http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 05:52:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Official Review] Alan Wake  (Read 10009 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2010, 04:37:14 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 27, 2010, 04:33:01 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 04:28:46 PM

Quote from: dkass on July 27, 2010, 04:28:04 PM

Do we need the original disc to play the DLC?

the DLC is only 48 megs or so, I guess you probably do.

thats how big The Signal Trailer is...the actual DLC is 381mb

I thought the trailer was the 11 meg one, but I missed the 381 meg one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 04:37:14 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 27, 2010, 04:33:01 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 04:28:46 PM

Quote from: dkass on July 27, 2010, 04:28:04 PM

Do we need the original disc to play the DLC?

the DLC is only 48 megs or so, I guess you probably do.

thats how big The Signal Trailer is...the actual DLC is 381mb

I thought the trailer was the 11 meg one, but I missed the 381 meg one.

i think a new Signal trailer was released today to coincide with the DLC

you made the same mistake as me this morning,i was wondering why the DLC was so small on that link...but then i saw the sign next to it having a movie scene behind the controller...and there is a small menu on the left(it wasn't actually listed there as it is now on that page this morning),where you can choose game add ons or Videos,themes etc..if you click on the game-add ons,it will list just The Signal DLC

you will also notice that the price for that 11mb and 48 mb The Signal is free
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:44:37 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »

Apparently the DLC is about 1.5-2 hours long. One of the gaming sites I visit said it is basically "more of the same" but it adds a nice addition to the storyline, and is a very high quality addition to the game. I'm looking forward to it. AW was a nice change of pace from the standard racer-FPS-action fare that is always being released.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »

Just got my code for The Signal, but I already got rid of the game. Anyone want my code?

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2010, 07:20:32 PM »

I have a code too if anyone wants it.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »

I'll take one if anyone is willing. I didn't receive the code in my e-mail for some reason, and when I try to redeem the code on live! it says "already redeemed".

<edit> Code received from spigot. Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:33:40 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 30, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »

made it to episode 3.  yay, more woods.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2010, 02:57:38 PM »

stick with it CK,i know it gets a bit ...erm...is 'tedious' the word i am looking for?..or samey as well,maybe

episode 4 was my favourite episode,however that episode was also where i started to notice the screen tearing...not that it spoiled the game though

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2010, 02:41:24 PM

made it to episode 3.  yay, more woods.

Episode 3 is where the game's repetition is the most noticeable.  Stick with it, Episodes 4 and 5 get WAY better.

XBox Live:  JNacht
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »

Ok, I'll tough it out through 3.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2010, 12:59:59 AM »

apparently the Writer is going to be the last bit of DLC....

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2010, 06:18:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 21, 2010, 12:59:59 AM

really? I have yet to see any kind of "Episodic content DLC" promises that were actualyl kept.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 21, 2010, 06:18:08 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 21, 2010, 12:59:59 AM

really? I have yet to see any kind of "Episodic content DLC" promises that were actualyl kept.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 have been pretty long lasting.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2010, 07:03:45 AM »

Thats true, actually - And the mass effects ones even has had some good reviews by most people.  I stand corrected.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2010, 02:45:42 PM »

The Write has a release date: October 12th.  560 MS points to end the nightmare.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2010, 09:14:17 AM »

making my final push through this one, and it's getting ridiculous how often Alan loses all his gear.

Alan gets into chopper fleeing bad guys, decides to drop everything in the face of danger: LOSE ALL YOUR STUFF
Alan sneezes: LOSE ALL YOUR STUFF
Alan blinks: LOSE ALL YOUR STUFF

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »

my sister has just bought this pre-owned and it had the DLC card still in it not used

i really liked the game but it kinda took 2 days to 1000/1000 it,i know what you mean with the losing the stuff,i would try my hardest to save my flares,only for me to lose everything at the end of the level/chapter

one day i will go back and play the 2 DLC,probably when i borrow it of my sister Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2010, 07:44:27 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 09, 2010, 11:14:17 AM

my sister has just bought this pre-owned and it had the DLC card still in it not used

yeah, I took mine in for trade and left the unused DLC card in there too.  hopefully if they do an Alan Wake 2 they mix up things a bit more- killing possessed identical lumberjack number 600 got old.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2010, 07:53:49 AM »

i still haven't finished the first DLC,i got half way and stopped(i think Fallout New Vegas grabbed my attention)

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2010, 03:40:15 AM »

Late to the party again. (Hey at least I played AC Brotherhood right after it came out! smile )

I've played through episode 2. In short, I like the story and presentation a LOT more than the game itself. By the end of ep 1 I was asking my friend who loaned this to me if the gameplay changed at all. When I heard "no" I was pretty discouraged. To hear the ending is a let down doesn't help. Still, every time I start up the game I kind of warm up to it again, so I guess I just need to play this in short bursts. It hasn't been very hard at all, other than the attack of the birds which I won without really knowing how or why.

I seem to like the atmosphere of these sorts of "survival horror" games a lot more than the gameplay. Of course the HUGE exception to that was the brilliant, masterful, under-appreciated masterpiece "Eternal Darkness". Oh, how I wish we would get a sequel to that game!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2010, 06:17:48 AM »

Quote from: JCC on December 14, 2010, 03:40:15 AM

Late to the party again. (Hey at least I played AC Brotherhood right after it came out! smile )

I've played through episode 2. In short, I like the story and presentation a LOT more than the game itself. By the end of ep 1 I was asking my friend who loaned this to me if the gameplay changed at all. When I heard "no" I was pretty discouraged. To hear the ending is a let down doesn't help. Still, every time I start up the game I kind of warm up to it again, so I guess I just need to play this in short bursts. It hasn't been very hard at all, other than the attack of the birds which I won without really knowing how or why.

I seem to like the atmosphere of these sorts of "survival horror" games a lot more than the gameplay. Of course the HUGE exception to that was the brilliant, masterful, under-appreciated masterpiece "Eternal Darkness". Oh, how I wish we would get a sequel to that game!

I would also like a sequel to that game.  That game actually got me into console gaming beyond sports and racing games.  Before that game I was a PC gamer.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 14, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »

i played through the game and liked it,but stopped half way through the first DLC,as i wasn't enjoying it at all,i was very bored,guess i will get back to it someday and pull myself through it

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2010, 02:31:58 PM »

The Writer and The Signal DLC are both 200 points each for today(Christmas Eve) only

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/12/23/countdown-to-2011-deal-day-8_2D00_AlanWakeAddons.aspx

I just downloaded the second DLC,so i guess now is a good a time as any to go back to that first DLC

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 25, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 24, 2010, 02:31:58 PM

The Writer and The Signal DLC are both 200 points each for today(Christmas Eve) only

Damn....I wish I would have seen this yesterday.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »

I noticed the 90% off sales on Steam yesterday. Is the game that bad, or that old, or Remedy that desperate? Should I get it? Are the add-ons worth bothering with? I guess at the price ($4.90 for everything) Alan Wake, maybe it doesn't matter.

These days almost everything not-isometric seems to make me motion sick, including third person games (the Tomb Raider reboot being the most recent culprit). I don't want to get into any more situations where I'm dropping $40-$60 on stuff I simply can't play without feeling ill.  icon_redface For under $5, maybe I can risk it.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »

Can't say about the motion sickness but I played the game last year and enjoyed it. It does use check points and a couple of areas can be frustrating but besides that I had a great time.
As to the price drop, it's mostly just old. Most games get cheap eventually.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »

It's an older game that has been on sale many-a-time. So I suspect whomever wanted the game by now has it and its likely not selling at all outside of sales. So the 90% off makes sense to entice those last few users that had an inkling to trying the game.

That said I loved the original game. It started off a bit slow but then took off. It's very action oriented with a unique combat mechanic where light used as the weapon. The game presents as a free-roam game but its not really. You pretty much go on path that's laid out for you - and that's fine. I also enjoyed the interaction between Alan and his publicist, Arnie I think his name is. At first Arnie is really annoying but over the course of the game you come to understand the friendship the two have and to me it was one of the more memorable gaming companion experiences.

The DLC for the first game isn't all that great. The first one add a neat combat mechanic to it but that's about it. And the second was was basically a rehash of stuff you've done before. Still can't complain too much though as it continued the story.

The American Nightmare stand-alone thing I played through but didn't care for it all that much. It's Alan Wake lite with a story and setting that were not as good as the original game.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »

Alan Wake surprised me by being one of my favorite games of last year.  (note: it came out long before that on 360)  The PC port was really well done and had the developers redo all the textures in the game to make them higher resolution.  The game itself is very story focused (at least for an action game) and if you get into it, is very compelling.  I highly recommend picking it up.

American Nightmare is basically a standalone expansion pack.  It technically takes place after the original game but does so in an unconventional fashion that won’t make sense unless you play the main game first.  I still enjoyed it but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you love the main game.  It’s much more action oriented and somewhat repetitive.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 31, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »

Thanks, guys.  icon_smile I put the first one on my wish list so I'll probably pick it up. I think the sale's through Sunday.

Almost makes up for the time I bought L.A. Noir and Steam put it on 50% off two weeks later (or something like that).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2013, 08:58:32 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 31, 2013, 08:49:54 PM

Thanks, guys.  icon_smile I put the first one on my wish list so I'll probably pick it up. I think the sale's through Sunday.

Almost makes up for the time I bought L.A. Noir and Steam put it on 50% off two weeks later (or something like that).
well then this won't help.   LA Noir complete is going for $10 with a copy of Max Payne 3 on Amazon right now.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 31, 2013, 08:58:32 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on May 31, 2013, 08:49:54 PM

well then this won't help.   LA Noir complete is going for $10 with a copy of Max Payne 3 on Amazon right now.
Ha, that's OK. I had to go through so much MS Framework updating/retro-back updating hell just to install LA Noir, and then when I actually played it... I didn't like it.  icon_lol icon_redface

It's just, I'd have felt better about wasting $25 than $50, whatever the amount was.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: