http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:19:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [IMHO] Killzone SP is better than Halo SP  (Read 923 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2007, 01:59:37 AM »

I just finished playing through the campaign of Killzone.  It took a little adjustment at the start, but once I "got it" I had a lot of fun with the game, more than with Halo.  I am surprised that this game wasn't more popular, although #1, I'm sure it suffered from unfair expectations ("Halo killer") and #2, I'm guessing the multi-player was not as good as Halo.  I don't play multiplayer, so I don't include that in my assessment.

story/characters - while Halo has a grander story, Killzone's story is streamlined and easy to follow and has something that Halo lacks - characters you can relate to. Halo has a faceless hero and a hologram, while Killzone has 4 quality human-like characters.  They seem realistic and you care (at least I did) about their interactions. The enemy, while somewhat stereotypically evil, is somewhat sympathetic, since we don't really know why they were forced from Earth in the first place. At least until Halo 2, when we meet the heretics, the Covenant are only evil.

environments - multiple environments, many outdoors, and no "go through room, go through corridor, go through reversed corridor, go through reversed room, repeat..."

gameplay - Killzone has some odd controls, but when taken in the context of realism, they start to make sense.  You can't jump, but you can do controlled actions like moving over fixed obstacles or climbing ladders.  If you are carrying a giant gatling gun, you can't climb ladders or move over barriers.  In reality, that makes perfect sense.  You can only run for short spurts until you catch your breath.  In reality, this also makes perfect sense.  You can't hop around like a bunny - again, realistic.  Circle strafing does not do much good (and you can't move around quite quickly enough to do it anyway), just as circle strafing in real life doesn't do much good. I also really like the ability to use cover and they way that enemies will use cover.Yes, your friends can never die, which is not realistic.  You also can't tell your squad what to do - I wonder if that is changed in the sequel.

enemies - ok, I will give Halo the advantage here, because really there is only one kind of enemy in Killzone, the Helghast.  They sometimes carry different weapons, look a little different and take more shots to kill, but they are all basically the same and use the same tactics.  They are also a little timid, never really working together to outflank you in a Half-Life-marine kind of way.  But they are not cartoonish and they definitely pose a challenge.

I could go on about the humor in the cutscenes and some other things, but I think I've got my opinion across.  I'd suggest people who haven't given it a shot to go for it for $20.  Just go in with an open mind about what a sci-fi FPS should be and I think you'll enjoy it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:04:38 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »

It's true, the single-player is well done.  My only complaint is how each Helghast person has the same 3 exclamations.  That gets tiring.

The multiplayer was fun when I played, in case anybody was curious.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 03:22:37 AM »

If you were to play this on a PS3 could you use a mouse and keyboard?  I really despise the 6axis for FPS games.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:09:58 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on July 23, 2007, 03:22:37 AM

I really despise the 6axis for FPS games.
Have you looked at the FragFX controller?  I'm not into shooters enough to get it, but it looks interesting.  It's available in wired and wireless (if you can find it).  I did see Fry's advertising it.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 07:29:17 AM »

Lately, I've been comparing Killzone more to Gears of War than Halo.

Halo is a more open shooter, big areas, big plot, big encounters, etc...

Gears and Killzone tend to be about squads of PBIs sloggy through wars that are an allegory to WW2 in some way, Killzone more than GoW.

Halo is run and gun, Killzone and Gears are more cover and shoot.

One thing Killzone has to differentiate itself is the emphasis on plausible action realism.  What I mean is that at its heart it's an action game and they know that.  But at the same time is has the feel of a more realistic game.  It's blended enough that you get the action of an action game, a slower, more deliberate pacing of a realistic game without being as plodding as a realistic game.

I loved the fact that there was no jump.  I loved the animations where you climb up and down low obstacles.  Anyone who complains about lack jumping should see the bunny hoppers online, or try to jump carrying 30-60 points of combat gear.

Halo isn't about realism.  It's a space opera.

One thing about Killzone 2 is there's rumors that it's more than just a shooter, which makes me think you might have some control over teammates, which I really hope they do.  I just hope it's optional, kind of like how Blacksite handles it.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »

I want a sequel to Black. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 10:24:19 AM »

I liked Killzone single player quite a bit.  I also liked how multiplayer featured the ability to add bots.  My biggest problem with the game was the framerate.  Unfortunately I don't think the PS2 was capable of running the game at it's fullest.  I agree with the above poster that Killzone is much closer to Gears in playstye than it is to Halo. 

All that Killzone and Halo have in common is that they are FPS's.  Other than that they are apples and oranges.  Given that, if forced to choose I would take Halo in a heartbeat.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »

Killzone could have been great, but the framerate made it near impossible to aim at times, and for a relatively hard game that was the kiss of death. It made the whole thing jerky and clunky. And I would like a sequel to Black too.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 01:16:30 PM »

I actually thought it looked really cool. Then it came out and the reviews really weren't that good, so I put it on the back burner and never really played it. The Helghast people looked a ton like the baddies in Half Life 2 as well, I wonder who was ripping off who there...

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 01:43:38 PM »

Halo 1 - Release Date: 11/09/01
Halo 2 - Release Date: 11/09/04
Killzone - Release Date: 11/02/04

I've not played killzone (minus about 20 minutes) so I can't really tell you that I've invested a lot of time to get below the surface, but I can tell you this; Halo's coop and checkpoint system was, for me, the best thing since carrying only 2 weapons. The vehicles, the vistas... it was all superb and it was 3 years before killzone, so comparing it is a little silly (Guerilla no doubt had played Halo and extracted what they could from it; Bungie didn't design Halo with Killzone experience).

Halo 2 would be a closer comparison based on time, but once again they aren't the same types of games and I think Killzone suffered from the "Halo Killer" label.

Sad thing is, Killzone2 FMV / "gameplay" footage looks like it could have happened in Halo2. I'd hope that they would go their own direction, rather than chasing a giant.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 23, 2007, 08:47:35 AM

I want a sequel to Black. 

+3, but it needs to be longer than 6-7 hours.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 04:45:44 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 23, 2007, 01:43:38 PM

I've not played killzone (minus about 20 minutes) so I can't really tell you that I've invested a lot of time to get below the surface, but I can tell you this; Halo's coop and checkpoint system was, for me, the best thing since carrying only 2 weapons. The vehicles, the vistas... it was all superb and it was 3 years before killzone, so comparing it is a little silly (Guerilla no doubt had played Halo and extracted what they could from it; Bungie didn't design Halo with Killzone experience).

This is why I slapped the big "IMHO" up there.  I totally understand why some people are into Halo.  For me, though, and the style of gameplay that I like, Killzone was just a more enjoyable experience.  But I'm kind of freak when it comes to video games, so it's not surprising smile

Oh, and I think I'll play Black next - sounds the perfect game to use to score a quick defeat against the backlog.  I actually played through the first few levels before putting it down some time ago and was having a lot of fun blowing the crap out of everything.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:48:30 PM by Teggy » Logged

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 06:39:48 PM »

Sequel to Black? <perk>  I could go for that... think I'll pick it up on the cheap if I see it somewhere.  Was a good romp.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 06:43:54 PM »

i am playing Halo 1 now,better than i remember it,although i still hate the controls for the warthogs

i never did play Killzone,read reviews at the time giving it in the 70s and 80%s...i think the AI was what reviewers didnt like

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 23, 2007, 06:43:54 PM

i never did play Killzone,read reviews at the time giving it in the 70s and 80%s...i think the AI was what reviewers didnt like

I could understand that - there were a couple of times where enemies literally just stood where they were and didn't notice me, but those were isolated incidents, and having played other games I would have expected them to move up and try to root me out a little more often.  But they gave me plenty to handle, so I didn't have a big problem with it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: