http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:28:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Defense Grid 2  (Read 478 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »

you can help make it happen, but the part that seems odd is that it looks like DG2 won't be made unless they hit a million bucks:

If we raise $250k, then you'll get DG:Containment.  If we raise $500k, you'll get DG:Containment and the remastered DG1 with multiplayer.  If we raise $750k, you'll get DG:Containment, the remastered DG1 with multiplayer, the level editor, and  Mac & Linux versions.  If we raise $1m you'll get DG:Containment & DG2 for sure, and the community can vote on whether they want us to have us make a remastered DG1 with multiplayer, level editor and Mac & Linux, or just put those resources towards a larger DG2 which will also have multiplayer, level editor and Mac and Linux.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:00:06 PM »

I can't believe they haven't made enough of Defense Grid being part of every Steam sale since it was released, including the Potato pack thing.  Although I suppose there is never "enough" when it comes to funding.

Honestly, Defense Grid was a really good game, but I'm not too willing to back another Tower Defense game at this point.  I haven't even played their DLC packs.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »

Yeah I'm kinda surprised at this too. I doubt they made a million off the original game but figured they did well enough to get funding for a sequel.

I loved the original game but this seems like a bit of a stretch asking $1mil to help fund it.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:39:57 PM »

From the developers themselves.

We put everything we had into Defense Grid; we wanted the game to be able to reach a lot of people, and looking back we probably sold the game at too low a price.  It paid for it’s cost, but not enough for us to make DG2 on our own.  It takes a lot of money to make games (especially ones with 3d art instead of 2d sprites). We've been pitching it for several years but it's not f2p social (where the money is now in small games), or AAA (where the money is in big games). We still think there's enough interest to be successful, but that's what we're finding out by doing a Kickstarter.

Copies of DG1: On Steam there are about 500,000 players, there are about 50,000 other PC copies not on Steam, and there are about 200,000 Xbox 360 players.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:06:15 AM »

750,000 copies and they only broke even? That doesn't seem right even if they did sell it at a lower price. I'd love a sequel but it seems like there was a mistake made somewhere beyond the lower price of the game.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »

Doesn't surprise me.  Their credits state that they had a pretty large team to make the game(about 20 people).  I'm sure that some of them weren't full time but if you keep that many people employed for a year on a typical salary ($40,000+) and you end up with a very large number.  Figure in that a large chunk of their sales came about when they sold if for $2 on Steam and it starts to make sense.  Now factor in that they have continued to support the game for the last four years.

Further info from the developers. 

Hidden Path Entertainment, AMD & Razer about 14 hours ago wrote:
Hi Adam, understand your skepticism based on things I read as well, but we're being completely up-front with you. First of all, Resurgence cost about $200,000 to develop and You Monster cost about $300,000 to develop, so DG:Containment at $250,000 is a pretty accurate estimation of what it will cost. AMD and Razer, remember aren't contributing any money, they're promoting the kickstarter, providing pledge rewards, and working with us on the new engine to make sure we support some of their existing and upcoming technologies – they’re providing technical support on technology integration, but they aren’t paying for any development of the game. We're being extremely efficient this time around not only building Containment in the first $250,000 but also making progress on the DG2 engine during that time.

As for your second question about "could we honestly not get funding" it pains me to hear that, not because I don't agree with you, that it should be "obvious" that someone would pick it up, but honestly over 20 publishers have expressed interest over the last 3 years and we did literally a hundred or more presentations and meetings, and term sheets, and everything, and in the end, not one publisher went forward. They were always excited at first, they were always eager and liked the idea of working with us, and they always decided not to move forward when they did their market analysis saying "it wouldn't be profitable enough, for them to choose to work on it" - they needed higher profits than they could forecast based on what we would earn for the game for them to decide to do it.

I'm sorry you think we have another choice - we don't. We really want to make DG2, but I'm pretty sure we have exhausted every other possibility over the last 3 years in trying to get this game made.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:59:27 AM »

well, even though the Kickstarter didn't hit the stretch goal they've secured funding for DG2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:47:27 PM »

Fantastic news. Really did love the original and spent a bunch of hours playing through it and the add-ons but it was getting a bit stale there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: