http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2015, 07:00:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Age of Wonders 3  (Read 2065 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »

Triumph Studios just announced that Age of Wonders 3 will be released this fall for PC. I'm not well-versed enough the series to recognize how it will be different from the old ones. Perhaps the rest of you can help figure it out. smile

From the game's description page:

Key features include:
  • Explore, expand and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather legendary heroes.
  • Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to suit your needs.
  • All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle maps.
  • New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord, theocrat, rogue and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
  • Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your peopleís destiny using your leaderís unique skills.
  • A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
  • An epic story campaign with two playable factions; Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
  • Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
  • High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes and tools allowing user created content.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »

This is an unexpected but pleasant surprise.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »

I just found AOW2 in a box in my attic. Was thinking about firing it up again...
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:30:49 PM »

Cool.  I think I prefer AoW2 over most of the HOMM titles.  Hope this one will be good.
Lockdown

Homeworld: Remastered

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:54:27 PM »

Holy cow! This is fantastic news.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »

turns out one of the funding partners is Notch.

Turns out the "big partner" helping fund Age of Wonders 3 isn't Epic Games but is Notch, creator of Minecraft, real name Markus Persson.

He's contributed to such a degree that Dutch developer Triumph Studios (Overlord) doesn't need a publisher for Age of Wonders 3, although distribution and co-publishing deals aren't ruled out.

Why is Notch doing this? Because he's a fan of the Age of Wonders series.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »

Here are some new screenshots.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 09:37:30 PM »

delayed until Q1 2014.  Better it be more polished instead of a Disciples 3-like bug fest.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »

RPGWatch has a very nice-looking video showing off some gameplay.

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 01:47:52 AM »

The game-play looks very promising. I watched a combat video that appeared to have the elements that I enjoyed in the previous Age of Wonders Shadow Magic - and I hope there's more to appreciate in every aspect from strategy to tactics.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Zaxxon

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 04:24:15 AM »

No GTers are playing this one? :o
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »

All of the talk is over at OO...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on April 07, 2014, 04:24:15 AM

No GTers are playing this one? :o

I've thought about picking it up, but haven't pulled the trigger.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »

No time, but after reading some of the Qt3 thread on it I am looking forward to it.  Top of my buy list when I have time/money.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 11:15:59 PM »

I like it!  I loved the original AoW but couldn't get into AoW2 for some reason.  This has pulled me back in completely.  My biggest complaint right now is a bit of a silly one.  The game has a great hero editor but the game forces you to use a premade character in the primary campaigns.  I would feel more connected to the story if it was my own character instead of one that was forced on me.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »

It's good, will definitely play once I'm not mmo'ing as much.  Loved multiplayer in Shadow whatsamacalled
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 12:44:36 AM »

More impressions... likely will grab this one day when it's on sale...
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 03:08:31 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 12, 2014, 12:44:36 AM

More impressions... likely will grab this one day when it's on sale...

I've posted more impressions in the OO thread, but the tl;dr version is that I'm loving it. I'm on mission five of the first campaign and am nearing 35 hours played.

Can't. Stop. Playing.
Lockdown

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 12:36:56 AM »

The 2nd expansion to Age of Wonders 3, called Eternal Lords has been announced for release on April 14th.

Some of you know I play a lot of strategy games, and AoW 3 with the first expansion is already one of my all-time favorites.  It is extremely good.

This upcoming expansion looks to just knock it right out of the park.

If you're interested:  http://ageofwonders.com/eternallords/

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 12:52:31 AM »

Yeah, the amount of new content that Eternal Lords adds is really impressive, particularly for $20.  I liked AoW 3 out the box and *loved* the Golden Realms expansion, so I can't wait to dig into the next iteration! thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 02:50:05 AM »

Probably the only thing that will be able to tear me away from Project Eternity.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lockdown

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »

It looks like you can opt into the 1.5 update beta early if you wish. In looking over what is coming to AoW 3 even without buying the expansion, the game will get better. These Triumph guys are alright!

If interested:  http://ageofwonders.com/open-beta-for-update-v1-5-kicks-off/

LD

Lockdown

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »

I'm not sure how many strategy gamers visit GT that don't also visit OO and/or QT3; but Eternal Lords is out, and with the exception of some minor bug fixing that will happen very soon, it is in EXCELLENT shape.

The game is simply outstanding on so many levels. If you like "civ-like" strategy games with a bit more focus on tactical combat, and you don't mind the fantasy genre, I really can not recommend this game enough.  It is honestly that good.

LD

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »

OK you sold me on it!  Will purchase when I get home.  Forum Effect wins again!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »

Game is fantastic, I haven't purchased any of the DLC yet though.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 12:22:52 AM »

I bought it last weekend with all the DLC.  Mostly just because the price was good though, not because I'm really itching it play it immediately.  It'll be first up once I finish my current ESO addiction.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »

I agree with everything Lockdown said: Age of Wonders III is a really amazing game!  I particularly like how your armies, especially during the early-to-mid game, feel like adventuring parties with characters who level up and occasionally even evolve into new forms.  That's in addition to your Hero units who get to equip unique pieces of gear and can be customized into extremely powerful warriors, spellcasters, or generals that buff up their retinue tremendously.

The biggest piece of advice I'd give to new players is to always check the enemies' info screens during combat.  Shooting that axeman squad from a distance might be Tactics 101, but understanding that you can't damage them at all until you kill the Martyrs shielding them from nine hexes back is going to transform how you play out the battle.  Cavalry deals more damage if charge into melee range from at least two spaces away.  Rogues can slip through city walls.  Spy Drones explode upon death and deal heavy damage to everything nearby...except Dwarven First Born which are immune to fire.  Every unit in the game has *something* that makes it special, and you can easily see it all in their detailed info screens.

Fighting the AI has been a lot of fun, too.  An early bug would make it scramble all its defenders outside city walls in a rush to engage. That was patched out long ago, and now successfully seizing a well-defended enemy city means finding ways to survive withering arrow volleys from the ramparts.  It's especially cool how the AI behaves slightly differently depending on the units it controls -- wild beasts and ancient constructs tend to be more reckless than trained soldiers operating under the command of a seasoned general.

-Autistic Angel
Lockdown

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 06:33:28 PM »

Everything AA said is positively true, and makes the tactical battles a treat. Understanding flanking, high ground, defense/resistances of units, and even how cover works can make or break a battle when it's close.

I would also say if you are coming into the series fresh, don't be too discouraged that there isn't a typical tech/research tree that most 4x games are known for. AoW3 makes up for that in a number of ways.
1. As AA mentioned, your heroes level up, and the abilities you can buy when this happens range from mundane to epic; and can make a significant difference in the way they are used, particularly in tactical battles.
2. You are required to choose a Race, Class, and 3 Specialty areas of study upon starting a game. These choices directly affect how your "spellbook" is populated throughout the entire game. I suppose you could even equate the spellbook to a 'tech tree' if you want to stretch the definition some. The tactical and global abilities/spells you will gain access to depend greatly on your choice of race/class/specialties. Further, even some of the units you have access to change; not to mention more subtle differences. AA can take a Dwarf Rogue, Gratch a Dwarf Sorcerer, and me an Elf Rogue; and we will have different units/abilities than each other. Then once you factor in we may all choose different specialties to focus on (Air/Water/Good/Evil/Expansion, etc...); and our "tech trees" begin to look significantly different.
3. You build up your towns from a list that differs based on the above choices as well. This doesn't even take into account minor towns you can take over, giving you the potential to have a huge range of different upgrades available to your empire.

There's honestly too much content to try to explain without droning on. Units level up; magic items can be created and equipped to your heart's desire; specialties can be chosen to Mastery levels; global spells can be cast that drastically affect the world; terrain can be modified; morale can have huge effects; map setup can unbelievably change a game; and even diplomacy can have an impact beyond what you might think.

Ok... I'm droning on.  I just feel Triumph deserves so much praise for creating one heck of a game here.

LD

Eco-Logic
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »

So much praise, I cannot resist !   Keep the tips and advice coming because I'll need it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: