http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:15:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] Hero Academy Review and Discussion  (Read 4194 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »

http://www.robotentertainment.com/games/heroacademy

This little gem from Robot Entertainment (makers of Orcs Must Die, Halo Wars, and AoE 3) is possibly one of the best iOS games to date, and really just an outstanding game for the long haul regardless of platform.  Certainly for mobile asynchronous 1v1 gaming it's at the top of the list.

There's a little bit of magic in everything the game gives you, with enough simplicity that you can jump into a match immediately but also enough strategic and tactical nuance that every game you play ends up with some surprises and different challenges.

The game itself takes pieces from a number of other games: chess, Archon, Words With Friends (WWF), League of Legends (LoL), and any number of TBS "tactics" games.  The basic game is very simple, you play on a 9x5 grid, 1v1 (team v team), with at present a choice of 1 of 2 races (humans and elves).  Each team has a set of 25 different units, equipment, and spells.  From this set (which is fixed), you are randomly given 6 pieces at a time to work with, and like WWF if you use one it will be replenished until there's nothing left.  The goal is to either eliminate all of the opponent's units, or destroy his crystal(s).  The map has slight randomization in position of buff spots, crystal spots (either 1 or 2), and starting spots.  The buffs include offense and defense, as well as the most critical - a buff that allows much higher damage on the opponent's crystal.  Controlling those spots is often the key to winning a match.

The variance in what pieces you get when, on top of the map changes, make each match play out differently.  Some games have a distinct chess-like feel, while others are more of a free-for-all battle.  I've won a couple really quickly by getting some lucky combos early on, locking down the crystal buff and just taking out the opponent's crystal asap.  I've also lost a number where it came down to the last few units killing each other.

There are other nuances to the game that are just slightly different from conventional tactics games.  Each turn you get 5 moves.  A move can consist of either placing a unit in a starter spot, moving a unit, attacking with a unit, casting a spell, or placing equipment on a unit.  A really nice graphical touch is that if you place a piece of equipment on a unit, there's a small graphical change; very nice but subtle detail.  A big difference is that unlike most TBS games, you can use the same unit all 5 times if you so choose.  This allows you to do things like move, kill a unit and move back to a safe spot all in the same turn, completely frustrating your opponent.  Another nuance: when you knock a unit out, if it is not removed from the board, the opponent gets a chance to heal/rez it the next turn.  Removing a knocked out unit can be done in any number of ways: moving onto it, casting a fire spell to blow it up (humans), converting it to a demon (elves), eating it for more power (elf demon).  The "special" unit in each race also adds to the flavor.  Humans get a ninja who does great damage and can teleport (swap) to another unit's location.  So he can jump in, kill someone and swap with a strong defensive unit very easily.  Elves get a demon that if nurtured properly can become an almost unkillable machine.  Every time it absorbs a dead body, it gets stronger (until a maximum, of course).  

The other critical difference is that the player can completely undo his 5 moves at any time before "submitting" his turn.  This means you can try every possible combination of moves until you "get it right" before actual submission to your opponent.  This might seem a little like cheating, but it's an awesome system that prevents stupid mistakes from determining the outcome of a game.  Because in this game there really is no room for tactical errors.  One wrong position can allow the opponent to create a super unit, or leave a crystal open for easy destruction.

The LoL influence comes in the freemium model.  You can play 100% for free forever, but you'll only get to play the human race and your avatar will have a fixed set of limitations.  Many people, just like in LoL, will be perfectly happy with that.  For $0.99 you can also play the elven race, which is pretty much a no-brainer.  For a little more money you can unlock different colors for your units and/or different avatars.  Clearly there's a ton of room for money-making potential here.  Personally I would love to support these guys more, I really think the game is fantastic.

The one major thing you might feel is missing is any sort of AI mode or campaign.  Yes this is 1v1 multiplayer only, and that might be a turnoff to a number of folks.  There are times I really wish I could play just one more turn but all my games are waiting.  The good news is that it's pretty easy to get a game going (plus Kato is up all night!), and they are handling moves on their own servers, which seems to be a bit more capable than Game Center or Open Feint.  I think this will be advantageous over the long haul.  I really hope they catch on and do LoL like business, because this just seems like a wonderfully designed game in general, even beyond just the mobile gaming platform it was designed for.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »

You're going down!

(actually I just thought you always wanted to hear me say that)  ninja
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:03:57 PM »

Penny-Arcade gave it their seal of approval with the latest comic and front page, so I expect the game will do alright.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 18, 2012, 08:07:47 PM

The one major thing you might feel is missing is any sort of AI mode or campaign.  

This is what's kept me from buying this game.  It looks interesting and I'd love to support it, but have exactly zero RL friends (outside of GT folks...and we all know you're just figments of my imaginations) who game on iOS. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »

This thread finally got me to try this, and wow: all the hype is well deserved.

First off, I love that it ignores privacy-inept Gamecenter and has its own set of usernames. Makes it a lot easier and friendlier to play with random strangers.

The attention to detail is also really impressive. They could have just made a generic icon for buffs, but no, they took the time to make character model upgrades for each and every class, and the visuals also make it easy to spot at a glance if a soldier is buffed up and how. The way the crystals glow when you activate an extra damage tile also makes he game mechanics easier to understand and the game more visually appealing.

The turn redo option is also brilliant, helping not just to avoid mistakes, but to let pros min/max their move and let newbies feel free to experiment and try new tactics.

My only quibble is that there's no way to distinguish between people who want a quicker realtime match and those planning to takes hours and hours between turns (as per the latest penny arcade). I'd like to see them take a cue from Ascendancy and let you specify chess-like turn timer durations.

forgot to mention my username is: wonderpug
(shocker)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:46:07 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »

Name is jagg. Shoot me an invite if you want to play.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »

If one of your guys is unconscious, do you only have the following turn to revive them or do they stay like that until rezzed or destroyed, no matter how many turns? 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:17:13 PM »

This game sucks. I am playing my first game and my opponent is killing all my guys.  crybaby

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 19, 2012, 08:08:41 PM

If one of your guys is unconscious, do you only have the following turn to revive them or do they stay like that until rezzed or destroyed, no matter how many turns? 

I think it's one turn then they go away but I'm not sure.

I do think the Council Archer does a tad too much damage especially with the sword upgrade.  2 shots almost anything without even being on a damage upgrade.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »

This game sucks. Hark is going to kill me  crybaby

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 19, 2012, 08:28:28 PM

I do think the Council Archer does a tad too much damage especially with the sword upgrade.  2 shots almost anything without even being on a damage upgrade.

I think the council archer is on par with the elf necromancer, uberness-wise. Not just in our match, I'm having a heck of a time fighting off damage upgrade necromancers, and in games where I've had one I've won the match.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 19, 2012, 08:40:42 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on January 19, 2012, 08:28:28 PM

I do think the Council Archer does a tad too much damage especially with the sword upgrade.  2 shots almost anything without even being on a damage upgrade.

I think the council archer is on par with the elf necromancer, uberness-wise. Not just in our match, I'm having a heck of a time fighting off damage upgrade necromancers, and in games where I've had one I've won the match.

not sure I can agree.  Necro is good, don't get me wrong.  However the necro has shorter range AND much less damage per hit.  The advantage the necro has is the ability to put the deceased to rest with the summon ability.  

archer does 300 base, then 450 with sword and at 4 squares
necro does 200 base, then 300 with sword at 3 squares.  

edit to add that the archer does physical damage which dark elves can't increase resist to. Necro does magic damage and helms add resist to that for both factions.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:50:30 PM by Harkonis » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »

Just tested it and unconscious troops only last for the following turn.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:40:54 PM »

I think it's (relatively) early in terms of games played to really figure out if something is "unbalanced"/"overpowered" or if it's just another part of the game that needs to be considered and countered - essentially part of the learning phase.  Early on I thought that other elf chick was crazy OP.  I don't remember who did it but they would come in, kill my unit, absorb the body, and move all the way back and I'd be like WTF just hit me.  Now I take much more care in positioning, body blocking, defensive items, or having a healer in the wings.

Part of the game's design and appeal (and speed/pacing to finish games) IS the amount of offensive power to make sure the game moves along.  Ninja with a sword and scroll, or maxxed demon - insane.  Even the monk can be deadly when loaded up, especially if the opponent happens to be lined up and he's AoE.  Ouch!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 09:44:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 19, 2012, 12:17:39 AM

The one major thing you might feel is missing is any sort of AI mode or campaign.  

This is what's kept me from buying this game.  It looks interesting and I'd love to support it, but have exactly zero RL friends (outside of GT folks...and we all know you're just figments of my imaginations) who game on iOS. 

You can try it out for free, and the figments of your imagination to play with are plenty  nod

Rittchard
Harkonis
Kato
Skystride
Wonderpug
Jagg
Quizbo
Teggy
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »

Damn you. I don`t use my iPhone, but it looks like I might have to try this, and then complain that they don`t have it for WP7.5 yet.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 10:32:01 PM »

I started playing this yesterday and I'm hooked, although getting destroyed in just about every game.  Username is kathode.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 12:17:58 AM »

Was able to invite Kathode and Wonderpug for a game, but Teggy declined my invite..  icon_cry

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 12:23:50 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 20, 2012, 12:17:58 AM

Was able to invite Kathode and Wonderpug for a game, but Teggy declined my invite..  icon_cry

Yeah, I think I'm going to finish up the games I have and delete. Not my thing.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »

That Council archer is insane with the upgraded weapon.  Kato just took out my armored, upgraded Lich with two shots.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 12:58:35 AM »

The units I'm having the hardest time using well are:

The demon wraith thing the elves have.  I've got a couple active games where I'm making a dedicated effort to boost him up, but it's just so much work with so much risk compared to the instantly useful ninja on the other team.

The harpoon "Get over here!" guys on the elves.  On occasion they come in handy for pulling enemies off of power tiles, but the short range of their attack makes the opportunities limited.  They just seem far inferior to the archer gal.

---

I know the game just came out and all, but any chance they've mentioned when team #3 is due? 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 01:11:39 AM »

Just so ritt's sacrificial archer didn't totally die in vain, it looks like if you preemptively cast the buff scroll on a guy, then he dies, then you resurrect him, he retains the scroll buff.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 01:21:13 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 20, 2012, 12:58:35 AM

The units I'm having the hardest time using well are:

The demon wraith thing the elves have.  I've got a couple active games where I'm making a dedicated effort to boost him up, but it's just so much work with so much risk compared to the instantly useful ninja on the other team.

The harpoon "Get over here!" guys on the elves.  On occasion they come in handy for pulling enemies off of power tiles, but the short range of their attack makes the opportunities limited.  They just seem far inferior to the archer gal.

---

I know the game just came out and all, but any chance they've mentioned when team #3 is due? 
not sure, here are some early pics that Hark was able to send me

Semper Fidelis

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 01:39:53 AM »

leo8877 if anyone wants to fight.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 04:11:48 AM »

This game is too addicting. Had some
very close and hilarious matches with Rittchard

Semper Fidelis

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 12:06:44 PM »

Certainly for mobile asynchronous 1v1 gaming it's at the top of the list.

I saw this term mentioned in another forum for a different game.  Is "asynchronous" the cool new way to call "IGOUGO" or is there something else that I'm missing?
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »

Just got this.  Somebody please smack me around a bit!   (user name kadnod)

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 20, 2012, 12:06:44 PM

I saw this term mentioned in another forum for a different game.  Is "asynchronous" the cool new way to call "IGOUGO" or is there something else that I'm missing?

asynchronous is far from cool - it's a pretty standard term. Tongue I'd say IgoUgo is pretty silly. If we're going to dig up terms, perhaps we could call it a door game, much like what BBS's used to offer? biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »

If you want a game against someone who doesn't appear to be that good at this thing, my username is msteelers.

Be warned, I might take hours and hours between turns, even if I'm not sinking into a frozen lake.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »

OK fine...you convinced me.  I'm in as Gratch.  Should have some time to dig in later today.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 05:58:42 PM »

This game is great!  I started up a bunch of games with people.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »

Saw a bunch of invites...will get to them tonight.  Work blew up today and I haven't even had the chance to fire up a game yet!  frown

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 20, 2012, 01:02:13 PM

I saw this term mentioned in another forum for a different game.  Is "asynchronous" the cool new way to call "IGOUGO" or is there something else that I'm missing?

asynchronous is far from cool - it's a pretty standard term. Tongue I'd say IgoUgo is pretty silly. If we're going to dig up terms, perhaps we could call it a door game, much like what BBS's used to offer? biggrin

I don't like "asynchronous".  It's not very catchy and might only sound cool to nerds.  They should come up with something else.  hmm... TYT Games (Take your Turn/Time games).
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 07:13:09 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 20, 2012, 07:03:07 PM

Quote from: Purge on January 20, 2012, 01:02:13 PM

I don't like "asynchronous".  It's not very catchy and might only sound cool to nerds.  They should come up with something else.  hmm... TYT Games (Take your Turn/Time games).

quick, trademark it!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »

How exactly is TYT pronounced?  Is it "tight" or "tit"?!??!

Still loving the game, I love how some matches are tight and chess-like while others are free for all killing.  And nothing like getting a taste of Kato's balls, it drives him nuts!!!  Oops I meant his crystals!  Don't forget to use the in-game chat for taunting, crying, whining, planning on how to beat Hark, etc - adds a bit of flavor to the game smile

Looks like Dwarves is the third race from those early pics...  I'm guessing Orcs or something at some point too?

They twittered they've run their 1 millionth match, so they must be doing OK so far.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 07:48:25 PM »

aSYNC? (kinda like N-SYNC Tongue)

How about HFUBIWKY?

Spoiler for the ackranimm:
Hurry the F*** Up-Because I Wanna Kill You

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 20, 2012, 07:41:12 PM

How exactly is TYT pronounced?  Is it "tight" or "tit"?!??!

Hark likes playing with TYTs  icon_twisted
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »

Basically my Wraith is eating Pug's whole team this match  icon_twisted

Semper Fidelis

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »

Could you find some bigger images?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 08:21:41 PM »

Dude your Wrath is eating my whole team too!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: