http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:22:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Official Review] Heavy Rain - PS3  (Read 9470 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:28:25 PM »

I've got my review for Heavy Rain completed.  I've kept it as spoiler-free as I could make it - here ya go!

http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1377

Any questions?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »

The reviews are appearing already? Wow... Going to read it now, but the score sure is encouraging. smile

Edit: Checking GameRankings I see that the game has received loads of reviews already, almost all of them extremely positive. This lifts a load off my shoulders, letting me go back to looking forward to this game with no reservations. Considering that this game was one of the main reasons I bought a PS3 nearly 1.5 years ago, you could say it's sort of important to me.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:57:37 PM by TiLT » Logged
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »

Not sure from the review how the game controls and if that brings you into the game or pulls you out of it.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on February 10, 2010, 10:09:05 PM

Not sure from the review how the game controls and if that brings you into the game or pulls you out of it.

You use gesture controls for almost everything.  It becomes immersive very quickly.  I think there is a demo out or coming soon...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:16:21 PM »

Hey great review Ron.  My wife played the hell out of Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) and I liked it too.  Definately going to go get it now.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:16:35 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 10, 2010, 10:11:34 PM

Quote from: farley2k on February 10, 2010, 10:09:05 PM

You use gesture controls for almost everything.  It becomes immersive very quickly.  I think there is a demo out or coming soon...

You can dl the demo if you do the ARG; if not, I know that a demo for all is coming tomorrow on PSN.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »

well done! (& thanks for no spoilers)...

Quote from: TiLT on February 10, 2010, 09:55:45 PM

Checking GameRankings I see that the game has received loads of reviews already, almost all of them extremely positive.

yeah, for me this is like demon's souls all over again - even tho i'd played & loved it, i was pretty sure it'd get whacked, & i've kinda been expecting heavy rain to get whacked, too. makes me very glad i finally caved & preordered - i'd far prefer 9 hrs of something i've never experienced before to 30-40 hrs of hanging out somewhere i've already been a few times...

still have concerns re: the controls, but the demo erased any doubts i'd had about the feel & atmosphere...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:24:16 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on February 10, 2010, 10:16:21 PM

Hey great review Ron.  My wife played the hell out of Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) and I liked it too.  Definately going to go get it now.

You will LOVE this game then.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 10, 2010, 10:22:16 PM

well done! (& thanks for no spoilers)...

Quote from: TiLT on February 10, 2010, 09:55:45 PM

Checking GameRankings I see that the game has received loads of reviews already, almost all of them extremely positive.

yeah, for me this is like demon's souls all over again - even tho i'd played & loved it, i was pretty sure it'd get whacked, & i've kinda been expecting heavy rain to get whacked, too. makes me very glad i finally caved & preordered - i'd far prefer 9 hrs of something i've never experienced before to 30-40 hrs of hanging out somewhere i've already been a few times...

still have concerns re: the controls, but the demo erased any doubts i'd had about the feel & atmosphere...

There are also difficulty levels you can select - it takes away some of the difficult button presses (R1 + R2 + L2 + Triangle + right thumbstick up in sequence on some of the higher difficulty levels!) and simplifies them a little bit. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:27:26 PM »

I'm very psyched for this.  Also just got the email that Amazon's shipping this with release day delivery!

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »

Very excited for Heavy Rain, glad to hear it's a good game!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:02:37 AM »

I just finished the demo, and while the presentation was great, it just felt like an interactive movie, and the gameplay is mainly QTE
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:23:42 AM »

Quote from: naednek on February 11, 2010, 03:02:37 AM

I just finished the demo, and while the presentation was great, it just felt like an interactive movie, and the gameplay is mainly QTE

You know, some of my favorite games of all time have been like this. I don't need my hands to be scrambling constantly.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 07:39:44 AM »

Also, while the interface is clearly QTE, the way it's handled goes far beyond "Press X to not die." stupidity a lot of games use.

Also, 9 hour play time sounds really, really good to me.  I wasn't expecting that much, more like 5-7 hours.  Of course, a lot of those hours will be watching stuff happen, but that's the game.  Tongue
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 08:08:32 AM »

Thought the demo was refreshing and very, very cool. Glad to hear this one has turned out well, looking forward to it!

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 01:51:14 PM »

I looked at the score, the pros and cons and nothing else. I won't touch the demo and I will not be posting or even looking in any Heavy Rain impressions threads...until I'm done with it.

Like Tilt, this is a weight off of me as I've been anticipating this game like crazy.  Yeehaw!

Can't wait!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 11, 2010, 07:23:42 AM

Quote from: naednek on February 11, 2010, 03:02:37 AM

You know, some of my favorite games of all time have been like this. I don't need my hands to be scrambling constantly.

But if I'm going to watch 10 hours of interactive movie, the movie better be good.  Not video game movie good, but genuine theater quality good.

I don't have a problem with long cutscenes instead of gameplay in principal. But the movie has to be worth watching.  My question is if Heavy Rain's story were a movie would it be a good movie.  

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 03:14:46 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 11, 2010, 01:51:14 PM

I looked at the score, the pros and cons and nothing else. I won't touch the demo and I will not be posting or even looking in any Heavy Rain impressions threads...until I'm done with it.

Like Tilt, this is a weight off of me as I've been anticipating this game like crazy.  Yeehaw!

Can't wait!

I'm 100% doing this as well.  Though I'll probably play twice, once doing it "right" and roleplaying all the characters, and once doing it completely wrong to see how it handles badly wrong decisions.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this game! smile

I'll probably play through the game once, and then invite a friend over to watch him play through it. I did a similar thing with the Blade Runner game (except for Fahrenheit, Blade Runner is the only other game with gameplay similar to Heavy Rain) where I played through it then had two friends play through the entire thing in one sitting while I just watched and marveled at how different their game turned out to be from mine.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »

TilT likes to watch... eek

By Bladerunner game, do you mean the PC game from a long time ago? That game was ridiculous.  I remember the cutscene where you were hacking a power box and if you botched it, it pulled back and showed the electricity ark and take you out.

Fond memories of that game...dont' remember much about it otherwise...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 03:43:57 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 11, 2010, 02:05:55 PM

But if I'm going to watch 10 hours of interactive movie, the movie better be good.  Not video game movie good, but genuine theater quality good.

I don't have a problem with long cutscenes instead of gameplay in principal. But the movie has to be worth watching.  My question is if Heavy Rain's story were a movie would it be a good movie.

not sure what you mean - i think we've all played many video games that easily beat out some of the stuff they show in theaters smile ...

i seriously doubt heavy rain will be an avatar-level experience, cinematically - likely more along the lines of a movie like 'unforgiven': low-key, character-driven, & 'the kind of movie they don't make any more'. a number of the reviewers've mentioned that they got very attached to the characters, & really cared about what happened to them, something i'm thinking at least indicates good storytelling...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 11, 2010, 03:29:40 PM

By Bladerunner game, do you mean the PC game from a long time ago? That game was ridiculous.  I remember the cutscene where you were hacking a power box and if you botched it, it pulled back and showed the electricity ark and take you out.

I don't remember a power box or electricity arcs. The game I'm referring to is this one. It's one of the greatest adventure games ever, and if you enjoy either Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain, you owe it to yourself to try it out. I think I played through it about 10 times, and every time was different, sometimes in dramatic ways.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 11, 2010, 03:43:57 PM

not sure what you mean - i think we've all played many video games that easily beat out some of the stuff they show in theaters smile ...

I mean if the movie bits of Heavy Rain were packaged as a film that you paid to see in a theater, what kind of reviews would the film get.  Is it on the level of a CSI episode in terms of story quality, or is it something better?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 04:11:11 PM »

Where is this demo you guys are playing?  I just checked the PSN and couldn't find it.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 11, 2010, 04:01:55 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on February 11, 2010, 03:43:57 PM

I mean if the movie bits of Heavy Rain were packaged as a film that you paid to see in a theater, what kind of reviews would the film get.  Is it on the level of a CSI episode in terms of story quality, or is it something better?

well, only kd can answer that smile ...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 04:25:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 11, 2010, 03:55:57 PM

I don't remember a power box or electricity arcs. The game I'm referring to is this one. It's one of the greatest adventure games ever, and if you enjoy either Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain, you owe it to yourself to try it out. I think I played through it about 10 times, and every time was different, sometimes in dramatic ways.

That's the one I remember...hmm. Now I'm wondering if I ever finished it.

And how would one go back and play it now?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 11, 2010, 04:25:46 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 11, 2010, 03:55:57 PM

That's the one I remember...hmm. Now I'm wondering if I ever finished it.

And how would one go back and play it now?

I have no idea. It hasn't been re-released anywhere as far as I know. I've still got the original discs for when I feel like replaying the game.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »

Can't wait!

My review is damned near spoiler free.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 11, 2010, 05:33:15 PM

Can't wait!

Indeed. It's a good review for a game in which almost anything you can say will be considered spoilers. I didn't feel spoiled in any way.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 11, 2010, 05:39:17 PM

Can't wait!

Indeed. It's a good review for a game in which almost anything you can say will be considered spoilers. I didn't feel spoiled in any way.

I'm not concerned with spoilers so much as wanting to go in completely blind.  I usually prefer to know as little as possible once I've decided to watch/play something.  Even knowing that a particular character or situation appears, even in the opening scene, takes a bit away from it for me.  It's not just this game, it's most games, movies, books, and shows.  Once I've seen enough to get interested, I go into info blackout mode.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »

I was initially pretty 'meh' about the concept, but I played through the demo yesterday and ended up pre-ordering after I finished.

Looks to be a very interesting story with a great atmosphere (very Se7en-esq). The gameplay was mostly QTE with some adventure game elements (investigating a crime scene).
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 07:08:51 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 11, 2010, 06:07:25 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 11, 2010, 05:39:17 PM

Can't wait!

I'm not concerned with spoilers so much as wanting to go in completely blind.  I usually prefer to know as little as possible once I've decided to watch/play something.  Even knowing that a particular character or situation appears, even in the opening scene, takes a bit away from it for me.  It's not just this game, it's most games, movies, books, and shows.  Once I've seen enough to get interested, I go into info blackout mode.

I'm on board with that - for example, "twist" movies. Revealing to me just the existence of a twist causes me to watch the movie differently. So I tend to go into this sort of blackout mode for stuff I'm really interested in.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 07:21:30 PM »

Preordered.  Can't wait.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »

Demo was pretty cool.  Awesome graphics and presentation and I like how most of the game controls but I can't stand the walking controls.  Feels like garbage and why do the characters I control have the worst walking animation I have ever seen on the PS3?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:53:56 PM by WinoMcCougarstein » Logged

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on February 11, 2010, 07:39:13 PM

Demo was pretty cool.  Awesome graphics and presentation and I like how most of the game controls but I can't stand the walking controls.  Feels like garbage and why do the characters I control have the worst walking animation I have every seen on the PS3?

Yep, I said the same thing.  The walking controls are occasionally a big pain in the ass.  Speaking of ass, you won't mind the walking animation when you are controlling some of the other characters...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 11, 2010, 07:57:38 PM

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on February 11, 2010, 07:39:13 PM

Demo was pretty cool.  Awesome graphics and presentation and I like how most of the game controls but I can't stand the walking controls.  Feels like garbage and why do the characters I control have the worst walking animation I have every seen on the PS3?

Yep, I said the same thing.  The walking controls are occasionally a big pain in the ass.  Speaking of ass, you won't mind the walking animation when you are controlling some of the other characters...

You get to ride a donkey? Cool. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »

Is the demo up already still have 2 hrs till I get off work

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 10:44:18 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on February 11, 2010, 10:10:23 PM

Is the demo up already still have 2 hrs till I get off work

Make a Euro PSN account, it's there.

"Goonies never say die"
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 03:45:13 PM »

I tried the demo last night.

Wow. The controls are terrible.  3 simultaneous buttons to perform some actions?  Really?

I can't really judge much else about the game from the demo.  The graphics seemed OK and the acting seemed mediocre compared to Mass Effect 2 and Uncharted.

This game is not for me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:26:57 PM by denoginizer » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »

Demo was intriguing.  Walking is a little cumbersome, but I'm sure after a bit of time it becomes second nature.  I haven't read the review, but basically the game is a cutscene that you play?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: