http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 02:35:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Impressions] Ninja Gaiden 2  (Read 6667 times)
spigot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »

No, I didn't pick up my copy yet  icon_razz. But if you did, here's your chance to post your impressions! What were you expecting, my actual impressions?

Seriously though, I'm kind of on-the-fence with this one. I tried to like the first one but I ragequit so many times that I just gave up at one point and never looked back. Either my gaming skills, my patience, or both have declined greatly in my older age.

From the reviews I've seen it looks to be pretty much more of the same, but bloodier and gorier.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:27:35 PM »

I'm personally surprised at some of the low scores it's getting and very surprised that gamespot, who usually trip over themselves with praise for 360 games, only gave it an 8. Based on some of the reviews I've read the biggest criticisms seem to be in the area of camera control and degree of difficulty. I'm not surprised about the difficulty as it's a NG tradition, just surprised that some review sites are taking exception with it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:48:15 PM »

i was going to make a thread yesterday on my impressions of the demo,but then i thought that the actual game would prolly already be out over your way

1st -i hate hack and slash/combo games..because i am usually crap
2nd- i was crap at ninja gaiden 1,so gave up

take the above into account...but

i really liked the demo,yes some of the combos were lost on me,and i think the demo was on easy mode because i actually got through the demo but i still,liked it alot,lots of decapitations,blood and amputees

just press RT for the camera to swing round and reset itself behind you

got the bigass weapon half way through and just owned everything and everyone

some combos were easy,press Y+B for devastating attack,hold Y to charge attack and sit back for a few moment while Ryu kicks the ever loving crap out of everyone

demo took me about 15-20minutes(and just over 20 minutes to download..at over 800mb),decent enough cutscenes..and i think there is a choice on the demo if you want Japanese voices and English subtitles or english voices..(i opted for English language AND English subtitles,as i am deaf  icon_lol  )

if it weren't for :
lego indiana jones
metal gear solid 4
guitar hero aerosmith

i would seriously think of getting this

as it is though,i will be downloading the ninja gaiden black xbox original this weekend(as i heard its the version with the easier setting...something to do with a dog....??)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 07:56:56 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 04, 2008, 07:27:35 PM

I'm personally surprised at some of the low scores it's getting and very surprised that gamespot, who usually trip over themselves with praise for 360 games, only gave it an 8. Based on some of the reviews I've read the biggest criticisms seem to be in the area of camera control and degree of difficulty. I'm not surprised about the difficulty as it's a NG tradition, just surprised that some review sites are taking exception with it.

Gamespot's review for the first Ninja Gaiden game was done by Greg Kassavin, who left Gamespot a while ago. Greg is a big fan of fighting games and his review reflected that. I think once his review came out it prevented a lot of other reviewers from howling about the game's high difficulty. With Kassvin no longer around, there aren't many reviewers (or gamers) left who appreciate fighting games and can judge the game from that standpoint. In fact, I bet some reviewers are scoring NGII higher than they normally would because of the high marks for the original.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »

Is there a ninja dog mode?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »

It's asskickingly awsome. How's that for impressions!

There is an 'easy' difficultly level, but so far I'm playing on normal. Difficulty is not bad so far, but I was a huge fan of NG1 and played it religiously for over a year (Master Ninja rating on all levels on the highest difficulty setting!).

It seems to improve on the originals (NG1, Black, Sigma) in meaningful ways. The addition of dismemberment + obliteration techniques is awsome. Ridiculous amount of moves for each weapon, and animations are highly varied (different body parts missing result in different obliteration techniques, and each weapon has its own set of techniques). Menu system is well done, and gives you a 'quick swap' option along with the standard 'Start' menu.

Framerate so far has been outstanding and the graphics are a great upgrade over the original (haven't played much of Sigma so can't compare here).

So far the main complaint's I've heard are 1.) difficulty and 2.) camera.

I can understand the difficulty complaints, but NG was never meant to be a hand-holding game. You have to really work at becoming good. Yeah it sounds kind of crappy, but once you master some skills, its amazingly fun to shred enemies left and right without breaking a sweat. As for the camera, it seems to be the exact camera from the previous games, which is fine by me. It works amazingly well once you get the hang of hitting right trigger often to reset the view behind you. Sure it might require a bit of 'baby sitting', but the camera reset function is really all I needed in the previous game to get by. I think its alot better than some games that force you to pan the camera around slowly to view the fight. Basically all you have to do is hit RT, and you'll get a view where you can see all the action.

So, summary: if you liked the first, go get this now!

ninja
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 09:55:26 PM »

I don't think the difficulty complaints stem from a lack of "hand-holding".  I've never considered a lack of clear direction to be a source of difficulty.  And while I experienced "that moment" when all became clear in the original and I was able to shred my way through enemy after enemy, I eventually reached a point of such insane difficulty that the game ceased to be fun.  I still wonder how anyone was able to finish the original, as I am far from being a novice video game player and yet I found NG's difficulty to be off the charts.  If this is more of the same, then it's an easy pass for me.  I have too little time for video games as it is to squander it on experiences that are more frustrating than fun.  If I want frustration I can go to work.  I don't need a game providing further frustration at home.

Can anyone verify if there is a difficulty setting?  I have no problem wearing a pink armband throughout the game as I enjoy pink and can accept my video game limitations.  I continue to wonder if it is worth my time to go back and play Ninja Gaiden: Black on Ninja Dog mode as I really liked the game, but I worry that it may still be too much for my sugarcookie-ass to handle.  Fabulous

In the original I reached a boss character consisting of two giant tubeworms in a cave and was never able to go any farther.  I fought those fuckers more times than I can count, and I died so many times that my wife to this day imitates the "u-ah u-ah u-ah u-ah" sound made when the game would transition to the "game over" screen.  She thought she was pretty funny.  Up until we had to buy a new controller. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:05:36 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 09:58:04 PM »

Sounds like madpeon and I are on the same page.

I was never a masterninja guy on all levels, but I was pretty good.

NG1 is my favorite game from the XB1s life and I can't wait to play the second...and I will someday.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 04, 2008, 09:58:04 PM

NG1 is my favorite game from the XB1s life and I can't wait to play the second...and I will someday.

Apparently, it sounds like you can wait.

gellar
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 10:15:20 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 04, 2008, 09:55:26 PM

I have too little time for video games as it is to squander it on experiences that are more frustrating than fun.  If I want frustration I can go to work.  I don't need a game providing further frustration at home.

I absolutely could not say it better.  My sentiments 1000%. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on June 04, 2008, 10:15:20 PM

I have too little time for video games as it is to squander it on experiences that are more frustrating than fun.  If I want frustration I can go to work.  I don't need a game providing further frustration at home.

I absolutely could not say it better.  My sentiments 1000%. 

What upsets me is I loved the original.  Up until I reached a boss character that practically reduced me to tears.  And costed me a $50 Xbox S-controller.  I can understand having a steep learning curve that rewards players for finally grasping the primary focus of gameplay (utilizing the main character's ninja abilities to your advantage), but the developers took pride in punishing players (I found myself waiting for the diabolical "muhuhahahaha" after any sound byte or interview, but it never seemed to come), and I find that to be a bit offensive.  Is it too much to ask for a game to be challenging and fun?  Because I get the impression from Ninja Gaiden developers that they understand these two ideas to be mutually exclusive.  While subjecting gamers to obscene levels of difficulty and frustration may be fun for the developers, it certainly isn't fun for me.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »

Well, part of my reasoning is that learning when to attack, block, counter, and dodge were part of the learning curve. IIRC, the double worm boss required lots and lots of movement and precise strikes rather than just knowing the combos.

NG2 feels much the same way. You have to get a feel for the flow of the game so you're not trying to attack when you should be dodging, etc.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 10:37:22 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 04, 2008, 10:00:29 PM

Quote from: ATB on June 04, 2008, 09:58:04 PM

Apparently, it sounds like you can wait.

gellar

I have shellshocked my wallet by buying a ps3, psp, MGS4 LE, Uncharted, and a DS3 controller this week.  Not can wait, must wait.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 10:45:04 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on June 04, 2008, 10:33:15 PM

Well, part of my reasoning is that learning when to attack, block, counter, and dodge were part of the learning curve. IIRC, the double worm boss required lots and lots of movement and precise strikes rather than just knowing the combos.

NG2 feels much the same way. You have to get a feel for the flow of the game so you're not trying to attack when you should be dodging, etc.

I think I remember a few ridiculous attacks from the worm boss that were almost impossible to dodge or evade, and while I could determine when to dodge and when to attack, there were still times when there didn't seem a way to avoid taking damage, and it was a lot of damage.

I want to play NG2.  But without an easier (or more reasonable) difficulty setting, the sedomasochistic developers have alienated one more fan.   icon_frown

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 10:57:27 PM »

my biggest problem with ng sigma - while the combat was doable (if nasty), i just lost interest in both ryu & the story about 2/3 of the way thru. definitely, for me, anyway, the type of game where you've gotta kinda care about what's going on if it's gonna be worth it, & i just didn't after a while...

(not that i won't be getting this if once it's ported smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 11:00:34 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 04, 2008, 10:45:04 PM

Quote from: madpeon on June 04, 2008, 10:33:15 PM

I think I remember a few ridiculous attacks from the worm boss that were almost impossible to dodge or evade, and while I could determine when to dodge and when to attack, there were still times when there didn't seem a way to avoid taking damage, and it was a lot of damage.

I want to play NG2.  But without an easier (or more reasonable) difficulty setting, the sedomasochistic developers have alienated one more fan.   icon_frown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmGtxVhufvQ

Makes it looks easy!  ninja2
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 11:28:01 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on June 04, 2008, 09:20:03 PM

So far the main complaint's I've heard are 1.) difficulty and 2.) camera.

what about in-mission loading?  that would seriously piss me off if it really is in the final retail release

difficulty is not an issue to me whatsoever, and the camera doesn't bother me too much as long as it isn't worse than the first game's
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 12:10:58 AM »

Not too far in but so far I think its a few seconds every now and again when you open a door or something similar. Didn't notice it while I was playing, so I couldn't say one way or another as to whether it made it to the final version.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »

Well said Pete.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 01:14:11 AM »

I have 2 questions, 'cause I'm more on the fence than I thought I'd be.  How long are the levels, and how easy is Easy?  If the game is harder than Black or Sigma on Ninja Dog, them I'm out.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:16:32 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 02:02:44 AM »

What a bunch of softees on this board.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 02:10:33 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 05, 2008, 12:24:24 AM

Well said Pete.

And you people play Rock Band on expert. retard

Sorry, had to be said. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 02:24:27 AM »

Quote from: Purge on June 05, 2008, 02:10:33 AM

Well said Pete.

lol, good point

you hypocrite Gratch!!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 02:31:26 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on June 05, 2008, 02:24:27 AM

Quote from: Purge on June 05, 2008, 02:10:33 AM

Well said Pete.

lol, good point

you hypocrite Gratch!!!

When you're this good, Rock Band ceases to be frustrating.   icon_cool  (I keed, I keed...)

In all seriousness, Rock Band doesn't even really register as a game to me anymore.  It's more like drum practice that's more fun that playing my actual kit downstairs.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »

Does anyone know if there's going to be a demo?  I don't think that this sounds like my kind of game.  Yet...  GT effect is strong.  I still have quite a ways left to go in GTA4, so it will be a few weeks before I would make a purchase, but I'd like to get a feel for the game if I could.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 11:53:34 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 05, 2008, 11:30:30 AM

Does anyone know if there's going to be a demo?  I don't think that this sounds like my kind of game.  Yet...  GT effect is strong.  I still have quite a ways left to go in GTA4, so it will be a few weeks before I would make a purchase, but I'd like to get a feel for the game if I could.

You have no need of NG2. You have need solely of downloading the BF:BC demo and purchasing the full product.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »

<sigh>

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 04:01:59 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »

I thought the demo was dropping this week, but I think Major Nelson said it was delayed.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:18:14 PM »

for a change North America seems to be the last place for the demo,it has been released in both Europe and Japan already....surely it will be today or tomorrow for you guys

EDIT:but the battlefield:bad company(single and MP in one i think) and civilization revolution demos are now up
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 04:20:08 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 06:14:11 PM »

My impression so far is that people who thought the X-Box / PS3 Ninja Gaiden was too challenging is going to have a very positive reaction to the sequel.  The two difficulty settings available by default appear to translate into "Easy" and "Easier," and if there's an even lower "Ninja Dog"-style setting that unlocks by dying too many times in the first level, I suspect the bad guys simply commit hara-kiri when you draw your sword.

This is because of a number of specific gameplay changes:

1) Ultimate Techniques are easier to execute and even more powerful than the first game.  They charge more quickly, are harder for the enemy to interrupt, and due to the larger number of enemies in each encounter, tend to inflict crippling damage to many foes at once.

2) Depending on your enemy's weapon type, different combos will lop arms and legs off of black ninjas and leave them open to Obliteration Attacks.  These instant-kill moves are accomplished by simply pressing 'Y' next to a dismembered enemy, and like Ultimate Techniques, will often deal heavy damage to other nearby targets.

3) Particularly devastating moves like the Flying Swallow are now available from the start, require less precision to execute, and get even *more* powerful as you upgrade your weapons.  It isn't uncommon to decapitate two or three black ninjas in a single attack, opening the door for you to start chaining together Ultimate or Obliteration techniques to start a wholesale massacre of all their buddies.

4) In addition to regenerating hit points, save points and life bar extenders ("Life of the Thousand Gods") are now also healing items which will fully restore your life bar.  The yellow essence currency is also much easier to stockpile thanks to the higher enemy count and the fact that Ultimates generate even more, so weapon upgrades and healing items are even more affordable.

None of this is to say that Ninja Gaiden II is a poor game -- it's just nowhere near as demanding as its predecessor.  The first boss monster went down so fast, I actually restarted the game from the beginning to make sure I hadn't accidentally chosen the lower difficulty.  If you're one of the people who shied away from this game because the first one was too tough, I'd really recommend giving it a shot.

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 05:27:26 PM »

The 360 demo is out in America now, BTW.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 12:30:17 AM »

Just tried the demo and its fricking awesome. Acolyte is a little easy even though I suck at these games, so I am going to try warrior-I may go out and finally break my game buying moratorium and pick this up.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 04:24:13 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 06, 2008, 06:14:11 PM

None of this is to say that Ninja Gaiden II is a poor game -- it's just nowhere near as demanding as its predecessor.  The first boss monster went down so fast, I actually restarted the game from the beginning to make sure I hadn't accidentally chosen the lower difficulty.  If you're one of the people who shied away from this game because the first one was too tough, I'd really recommend giving it a shot.

[raises hand] I thought I was doing ok in Sigma, even enjoying it, until I got to the first boss that is. I retried that more times than I care to remember, lost interest and moved on to something else... fickle gamer that I am. With NG2, I'm finding it much more accessable. Sure, I'm gonna stick with walking the Path of the Acolyte, but I'm having fun with it. Deep into the second chapter now, gotta get back into it.  icon_biggrin

Thanks to Autistic Angel for listing the gameplay changes, it got me to actually try this one after having the same concerns of frustration that Pete posted.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »

Now I just want to hear how long the game is.  If it reaches near 15 hours then I will have no choice but to go buy it.  6-10 and will wait for price drop. 

My mouth is watering though.  Keep em coming guys.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on June 08, 2008, 04:52:43 PM

Now I just want to hear how long the game is.  If it reaches near 15 hours then I will have no choice but to go buy it.  6-10 and will wait for price drop. 

i just started playing the game and spent about 40 minutes going through the first chapter out of fourteen on the harder difficulty level.  i felt like i was making pretty good time and managed to avoid dying and having to repeat anything.  as long as the levels keep that same approximate length, i'd say the game should be good for between 10-15 hours...longer if you die and restart a lot.

as for my initial impressions,  NG2 plays almost identical to first game...blazing fast action (which seems faster than ever), great graphics/animation, and an annoying camera.  while quite a few reviews have really ripped into the camera problems, i haven't noticed it being any worse than the last time around, but you do have to be mindful of what might be happening outside your view or around the next corner.  i'm just scratching the surface of the game, however, and the camera situation might be worse later.  the difficulty is reasonable on the Warrior difficulty (the harder of the initial two choices)...challenging, but manageable thanks to the refilling health meter and frequent save points that refill your health.  i came close to death a couple times, but the fight ended soon and my health regenerated.  the only time i used a health item in the first level was against the boss.  as for the fighting, it's pretty much identical to NG1.  most of the old combos that i remember are still available, along with quite a few new options, so it was easy to jump right into the action.  i picked up the Lunar staff in the first level, but i haven't actually tried it out yet...never used much other than the dragon sword in the last game either.  having left a blood-drenched trail of destruction through the first chapter, i have to say i'm very happy so far...not a groundbreaking game, but more of the same action and attitude i loved so much about Ninja Gaiden. 

now if you'll excuse, i'm off to slash my way through Chapter Two ninja

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »

Quote from: disarm on June 08, 2008, 09:57:21 PM

Quote from: mikeg on June 08, 2008, 04:52:43 PM

i just started playing the game and spent about 40 minutes going through the first chapter out of fourteen on the harder difficulty level.  i felt like i was making pretty good time and managed to avoid dying and having to repeat anything.  as long as the levels keep that same approximate length, i'd say the game should be good for between 10-15 hours...longer if you die and restart a lot.

as for my initial impressions,  NG2 plays almost identical to first game...blazing fast action (which seems faster than ever), great graphics/animation, and an annoying camera.  while quite a few reviews have really ripped into the camera problems, i haven't noticed it being any worse than the last time around, but you do have to be mindful of what might be happening outside your view or around the next corner.  i'm just scratching the surface of the game, however, and the camera situation might be worse later.  the difficulty is reasonable on the Warrior difficulty (the harder of the initial two choices)...challenging, but manageable thanks to the refilling health meter and frequent save points that refill your health.  i came close to death a couple times, but the fight ended soon and my health regenerated.  the only time i used a health item in the first level was against the boss.  as for the fighting, it's pretty much identical to NG1.  most of the old combos that i remember are still available, along with quite a few new options, so it was easy to jump right into the action.  i picked up the Lunar staff in the first level, but i haven't actually tried it out yet...never used much other than the dragon sword in the last game either.  having left a blood-drenched trail of destruction through the first chapter, i have to say i'm very happy so far...not a groundbreaking game, but more of the same action and attitude i loved so much about Ninja Gaiden. 

now if you'll excuse, i'm off to slash my way through Chapter Two ninja

So, you're saying it's fun then?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 10:09:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 08, 2008, 12:30:17 AM

Just tried the demo and its fricking awesome. Acolyte is a little easy even though I suck at these games, so I am going to try warrior-I may go out and finally break my game buying moratorium and pick this up.

I did.  I traded in four low rent games for about $40 credit and paid the difference.  Just couldn't stand not having it after the demo. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »

I'm fighting my way through the sixth chapter now. Unlike Disarm I'm a hardcore Lunar Staff user. I haven't touched the dragon sword since I got it. For some reason I found the staff more effective than the sword and stuck with it. It has relatively easy to remember combos, a sweet jump attack which often decapitates enemies in one swing, and on top of that it looks pretty badass once upgraded. At this point in the game I have 5 different weapons to choose from, and nothing really compares IMO.

The game is far from perfect. The graphics aren't really impressive, for starters. There are a lot of very bland textures and the levels are full of invisible barriers which restrict your movement. I've also run into a few game stopping bugs, such as critters getting stuck in impossible to reach places, even though you need to kill them to trigger the next sequence. The story so has also been pretty weak, with some impressive but ultimately random and nonsensical bosses breaking up the hack and slash action.

Having said that, it's keeping me glued to the screen. There is a true feeling of tension at all times, since even common enemies can easily kill you if you don't pay attention. I finished the first Ninja Gaiden a couple of years ago and didn't find it too difficult. But for some reason this game can be pretty challenging to me (mostly some bosses) even on the acolyte level of difficulty. Maybe I've just gotten worse at this type of game. Anyway, it's a lot of fun, so this gets a thumbs up from me.

/disorganized rant
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 12:10:14 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on June 08, 2008, 10:08:34 PM

So, you're saying it's fun then?

yep...through chapter 2 now and still having fun.  the boss at the end of that chapter was a pain in the ass, but still not the level of frustration i had with NGB (which i did absolutely love despite the difficulty).  i'm probably going to start mixing up my weapon usage a little now just to check out the new stuff...might even stick with something else if i like them enough.  there are just so many combos to do with each weapon that it's hard to learn more than one well though.

Quote from: Lord Percy on June 08, 2008, 10:24:20 PM

The game is far from perfect. The graphics aren't really impressive, for starters. There are a lot of very bland textures and the levels are full of invisible barriers which restrict your movement. I've also run into a few game stopping bugs, such as critters getting stuck in impossible to reach places, even though you need to kill them to trigger the next sequence. The story so has also been pretty weak, with some impressive but ultimately random and nonsensical bosses breaking up the hack and slash action.

the invisible barriers are a little annoying, but it's not a gamebreaker by any means.  i haven't come across any of the bugs you mention yet, but i was a little surprised by some of the slowdown i experienced in chapter 2...not enough to disrupt combat, but it did stutter or have some image tearing on a few occassions.  what i do find annoying, however, are the poorly placed loads...not a lot of them, but a couple already at very annoying times.  i've been right in the middle of a combo a few times and been interrupted by the screen freezing while something loads for a few seconds because we stepped too close to the next area...very bad form in my opinion.  they're not game-ruining issues, but it's not something i really expected out of such a high profile game.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 03:39:05 AM »

Well, finished it on Warrior.  Had some major points of frustration towards the very end, but well worth it.  Can't decide whether to play a new game on New Game+ or start another game on Mentor difficulty.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: