http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:08:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Impressions] Bullet Witch  (Read 7360 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2007, 05:26:53 AM »

Actually picked up a used copy of this today.  Moriarty has been amused with it so far, finished the 1st level.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2007, 11:48:49 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 07, 2007, 12:58:25 AM

...actually his won't break until the release day of Knights of the Old Republic 3  icon_twisted

Ouch!  That is a direct stab into my heart!

ban CeeKay!   icon_wink

Jarrodhk:   thumbsup Way to go!  Enjoy!

And of course:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2007, 02:52:59 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 07, 2007, 05:26:53 AM

Actually picked up a used copy of this today.  Moriarty has been amused with it so far, finished the 1st level.

I picked it up, too.  Only played the first level so far, but I've played it three times.  Once on each difficulty level.  I'm trying to up my stats before heading into the game.  Hard to tell for sure yet, but it seems enjoyable so far.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2007, 08:51:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 07, 2007, 02:52:59 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 07, 2007, 05:26:53 AM

I picked it up, too.  Only played the first level so far, but I've played it three times.  Once on each difficulty level.  I'm trying to up my stats before heading into the game.  Hard to tell for sure yet, but it seems enjoyable so far.

If you gain any enjoyment out of the game, you aren't allowed to post about it here.  Otherwise we'll never hear the end of it from Starshifter.  Although, I'm assuming that you both aren't as susceptible to the charms of virtual b00biEz as Starshifter obviously is, and so we may receive slightly less skewed impressions. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2007, 09:16:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Moriarty is not swayed by virtual boobies... quite the opposite in fact.  I'll ask her to post impressions later.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2007, 09:37:12 PM »

Apart from upping my stats, I was replaying the first level to pick which costume I wanted.  Heh. icon_redface

It's a good game, for cheap.  Certainly I don't understand why everyone went apeshit for Earth Defense Force and then said this was the biggest pile of crap ever.  Surely giant ants don't make that big of a difference.

That said, one of the complaints I'd seen on this game has been true for me, too.  The levels are a little too big.  There's a lot of running to the next battle and the next and the next.  First time through a level, being unfamiliar with it, can take a very long time.  On the second level I wasn't clear where I needed to go for a while.  I think it took more than an hour and a half through that one.  'Course I was tired.  Not a deal breaker, but it will probably be a little while before I get to level 3.

Overall, though, I am definitely enjoying it.  It's much better than I had been led to believe.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2007, 02:26:06 AM »

It's obvious.....

Starshifter has started paying people to say the game is good  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2007, 07:07:51 AM »

You got PAID?!?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 08, 2007, 07:07:51 AM

You got PAID?!?

Moriarty didn't?

Because I can,
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2007, 11:52:14 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 07, 2007, 09:37:12 PM

Apart from upping my stats, I was replaying the first level to pick which costume I wanted.  Heh. icon_redface

The secretary outfit is the one I'm using now.  icon_redface  headbang

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 07, 2007, 09:37:12 PM

...It's much better than I had been led to believe.

This is the key statement here:  "led to believe".  It was so universally slammed by GT that you can't help but be influenced by that.  It's the old forum effect.  Especially when our boss here started off the impressions by comparing it to Kabuki Warriors!  Shame on you Ron.  icon_wink  I tried my best to give honest and detailed impressions.  I certainly never said it was the best game but it was a whole lot of fun.  How could a hot chick with witchcraft spells and a kick ass broomstick/gun not be fun?

I do agree with Bullwinkle on the levels.  There were some where I got lost and frustrated.  Especially the fog enshrouded forest level.  That one drove me crazy.  It was a relief when that level was over.

And don't worry.  I'm not going to go all PeteRock now and post a 20 page dissertation on the virtues of the game.  I'm just glad some others here are enjoying it. 

Jarrodhk - the check is in the mail.   ninja

XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2007, 03:36:25 PM »

OK SS, you've convinced me, and if I see a used copy I'll pick it up.  If I don't like it the blood of millions will be upon your head!

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2007, 07:40:08 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on August 08, 2007, 11:52:14 AM

This is the key statement here:  "led to believe".  It was so universally slammed by GT that you can't help but be influenced by that.  It's the old forum effect. 

Now it has become a conspiracy?  Ron isn't the only person that found the game to be, shall we say, in order to remain politically correct, lacking.

GameSpy:  50%
GameSpot:  55%
IGN:  40%
Official Xbox Magazine:  40%
Worth Playing:  58%
Eurogamer:  60%
Game Revolution:  50%
Game Zone:  50%

I didn't even need to include Ron's thoughts.  Your rose-colored glasses may make the world look all pretty in a beautiful shade of pink, but they're starting to have an effect on your reasoning as well.

And don't worry.  I'm not going to go all PeteRock now and post a 20 page dissertation on the virtues of the game.  I'm just glad some others here are enjoying it.

No?  Well, I guess it doesn't quite have the usual PeteRock flair, but what can except for the original.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the game.  But I'm not quite ready to completely disregard Ron's reviews just yet.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2007, 09:01:51 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 09, 2007, 07:40:08 PM

Now it has become a conspiracy?  Ron isn't the only person that found the game to be, shall we say, in order to remain politically correct, lacking.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the game.  But I'm not quite ready to completely disregard Ron's reviews just yet.

Now you know me better than that.  I never go by reviews for my game purchases.  Ever.  Those reviews on those sites are laughable.  They are nothing more that a bunch of jaded reviewers that simply cater to the main stream.  They are the ones that will give Madden a 90+ every year.  They are the ones that will not give a niche game a chance.  And they are the ones that will not play a game long enough to truly see everything there is before they give their opinion.  Plus, it amazes me that every one of those sites will almost universally "knock off points" on a game simply because it doesn't have multiplayer or a well implemented multiplayer.  What about those of us who don't give a shit about multiplayer?  No multiplayer to me is a positive.

I cannot imagine anyone letting a review site(s) determine what game they buy with their money.  Same goes for movies.  Movie critics:  never listen to them.  I go by what I'm interested in.  Very simple.  "Official Reviews" of games should go the way of the dodo and become extinct.  They are worthless.  I don't even read the reviews here on GT because the forum folks provide an excellent feedback on the games, including Ron.  I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one but I simply do not see any benefit in reading game reviews on internet sites or magazines for that matter.  I don't need some stranger telling me what I should like/dislike or purchase/avoid.  No way.

Yes, I'm cranky today darn it!  mad  nod

I need to go home and watch an episode of Charmed and relax.   icon_cool

icon_razz  icon_wink

XM Channel 76
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2007, 09:38:07 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on August 09, 2007, 09:01:51 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 09, 2007, 07:40:08 PM

Now you know me better than that.  I never go by reviews for my game purchases.  Ever.  Those reviews on those sites are laughable.  They are nothing more that a bunch of jaded reviewers that simply cater to the main stream.  They are the ones that will give Madden a 90+ every year.  They are the ones that will not give a niche game a chance.  And they are the ones that will not play a game long enough to truly see everything there is before they give their opinion.  Plus, it amazes me that every one of those sites will almost universally "knock off points" on a game simply because it doesn't have multiplayer or a well implemented multiplayer.  What about those of us who don't give a shit about multiplayer?  No multiplayer to me is a positive.

I cannot imagine anyone letting a review site(s) determine what game they buy with their money.  Same goes for movies.  Movie critics:  never listen to them.  I go by what I'm interested in.  Very simple.  "Official Reviews" of games should go the way of the dodo and become extinct.  They are worthless.  I don't even read the reviews here on GT because the forum folks provide an excellent feedback on the games, including Ron.  I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one but I simply do not see any benefit in reading game reviews on internet sites or magazines for that matter.  I don't need some stranger telling me what I should like/dislike or purchase/avoid.  No way.

Yes, I'm cranky today darn it!  mad  nod

I need to go home and watch an episode of Charmed and relax.   icon_cool

icon_razz  icon_wink

You like your precious little game.  That's fine.  But even though you may disagree with the role review sites might play in determining a game's worth in terms of playability, no matter how biased you may think their impressions may be, you can't argue with any consistencies that remain constant across multiple sites.  Even though you may feel that Ron gave Bullet Witch an unfair chance, his impressions weren't so far off from the impressions of every other reviewer of the game (except for you, of course). 

I may not allow film reviewers to determine if I watch a film, and I oftentimes find myself enjoying a film reviewers have bashed (Boondock Saints, Poolhall Junkies, and Equilibrium are three perfect examples), but more often than not reviewers at least provide a pretty accurate glimpse into how good (or bad) a film might be.  For every Boondock Saints or Equilibrium that I consider to have received unfair reviews, there are a number of other films with similar bad reviews that truly are rather bad.  Perhaps you found an unlikely gem in a sea of poorly-reviewed games.  But, the numbers are still against you. 

Even though you consider reviewers to be unqualified strangers sharing their unwanted game/movie/magazine/Charmed impressions, they rarely are too far off when simply taken at face value in determining if a game is good, or bad.  Forget about how good, or how bad, but in terms of a pass/fail grade, rarely are reviewers that far off.

And in this case I think they still aren't too far off.  You like the game, and that is absolutely fine (even though no matter how many times we all reiterate that it's fine that you like this game, you still feel the need to defend it as if you are the only person adept enough to see its true value).  I already know just how suspect your taste is.  All Bullet Witch has done is continue to support that perception. 

You're welcome to disregard my thoughts as irrelevant (even though you quickly learned that my game suggestions have been spot-on, regardless of how long it took you to finally see the light <<cough>>God of War<<cough>>), and you can continue to gain enjoyment from sub-par games.  It seems you have the time to do so. 

I, however, do not have as much free time to squander on games not worth a second look.  And fortunately there are review sites out there like GamingTrend, GameSpy, GameSpot, IGN, etc, that at least help me to make a better-educated decision as to which games might be worth my time and hard-earned money, and which games are most likely expendable.  Game reviews may not be entirely unbiased or completely accurate, and it would be silly to take the word of a stranger as the only determining factor in whether or not to purchase or play a game, but reviewers still provide yet another reference in deciding what to buy and what to allow to fall by the wayside.

Your enjoyment of Bullet Witch will in no way effect our friendship.  Unless of course I find out that not only are you playing the game with the lead character in a schoolgirl outfit but also clad in similar attire yourself.         

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2007, 10:11:58 PM »

Peterock defeats his opponents by exceeding attention spans.
Rock on, master; show him how it's done!  headbang

Seriously, PeteRock put it well, if somewhat longer.

1) reviews are an aid in determining worth.
2) value != review scores
3) game in your niche = enjoy, you're doing nothing wrong
4) don't dress up like a secretary unless you're a chick, and hawt.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2007, 01:33:03 AM »

I'm just suspect of StarShifter's opinion because his main point in every post about the game is that you play a hot woman witch, as if that is something that could take a mediocre game and make it awesome.   

Sandwiches do fix everything.
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2007, 08:03:52 AM »

i was told by a friend of mine that the game was a renter (once again, i bow to Lex's impeccable taste).

Jarrodhk nabbed it for about $25, and i played it once already; very pretty, with a fun concept, but i have to say that it certainly suffers on all the points Ron mentioned.  a game that is 5 hours long just isn't worth $50 for me -- and this is not just a case of "longer is better," but it felt like it was only a fragment of a plot, not a full plot.  if the game hadn't been so linear, i wouldn't mind its plot being so short.  i also don't appreciate the fact that on NON-SCORING REPLAYS (well, you get a "score," but you don't get any skill points to level your character up with.  you can only get those once per stage per play; if you use the New Game option to start  over completely, you'll get skill points for the stages as you go, just not if you go back and play them from the Select A Stage option.) you can't use all the fun elemental spells you get later.  the achievements tanked, as Ron said, and the allied AI sucked as much as the enemy AI -- there were lots of times when Resistance fighters got pasted by cars that were dropped when a Walnut Head met his doom by my machine gun.  it might have been better in Japanese, but the script kinda sucked, too, and the voice actors for the "normal" humans.  and i think Maxwell found his entire script in the same dumpster where Leo the Cat got his apple (see VGCats).

but there really are fewer more badass moments than wearing the pixie outfit with a gatling gun and calling down meteors on an entire city block.  that was totally made of win. <3

p.s. the schoolgirl outfit thing was too much mental image, Pete.  i must now go scrub my eyes out with asbestos.  XD

p.p.s. Engine -- you mean the Tomb Raider before Legends wasn't made totally un-sucky by the mere presence of Lara Croft's G-cups?!?! </sarcasm>  icon_lol god, that game sucked.  the controls were all over the place... *shudders at the memory*

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2007, 12:06:08 PM »

Huh, I didn't know Moriarty was GT Staff.  Shows how much I pay attention I guess.  Cool beans.

Now to Shifty and his view of review(ers):  Considering a review is (basically) one person's opinion of a game, I totally see his point.  However, I think reviews can be extremely helpful.  I don't use them to decide whether or not I will like the game based on someone else's taste, but I do value them for incidental things like:  Camera controls - are they wonky?  Control of avatars/players - are they backasswards with no way to switch them?  Game length - Is a game I'm paying 60 bucks for 6 hours long?  Game modes - Is there a season/franchise mode?  Framerate - Is there slowdown that will tick me off?  Artificial Intelligence - Does it even exist?  Etc... Etc...

To me, that is where the real value of the review lies.  Which is why I like reviewers that focus on the technical side of things, cause that is what I'm looking for in a review.  I could care less if Joe Shmoe liked the story of a game; I'll decide that for myself.  I'll decide if the Patriots are overrated in a sports title, or if a game's graphics meet my expectations, or if the game is 'immersive' enough.  But the technical stuff - heck yeah I want to know about that beforehand.  I don't always get that stuff from player thoughts though, so sometimes an official review is very worthwhile to me.  And that's the bottom line, cause Sto....  (wait, that's not it.)

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2007, 12:49:40 PM »

Oh boy what did I do?  icon_eek  Yikes.  I know I tend to enjoy niche or subpar titles.  I guess I'll pretty much keep my opinions to myself on those titles from here on out.  I never intended to "defend" anything.  I was trying to show why I liked the game so that if someone had some interest in trying it out they could at least see another opinion.  Isn't that what it's all about?  It's also fun to post your enthusiasm for a game.  I certainly enjoy reading other posts with people raving about a game because I appreciate their excitement.  For example, even though I had no interest in the game I loved reading all the Gears posts you guys made and the descriptions of the chainsaw deaths were hysterical.

Lockdown had a good point of view on reviews.  I guess I lied a bit.  I do sometimes scan a review to look at the technical side of things as well, especially for sports games.  Actually, I will scan several to look for inconsistencies.  It still doesn't influence my purchase but it does prepare me for what to expect.

And Pete my friend, you would have disappointed me if you posted anything less.  icon_wink  thumbsup

Engine - I was playing up the hot woman witch for fun and laughs.  Nothing more.  Don't take it all that seriously.  icon_biggrin

XM Channel 76
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2007, 01:34:57 PM »

I think one review is nearly useless, unless it's the review of somebody I trust and who I know has simlilar tastes to mine.  But I think reviews can be very helpful in the aggregate.  When the scores on metacritic, for example, are all over the place, it looks like a game that probably depends on personal tastes.  When a bunch of reviews say the same thing, it's probably true.

That said, and back on topic, I like hot girls in schoolgirl outfits.  I would like to check this game out if I can find it on the cheap.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on August 10, 2007, 01:34:57 PM

I think one review is nearly useless, unless it's the review of somebody I trust and who I know has simlilar tastes to mine.  But I think reviews can be very helpful in the aggregate.  When the scores on metacritic, for example, are all over the place, it looks like a game that probably depends on personal tastes.  When a bunch of reviews say the same thing, it's probably true.

That said, and back on topic, I like hot girls in schoolgirl outfits.  I would like to check this game out if I can find it on the cheap.

Do you have or know anyone with a GameFly Account? shipping is free.
Bullet Witch
Publisher:  Atari
Platform:  XBOX 360
Category: Shooter
Release Date: 2/27/07
Keep It Price:  $19.79

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2007, 04:12:05 PM »

Shifty, you keep posting your views and opinions on these lesser titles.  You are probably the main reason I had any interest in Bullet Witch after the reviews started coming in.  The game looked interesting enough, but the reviews made it seem like it wasn't a $6o title.  Once it came down in price, I was willing to try it out, and I'm happy I did.

A game like Vampire Rain (same developers, I think) was looking good, concept-wise, but has been slammed so hard, critically.   There's been 0% buzz on it, forum-wise, so I have no interest at all now.

Anyway, your take on things can be just as useful as the published reviews.  Don't let anyone tell you differently.

MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 10, 2007, 12:06:08 PM

Huh, I didn't know Moriarty was GT Staff.  Shows how much I pay attention I guess.  Cool beans.

*superhero pose* why, YES!  in fact, i IS staff now!  XD

i'm a reviewer. *hides from Shifter to avoid throwing of rotten fruit*

but i still say the pixie outfit was way cooler than the schoolgirl outfit.  it's kind of...."haha, you got your zombie ass spanked by a magical barbie-doll fairy!" or something... ^_^;; 

i, for one, find bullet witch to be a charmnig game, but it's a bit too limited for a po' chick like me to spend full price on. *shrug*  then again, there are few games i'm willing to pay full price for.  eternal sonata looks like it's gonna be one of them (that game is seriously right up my alley), and probably stranglehold (they look to have done right what most other martial arts shooters have done wrong), but it's more likely that if Jarrodhk doesn't buy them, i won't get to play them for several months.

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2007, 12:34:45 AM »

but it's more likely that if Jarrodhk doesn't buy them, i won't get to play them for several months.
I don't  get it icon_neutral

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2007, 12:56:22 AM »

We're good friends in the real world.  We also attend the same university along with papa smurff. 

So basically since I have a bit more income at the moment and am FAR more inclined to buy anything that looks potentially interesting, if I don't pick a game up, Moriarty probably won't get a chance to play it until it hits the bargin bin, or her room mate decides it looks interesting.

Starshifter: Keep posting your thoughts, as you know not everyone has the same tastes in games.  The more people who talk about titles that are niche, or not well reviewed, the better my chances of finding fun games I would have overlooked otherwise.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2007, 01:25:15 AM »

wow, no used copies at the 2 places I checked today.  Either the price drop made it very popular or no one around here bought it in the first place.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on August 10, 2007, 12:49:40 PM

And Pete my friend, you would have disappointed me if you posted anything less.  icon_wink  thumbsup

You keep posting your impressions of all games you play.  As you found our threads on Gears of War entertaining, I find your reviews entertaining and informative as well.  Just as you see little draw in games like Gears, I see little draw in games like Bullet Witch.  But, what is great about this place is that we can agree to disagree and continue to roll on. 

So feel free to post your impressions.  But we will also feel free to continue to tell you just how crazy you really are.  Although I can understand your fragile mental state with still no word on KOTOR 3.  Desparate people sometimes do desparate things, and so we'll just have to let you slide on games like Bullet Witch.   icon_wink

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: