http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:03:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Unsung Story, spiritual successor to FF Tactics  (Read 538 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »

Kickstarter is up for a new turn-based JRPG from Yasumi Matsuno (the creator of FF XII, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre) and Playdek (who does fantastic ports of board games to iOS) with Sakimoto doing the soundtrack.

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians is the spiritual successor in a storied line of epic tactical RPGs designed by Yasumi Matsuno. Playdek is excited to be partnering with one of the most legendary game designers, as well as you the fans, to bring out a refreshing, immersive new take on the tactics genre. 

In the hands of the veteran tactical RPG master himself, Unsung Story will re-imagine a classic game genre, as Yasumi Matsuno weaves together one of the complex and rich game worlds that he is known for, with inspiring class based tactics game play.

eek eek  I just threw my goddamn wallet at the screen. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:01:19 AM »

I'm having trouble deciding what level to kickstart at.  FFT was one of my all-time favorite games, but I'm not sure how much of that is nostalgia vs. reality of how much I want to play that style of game now.  I still love the TBS genre, but I didn't really get into FFT the last couple of times I tried to restart it.

So... I'm torn between just casual support and something more substantial (i.e. alpha and beta testing) where I might actually be able to affect the gameplay.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:06:41 AM »

*throws his wallet at the screen too*
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:28:38 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 15, 2014, 01:01:19 AM

I'm having trouble deciding what level to kickstart at.  FFT was one of my all-time favorite games, but I'm not sure how much of that is nostalgia vs. reality of how much I want to play that style of game now.  I still love the TBS genre, but I didn't really get into FFT the last couple of times I tried to restart it.

So... I'm torn between just casual support and something more substantial (i.e. alpha and beta testing) where I might actually be able to affect the gameplay.

I have some of the same concerns, especially with my gaming time getting slimmer and slimmer each year.  Not sure if I have the patience or time to dive into a highly complex strategy title.  That said, I think I'm going to go in at a higher level for the first time ever in a Kickstarter.  Sakimoto created two of my favorite games of all time in FF Tactics and FF XII, and if that's not worth a little extra $$ support, I don't know what is.  smile

I just read the fine print that Alexander O Smith gets added to write the story at $900k (yay!), but Sakimoto doesn't get added unless they hit $1.3 million (boo).  Hopefully they get there...it gained over $5k in the time it took me to watch the 7 minute video, so it looks like they're off to a good start.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:09:44 PM »

I decided to go for a bigger pledge.  There wasn't an exact combo of rewards that I really wanted, but oh well. 

Last night I tried out a game that's currently on the NZ iOS store called Lionheart Tactics, and it reminded me how much I enjoyed the Tactics style of games.  Lionheart does quite a few things well, but there is a lot of room for improvement, and hopefully Unsung will be able to bring a "next gen" sensibility to the genre.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:47:54 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 15, 2014, 01:01:19 AM

Hell I just payed some of this last week....on my iphone.  I have bought it twice on the ps1, once on the PSP, once on the PS3 and once on the iphone smile.  It holds up well even if the controls on the ios version suck.  Take my opinion with a grain of salt per the above....

*throws wallet at screen*

*throws wife's purse at screen*

morlac00 on PSN
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:57:45 AM »

Did the $20 option. I really hate buying a game now that won't be out for a year or two. I want to play now. I like instant gratification.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 15, 2014, 06:09:44 PM

I decided to go for a bigger pledge.  There wasn't an exact combo of rewards that I really wanted, but oh well. 

That's my problem as well, as the rewards for higher tiers are very 'meh'.  I think I'm in for $80 though.eir

They're almost halfway there after two days, which I suppose is a good sign.

Last night I tried out a game that's currently on the NZ iOS store called Lionheart Tactics, and it reminded me how much I enjoyed the Tactics style of games.  Lionheart does quite a few things well, but there is a lot of room for improvement, and hopefully Unsung will be able to bring a "next gen" sensibility to the genre.

Thanks for the heads-up...I'll keep an eye out for this one.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »

This may very well be the first Kickstarter I do.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11:54 AM »

I'm in for $20. I hope we can choose the PS Vita version if there is one.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 03:24:40 AM »

In! So far I've backed Double Fine's, Star Citizen, Shadowrun, and Banner Saga.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »

Not sure this one's going to make it, as they're $120K short of the $600K goal with only 4 days to go.

That makes me all kinds of sad.   crybaby

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 12:38:29 AM »

*PR throws his wallet at the screen.*

*PR is broke at the moment, so wallet bounces immediately bounces off the screen, ricochet style.*

Damn.  icon_lol
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 03:51:31 AM »

Last 24 hours.  They need about 19k to get it funded.  They should make it if all the fence sitters get moving.  Tick tock.

Edit:  Well, that didn't take long.  I doubt they'll make any of the stretch goals, but they will get funded.  They did mention opening up paypal after the Kickstarter to try to reach some of the stretch goals. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 06:14:30 AM by Hrothgar » Logged

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »

Whew...  smile

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on February 14, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Last 24 hours.  They need about 19k to get it funded.  They should make it if all the fence sitters get moving.  Tick tock.

Edit:  Well, that didn't take long.  I doubt they'll make any of the stretch goals, but they will get funded.  They did mention opening up paypal after the Kickstarter to try to reach some of the stretch goals. 

The problem is the only way I will pay money on this is if they hit the Vita goal.  Would love this on a portable.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »

Well, you never know how many people out there don't feel comfortable with Kickstarter/Amazon Payments.  Here's what the devs said:

Quote from: Playdek
Again we want to reassure everyone that we will open up PayPal after this campaign ends and we are more than happy to prove going forward the value of the game through continued development progress updates.

We are confident that we will be able to build up more confidence in this game and reach all of the goals we set out to accomplish. This may happen quick after the campaign, or it might take a few months, but either way it is still possible.

So it's certainly still possible.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: