV and Total Carnage than it is to Gauntlet. On certain maps if you can't take monster spawners down fast enough the screen truly fills up with monsters and demons and what not. And I guess that part matches Gauntlet the arcade game.

I certainly played Gauntlet at arcades, even at movie theaters that had one in the lobby. My only recollection is dying repeatedly and never really getting anywhere at all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:47:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »

fwiw, Patch 2 released today (Oct. 2). #1: Keyboard key bindings available for keyboard AND mouse controls *one-hand clapping*

Gauntlet v1.02 (Patch 2)
http://steamcommunity.com/app/258970/discussions/0/613937942915062508/
Gauntlet v1.02 (Patch 2) Out Now
Hello fellow adventurers!

Thank you for your continuing feedback on Gauntlet. With Gauntlet v1.02 (Patch 2) we have addressed the most urgent topics like the addition of key bindings and previously hidden resolution settings. Please find the full patch notes below and don’t shoot the food!

Gauntlet v1.02 (Patch 2) 10-02-14
* Key binding settings now available for Keyboard and Mouse Controls.

* All Resolution Options should now be displayed in the Settings UI.

* The Spider Queen will no longer spawn hatchlings behind the entrance gate in ‘The Caverns of Mag’Ash.

* Our heroes can now successfully navigate through the Chasm in ‘The Burning Temple of Dur’ where they previously encountered issues.

* User will no longer be blocked by Grabbing the Block before it 
explodes in Cavern of Mag'Ash.

* Previously 1 local save file was being used regardless of number of steam accounts used on a PC in this Patch, local save files will be unique to the different Steam users that created them.

* Heroes can now successfully traverse the ‘Crypts of the Sun King’ even in rooms with 3 locked doors.

* Undying Heroes will now be awarded their Masteries upon completing the chapter.

* The user will no longer fall out of world when respawning in the area near the
first block to push down in Caverns of Mag’Ash.

* Life bar no longer overlaps ‘Enemy Encountered’ text in Beast of Orox boss battle.

* Various overlapping and cut off text fixes have been addressed in different languages.
The dev rep has said they have ideas on ways to add to the content, but it's really just a tease at this point imho.

I'd side with some players that the Warrior needs a sort of "skills review" (like Gazillion did with characters like Captain America in Marvel Heroes after launch), and the Wizard simply needs an easier way to choose his 9 skills (I've suggested simply scrolling through them via mouse wheel; not sure how to emulate that on gamepad). For the most part, Valkyrie and Elf already seem like a blast to play.

I'd argue the Elf could maybe use one more skill that sprayed a wide salvo of arrows (or maybe a Relic that did as much). It's just, single shots and bombs (dropped or arrow-attached) will only get you so far against larger swarms.

Lots of folks would like randomly generated levels but Arrowhead said it wasn't pleased with the resulting levels. The "Death Chase" levels are supposedly procedurally generated but I don't think most of us players can even tell. I dunno though, maybe they just didn't like the idea of their artists and level designers essentially having nothing to do?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:38:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »

Thanks for all the impressions Blackjack, will definitely pick this up once it's on sale.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on October 02, 2014, 06:53:42 PM

Thanks for all the impressions Blackjack, will definitely pick this up once it's on sale.
Sure, and the dev rep does say they will add content, but I just don't wanna get anyone's hopes up about that.

When  I look at YouTube videos of the arcade original, I think Arrowhead kind of missed the boat on how the arcade game randomized the admittedly simplistic pixel wall mazes by changing the dimensions of rooms, giving players a variety of doors they could open (or not), depending on what routes they wanted to channel the hordes of enemies.

2014 Gauntlet ends up more often just swarming you with enemies in all directions -- so as I blather, exciting in a twin-stick shooter fashion -- but can't help feeling like they didn't recapture how the original game used the environment and let players use the environment. It's like maybe if they'd called the game "Dungeon Blaster," it would be a more accurate title.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: