http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 07:36:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Live] Dead Rising Demo!  (Read 4714 times)
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2006, 11:44:29 AM »

According to EvAv and Major Nelson, out now!  I am SO grabbing this after work.  I hope the hardware store is included.   :twisted:

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 12:20:01 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  Downloading right now.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »

YES!!!!!  Downloading.  Sucker's over 1 gig.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 12:46:34 PM »

Suhweet.  Thanks for the heads up!  I'll toss it on the front page.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 01:05:39 PM »

Man, I can't wait to get home.  And I really can't wait for Live Anywhere, so I don't have to wait for the download (which is going to be interrupted by Chromehounds and SFII).

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 01:48:37 PM »

IN!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 01:54:10 PM »

Read the 'demo description' when you pull it. In short, it reads that the game and the development team have nothing to do with Dawn of the Dead. Rather funny IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 02:06:47 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Man, I can't wait to get home.  And I really can't wait for Live Anywhere, so I don't have to wait for the download (which is going to be interrupted by Chromehounds and SFII).

Live Anywhere?   Are you serious?  That would rock!

I'll have to start downloading the demo tonight when I get home before work so it can hopefully finish up while I'm at dinner.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »

EYE EN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 02:35:38 PM »

Downloaded, but I think I have to wait for my little one to take a nap.  Unless anyone can think of a way to explain zombie decapitation to a three year old.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 02:57:39 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Downloaded, but I think I have to wait for my little one to take a nap.  Unless anyone can think of a way to explain zombie decapitation to a three year old.

What's to explain?  Zombie=bad.  Decapitated zombie=good.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 03:19:16 PM »

Quote from: "The Grue"
Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

What's to explain?  Zombie=bad.  Decapitated zombie=good.

Yeah, just use the 'if you're a bad boy/girl the zombies will come after you' line and it should be a good learning experience.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 03:39:33 PM »

I was beating up zombies with a giant stuffed teddy bear, then I was throwing CDs at them.  This game rules.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 03:40:05 PM »

Short answer:  It's good.

Longish answer:  The demo basically gives you a small area of the mall to run around in and play with all the toys.  They tell you there's a mission for you to do, but it ends the demo if you try to leave the immediate area they give you, so it looks like the demo's just zombie killin', which ain't a bad thing.

They start you off with a sledgehammer, scythe, and a shotgun.  The scythe can be used to lop off a zombie's head, or to sweep the legs off the group around you, which leaves them alive, but immobile.  The sledghammer does what sledgehammers do, as does the shotgun.  

There's a bunch of stores around to go into and take stuff from.  The sporting goods store offers bowling balls, which are good for zombie bowling.  There's also a golf club, which I thought was just a melee weapon, but eventually learned that it actually lets you thwack golf balls at the zombies, which is endlessly amusing.  You can also grab handfulls of CDs and jewels, which can also be hucked at zombies, but for almost no effect.  My favorite was the electric guitar, which can have its attacks chained into a combo.  Leading off with a jump kick, I was a guitar ninja.

You can also change your clothes.  At one point, I had my guy wearing a horse head mask and a way-too-small t-shirt and pair of hot pants.  It was like some kind of strange Village People furry kind of thing.

Clothing stores are also the source of coat hangars, which can be jammed into the zombie's mouth, and result in big points when you snap a photo of them.  Same thing with the lego heads that can be seen in the screenshots floating around the net.  The photo element reminds me of Fatal Frame, where you get more points if you take a picture of a zombie just as he's about to eat your face.

There were also some hints of other things, like cooking.  If you grab a frying pan, you can place it on the stove, which gets you a 50 point cooking bonus.  I also found a microwave and some cooking oil.  I haven't figured out if the oil is actually used for cooking, or if it's good for splashing on zombies (which I did do) and then lighting it (but I couldn't find a match).

Zombies were plentiful, and seemed to respawn, which is fine.  There definitely were repeat models, but it wasn't distracting, since most of the time they're mixed in a crowd, and you're usually busy whacking them or avoiding them.  Speaking of crowds, it was also fun to steal a shopping cart from the old lady zombie and use it to plow through crowds.  Can't wait for the lawnmower.  smile

So yeah, this is definitely still a day one purchase for me.  I wish the demo let you at least try one of the missions, but it did prove that even just whacking zombies at random should be a good time.  Thumbs up from me.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 03:43:25 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"

There were also some hints of other things, like cooking.  If you grab a frying pan, you can place it on the stove, which gets you a 50 point cooking bonus.  I also found a microwave and some cooking oil.  I haven't figured out if the oil is actually used for cooking, or if it's good for splashing on zombies (which I did do) and then lighting it (but I couldn't find a match).

The oil can be used for cooking.  You can mix things together to make food which gives you bonuses like increased running speed and stuff like that.  There is one mixture which I have read about that increases the power of your spit.  So, you can spit at zombies with it and it does damage.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 03:47:49 PM »

I can't wait to try this.  Is it just me or does this game seem like a very shallow game on the surface with something much deeper lurking below?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 03:49:28 PM »

Between bandwidth limitation and the fact that I don't really want to spoil the game for myself, I'll be holding off till I just grab the retail copy.

It's going to be a rough weekend.

(I did put a Dead Rising bumper-sticker on my car biggrin  Got it with a PlayAsia order...)

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 04:43:34 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
I was beating up zombies with a giant stuffed teddy bear, then I was throwing CDs at them.  This game rules.

Yeah, the stuffed teddy bear isn't a very effective weapon for obvious reasons. Still funny as hell whacking guys with it though. biggrin

Quote from: "Chaz"
You can also change your clothes.  At one point, I had my guy wearing a horse head mask and a way-too-small t-shirt and pair of hot pants.  It was like some kind of strange Village People furry kind of thing.

Clothing stores are also the source of coat hangars, which can be jammed into the zombie's mouth, and result in big points when you snap a photo of them.  Same thing with the lego heads that can be seen in the screenshots floating around the net.  The photo element reminds me of Fatal Frame, where you get more points if you take a picture of a zombie just as he's about to eat your face.

Personally, I wore one of the Lego heads (which is actually a very well known guy out of Capcom's area...one of the Mega Man adventure games had them all over the place - forgot the exact name) and was laughing as it became covered in zombie remains as I was hacking them away.

Didn't try the hanger thing though. Sounds like a riot.

And what are the PP points used for, anyway? I 'gain' them when actually killing a zombie (tap the attack button with the scythe to head shot them), and I can 'gain' more when I'm holding a certain book (all books are used this way BTW - just carry them for their benefits), but nothing seems to increase. I'm guessing another demo limitation.

The weapon I want to use personally is the one that you see if you visit the Movie Theater off to one side of the mall. Unfortunately the demo outright ends there if you visit the place.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 05:08:08 PM »

Servbot biggrin

<---- if you need a refresher, just check out my Live gamer picture biggrin  It's a zombie servbot!

(plus Servot's fun to play as in Marvel vs. Capcom 2)

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 05:11:51 PM »

Drat!  Wish I'd known this was up before I headed to work.  Fortunately I only have to be here for 45 minutes.  Then I shall be of the downloading.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 06:10:01 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Servbot biggrin

(plus Servot's fun to play as in Marvel vs. Capcom 2)

That's the name!

And yes, Servbot is nasty in MvC2. Doesn't do much normal damage, but boy do those supers hurt. And look funny. smile

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 07:15:26 PM »

Ah lets see.  What have I done so far.

I've used the golf club/balls, which is hilarious.  The hangar in the mouth.  I've also chopped off an arm, which dropped as "A hunk of meat", which you can then stuff into the mouth of a nearby zombie.  Shopping cart kicked ass, as did the bowling ball and baseball bat.  I found one of those push-brooms in the bathroom, which had tremendous range.  After the head broke off, I could use the handle as a spear.

I've thrown dishes, CDs and gems at zombies.  Ridden a skateboard into a bunch of zombies.

This game is alot of fun.  The demo is short, though.

Quote from: "Destructor"
[The weapon I want to use personally is the one that you see if you visit the Movie Theater off to one side of the mall. Unfortunately the demo outright ends there if you visit the place.

I found 3 places like that.  If you turn around from where you enter, you'll get a cutscene and demo ends.  Or you can go outside, and another cutscene and the demo ends.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 07:36:24 PM »

I downloaded it this morning and played it a bit before work. Lots and lots of fun! I am eagerly awaiting picking up my preorder next week....  smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »

Map of the Demo from SA.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 08:12:22 PM »

Honestly, I wasn't really looking forward to this game.  But hearing about everyone's impressions it seems like a ton of fun - lots of ways to kill zombies, very cool little effects that you can do, seems like I'll be playing my brother's copy when he gets it.

And yipes, that demo area is small!  That's crazy if people are finding a lot of cool stuff just in that small area!!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2006, 09:31:46 PM »

Katana location:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Go upstairs to the Starbucks place.  Colombian Roasters or something like that.  Go over to the railing in the seating area near the counter and look over.  You'll see an orange awning.  Jump over the railing and land on the awning.  Some coffee customer left their katana sitting there.

You can get some business done with that thing, I tell you what.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 09:40:03 PM »

Okay, that was a blast.  I definitely did the right thing in pre-ordering it and I was sad when the demo ended.  After reading some of the things you guys did that I didn't do, it shows me it will have some hidden little gems in it and this is just one area of the mall we got to explore.  Hooray for next week!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 09:48:36 PM »

Is it true that there are at least 5-6 endings you can get for the demo?  Dangit why am I not home yet?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 10:00:40 PM »

I think the PP points are used for level advancement in the full game (didn't seem to change at all in the demo).  Level advancement will, at the very least, give you more slots for item carrying.  I'm assuming it will increase your damage and speed as well.

I will find that Katana tonight. Thanks kathode!

Also have to try the coat hanger.  I love taking pictures of zombies that have green PPs over their heads (you need the right book to see PP values).  Usually they're falling down or walking into walls or have the masks on their heads.  Good points for that, especially if you line them up with a lot of zombies in the background.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 10:47:20 PM »

Demo was fun, but if there's not much else to do in the game, I could see it getting old after awhile.  I'll wait to hear some more on the game before buying.

The demo highlight for me was plopping a horse's head onto a zombie, then proceeding to run around in circles chucking gems and CDs at it.  Pure hiliarity.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 01:39:54 AM »

Quick question: how do you stuff something into a zombie's mouth?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 01:58:51 AM »

If you have something stuffable, you get close to the zombie, and hit the attack button.  If you're not close enough, you'll just swing it.  This is also how you get things on their heads.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2006, 03:32:22 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Katana location:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Go upstairs to the Starbucks place.  Colombian Roasters or something like that.  Go over to the railing in the seating area near the counter and look over.  You'll see an orange awning.  Jump over the railing and land on the awning.  Some coffee customer left their katana sitting there.

You can get some business done with that thing, I tell you what.

I got the weapon and went to town, but I was disappointed that it broke after like 2 dozen kills.

They just don't make katanas like they used to. biggrin

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 05:18:09 AM »

Must not have been a Hatori Hanzo original.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 05:20:54 AM »

didnt mind the demo,did get a bit repedative(sp?)after a while though,graphics were great,cut scenes were fantastic(the womans palms of her hands though were a bit freaky)...but the lip sync was a bit dire

i started the download and saw it was over a gig...so went to sleep for 3 hrs....got up looked at it,and it said 92%,LOL...either my connection or haevy traffic

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 02:55:37 PM »

The "On the Spot" video pumped me up, the demo let me back down... random killing does not appeal to me... if the story is interesting and engaging I could see myself playing, but not for the random slaughter the demo give you.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 03:38:12 PM »

What coop said.  I'll need a compelling story to go along with the slaughter.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »

I think the story has something to do with zombies taking over a shopping mall, but that's just my impression from the previews and demo. ;)
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006, 04:27:23 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
I think the story has something to do with zombies taking over a shopping mall, but that's just my impression from the previews and demo. slywink

The demo hints that saving people gives you cutscenes that may lead to more background or somesuch, but doesn't actually let you do any of it... that's the part I'm still clinging to. Also in the video, the guy was saying that mostly you are trying to avoid the zombies, which means you actually have something else to do... still a glimmer of hope.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2006, 04:38:02 PM »

I can't believe you can't hit a zombie on the ground.  They're just sitting there wiggling and you have to wait like 20 seconds for them to get up because you only have one basic attack.  For the love of god, let me kick their stupid fucking heads in!  

I also wish you could set it so that the angle when you hit the trigger for camera it would go in the same angle the virtual camera was looking and not the character.  It really makes it slow and annoying to have to get your slow-ass turned in the exact right direction for that limited view of the camera's picture finder.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: