http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 06:33:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Official Review] God of War III - Monday, March 8th  (Read 8772 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 21, 2010, 05:19:24 PM

Put me in the camp of not liking the new QTE button placements.

Ideally I thought it would be great, but in reality it's very distracting.  Heavy Rain's QTE style is better (although I don't like the game in general).

Funny, just found the part of the Guide where they introduce the QTE... err, the CSA or 'Context Sensitive Actions' changes when you first hit them in game. It says:

This is intended to help you know what to do without taking your eyes off the action. For example, (O) commands appear on the right side of the screen and the controller. Keep your eyes centered, use your peripheral vision to watch for input commands. For some monsters, these button combinations are random. For this Tentacle, however, the button sequence is SQ, SQ, SQ, SQ.

About what I figured, I'll see how this works out when I get back to the game tonight.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2010, 04:11:02 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 21, 2010, 01:07:23 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, did Hades have an item that you could use in a next playthrough?  I never found anything from him.

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I think so.  I want to say that it's at the bottom of the first area that you can go swimming in after you defeat him.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2010, 05:29:55 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 22, 2010, 04:11:02 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 21, 2010, 01:07:23 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, did Hades have an item that you could use in a next playthrough?  I never found anything from him.

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I think so.  I want to say that it's at the bottom of the first area that you can go swimming in after you defeat him.

Unrelated, but KG no end game impressions from you?  Are you not done yet?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 22, 2010, 05:29:55 AM

Unrelated, but KG no end game impressions from you?  Are you not done yet?

Finished it last night.

I loved it but I think GoW 2 is the basic game in the series.  GoW 3 is definitely second place though.  I think the environments and enemies in Part 2 were just a bit more inspired.  And not that I found GoW3  particularly short, but I think GoW2's longer game time allowed a bit more time to play with different tactics. 

However I love the fighting mechanics in GoW 3.  Most of the changes seemed minor but they added up to a smoother, more fluid fighting experience.  I'll definitely have to give Titan mode a try.

I also really liked the story (which seems to be a disappointment to a lot of people).  I think it did a good job at dealing with Kratos' character and I loved how they tied in elements from the other games. 

I did have one major disappointment- the music.  It was very bland.  GoW 1&2's soundtracks are iconic to me (one piece in particular, which gets a reprise in GoW 3 during the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Hercules
fight is one of my favorite pieces of videogame music ever).  I didn't think any of the new tracks from GoW 3 were memorable at all. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 22, 2010, 01:33:01 PM

I did have one major disappointment- the music.  It was very bland.  GoW 1&2's soundtracks are iconic to me (one piece in particular, which gets a reprise in GoW 3 during the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Hercules
fight is one of my favorite pieces of videogame music ever).  I didn't think any of the new tracks from GoW 3 were memorable at all. 

I really liked the music from this one, in particular the title screen theme, I think it's called Rage of Sparta and the theme that played when you
Spoiler for Hiden:
Were in Tartarus
were my favorite selections.  I rather enjoyed it all.

Regarding the ending:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Do you think Kratos is alive/dead?  Sony has said they want to continue the series, what could they possibly do other than filler stories like CoO was.  Something in the past, like that?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2010, 02:51:18 PM »

Also, those challenges are ridiculously hard.  I've done 3 of the Challenge of Olympus and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish the others...which sucks because it's tied to the Combat Arena?  What exactly is the Combat Arena?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 22, 2010, 02:17:02 PM

Regarding the ending:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Do you think Kratos is alive/dead?  Sony has said they want to continue the series, what could they possibly do other than filler stories like CoO was.  Something in the past, like that?

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I think they gave him some wiggle room to be alive with the bit in the post credits scene.  No way do the corporate overlords allow them to just end the series.  I expect that first they will try to make a GoW 4 with a new character and perhaps a new setting (given the ending of GoW 3, even if Kratos was alive there is nothing left of Olympus, the Gods, etc).  But if it doesn't work out to Sony standards then I expect that Kratos and the Gods will be resurrected in short order.

There are some hints that we will get a new filler game soon (a website that you get a link to if you get a Platinum trophy).  I think someone noticed a reference to Atlantis in GoW 3 so that could be a hint (just as they put a reference to Atlas and Kratos' prior relationshikp in CoO into GoW 2).  So we will probably get a PSP or PSN in between game in the next year or so.  
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »

Wow hard is a lot more difficult than normal.  I got my ass handed to me on the first boss about 15 times and even got the old "do you want easy mode prompt".  Finally beat it, but only because of the liberal implementation of checkpoints during the fight.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 23, 2010, 05:06:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 22, 2010, 02:56:54 PM

Regarding the ending:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Do you think Kratos is alive/dead?  Sony has said they want to continue the series, what could they possibly do other than filler stories like CoO was.  Something in the past, like that?

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I think they gave him some wiggle room to be alive with the bit in the post credits scene.  No way do the corporate overlords allow them to just end the series.  I expect that first they will try to make a GoW 4 with a new character and perhaps a new setting (given the ending of GoW 3, even if Kratos was alive there is nothing left of Olympus, the Gods, etc).  But if it doesn't work out to Sony standards then I expect that Kratos and the Gods will be resurrected in short order.

There are some hints that we will get a new filler game soon (a website that you get a link to if you get a Platinum trophy).  I think someone noticed a reference to Atlantis in GoW 3 so that could be a hint (just as they put a reference to Atlas and Kratos' prior relationshikp in CoO into GoW 2).  So we will probably get a PSP or PSN in between game in the next year or so.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
I started a hard mode playthrough last night and during the fight with Kratos, Poseidon says, "You will pay for what you did to Atlantis!".  I didn't really catch it my first playthrough.  I know it was looked into for a possible locale, I think for GoW1.  Cool stuff!!

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »

Finished it last night... awesome game all around.  I don't really see what was wrong with the ending (some people hated it?).

Obviously the GoW franchise will continue.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2010, 06:14:43 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 23, 2010, 05:06:46 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 22, 2010, 02:56:54 PM

Regarding the ending:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Do you think Kratos is alive/dead?  Sony has said they want to continue the series, what could they possibly do other than filler stories like CoO was.  Something in the past, like that?

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  I think they gave him some wiggle room to be alive with the bit in the post credits scene.  No way do the corporate overlords allow them to just end the series.  I expect that first they will try to make a GoW 4 with a new character and perhaps a new setting (given the ending of GoW 3, even if Kratos was alive there is nothing left of Olympus, the Gods, etc).  But if it doesn't work out to Sony standards then I expect that Kratos and the Gods will be resurrected in short order.

There are some hints that we will get a new filler game soon (a website that you get a link to if you get a Platinum trophy).  I think someone noticed a reference to Atlantis in GoW 3 so that could be a hint (just as they put a reference to Atlas and Kratos' prior relationshikp in CoO into GoW 2).  So we will probably get a PSP or PSN in between game in the next year or so. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I started a hard mode playthrough last night and during the fight with Kratos, Poseidon says, "You will pay for what you did to Atlantis!".  I didn't really catch it my first playthrough.  I know it was looked into for a possible locale, I think for GoW1.  Cool stuff!!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, that sounds exactly like the Atlas reference in GoW 2.  I expect that confirms some sort of side title coming soon. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 23, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »

Regarding voice cast:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was rereading the review on GT and it mentions that Michael Clarke Duncan is back as Atlas, but I don't recall Atlas having a role in this game?  Where was he?
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2010, 09:29:35 PM »

I finished it this past weekend as well and enjoyed the whole ride. Maybe it's just me, but length-wise the game felt shorter than GoW2. I was satisfied with the ending though.

Using Kevin Sorbo to voice Hercules was a cute nod, although I would've wish that battle ended with Kratos
Spoiler for Hiden:
cutting off one of Hercules arms, still attached to a Cestus, and beating him to a bloody death with it slywink

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2010, 10:04:08 PM »

Quote from: spigot on March 23, 2010, 09:29:35 PM

I finished it this past weekend as well and enjoyed the whole ride. Maybe it's just me, but length-wise the game felt shorter than GoW2. I was satisfied with the ending though.

Definitely a fair amount shorter than GoW 2 (which is one of the reasons I prefer the second game because it gave everything a bit more breathing room).  A little longer than GoW 1. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 23, 2010, 10:06:45 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 23, 2010, 10:04:08 PM

Quote from: spigot on March 23, 2010, 09:29:35 PM

Definitely a fair amount shorter than GoW 2 (which is one of the reasons I prefer the second game because it gave everything a bit more breathing room).  A little longer than GoW 1. 

I finished on normal in 10 hours, almost on the dot.  Much shorter than GoW2 for me.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »

I finished this last night.   I have a hard time deciding whether I liked it better than GoW2, but overall awesome game - the only thing for me that really dragged it down near the end (and GoW1 had the same problem) was:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Labyrinth.   Not sure why as the puzzles were straightforward and what not, but compared to the rest of the game jumping around on large cardboard boxes and replaying that same stupid Icarus tunnel segment over and over just wasn't going it for me.

The ending disappointed me a little bit as well:
Spoiler for Hiden:
So Kratos is finally able to forgive himself and seems headed on the road to redemption, and then decides to kill himself?   And if he truly wanted to die, then why crawl over the cliff afterwards?

I must say - the opening boss fight is still my favorite moment in any GoW game smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on March 25, 2010, 07:32:07 PM

I finished this last night.   I have a hard time deciding whether I liked it better than GoW2, but overall awesome game - the only thing for me that really dragged it down near the end (and GoW1 had the same problem) was:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The Labyrinth.   Not sure why as the puzzles were straightforward and what not, but compared to the rest of the game jumping around on large cardboard boxes and replaying that same stupid Icarus tunnel segment over and over just wasn't going it for me.

The ending disappointed me a little bit as well:
Spoiler for Hiden:
So Kratos is finally able to forgive himself and seems headed on the road to redemption, and then decides to kill himself?   And if he truly wanted to die, then why crawl over the cliff afterwards?

I must say - the opening boss fight is still my favorite moment in any GoW game smile
Spoiler for Hiden:
Maybe Kratos didn't crawl off the cliff, maybe he was pulled!  Or maybe he wasn't dead so he jumped off to finish the job, a la beginning of GoW1.

Also, I wasn't too fond of the flying parts either.  On Hard, I died quite a few times going up the first time. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2010, 07:56:20 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on March 25, 2010, 07:32:07 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
So Kratos is finally able to forgive himself and seems headed on the road to redemption, and then decides to kill himself?   And if he truly wanted to die, then why crawl over the cliff afterwards?

End spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
 I think he killed himself because as long as he had the power of Pandora's Box then he would always be a target for manipulation from others who wanted power or would be tempted to exert the power himself.  If he truly wanted to allow mortals to have control over their own lives and be completely free of the influence of the Gods then he had to remove the power of Pandora's Box from the world.  

Re: the flying parts.  I quite liked them though I can how they could be frustrating on higher difficulties.  It seemed like they tightened the controls for those sections significantly from the demo. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 25, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »

Yeah, the controls are definitely improved from the demo.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2010, 04:00:24 AM »

Finished it. Amazing. A word that's probably overused to describe some games but really applies here is epic. One jaw-dropping moment to the next. Jeez. It's going to be weird playing other stuff now  icon_lol

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2010, 05:04:33 PM »

I just beat Hermes last night as well. Kratos' method of dispatching him was very satisfying to say the least  icon_twisted

This game is just too beautiful. I think I am in love.

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »

Finished it yesterday.  It was definitely gorgeous, and some of the setpieces were amazing.

I still can't really get into the combat.  I've played all three main games in the series, and it still feels unnatural to me.  It says something that a few hours after I finished GoW3, I started the Wolverine game, and thought that Wolverine's combat system felt much better to me than GoW's.  The combat mechanics in 3 were definitely an improvement over the first two, but don't compare to other games like Bayonetta.

Now I just have to decide if I want to keep it, or Goozex it for 1200 points.  I'm leaning toward Goozex.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2010, 06:32:52 PM »

Quote from: Roman on March 29, 2010, 05:04:33 PM

I just beat Hermes last night as well. Kratos' method of dispatching him was very satisfying to say the least  icon_twisted

Roman

I was leaning towards spoiler, but then I was reminded that it is Kratos' job to kill EVERYONE!!!!   icon_twisted
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 29, 2010, 06:32:52 PM

Quote from: Roman on March 29, 2010, 05:04:33 PM

Roman

I was leaning towards spoiler, but then I was reminded that it is Kratos' job to kill EVERYONE!!!!   icon_twisted

ya I thought about spoiler too - but then figured that everyone knows he kills everything in his path.....  thumbsup I tried to be vague - if you can consider his predefined outcome as vague.

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2010, 06:00:38 AM »

Just finished on normal difficulty, beautiful and awesome game. This was my first God of War, I missed them on the PS2 so the characters, story, and world were completely new to me. Still, not really knowing much of the story from the previous games I had no problem getting into it at this point. Kratos is such an awesome character, he should be an inspiration to all of us! I know that sounds odd, but I love how he always remains persistent and never lets anyone sway him from his path.

Loved it so much I'm ordering the GoW Collection right now!

I'm expecting this to be my game of the year, but I would certainly welcome a contender.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:03:02 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 30, 2010, 06:00:38 AM

Good choice.  For all of the refinements made in GoW 3, I think the second game is the best in the series. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 30, 2010, 01:21:50 PM

Quote from: Ridah on March 30, 2010, 06:00:38 AM

Good choice.  For all of the refinements made in GoW 3, I think the second game is the best in the series. 

If you have a PSP don't forget Chains of Olympus!  It's a good entry as well.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 01, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »

LTTP, I just finished this up. As expected, I bounced down to easy during
Spoiler for Hiden:
the second part of the "Street Fighter" part of
the final battle.

It's just me, I've never been a fan of standard boss battles, especially ones where you are not given any indication of your progress. I really liked that almost half of the bosses in the game were non-traditional, where platforming and climbing were just as important as how much damage you were dealing.

Some of the jumping controls were a little frustrating this go-round, but overall I was very happy with the puzzles and platforming. I think I had a similar experience with the combat to most people - switching between weapons was very easy and I often used the cestus and chains of exile in tandem, but the hooks and shock things were kind of extraneous.

I also finished up just 3000 orbs short of the "maxed out" trophy frown

Regarding the ending, I thought it was a little weird when the game turned into a
Spoiler for Hiden:
Max Payne dream sequence.
I felt like they could have tightened that up a bit.

I also got a little confused during the point where you
Spoiler for Hiden:
beat Zeus to pulp. I guess if you keep hitting circle you can beat him forever. I finally decided to take my finger off for a little while to make sure the game wasn't broken biggrin

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 01, 2010, 05:40:14 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 01, 2010, 04:31:18 PM

I also got a little confused during the point where you
Spoiler for Hiden:
beat Zeus to pulp. I guess if you keep hitting circle you can beat him forever. I finally decided to take my finger off for a little while to make sure the game wasn't broken biggrin

I thought that part was brilliant.  I love when games manage to trick the player into almost becoming the character for a moment.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 01, 2010, 05:43:12 PM »

I have been replaying this on hard and I am at the last part of the last fight and it's been kicking my ass.  I give it about 10-15 tries every few days, but no dice.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 01, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 01, 2010, 05:43:12 PM

I have been replaying this on hard and I am at the last part of the last fight and it's been kicking my ass.  I give it about 10-15 tries every few days, but no dice.

Didn't we just establish that all you have to do is press circle? slywink

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 01, 2010, 07:13:30 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 01, 2010, 05:43:12 PM

Didn't we just establish that all you have to do is press circle? slywink

I'm talking about the fight before that and after the SF style 2-D fight. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Inside Gaia.  I get my ass handed to me when he starts spawning clones.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 08, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »

Well I finally beat the game on hard.  I tried very hard and couldn't even get passed the first mini-boss.  So nuts to that!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »

I'm finally at a point in my life where I think I will take this game on.  Wonder if I still have my GOW chops

Might play a bit on hard until I get my sea legs and then give God difficulty a try.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2013, 12:57:40 AM »

Playing on Normal.

After a clumsy start, I'm back in the groove and remembering why I so LOVE this series.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »

Got  through the battle with Hades and have decided to start over on the Hard difficulty as normal was not particularly challenging.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2013, 12:34:14 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 30, 2013, 06:17:53 PM

Got  through the battle with Hades and have decided to start over on the Hard difficulty as normal was not particularly challenging.
I tried hard last night and couldn't get past the first water horse. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2013, 12:54:44 AM »

Quote from: shon on January 31, 2013, 12:34:14 AM

That boss is the hardest part (on hard) until much later in the game.  It's much harder than a lot of stuff well afterwards.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »

Quote from: shon on January 31, 2013, 12:34:14 AM

Got  through the battle with Hades and have decided to start over on the Hard difficulty as normal was not particularly challenging.

It's just a matter of timing the dodges.  It took me a few times, but once I got the pattern it wasn't too bad. That's the thing on most of the GOW bosses...identify the pattern, avoid, chip away, wait for the QTE.  Oh and almost never use heavy attack.

Still, even knowing that pattern sometimes isn't enough as there are times it'll take me a dozen times or more to get past something  slywink.  

I'm back to the Forge.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2013, 02:17:06 PM »

Even now, I still can't believe how great this game looks. Probably the best intro level in an action game ever.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: