http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 07:34:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [hl2]New complaint - why do I need the cd in the drive?!  (Read 1959 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2004, 01:29:59 AM »

Grrr that is really annoying.  Suposedly I have the same content on my HD as those who bought HL2 so why do I need to have the cd in the drive?

I hate that kind of crap.  I hate cd swaping etc.  

And before anyone tells me it is my own fault for buying the game - at no point did any thread or FAQ I saw mention that it was also using securom!  I knew I needed an interenet connection.  I knew I would have to unplug to play offline, etc.  I accept those things.

But why the hell did they also use securom!!!!!

RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 01:37:00 AM »

Because Vivendi Sucks Donkey Balls?

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 01:41:13 AM »

Quote from: "RookieCAF"
Because Vivendi Sucks Donkey Balls?

Yep, you bought VU's product, so you get VU's protection as well as Valve's.

Fun times.

I'm changing my tune on this whole deal. It's working for me, but for those of you having troubles, my sympathies, for real.  It really isn't fair to the consumer to have jump through this many hoops after you've already paid $55 for the damn thing.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 01:45:38 AM »

I am coping....I am also going to install a no-cd crack the momement it is released.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 02:57:34 AM »

Did anyone try just pre-loading the files from Steam and then entering your retail CD key?  In other words, do not install off of the CD's.

That's really fucked if it wants to do a CD check after the Steam authentication.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 03:41:36 AM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
Did anyone try just pre-loading the files from Steam and then entering your retail CD key?  In other words, do not install off of the CD's.

that's an interesting idea...i might try it at some point, but for now HL2 is all i'll be playing so i can just leave the disc in my drive.  that would be a great solution if it works though.

as for a no-CD crack...i have my concerns over how well that will work.  with the auto-update features of Steam, i wonder if it would ever cause a problem.  i'd hate to get an auto-update then be unable to play because noone has released a new no-CD yet...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 04:13:21 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"

as for a no-CD crack...i have my concerns over how well that will work.  with the auto-update features of Steam, i wonder if it would ever cause a problem.  i'd hate to get an auto-update then be unable to play because noone has released a new no-CD yet...

Auto update can be turned off. Right-click HL2, choose properties.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 06:46:08 AM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"

I tried just that. It knows that your key is 'retail' and asks for the CD. So it seems there is no difference.

LiveTAG: happydog
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 07:09:23 AM »

IT won't let me play the game because of the copy protection..it can't authenticate within the time limit...this is so much friggin BS...god I am so pissed right now...

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 08:44:07 AM »

lol awesome.  The best of both worlds for retail HL2 purchasers.  Nothing but the best for valued customers.

olaf
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 01:26:24 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"

I have concerns to but think about it for a minute.  Those who bought HL2 via steam don't have to have a cd in and they auto-update, so it should be possible to remove the cd check while keeping the auto update (after all Valve has done so!)

Of course I intend to back up my old .exe before trying anything out. smile

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 04:11:49 PM »

Isn't buying the CD the equivalent of buying a Bronze account? Couldn't you set up your account with Steam, then uninstall HL2 and then tell Steam to download HL2? Wouldn't you then have a no-cd version of the game?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 04:29:06 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Isn't buying the CD the equivalent of buying a Bronze account? Couldn't you set up your account with Steam, then uninstall HL2 and then tell Steam to download HL2? Wouldn't you then have a no-cd version of the game?

No, the key tells them if it is a 'retail' version or steam version.  :evil:

LiveTAG: happydog
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 04:43:25 PM »

Wow. That's unfortunate. So if you buy retail, you are buying a more expensive, inferior version of the game. I'll keep this in mind when I am looking for this one in the bargain bin.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 06:15:29 PM »

Ya I was pretty ticked off when I realized I still needed the cd even though I verified through steam. If I had known I would of just downloaded the online version. Probably installed easier too. Meh
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 06:38:43 AM »

Yep, pretty damn lame and I'm sure it's VU that pinched off this idea.  Oh well, it's what I'll be playing on my desktop for a while so I'll just leave it in for now and wait for the crack.
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 11:23:04 AM »

Ya know, Im all for this new distribution method.  *For me*(high speed internet, hard-core gamer, blah blah blah) it works fantasticly.  Nary a hiccup...well 'cept for the pre-load process was fairly slow, but that really doesnt bother me, just thought Id mention it.

But these hoops Valve or VU, or whoever is putting customers, PAYING CUSTOMERS, through is just damned ridiculous.

I totally sympathize with Valve not wanting their shit stolen, which is reason #1 why I like the idea of Steam(this go-around...2 years ago it was utter crap and why I eventually quit playing TFC).  But I wonder how many paying customers they are losing; is it more than the amount of $ they lose to piracy?  I suppose it must not be or else you'd think they wouldnt do it.

Hope everything works out for ppl, cause the game is pretty sweet.

I had one...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: