http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 04:23:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [LTTP] F.E.A.R.  (Read 596 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »

I would have necroed a thread, but trying to search for "F.E.A.R." doesn't work in the search engine.

Anyway, I initially tried playing F.E.A.R. on the 360 a while back but had trouble with it and gave up very early. Later I tried it on Boot Camp, but I think it might have been prior to the widescreen patch, because I had a lot of trouble with motion sickness. Finally, I booted it up this week on PC and something has just clicked - I am loving this game.

First of all, I think I was approaching the game wrong before. Rather than run and gun, I'm sneaking up on enemies and making liberal use of slowmo, plus mines, explosive barrels, fire extinguishers, etc. The combat is just really fun. I know some of the criticism of the game was the environments, and I get that, but I also like the way the levels twist around, up stairs, through ducts, out windows, down elevator shafts and so on. I'm also really enjoying the story as it plays out through the voicemail messages, and there's just enough scary to make it fun, but not too nerve wracking. As I get further into the game (in chapter 8 now), there are more and more exciting scripted events.

Looking forward to see how it ends - hopefully the gameplay holds up through the expansions and the sequels.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 03:16:34 AM »

Finished up today. Great game, strong all the way through to the end. The story twist was a little cliché, but it was done well, and the ending was great scary fun. I'm glad I didn't give up on getting this out of my backlog.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 03:40:57 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 25, 2012, 03:16:34 AM

Finished up today. Great game, strong all the way through to the end. The story twist was a little cliché, but it was done well, and the ending was great scary fun. I'm glad I didn't give up on getting this out of my backlog.

I thought the beginning was kind of okay, the middle meh, but the end portion was unforgettable.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »

This thread jogged my memory. I actually picked up the series during this year's Summer sale. So, inspired by this thread, I started this up yesterday and put in a few hours. Pretty fun game. I like the scary bits more than the shooty bits. Glad to finally play this as I was always curious about it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:58:20 AM »

I finished FEAR last night. Pretty good.

I have been playing the Extraction Point expansion today. Fun, but ready for something a bit different. I may take a break from FEAR once I finish this before tackling the last expansion.

I also have FEAR 2 and 3, are they as good?

-John

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:06:17 AM »

Something I read today that was interesting was that the expansions are not canon. In the case of Extraction Point, I think that's a good thing.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

I played all of the F.E.A.R. games and finished and enjoyed them. For me though, none of them were really scary and I'd actually just categorize them as creepy in nature. F.3.A.R. was actually my favorite, mostly because I'm a co-op gamer.  The 2-player split-screen play in that game is excellent and a very fun ride beginning to end.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »

Well, it's a good thing the expansions aren't canon because my game keeps crashing right as I hit chapter 7 in Perseus Mandate. It appears to be a common issue, but none of the solutions people have posted are working for me. I'll probably take a break from shooters for a little bit but I'll take on FEAR 2 pretty soon.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 28, 2012, 05:06:17 AM

Something I read today that was interesting was that the expansions are not canon. In the case of Extraction Point, I think that's a good thing.

I distinctly remember the evening I finished F.E.A.R. and was so amped up by the amazing finale that I immediately jumped into Extraction Point...and quit forever after about thirty minutes.  The expansions were farmed out to TimeGate and it really shows.

Sadly, F.E.A.R. 2 is also a pretty poor game.  Where the first game had a really chunky physicality to it, with powerful weapon impacts and exaggerated particle effects to emphasize the Bullet Time hook, the sequel seemed content to craft the most generic corridor shooter of all time and edit in some a forgettable slo-mo filter as an afterthought.  I honestly don't remember a thing about the story.

I'm about halfway through F.E.A.R. 3 as we speak, and from what I've seen, it's built around two core principles:

1) The combat in F.E.A.R. 2 was generic as hell, so let's build the biggest, flashiest 80's action movie game we can, and

2) Nobody, anywhere, cares to comprehend this weird-ass story anymore, so let's build a big, flashy 80's action movie!

To give you a sense of how the third game focuses your attention, every level in the game is built as a Score Attack round with dozens of challenges for racking up kills with specific weapons, nailing enough headshots, killing enough dudes from behind Active Cover(!), spending enough time in slow motion, and finishing the level quickly enough.  There's, like, some psychic ghosts too, but nothing you can't solve with enough explosions.

Honestly, it's kind of great, especially for the going rate of $5-$10.  Doubly so with a co-op partner to control the psychic ghost who's on your team.  Just don't go into it expecting the eerie tension of the first game -- this is the very epitome of rockin' run-and-gun action.

-Autistic Angel
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:03:40 PM »

Finished Extraction Point, and was definitely ready for it to end. I am definitely taking a pass on Perseus Mandate based on reviews and its non canon status. I would be inclined to jump into FEAR 2 right away, but given its middling reviews I may take a break and move onto something else... (Or I may just start it, I'm really not sure.)

I did find the firs game pretty enjoyable. Always nice to play something scary and fun.

-John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: