http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:02:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Official] Rock Band 2 Impressions  (Read 35653 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 23, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »

I remember being irritated with Entertainment Weekly when they reviewed RB and GH3.  The reviewer basically dismissed RB because he didn't really want to get any friends together.  It was comparable to the general public opinion, I thought (and frankly, I expect reviewers to go a little more in depth than the general public - EW is good at this in their other reviews, but their video game reviews are essentially worthless).  Popularity was essentially only based on name recognition alone.

Well, in their recent Top Entertainers of the Year at No. 7, no less, is good old Rock Band.  In the article, it's being described as revolutionary and setting the tone for games to come, as well as reinvigorating the entire music industry. 

Very gratifying.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 24, 2008, 09:44:44 PM »

Totally separate deal.  These Lips microphones look cool (my wife wants 'em, anyway), but I don't see myself bothering with them unless they work with Rock Band.  I have read that as of now they don't work, but could easily do so with a patch.  Any word on if said patch is even in the pipeline?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 29, 2008, 04:52:15 PM »

Hey, it's me again.  Guitar Hero World Tour got reviewed by Yahtzee on Zero Punctuation, and Harmonix got kind of bitch slapped in the process. 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/452-Guitar-Hero-World-Tour

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 16, 2008, 10:33:42 PM »

Wow, third time's the charm, hopefully.

Any word on that Lips mic patch?  I was hoping to get Lips for some holiday RB2 rocking!

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 16, 2008, 10:47:25 PM »

article

Our super sophisticated estimation process has it that a whole 2.89 of ya even care that Microsoft's Lips microphone won't work with Rock Band or Guitar Hero, but we're about to make just south of three Earthlings a lot happier. Harmonix and MTV Games have been working with Microsoft to provide compatibility (via a patch) with Rock Band 2, though there's no definite date to latch on to. Alright Activision, the bar has been set -- you up to the challenge?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 17, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 16, 2008, 10:47:25 PM

article

Our super sophisticated estimation process has it that a whole 2.89 of ya even care that Microsoft's Lips microphone won't work with Rock Band or Guitar Hero, but we're about to make just south of three Earthlings a lot happier. Harmonix and MTV Games have been working with Microsoft to provide compatibility (via a patch) with Rock Band 2, though there's no definite date to latch on to. Alright Activision, the bar has been set -- you up to the challenge?

Yeah, I knew it was in the works, but I was hoping there'd been an inkling of how close it might be now.  I'd get the game tomorrow if I knew the patch would be out by Xmas.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 17, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »

The article was dated 12/6, so odds are good that there's not going to be one before next year.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 18, 2008, 03:48:22 PM »

Got my 3rd (Blue) cymbal for the Ion kit this week.

Just when I thought it couldn't get better.... icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 19, 2008, 02:30:31 AM »

So I broke down and got the double pack after waiting and waiting for the mad catz triple cymbal pack to show up in retail stores and finding nada. The cymbals are awesome! I set one as the high-hat, just above the yellow pad and the other as the crash above and close to the blue pad. Holy crap, just the feeling of playing stuff like Maps, with the triple cymbal hit then the snare hit is too cool.

Now I'd like the ride cymbal as well, so I put in the order for the single cymbal on Amazon.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 05, 2009, 06:35:07 PM »

So I just got this as a present from my wife and set it up last night. This is my first guitar hero/rock band game, and I had always been reluctant to get them before because I play guitar, and memorizing patterns that didn't really correspond with playing the music didn't feel very enticing. But playing the drums is very, very cool. At medium/high you already actually playing an approximation of the actual drum track, and being able to learn to play some drums is very attractive. Too bad there is no way to do open/closed hi-hat, because it would be great if I could use the drums as a midi controller (which I have read can be done).

one question:

what is the game benefit (in tour mode or whatever) from playing on hard/expert? I am sticking pretty much to medium on drums right now as I get my coordination up, but are you prevented from unlocking songs/progressing unless you start playing on harder difficulties?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: January 05, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 05, 2009, 06:35:07 PM

what is the game benefit (in tour mode or whatever) from playing on hard/expert? I am sticking pretty much to medium on drums right now as I get my coordination up, but are you prevented from unlocking songs/progressing unless you start playing on harder difficulties?

No difference, other than you are a wuss if you don't play on Expert.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 05, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 05, 2009, 06:36:14 PM

I'm a wuss then.  I last about 30 seconds on expert if I am lucky.  I will be moving up to Hard soon though, since I am comfortable playing any song on medium.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: January 05, 2009, 07:10:58 PM »

Quote from: Owain on January 05, 2009, 06:51:49 PM

I'm a wuss then.  I last about 30 seconds on expert if I am lucky.  I will be moving up to Hard soon though, since I am comfortable playing any song on medium.

Number of fans is capped later on as you progress unless you move up to Hard. I don't know what affect that has though. I think you also get more cash on higher difficulties as well.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 05, 2009, 07:15:44 PM »

The only real advantages to playing through on expert is you can get more achievements when you complete certain sets like the endless setlist.  You are not denied access to any songs by staying with medium though.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 05, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »

I'm a wuss.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 05, 2009, 10:04:07 PM »

So I just got this as a present from my wife and set it up last night. This is my first guitar hero/rock band game, and I had always been reluctant to get them before because I play guitar, and memorizing patterns that didn't really correspond with playing the music didn't feel very enticing. But playing the drums is very, very cool. At medium/high you already actually playing an approximation of the actual drum track, and being able to learn to play some drums is very attractive. Too bad there is no way to do open/closed hi-hat, because it would be great if I could use the drums as a midi controller (which I have read can be done).

one question:

More fans and money from setlists is pretty much the main benefit, along with a few achievements. You can unlock all the songs on medium I believe.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 06, 2009, 12:00:56 AM »

icon_biggrin

It wasn't pretty.  But it still counts.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 09, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »

Looks like my triple cymbal pack will be arriving today, so I'm pretty excited. I didn't find out until after that fact that I had apparently gotten a really good deal - I just popped on Amazon and they had them for $36 shipped, but I'm reading that they are frequently out of stock and much more expensive.

After reading some articles on Chris' site (and watching the associated videos) about what are considered the most fun songs for guitar, I think I am pretty sure I am never going to pick up the guitar controller again. That's ok, I'm happy to have "drum hero".

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 09, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 09, 2009, 05:50:15 PM

After reading some articles on Chris' site (and watching the associated videos) about what are considered the most fun songs for guitar, I think I am pretty sure I am never going to pick up the guitar controller again. That's ok, I'm happy to have "drum hero".

One of the great things about Rock Band 1/2 for me is that from time to time I will get sick of one instrument or another, but there are still things to do.  For a while I was playing drums all the time, then I burned out on the drums and have been playing guitar more recently.  I've even begun a vocal career on medium.  With so many different song/instrument combinations the game never gets old for me.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 09, 2009, 07:19:09 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 09, 2009, 06:54:22 PM

Quote from: Teggy on January 09, 2009, 05:50:15 PM

One of the great things about Rock Band 1/2 for me is that from time to time I will get sick of one instrument or another, but there are still things to do.  For a while I was playing drums all the time, then I burned out on the drums and have been playing guitar more recently.  I've even begun a vocal career on medium.  With so many different song/instrument combinations the game never gets old for me.

question: what is the difference between playing one instrument (by yourself) in a band career and playing that same instrument in a solo career?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:26 PM »

Same thing, just some people like to create a new band for each instrument so that you can separate your progress with each.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 11, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »

So I unlocked the Rolling Stone set this morning and took a quick look at the setlist to see what it had in store. Some stuff I already have no problem with, some stuff I haven't played yet, like Painkiller and Battery. I know Battery (the song) so I find a 1 song setlist that has it so I can check it out on medium drums. Oh, you can't play it on medium? OK, well lets just check it out. Intro is no problem. OK, the fast part is coming up.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5...fail out.  This might take a while biggrin

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 11, 2009, 08:52:47 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 11, 2009, 08:05:21 PM

So I unlocked the Rolling Stone set this morning and took a quick look at the setlist to see what it had in store. Some stuff I already have no problem with, some stuff I haven't played yet, like Painkiller and Battery. I know Battery (the song) so I find a 1 song setlist that has it so I can check it out on medium drums. Oh, you can't play it on medium? OK, well lets just check it out. Intro is no problem. OK, the fast part is coming up.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5...fail out.  This might take a while biggrin

Try it with breakneck speed on.  I found that with it on the pattern in Battery was much easier to see.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 11, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »

OK, another newb question - how does the game release songs to practice mode? When I failed out of Battery, it asked me if I wanted to practice it, but when I went directly into practice mode to play it it wasn't there.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 12, 2009, 06:11:01 AM »

OK, whose brilliant idea was to make the mic much larger than fits in a standard mic stand? However, I managed to balance it on the end of my stand so I could get the "along for the ride" achievement doing easy vocals while I played easy drums biggrin

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 12, 2009, 04:54:41 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 11, 2009, 11:33:22 PM

OK, another newb question - how does the game release songs to practice mode? When I failed out of Battery, it asked me if I wanted to practice it, but when I went directly into practice mode to play it it wasn't there.

If I remember correctly they unlock when you beat the song in World Tour mode or unlock whichever challenge it's located in. Not 100% sure on that.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2009, 05:16:13 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on January 12, 2009, 04:54:41 PM

Quote from: Teggy on January 11, 2009, 11:33:22 PM

If I remember correctly they unlock when you beat the song in World Tour mode or unlock whichever challenge it's located in. Not 100% sure on that.

I wonder why they did it that way? If you want to practice it, you're forced to go back and play the set, fail out and lose fans.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 13, 2009, 04:12:42 AM »

Dammit Grue, how do you continually stay one frustratingly close step ahead of me in drum career score?!  icon_evil

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 13, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 13, 2009, 04:12:42 AM

Dammit Grue, how do you continually stay one frustratingly close step ahead of me in drum career score?!  icon_evil

LOL....I normally am not paying attention, but I saw you ahead this weekend, so I played a little.  I actually didn't know I had passed you up, because it takes time for the scores to update.  I just played a few songs and hoped it would do it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: January 14, 2009, 12:15:05 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 12, 2009, 06:11:01 AM

OK, whose brilliant idea was to make the mic much larger than fits in a standard mic stand? However, I managed to balance it on the end of my stand so I could get the "along for the ride" achievement doing easy vocals while I played easy drums biggrin

+1

I brought my mic stand home one night, hoping to do some cool ass vocals, hands free, and couldn't.  crybaby

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 14, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »

I haven't had any problems with either the rock band mic or the konami karoake rev mic with my mic stand.  maybe I have a non-standard stand though.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 14, 2009, 03:18:43 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 14, 2009, 12:19:18 AM

I haven't had any problems with either the rock band mic or the konami karoake rev mic with my mic stand.  maybe I have a non-standard stand though.

Well OK, technically, I don't know if there is really such thing as "standard" clip, but most stands I have ever used have had clips that pretty much matched a Shure SM57/58. I thought it was a little odd that they made their mic significantly fatter than the most common mic out there. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't work out some kind of endorsement deal like they did with the guitars.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:36:12 AM by Teggy » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 15, 2009, 04:19:28 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 14, 2009, 03:18:43 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on January 14, 2009, 12:19:18 AM

Well OK, technically, I don't know if there is really such thing as "standard" clip, but most stands I have ever used have had clips that pretty much matched a Shure SM57/58. I thought it was a little odd that they made their mic significantly fatter than the most common mic out there. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't work out some kind of endorsement deal like they did with the guitars.

Has that funky LiPS mic been patched in yet?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: