http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 08:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Impressions] Grid  (Read 3467 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2008, 02:31:00 AM »

I know there was a big, huge thread about it but no proper impressions thread upon release.

Did 3 races while watching the last hockey game of the year and all I can say is that it's a lot of fun!

I'll let the experts take it from here...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:36:38 AM »

There are supposedly big time lockups happening with the 360 version.  I'm really anxious for the game, so I may get it anyway and wait for a patch.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:30:24 AM »

I had to pick up LEGO Indiana Jones so I didn't get a chance to buy this one yet.  Maybe this weekend after payday. 

I haven't read anything about those major lockups on the 360, but hopefully it's not too widespread and can get fixed quickly. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:26:17 AM »

Apparently, it has to do with bad sectors on some HDs (there have been some issues with the PC version, as well).

Codemasters said a patch should be out in the next few weeks, if not sooner.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=143964

Here's the original post I saw, with some video examples about halfway down the page: http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1484670#post1484670

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:54:27 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 05, 2008, 03:36:38 AM

There are supposedly big time lockups happening with the 360 version.  I'm really anxious for the game, so I may get it anyway and wait for a patch.

I played the 360 version for 2 hours this afternoon and I saw no problems whatsoever.  Love the game though. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:38:21 AM »

Quote from: Devil on June 05, 2008, 02:31:00 AM

Did 3 races while watching the last hockey game of the year and all I can say is that it's a lot of fun!

Is it hard to play?  Can we race against each other?  Is it better than Forza?  Should I get it?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »

Is it hard to play?  Can we race against each other?  Is it better than Forza?  Should I get it?

No. I think so. Yes. Yes.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »

I was just thinking about this game today. Seems to have been quite a quiet release.

I've posted in the PC section http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,27250.msg420859.html as I have no xbox or ps3

Anyone got the PC version?

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »

Got it for the PS3. Love the game, still suck at drifting. And even though they have my name in their list, it never gets old being called 'Dumptruck'. Or 'Crash', which was much more appropriate last night.  icon_smile

I've seen some usenet posts from folks having a blast with the PC version, csipga I believe.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »

Picked up my copy yesterday as I've been craving a new racer for the 360. I haven't started the career mode but just tried each of the quick-race "Race Day" events. I have to say I'm liking it a lot. No lock-ups or performance issues yet (fingers crossed).

I really like the variety of different race types you can participate in. I think it strikes a good blend of both arcadiness and "sim-ness" without delving too deeply into either. It's arcadey in the sense that there is only a limited selection (45) of cars to choose from and you can't tweak every infinite detail of your car based on telemetry reports but it's like a simulation in the aspects of realistic car damage and racing tactics.

The graphics are stunning. Love watching the replays and noticing all the small details of your car as it bounds around the track. The Flashback is a novel idea. Haven't used it too much but it's pretty cool to be able to rewind POP-style to re-do that nasty hairpin you totally blew. I'm also happy to report the AI not having super-cheap rubber band intelligence (which I really hate). They could've enhanced the arcadiness and easily made the other AI racers really cheap but I've seen the other racers use different drafting, passing and positioning tactics in races. It also never gets old to look in your rearview to see some AI racer mess up a turn and cause a big pileup behind you.

All in all, I'm really happy with it so far. Can't wait to race some of you who have the game as well. And for a guy who claims his nickname is "Drift King", I've been a doing a great job of drifting into nothing but walls and other cars  icon_lol

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 01:41:52 PM »

How is the AI in general?  Do they have a slot-racer connection to the line or do they intelligently adapt?  Do they ram you unprofessionally...or if they're supposed to be ramming you for the style of racing, is it still fun or do they annoying ram you into a wall so you lose the race in the last turn?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 01:56:08 PM »

AI seems widely varied from what I've seen.

I like the AI on AI crashes when they are ahead of you and you need to drive by and avoid the wreckage.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »

I would LOVE to play this but im in a huge gaming slump and don't play what I have already damnation and hellfire.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 05, 2008, 02:38:42 PM

I would LOVE to play this but im in a huge gaming slump and don't play what I have already damnation and hellfire.
"Damnation," "Hellfire," and "Damnation and Hellfire" would all make excellent game titles.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 05, 2008, 02:55:41 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 05, 2008, 02:38:42 PM

"Damnation," "Hellfire," and "Damnation and Hellfire" would all make excellent game titles.

If "Damnation and Hellfire" doesn't sound like a new Bruce Willis Die Hard movie, I don't know what does.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 05:02:33 PM »

I wasn't aware that this game didn't have split-screen multiplay until I read some of the reviews. I was more or less sold on it, but not having an offline mplay mode means I can't race head -to- head with my son and nephew. I've more or less reached my quota for non-offline mplay racers with my recent purchase of DiRT. I may still get this, but I'll likely pass and go with a different game for my next racing title.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:17 AM »

A relatively good 7 minute video review from Gametrailers if anyone is interested.  It's not the most in-depth review on the block, but it's entertaining:

LINK

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »

I just checked out the demo, with the gamepad rather than with my wheel.  2 questions:

First I assume it supports the wheel, correct?  I mean, it would be stupid if it didn't.

Second, I was thrown by the shift controls on the gamepad and found that the demo wouldn't let you change the controller configuration.  Does the retail version allow you to change the controller config?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 06, 2008, 11:23:59 AM

I just checked out the demo, with the gamepad rather than with my wheel.  2 questions:

First I assume it supports the wheel, correct?  I mean, it would be stupid if it didn't.

Second, I was thrown by the shift controls on the gamepad and found that the demo wouldn't let you change the controller configuration.  Does the retail version allow you to change the controller config?

Yes you can edit your controller any way you want.

I got the PS3 version and using the DFP wheel and it is awesome.  They really nailed the controls this time.  I can actually drift in the game.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 07:13:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure even the demo supports the 360 wheel (at least according to Major Nelson it does), and I know the full game does.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 02:17:41 AM »

Quote from: shon on June 08, 2008, 04:15:08 PM

Yes you can edit your controller any way you want.

I got the PS3 version and using the DFP wheel and it is awesome.  They really nailed the controls this time.  I can actually drift in the game.

How the hell are you supposed to drive this with a gamepad!?! I tried the PS3 demo and could barely drive straight. I know how to drive a car, just not a virtual car. It seems a bit harder.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 01:18:55 AM »

OK, I was too busy to really touch this until today... I played about 8 hours straight, that should give you an impression up front how I feel about the game.

I'm the guy in the other thread who was saying he never liked the TOCA games, well codemasters has gained me as a loyal customer now. The variety of difficulty options with the ability to adjust all of them on the fly is what makes this game for me. With all aids turned on and the difficulty set to basic it's a reasonably challenging arcade racer. If damage could be turned off it would be too easy, imo. That's about the only thing that can't be turned off.

The huge variety of car and race types helps to keep it challenging and the career stuff keeps me engaged and driving forward.

You start out with a busted up car and need $80k to make it race-ready. You get that 80k by driving one-off races for other teams, getting an appearance fee and a bonus based on some criteria, like beat Team Goody Two-Shoes, or finish in the top 5, or simply complete the race. Once you get your car fixed up you can pick and choose form lots of different kinds of races in 3 regions. Most you will need to buy a car for at this stage, so you start with the few that you can use the beginner car to earn money to buy more cars.

Eventually you get the ability to hire another driver to race with you so you can compete for team titles which means more money. Any time you finish an event on the podium you get offers for sponsorship, sponsors will pay so much per race if you meet their criteria, usual finish in a certain position, finish the race or finish in a certain position with no damage. Both you and your team driver can earn those bonuses. The team driver you start with is a mostly worthless rookie. Eventually I paid half million to get a pro to race for me and he has already earned his keep in bonuses and team titles.

Completing events earns Reputation which unlocks more races in each region and eventually global races which would be the most competitive.

For Roscoe: You can totally skip the drifting if you want. Depending on the difficulty settings you use, you might need to repeat another race or two to make up for the lost reputation from avoiding drifting events. I've never had to repeat any event except one I chose to, to get the trophy to unlock the big money head to head challenge (well it was big money at the start).

Early on you are scraping together money and living hand to car dealer, 30-40k for an event. In my last event I took in over $6 million. $3 million for 1st place, $2 million for the team win, $1 million in sponsor bonuses and a few 100k in team driver winnings (he keeps a percent), and a bonus for unused rewinds. Man do I ever love those rewinds!

If anyone has any questions about the game from an arcade racer perspective, shoot. I'm not a sim guy so I'm not going to be able to help you there.

The AI, in my opinion, is fairly realistic. They try to avoid accidents, they don't plow through you just because you are in their line. They can have accidents between themselves. They sometimes tag the wall without contact, etc.

BTW, I'm playing it with the wireless 360 gamepad, my wheel hasn't come out of the closet since the week I bought it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 01:59:39 AM »

Is there dragracing?

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 02:11:58 AM »

Nope, no drag racing. There's one demolition derby race event, but other than that and drifting it's pretty much traditional track and street racing.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »

I've been reading up on the game more and just heard about the "touge" races.  Are these done well?  Is it like driving in an Initial D episode?  The hill climbs and descents were one of my favorite parts of Forza 1 and Auto Modellista.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 10, 2008, 07:35:25 PM

I've been reading up on the game more and just heard about the "touge" races.  Are these done well?  Is it like driving in an Initial D episode?  The hill climbs and descents were one of my favorite parts of Forza 1 and Auto Modellista.

I know nothing about Initial D, but there are 2 versions of Touge (Toe-Gay apparently), day and night. Day Touge, you race from the top to the bottom with you starting in front, then you race from the bottom to the top with the other guy starting in front. Any contact gets the guy who is behind at the time a 2 second penalty. Lowest total time wins. Night Touge removes the no contact rule.

The only night Touge race I ran was one fo the special head to head challenges you get after winning every event in a region/license section and it was downhill only, not sure if the regular night Touge races are downhill only. I'm done with US region races, I still have Japan and Europe to finish up.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 08:32:26 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 10, 2008, 07:35:25 PM

It's about as close as you're gonna get to an Initial D-like experience in Grid, which is to say, pretty good. It even helps that there is a AE-86 in there  slywink

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »

I finally had some time to spend with the demo last night.

I'm going to go out and find this today.  I like it a lot.  The replay feature when you mess up is just too cool.

LD

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »

I tried with my wheel and I felt like the front of the car was pinned to the track while the ass-end spun around it. I couldn't drive straight at all. I'm ok at games like PGR and FM, but on Grid, I was on skates. Any suggestions?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 03:41:08 PM »

Stop driving with the handbrake on?

What were you driving? What assists did you have on/off?

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »

Very interested.  How's the MP?  Or is it more of a SP experience?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 11, 2008, 03:41:08 PM

There is a handbrake? I had a similar experience. It felt like the car was on ice. This was the demo BMW track.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 04:55:03 PM »

It's good. surprisingly robust driving model, great, great cars that handle differently, insanely gorgeous graphics, its fun, the career progression (im only about  6 races in) seems 10x better than DiRT's, and frankly the whole shebang is just much more interesting to me than Forza or GT5 Prologue. It's just fun. And pretty, and addictive.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 05:05:35 PM »

got it free due to some trade ins yesterday.  Taking some getting used to with the wheel.  Might have to leave a few assists on for now which I'm not used to.

Overall very fun, love the helm cam.  Wish everyone had to use it all the time slywink
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 06:21:44 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 11, 2008, 03:41:08 PM

I just plugged in and played. The Beemer was very loose. I tried drifting and have no idea how to do that with the wheel at default settings. I didn't try the Mustang track.

One thing I should've tried is increasing the deadzone travel in the wheel. It seemed like even a micro motion of the wheel would lead to severe fishtailing and over-corrections by me.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on June 11, 2008, 06:21:44 PM

I just plugged in and played. The Beemer was very loose. I tried drifting and have no idea how to do that with the wheel at default settings. I didn't try the Mustang track.

One thing I should've tried is increasing the deadzone travel in the wheel. It seemed like even a micro motion of the wheel would lead to severe fishtailing and over-corrections by me.

In the demo, the BMW feels weird, the drifting race feels silly, and Mustang race felt very comfortable.  Definitely try the Mustang race.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 07:02:18 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 11, 2008, 06:28:00 PM

Quote from: lildrgn on June 11, 2008, 06:21:44 PM

In the demo, the BMW feels weird, the drifting race feels silly, and Mustang race felt very comfortable.  Definitely try the Mustang race.

Interesting.  I hated the demo based solely on the fact that I HATED the way the BMW drove.  I never tried the Mustang.  Might be worth a shot.

gellar
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 02:12:45 PM »

Picked it up yesterday as planned.  I few things of note:

1 - Graphics are pretty freakin' great.
2 - Presentation is pretty freakin' great.
3 - Story mode is lots of fun so far.
4 - I've always found the Toca racing model tough but fun; but GRID is just fantastic.
5 - Cars handle differently.  My driving "style" must be suited to particular types of cars, cause some races I do pretty good on, while others...  icon_redface
6 - On the whole, I am really not very good.  Even with all assists on, I screw up a lot.

Tonight I'll be trying out LIVE! multiplayer with Devil, so I'll be able to see how the performance is there.  I think the game is extremely fun overall though.

LD

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »

Once they patch out the stuttering I'm up for some games.  right now it stutters so badly I can't really play.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »

I'm really enjoying what little I've had the chance to play with work being crazy... trying to get through the first 24h le Mans without crashing now.

Anyone up for some multiplayer this week?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: