http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:17:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Deus Ex GOTY Edition - revisiting an old favorite  (Read 467 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »

Now available on Steam for 75% off, a paltry two and a half bucks (UPDATE: that must have been a one day flash sale. It's now just 40% off, still just six bucks). I got the game when it came out in 2000 and played it all the way through, something I don't always do. When I got my new computer in 2003 I installed it (sometime that year) but for some reason it seemed to have issues with the video card I was using and I never got past the first subway mission.

Now it's 2012 and I have a new computer, more for office work than gaming since it has a pretty basic video card, but hey, I saw Deus Ex GOTY Edition for sale on Steam and decided to grab it for yucks. That was yesterday morning and I've probably put in about eight hours so far icon_wink. Turns out I completely missed one of the campaign branches of the Hell's Kitchen area (Smuggler's Lair) when I played a long time ago, and also came across some other interesting stuff I either didn't remember or completely passed by back then.

I saw that there is a big graphics mod for the game (New Vision) but frankly for me the unmodded game looks pretty decent, even at 1920x1200 and I don't really mind the blockiness of the backgrounds. And happily no Big Boss battles. So raise a bottle of Fourty and toast one of the great action role-playing games!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:39:30 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »

uh-oh....

Spoiler for Hiden:

great game though, replayed it last year in anticipation of Human Revolution.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »

I've never played the original Deus Ex,I did play Invisible War on the Xbox(I think it was Xbox anyway)and was blown away by it,and i am currently playing Human Revolution again on the PS3 as part of the PS+ freebie,and really enjoying it all over again

The Original game is actually part of a sale on PS+ at the moment as well,i may have to have a look in..i thought the original was for PC and Playstation 1,but if that link says PS2,then PS2 it is(i just didn't think EU got decent PS2 titles on PSN)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:43:48 PM »

This has also gotten me motivated to look for more of these "golden oldies" games on Steam of the same genre as Deus Ex. Anyone have recommendations? I'm looking for the same open world gameplay as Deus Ex, and if it's in the Steam Summer Sale, even better  icon_biggrin

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:20:57 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on July 14, 2012, 11:43:48 PM

This has also gotten me motivated to look for more of these "golden oldies" games on Steam of the same genre as Deus Ex. Anyone have recommendations? I'm looking for the same open world gameplay as Deus Ex, and if it's in the Steam Summer Sale, even better  icon_biggrin

It depends on what you mean by genre - the cyberpunk genre its set within or the skills based-RPG videogame genre? If it's the latter then you'd probably enjoy all 3 of the Thief games and System Shock 2.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »

We did a sort of "let's play" on GT or OO a few years back with Deus Ex and I unfortunately only got halfway through. It's a bit of a long game and I got a bit burned out. I've wanted to go back and try again, but it's hard to get motivated to play through that much of the game again when I have so many newer games (including DE:HR) to play.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:31:36 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 14, 2012, 11:01:15 PM

The Original game is actually part of a sale on PS+ at the moment as well,i may have to have a look in..i thought the original was for PC and Playstation 1,but if that link says PS2,then PS2 it is(i just didn't think EU got decent PS2 titles on PSN)

ew... please don't play the PS2 version.  The graphics, controls, and level design took a huge hit in the conversion from PC.

Edit: IIRC, the levels are largely the same, but you hit load points *constantly*
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:45:01 PM by Laner » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: