http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:28:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Paper Mario2] Impressions  (Read 2757 times)
PhoenixRising
BANNED
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:12:26 PM »

Banned people don't post here.
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 08:14:32 PM »

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 08:16:33 PM »

Man those pics really make me want to get that game.  I sure wish i had more money and time.

AttA
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 08:19:08 PM »

It's a terrific game!
Thanks for the pics!  biggrin

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 08:21:17 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
It's a terrific game!

Is it good all the way through tho.  I rented it while i was sick one day, and got the impression that it might well be one of those RPGs that are nifty but suck in the long run.  By the way how long is the game?

AttA
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 08:31:29 PM »

...running off the smartest person you are likely to ever meet in your entire life.

I'm still here!!  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 08:32:34 PM »

:shock:

I never knew Mario could inspire such feelings of impotency and ineptitude. Learn something new every day I guess. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 08:39:56 PM »

PM 2 is excellent.  The best RPG I played last year.  Highly recommended
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 08:43:22 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
It's a terrific game!

Is it good all the way through tho.  I rented it while i was sick one day, and got the impression that it might well be one of those RPGs that are nifty but suck in the long run.  By the way how long is the game?

it took me about 45 hours to finish.  I didn't do a lot of the side quests, they were too much of a pain.  great great game tho.  the areas are very imaginative and the writing is hilarious at times.

oh yeah I forgot, one of my favorite parts was that you get to name one of your companions, the Yoshi character.  I named him "Assface" and it kept cracking me up when they used his name in conversations slywink

p.s. my copy is for sale in the other forum.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 08:47:15 PM »

It's a terrific game!

It took me around 55 hours to finish and I didn't do everything. It was my Game of the Year for last year. Loved every minute of it.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 08:52:06 PM »

I've been playing the first Paper Mario and enjoying it more than I thought I would.  I know I should be turned off by its childlike charm and all but I've been grinning and playing obsessively for the last week or so.  Kooper is my buddy.

Oh and Dimmona you get 100 extra points on the Awesomeometer!
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 08:54:41 PM »

I still haven't taken the plunge in getting Paper Mario 2, along with Baten Kaitos. I just need more time. And I still want to play both. But there just is not enough time, damn it.

Why are there only 24 hours a day?! AND WHY MUST WORK AND SLEEP TAKE MOST OF IT?!?!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 09:14:56 PM »

I just could not get into Paper Mario 2.  The graphics were great and the combat was solid, but it just didn't grab me at all.  I think maybe it's because I was trying to play PM2, Baten Kaitos, RE4, and KotOR2 all at the same time.  I'll probably go back and try it again during an RPG lull.

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 09:25:37 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I just could not get into Paper Mario 2.  The graphics were great and the combat was solid, but it just didn't grab me at all.  I think maybe it's because I was trying to play PM2, Baten Kaitos, RE4, and KotOR2 all at the same time.  I'll probably go back and try it again during an RPG lull.

Lol man you need to slow down.  how the heck could you enjoy any one of those games while you are playing them all.   Actualy that may just be an AttA thing, but when im playing a story drven game like RE4 or PM, i wont allow my self to play any other story games.  By the same token i absolutly refuse to read 2 books at once, not counting text books of course.   I still play things like shooters and other brainles stuff tho.

AttA
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 09:32:05 PM »

Quote from: "PhoenixRising"
I am sure you will all pat each other on the back and cheer that you finally succeeded in running off the smartest person you are likely to ever meet in your entire life. Without bothering to learn one thing, which is why you are morons to start with. Most of the idiots here have posted a couple hundred posts and have yet to say one thing intelligent or worth listening to. Every post I made was not only intelligent but usually entertaining as well. It's your loss assholes. Live in darkness O shallow ones.

And he wonders why no one likes him...

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 09:32:30 PM »

Yes it is definitely good all the way through! What's great about the game is that the chapters are all radically different from each other. My sole complaint is that in Chapter 7 you have to do a lot of backtracking, but even that isn't too painful. A teriffic game! (around 45 hrs for me to finish, but i left a lot of troubles on the table...)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 09:36:28 PM »

went back to pm2 after finishing minish cap. not sure i'm having as much fun with it as i was for the first 20 hrs or so, but i'm still having fun (& it still makes me laugh)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2005, 09:40:25 PM »

Damn you people.  you know your bad for my wallet and marrige right?

*plans trip to EB after work*

AttA
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2005, 09:59:08 PM »

Lol man you need to slow down.  how the heck could you enjoy any one of those games while you are playing them all.   Actualy that may just be an AttA thing, but when im playing a story drven game like RE4 or PM, i wont allow my self to play any other story games.  By the same token i absolutly refuse to read 2 books at once, not counting text books of course.   I still play things like shooters and other brainles stuff tho.

I know, I know.  What's even worse, I haven't finished any of these yet, but all 4 will be put aside when Xenosaga II comes out in a couple weeks.  Ugh.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005, 10:01:35 PM »

I love Paper Mario 2. Just got the second out of 7 stars and my blimp ticket to the third area.

It's fun, it's funny, and it's Mario. What more do you need?
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 10:08:00 PM »

I know, I know.  What's even worse, I haven't finished any of these yet, but all 4 will be put aside when Xenosaga II comes out in a couple weeks.  Ugh.

Lol gratch you sir have a problem.  since we at CG love you we are gonna have to put our foot down, and do an intervention for you.  No xenosaga untill you can honestly say you have finished at least 2 of those games.

AttA
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 12:51:56 AM »

This is a great game, don't get me wrong. However I've been playing it for two weeks now and games get tiring to me if they take longer than that(they just do, every time) So I'm at Chapter 7 and I'm wondering if I should bother continuing? Most chapters have been pretty neat and different so far but Ice Piranhnas keep freezing me and I'm getting sick of it. So are Fahr mountain and the Moon worth it?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 01:24:03 AM »

It's been quite a while, but if I remember right the part with the pirhana is very short - like 2-3 screens at most.

That said, the chapter 7 quest is really the only monotonous part of the game - you are supposed to go hunt for two people elsewhere in the world, and if you're like me and barely remember meeting one or both of them it can be a lot of running around.

The moon itself is okay (don't worry - it's not the last level).  The scenery is some of the weakest in the game, but thankfully it's also fairly short.  The game is definitely worth sticking out to the end!!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2005, 01:58:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
That said, the chapter 7 quest is really the only monotonous part of the game - you are supposed to go hunt for two people elsewhere in the world, and if you're like me and barely remember meeting one or both of them it can be a lot of running around.

I recommend just using a walkthru for that part.  It is not fun.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2005, 05:05:30 AM »

Maybe kathode will loan this to me, tho likely not since ive made fun of this game at every opportunity in the last 6 months.

Oh yeah, vagabond, sorry to see you go man, its always good to have a character so hysterical that they become a charicature of their own lunacy and provide endless entertainment to other.

I wonder how many more alts you will create before Ron just bans every IP in your town.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2005, 05:42:05 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Oh yeah, vagabond <snip>

Let's stop beating a dead horse

Xbox Live: AgtFox
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2005, 06:23:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
It's been quite a while, but if I remember right the part with the pirhana is very short - like 2-3 screens at most.

The moon itself is okay (don't worry - it's not the last level).  The scenery is some of the weakest in the game, but thankfully it's also fairly short.  The game is definitely worth sticking out to the end!!

Alright, I just played some more but quit when Lord Crump shot 900 audience members at me and took about 30 health off. Tomorrow...
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 07:41:31 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
...running off the smartest person you are likely to ever meet in your entire life.

I'm sure he meant Grundbegriff.  Actually, I'd like to see someone try to prove they're smarter than Grund.  I'm sure there are people who are smarter, but the odds that they're both smarter and capable of winning an argument with him are so small as to be negligible.

The important thing is that I think Grund is still around.  I just saw something he posted in Off Topic.

On topic, I'd like to play PM2 someday, but my time is small and my backlog is huge.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 01:18:36 PM »

This is a great game, don't get me wrong. However I've been playing it for two weeks now and games get tiring to me if they take longer than that(they just do, every time)

while i can't say they do every time, yeah, this's one of those games that's gotten tiring for me as well (talking about the combat, obviously - the story itself is almost endlessly entertaining)...

on the other hand, if huge games are your thing, you can't beat this one - i'm at 30+ hrs / 5 stars in, & have barely scratched the surface of all the side-quest stuff...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2005, 06:40:59 PM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
Quote from: "Devil"

I'm sure he meant Grundbegriff.  Actually, I'd like to see someone try to prove they're smarter than Grund.  I'm sure there are people who are smarter, but the odds that they're both smarter and capable of winning an argument with him are so small as to be negligible.

The important thing is that I think Grund is still around.  I just saw something he posted in Off Topic.

On topic, I'd like to play PM2 someday, but my time is small and my backlog is huge.

Winning an argument suggests that one party might actually be willing to listen to the other on the off-chance that they could learn something from his point of view, rather than a constant effort to ignore the content of every post in favor of an insufferable desire to condescend and take logical reasoning to extremities of application that serve no purpose other than to make people think you are smart.

Now, obviously given the fact that I could not figure out how to formulate the above as anything other than a bad, run-on sentence, I must not be smart frown

I have a question about this silly game, does it have inventory management, weapon and armor upgrades, spells, bascially all the cookie cutter things that I think of in an RPG?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2005, 07:37:33 PM »

I have a question about this silly game, does it have inventory management, weapon and armor upgrades, spells, bascially all the cookie cutter things that I think of in an RPG?

yes... just probably not in the style (or level of complexity) you're used to...

your inventory consists of a dozen items max - you can find, purchase, & also store items throughout the game. upgrades happen in a few ways. mario finds special items that give him new abilities, badges (not counted as inventory) grant certain powers/upgrades, & mario's companions can also learn additional attacks thru special puchased upgrades...

it's all unbelievably intuitive - my first taste of it was superstar saga last year...

BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2005, 08:54:45 PM »

Whoohoo! Beat it at 39 hours....most Troubles completed. I'm done!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: