http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 01:22:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Live] Dead Rising Demo!  (Read 4952 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2006, 04:44:19 PM »

Put frying pan on the stove, heat, remove frying pan, hold X button near zombie = burned zombie face plus outake photo op.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2006, 05:57:15 PM »

Ok this is the shit.  I love this demo.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2006, 06:04:50 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
I can't believe you can't hit a zombie on the ground. They're just sitting there wiggling and you have to wait like 20 seconds for them to get up because you only have one basic attack. For the love of god, let me kick their stupid fucking heads in!

For weapons like the sledge hammer and the scythe, there is a different attack depending on whether your tap the 'X' button or hold it down.  Holding down the attack button with the scythe, for example, does a low sweeping attack that will hit zombies laying on the the ground even before they get up.

-Autistic Angel
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2006, 09:06:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone stomp on them in one of the videos.  Might be a tech you learn later.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2006, 12:28:48 AM »

Quote from: "Harkonis"
I'm pretty sure I've seen someone stomp on them in one of the videos.  Might be a tech you learn later.

Yeah, because that's something you really need to learn the correct technique for.  We don't want freaking amateurs going around stomping zombie skulls incorrectly!   :wink:

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2006, 12:38:47 AM »

It's not like you'd have to learn how to do any of the stuff you have to learn.  It's a game... that's how it works.  It's not like I'd be in a mall full of zombies in the first place now is it? Tongue  Such negativity...
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2006, 12:44:55 AM »

Well, I gotta say that the demo has had the opposite affect on me.  I had it preordered and now won't be picking it up.  Just seems to simple and shallow for my tastes.  I got bored before I finished it.  Too bad as I love zombie stuff.  But I will rent it to play through once or as far as I can stand anyway.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2006, 03:22:52 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I got the weapon and went to town, but I was disappointed that it broke after like 2 dozen kills.

They just don't make katanas like they used to. biggrin

You can get an engineering book in the bookstore that makes weapons last three times as long while it's in your inventory.

Quote from: "metallicorphan"
but the lip sync was a bit dire

Lipsync is pretty obviously for the Japanese.  Guess they didn't bother to do it over for here.  Same thing in the N3 demo.

Quote from: "coopasonic"
if the story is interesting and engaging I could see myself playing, but not for the random slaughter the demo give you.

EGM's review this month says the story is pretty cheesy B-movie (though they lauded it for it's humor), so you probably won't like it.  The snippets that you get when you leave the demo (I found four different ones) seem interesting to me though.  

BTW, EGM says 7.5, 7.0, and 8.0.   The complaint common to all three reviewers is the save system - you only get one save slot!!!  And you have to hike to special areas like bathrooms to access it. Another guy mentions that boss battles are very tough and that the text is next to impossible to read on a standard def TV.

The good points they noted - all the obvious.  There's a picture of Frank holding a zombie's feet and spinning him around.  They say it's good fun to wear something silly like a Megaman mask before one of the dramatic cutscenes since they're all in-engine using your live character.  Also they say you get a car at some point, and that it's almost impossible to see all the game in one playthrough.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2006, 04:11:45 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"

I got the weapon and went to town, but I was disappointed that it broke after like 2 dozen kills.

They just don't make katanas like they used to. biggrin

You can get an engineering book in the bookstore that makes weapons last three times as long while it's in your inventory.

Note to self - visit bookstore right off to get said book.

Another fun weapon I found - the baseball bat. If you hold down the attack button, you'll go into a batter's stance. When released, you'll insta-kill any zombies near you with a resounding crack.

The skateboard is fun as well, but Tony Hawk you ain't. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2006, 04:42:17 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Another guy mentions that boss battles are very tough and that the text is next to impossible to read on a standard def TV.

i'll back this one up...most of it is damn near impossible to make out on my 25" SDTV.  i'd say that's one of the things with the 360 that does annoy me...not all developers remember to make their text legible for non-HD users.  Dead Rising is one of the worst i've seen so far though.
They say it's good fun to wear something silly like a Megaman mask before one of the dramatic cutscenes since they're all in-engine using your live character.

anyone else find the Lego head and put it on in the demo?  i spent one entire demo period slaughtering zombies as the a Lego man...cool in a strange way slywink

Also they say you get a car at some point...

IGN posted videos showing both a car and a motorcycle on their website yesterday.  the car looks like a blast...plows right through huge groups of zombies outside :twisted:

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2006, 01:36:38 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
anyone else find the Lego head and put it on in the demo?  i spent one entire demo period slaughtering zombies as the a Lego man...cool in a strange way slywink

Servbot, not Lego head. biggrin

I did that once (and found a basket with a generic teddy bear head too), but I can't find the bin anymore I pulled the Servbot head out of. I found the ones I can throw and put on other zombies, but not the wearable one.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2006, 06:57:29 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"

Servbot, not Lego head. biggrin

ok, you got me on that one...figured more people would know what i was talking about if i called it a 'Lego' head though Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2006, 08:50:23 PM »

Here's a FAQ I stumbled upon for the demo. Here's everything you need to know to enjoy the demo to its fullest:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/06/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-dead-rising-demo/

And yes, apparently you can kick the zombies when they're down. Hold X when you have no weapons armed. biggrin

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2006, 09:48:54 PM »

I did that once (and found a basket with a generic teddy bear head too), but I can't find the bin anymore I pulled the Servbot head out of. I found the ones I can throw and put on other zombies, but not the wearable one.

When you first start, go to the bookstore (immediate left) and then follow the left wall (after getting books) to the toystore with the heads. The rack behind the heads (its a display table that you can walk around) allows you to change clothes. thats where you get the servbot head.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2006, 12:11:39 AM »

Mmmm.. I love this game.
I am going to buy it this Wed for sure smile
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2006, 12:44:45 AM »

The first couple times I played this demo I didnt like it that much but it is starting to grow on me.  Its fun finding new weapons to use and it is enjoyable seeing how many zombies you can kill with one swing of a sword or one shot of a shotgun.  One thing that bugs me though, I thought if you saw something on a shelf you could pick it up but you can only pick up certain items.  Another nitpick, I wish environments were a little more destructible.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2006, 03:39:36 AM »

Do you get any allies? From everything I've read and seen it looks like it's all solo, but then I came across a screenshot of 3 humans in a car blasting away..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2006, 03:45:55 AM »

Rescue peds - I guess you can have 'em join up and fight along with you.  That's from what I can tell from the MULTIPLE trailers I've gotten on the Marketplace, anyway slywink

Preorder at your local GameStop - you get a cool brochure for the Willamette Mall complete with map biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »

Haven't played this to it's fullest yet, but I like the Guitar as a weapon since you do a 360 dgree head swipe, and I like throwing the cooking oil and watching the zombies slip. Gonna have to try this on some stairs next.

The golf club is ok, but some sort of targetting cursor would be nice. I also tried the shopping cart but couldn't get it in a push position, I could only swing or throw it.

The boomarang is also kinda fun. Hold the fire button down to make it more likely to come back to you.

Oh, almost forgot...You CAN kill zombies with CD's, it just takes a lot of them. Thankfully, they seem to be unlimited.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2006, 12:18:37 AM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
I also tried the shopping cart but couldn't get it in a push position, I could only swing or throw it.

Oh, almost forgot...You CAN kill zombies with CD's, it just takes a lot of them. Thankfully, they seem to be unlimited.

Stand right behind the shopping cart and then hit X. If it falls over, pick it up normally and drop it (d-pad down I think). Then you can get behind it again for more zombie running over action.

And for the CDs, you get 30 in a 'pack', and according to the FAQ I linked back up there, there's 11 packs in the demo store (if I remember right). Plenty for enough tossing action. Now, if he actually took the CDs out of the CD case, then they'd be a damaging weapon. biggrin

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2006, 08:00:08 AM »

I'm apparently in the minority here, but the demo left me unimpressed.  I've played it three times now, and each time quit after about 10 minutes out of boredom.  Killing zombies in myriad different ways did nothing for me.  <shrug>  Then again, I've never been into the whole zombie thing at all.  I'll keep trying, maybe the demo will grow on me like it did the poster above.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2006, 12:15:24 PM »

Interloper, I am like you, but I am into the whole zombie thing.  Still, the demo left me wanting more.  I wish they had taken a more serious tone or something instead of a GTA-esque sandlot for killing zombies.  Nothing interests me less.  I preordered it and will not be getting it after all.  

Maybe after some here get it, report back that there is much more to it than mindlessly killing hordes of easy easy EASY-to-kill slow-as-molasses dead people then maybe I will pick it up.  

Anxiously waiting and hoping for some great reports.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2006, 12:18:36 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Maybe after some here get it, report back that there is much more to it than mindlessly killing hordes of easy easy EASY-to-kill slow-as-molasses dead people then maybe I will pick it up.  

The demo takes place on one of the first cases, so I imagine the difficulty is fairly low at that point in the game.  I was never in danger of dying, myself, but I still had fun and I'm not really into zombies, either.  We'll let you guys know how the later stuff turns out.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2006, 08:58:48 PM »

I took a picture of a a zombie girl in a low-cut shirt and got an "erotic" picture bonus.  She was wearing a skirt so naturally when I killed her I took a pic of her legs and what not to see if that would warrant another bonus and it did.  Seems interesting.  Now go take some pics of zombieboobs!

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2006, 09:16:08 PM »

GameSpot's review is up: 8.4.

-Autistic Angel
depward

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2006, 09:59:23 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
I took a picture of a a zombie girl in a low-cut shirt and got an "erotic" picture bonus.  She was wearing a skirt so naturally when I killed her I took a pic of her legs and what not to see if that would warrant another bonus and it did.  Seems interesting.  Now go take some pics of zombieboobs!

You're all about zombieboobs, aren't you?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2006, 10:01:03 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Rats off to ya kind sir!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2006, 10:16:42 PM »

Rats off to ya kind sir!

Nono, RATS OFF TO YA!

btw new episode sunday night everyone is invited to come watch at my parent's house - last sunday's 'friendship alliance' was hilarious.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »

Uh... where are the impressions? Who got this already?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2006, 05:11:29 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
Uh... where are the impressions? Who got this already?

Trying to snag a copy after work.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2006, 05:18:14 PM »

I caved and I'm going to go pick it up in about an hour.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2006, 05:36:27 PM »

MMMhahahahaha!!!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2006, 06:05:13 PM »

Fry's sale price got me... bought it, not sure when I'll get to play it though. Manual is better than an EA manual but is all matter-of-fact, no style like I would expect from a zombie game manual.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2006, 06:56:37 PM »

Picked mine up at lunch with my Best Buy coupon.  $40, woot!  biggrin

I'll be zoning out on my couch tonight!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
depward

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2006, 07:15:42 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"

I'll be zombing out on my couch tonight!

Fixed that for ya   biggrin

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2006, 07:23:57 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"

I'll be zombing out on my couch tonight!

Fixed that for ya   biggrin

Muuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh... Brainnssssss......

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2006, 07:26:32 PM »

We all know this is going to be fun, but I humbly request that some of your initial impressions include whether it's a full $60 worth of fun, or wait for a sale/price drop amount of fun.  And please be gentle, I haven't much willpower.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2006, 07:34:21 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
We all know this is going to be fun, but I humbly request that some of your initial impressions include whether it's a full $60 worth of fun, or wait for a sale/price drop amount of fun.  And please be gentle, I haven't much willpower.

This is like $87 worth of fun... sweet zombiwe killin joy!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2006, 08:04:26 PM »

If I didn't have a coupon, I'd be waiting to pick it up either used or at a discount.  Yes, I'm apeshit crazy over zombie-killing action, but I'm really cautious about what I'm willing to plunk down $60 straight up for.  I've only done that for two 360 games so far:  PGR3 and Oblivion.  The others I've either picked up used or at a discount / with a coupon.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2006, 08:26:11 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Fry's sale price got me... bought it, not sure when I'll get to play it though. Manual is better than an EA manual but is all matter-of-fact, no style like I would expect from a zombie game manual.

So, it's out at $50? Sounds worth getting at that price.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: