http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 08:55:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Wildman from Gas Powered Games  (Read 739 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:02:52 PM »

Here's a link to the Kickstarter page.

This seems to be a hybrid RTS/RPG game, most likely something like DOTA. They've put all their faith into this campaign and readily admit that they'll probably keel over and go bankrupt if it fails. They're a company with a strong track record, and they've also gathered in the talents of Jeremy Soule for this game.

Too bad for them that I don't like any of their previous games. Not one. They just don't appeal to me, and in some cases (Dungeon Siege and Total Annihilation) I actively disliked them. Additionally, I've gone on record multiple times throughout the last 10 years or so, as a musician, saying that Jeremy Soule is a musical hack who's works are uninspiring and dull for the most part, though I will admit he did a good job with Skyrim. I'd rather companies spent their money on a musician who delivers every time instead of one who delivers one time out of ten. But then again, I know I'm in the minority with these opinions, so I guess this campaign has a decent chance of succeeding, and I always have respect for solid Kickstarter campaigns even if I'm not interested in the product. smile
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »

Mildly interested but I think I will hold off for a while.  The last game from Chris Taylor I enjoyed was Total Annihilation.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to be waiting to see more concrete details of the actual gameplay.  They have a lot of big ideas but they don't seem to the point where they know what the actual minute to minute flow will be.  Burning trees and exploding enemies are nice, but I don't have enough faith that they can find the fun in this mix.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »

I'm intrigued enough to bet $20 on it... they have a long ways to go to reach their goal though.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:34:58 PM »

I enjoyed Jeremy Soule's Morrowind theme, but I agree that he isn't all he's built up to be. As for Chris Taylor/GPG, I'm not into RTS's and Dungeon Siege was blah.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:56:40 AM »

Apparently GPG has had to lay off a lot of staff just to keep the doors open. 

Oh, and the video update from Chris Taylor, basically saying they didn't even plan far enough ahead to continue with the team through the end of the Kickstarter project.  He then asks for people to vote in the comments to continue the campaign or kill it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:16:59 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »

I would be a bit concerned about this one actually coming out if it makes the Kickstarter goal.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »

canceled.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:09 PM »

RPS had a pretty good interview with Taylor at DICE that went up yesterday as well, and what he talks about in there compared to this news kind of leads me to believe they may have gotten outside funding for a project.  Although I'm not sure how much of the team is still around since they've been out of work for more than 3 weeks.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »

Gas Powered Games has now been acquired by Wargaming, the makers of World of Tanks.  Once again, I have no idea what that means since most (if not all) of the team were let go, but it's an interesting development at least.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: