http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:32:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Hellgate: London) Who's in?  (Read 33695 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 09, 2007, 07:59:16 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 08, 2007, 11:33:34 PM

...which is a pain in the ass.
As a reporter, I'm skilled at digging up dirt. So that passage reminds me...

Quote from: Flagship Memo
Flagship November 2007 Memorandum:

Criteria for Game Features and Unintentional Bugs:
"Pain in the Ass."
Wherever and whenever this is true, make sure we get it into the game.

Then, when we remove all the Pain in the Ass stuff later on, all the fans will say how awesome we are!

P.S. Make sure nobody sees this memorandum until 2008!
I knew it! I just knew it! Fiends! disgust icon_lol
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 08:03:04 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 11, 2008, 03:28:28 PM »

Saw at Blue's News that a Flagship programmer's since rescinded blog post (snagged by an, um, "anti-fan site" called Flagshipped) detailed his observations within the company that employees are fleeing the company after Hellgate's flop-ness (despite being rescinded, all the gaming industry news sites had already picked up on it):

http://www.flagshipped.com/2008/06/05/fss-senior-programmer-speaks-out

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=88456
(has links to the various things, and the verbiage)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/flagship-programmer-says-staff-are-leaving-in-droves

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10868&Itemid=2
Work is depressing right now. Never mind the fact that Hellgate isn’t as popular as anybody had hoped. Never mind the fact that there exists a term “Flagshipped,” meaning where a company basically overpromises and then screws you. Never mind the fact that the forums are totally populated by people who do nothing but complain and talk about how much the game sucks. Never mind the fact that people do the same thing in the game itself.

Yes, Hellgate is not a big success. That sucks, and it’s depressing. I’m keeping a positive attitude about it because of Korea and China. The Koreans really love the game, and the Chinese have yet to see it. I don’t know how any of these deals are structured, but I’m hinging my hopes for Hellgate’s future on the Asian market.

So why is work depressing? (Other than all of those other depressing things, that is.) The reason is that people are leaving. In droves, they’re leaving. We’ve had programmers, accountants, HR people, and artists leave. The founders are all still around, but they’ve been floating away from Hellgate to work on various other projects. The only one still actively on Hellgate is Tyler, but Tyler’s not programming anymore; he spends all of his time on management activities.
I expect Bill Roper's going to issue a press release saying, "All's well! Full speed ahead!"  icon_neutral Maybe Blizzard can hire them back?  icon_razz Actually the flagshipped site mentions that Roper's "band" is playing in some shows sponsored by Blizzard. So, maybe a reunion *could* happen...

Actually, I enjoyed parts of the game quite a bit. Tremendously even. Then you'd get a turret sequence, or a mini-RTS sequence, or some other mini-game that was so far from the appealing core-combat, that I had to believe the game had 5 different lead designers, all at odds with each other. If they just stripped all that extraneous junk and polished the core hack'n'slash and given levels a little more variety (the ballyhooed randomizing didn't keep everything from looking the same), it'd have been a shorter game I guess, but I think it would've been much better received and memorable. It's all moot now I reckon, it's just thoughts I have looking back.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:45:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2008, 01:12:11 PM »

Gamesindustry.biz got a response from Flagship's David Brevik (who no doubt would rather be working on Diablo 3 at this point icon_razz):

Flagship has had less than 10% turnover, says Brevik
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/flagship-has-had-less-than-10-turnover-says-cvo
This seems more worth highlighting in it though...
Brevik admitted that Hellgate: London launched with some problems and could have benefited from delaying the ship date for a few additional months of development - something that the independent developer didn't have the luxury of doing.
Oops.  saywhat

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 13, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »

Roper said ages ago that they shipped too soon, so that's not news at this point. I also haven't noticed anymore hate on HGL's boards than anywhere else. Lastly an employee who is upset because someone created a website that hated his company could never make it at someplace like Microsoft or the US government or a myriad of other companies that people love to hate. They've steadily improved the game, but they've been paid to do so by subscribers so we'll see how 2.0 goes.

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 11, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »

Layoffs Confirmed At Hellgate Developer Flagship
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19386
Gamasutra has received confirmation from a Flagship Studios representative that the Hellgate: London developer has seen significant staff cuts.

[UPDATE: Fan site Hellgate Guru has translated a Korean news report indicating that Hellgate: London's publisher in the region, HanbitSoft, "...is taking full control over the Hellgate: London intellectual property from Flagship Studios", and intends to continue the game using in-house staff.

However, Flagship's has officially responded: "This story is an outright lie. We have no idea where they are getting their information from and have asked legal counsel to pursue the issue... We are mystified by Hanbitsoft’s conclusions and any attempt to take over the IP will be met with a strong and swift response."]
Not that it should surprise anybody.  icon_neutral It's sort of backtracking from some earlier proclamations that a former Flagship employee's blog was exaggerating.

The Korea thing might well just be due to an inaccurate translation. Apparently HG is all the rage in Korea, so it wouldn't surprise me if HanbitSoft wanted to keep it going there even if it's going nowhere in North America. Who knows? Maybe copyright works differently in Korea than it does here.  icon_confused

I think the lesson (I'm a former business editor, so I'm supposed to pontificate like this  smirk) is that if you're leaving stable waters (Blizzard) to start your own company, you better make sure your first game is a polished home run (esp. if you don't have required monthly revenue fees to fall back on) if you want your new company to enjoy the same sort of stability. I'm sure some of the premature launch was out of their hands (but presumably when they signed with their publisher, they knew what they were getting into). Maybe if they'd licensed an engine, instead of designing one from scratch, they would've been better off.

HG's probably in far better shape now than it ever was, but I've no interest in infecting my PC with it again and hoping that it manages to patch itself to its current state without problems (my last attempt to auto-update put an unfinished patch file on my desktop that I never could remove saywhat). If they re-release it as a version 2.0 that was up-to-date out of the box, I might be interested, but it doesn't sound like that's happening.

I have a few fond memories of the game, mixed with feeling it was one of the strangest, most inconsistent games I ever played (great moments mixed in with bad, amazing environments that were repeated over and over to the point they no longer impressed, bizarre turret shooting sequences that belonged in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, etc.), just a general feeling the game had 7 lead designers, none of whom agreed on anything. About 3 of the 7 I really enjoyed the work of.  icon_confused
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:11:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 11, 2008, 09:02:08 PM »

Blue's has an update with a little more detail (or maybe Gamasutra has added more detail):
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=89287
Hellgate Guru has a report based on a translation of a Korean news story that say that Korean operator of Hellgate: London, HanbitSoft, claims co-ownership of the Intellectual Properly for the game, and is looking to take full control of the IP to "properly manage and develop Hellgate: London into a good game with proper content."
Ew! Talk about a kick in the crotch by your overseas publisher!  saywhatstirthepot

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2008, 01:50:20 AM »

Bad news is that they are not allowing subs to unsubscribe and I'm a sub crybaby. I cannot imagine Electronic Arts just saying "oh yeah sure, you can have all the IP without compensating us". That is just not going to happen, I don't care how many Korean subs they've got. EA for better or worse spent a significant amount of money marketing this game in the US, so they certainly have a stake.

This reminds me of the Vanguard meltdown, but players were fortunate (not a word I'd usually use to describe SOE, but anyway) that SOE had already picked up the IP to the game and could continue to support it. We'll see what happens in the US, but I think I have a call to Amex in my near future.

Now Playing:

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2008, 03:29:08 AM »

Here's a very good read as to why this HanbitSoft thinks they own the Hellgate game:

HanbitSoft states that the reason it is pursuing this course of action is because “It is hard for us to accept Flagship Studios’ requests for continued support in capital and funding any longer and because Flagship was being difficult”, and because it co-owns a direct stake in the IP, it therefore “has a say in reviewing and determining any course of action to be taken with Hellgate: London.”

HanbitSoft is expected to take full control over the IP. HanbitSoft goes on to state that in doing so, it will be able to “properly manage and develop Hellgate: London into a good game with proper content”, with its own in-house team of developers.

The report further states that the online service of Hellgate: London, which started in January 15, 2008 acquired 100,000 early users within the first two weeks of operation during which time HanbitSoft earned 3 billion won (approximately 3 million USD) for the sales of Hellgate: London in Korea. However, the number of players in the game significantly declined due to the lack of general out-of-the-box content and the sparsity of ongoing content updates. Since its Open Beta launch, Hellgate: London has gone from being the 9th most played game in Korea to 52nd post-commercial launch.

Very, very interesting.

And from V3ED:

The staff that still have a job have gone home for the weekend. However, we've been contacted by an ex-Flagship developer who has suggested that the studio is on the brink of closure and has no financial capital to fight Hanbitsoft's legal challenge.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2008, 04:42:07 AM »

Diabloii.net is reporting an update that Flagship Studios is closing altogether already, and *everyone* has been laid off. Albeit this is from the ever famous "inside anonymous source."

http://www.diii.net/n/672129/flagship-studios-closing
Update: And it's done. We have received inside confirmation that everyone has been laid off and the studio is closing. I hate to resort to an emoticon in a news post, but...
Well, it's sad. Especially for Mythos, which was just around the corner from release.  crybaby I'm not clear on if Hanbit or anyone else had some ownership in that too. icon_confused

I'm sure we all can say we probably saw it coming.  disgust I feel bad for everyone involved. I'm sure between the Diablo III announcement and seeing Blizzard/Vivendi  merge without fuss with Activision (Roper kept saying they felt "left out of the discussion" on Blizzard's possible fate as part of a Vivendi sale or partial sale), the principals are just feeling terrible about where their dreams led them. Of course, maybe Blizz didn't like the direction they wanted to go with Diablo III, and perhaps staying there wouldn't have ended up a viable option.

To some extent I feel worse about Iron Lore's earlier demise, because I felt Immortal Throne was a terrific expansion that fixed a lot of Titan Quest's inadequacies and deserved far better sales than it did (whether that was because of piracy, or because Titan Quest didn't have "Blizzard" on the box, who can say? tear). And Iron Lore was excited about the possibility of doing a TQ2, with secure servers, and all sorts of other goodies.

Just imho, Hellgate at launch was like a tech demo. I don't really understand how guys who worked under the Blizzard umbrella and its "we don't ship until it's done, and our publisher doesn't rush us" would let themselves get into a fix where they'd be forced to release a half-baked game (which they've admitted in recent interviews) and basically sign their death knell on their first try out. But, I'm not privvy to their biz wrangling and maybe they had no leeway to negotiate better terms.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:04:49 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: July 12, 2008, 05:01:11 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 12, 2008, 04:42:07 AM

Diabloii.net is reporting an update that Flagship Studios is closing altogether already, and *everyone* has been laid off. Albeit this is from the ever famous "inside anonymous source."

http://www.diii.net/n/672129/flagship-studios-closing
Update: And it's done. We have received inside confirmation that everyone has been laid off and the studio is closing. I hate to resort to an emoticon in a news post, but...
Well, it's sad. Especially for Mythos, which was just around the corner from release.  crybaby I'm not clear on if Hanbit or anyone else had some ownership in that too. icon_confused

Holy crap. And it's not like the diii.net site to post something like this if it wasn't true.

My question though is this - what will happen to Mythos? Sad that I cared more for that game than HL, but it's true.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 12, 2008, 05:26:34 AM »

If Hanbit had a hand in ownership of that too, it's possible they wanted to keep that running too. If Flagship is truly toast, they've got no way to develop it any further. If the guy behind Fate who was the key guy for that owned the Mythos rights, maybe he can still do something with it. I am only wild guessing.  icon_confused

Diabloii.net is also trying to get various former Diablo II devs to comment on Diablo III. While they're not having much luck, they pointed out some comments by Mike Huang (who left in 2003) on his blog:
http://www.mikehuang.com/blog/2008/06/diablo-iii-announced.html
One of the design choices which again shows Blizzard Irvine's hand in the changes made is the re-appearance of the Barbarian character class -- the original design documents for Diablo III included a set of all new character classes, with no reappearance of old character classes (our reasons for this was simple -- since we were enhancing and improving the skill system, we didn't want to try and adapt old skills into a new system -- we'd rather create all new skills for the new character classes. The return of the Barbarian class feels like a change that was made after development of the title was moved to Irvine 3 years ago.

It's apparent now that Blizzard Irvine and the now dissolved Blizzard North weren't seeing eye-to-eye on Diablo III much at all -- so it's pretty clear Blizz would have no interest in hiring the former Flagship guys, just as they probably had no interest in bringing back the unemployed Stieg Hedlund (DII lead designer) after Gods & Heroes went defunct. I'm pretty certain there's virtually nobody from the original Starcraft team working on Starcraft II either (I blanche that a former Command & Conquer dev is heading up the SCII team). I don't think Blizz shares gamers' nostalgia for dev teams, it's onward and upward.

fwiw, the Hellgate official forums are still up:
http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/index.php

I don't see any announcements about going out of business, shutting down etc. Who knows? Maybe this is all the usual Internet gossip gone wild.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:30:59 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2008, 05:37:37 AM »

RPG Watch has sort of a compilation and then it mentions (supposedly) someone supposedly representing Hanbit trying to clarify, and demanding Hellgate Guru pull the quote it has been using (or I guess clarify it):
http://www.rpgwatch.com/#9578
We are U.S. attorneys for HanbitSoft. Your story is a repeat of a quote that is not accurate and we request that you pull it down. At the request of Flagship's attorney, we must correct the record:

Please understand that the facts are:
(1) HanbitSoft is an exclusive licensee of both Hellgate and Mythos in Asia, with rights to sublicense the games;
(2) in addition, HanbitSoft is a secured creditor who has been pledged the Mythos (but not the Hellgate) intellectual property as collateral for a loan;
(3) Comerica, another secured lender, has been pledged the Hellgate intellectual property as its collateral for a loan;
(4) Flagship Studios does not currently own the intellectual properties to either game, which are held in separate companies subject to the security interests of lenders, and Flagship Studios' interest in those companies is also pledged to its lenders;
(5) it is unfortunate that Flagship turned down additional investments HanbitSoft offered to make that would have allowed it to keep its doors open, but HanbitSoft hopes to work with Comerica and some of the team at Flagship to see if there is a way to continue to generate content to keep Hellgate online in Asia and to finish the development of Mythos.
If that's all true, gawd. Flagship needed better lawyers and advisors.  disgust

So now it sounds like what HanbitSoft actually will own is Mythos because of Flagship presumably defaulting on a loan from them.

It also sounds like HanbitSoft perhaps wanted to invest in Flagship to the point it would have controlling interest in Flagship (this is ex-business editor geek in me talking, but that's perhaps the one reason Flagship would give for rejecting the offer).

Comerica, fwiw, appears to be a financial services company based in Dallas, Texas. Not sure what the heck they would do with the Hellgate property.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:42:56 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: July 12, 2008, 08:39:05 AM »

This all stinks to high heaven.  Where is EA in all this?

Forced early release from something.  This time, I'm not sure if it was just EA forcing them, or just cutting the funding when they saw the state of the game.

Then there's the whole stupid MMO business.

Just who the heck was running the finances for this company?
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: July 12, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »

No matter what, I hate to see another game company go down~

I keep trying to play Hellgate, I like the action but hated the option (equip, stat, skill) screen. I wanted more simpler interface.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: July 12, 2008, 01:39:53 PM »

And it's final:

Flagships's Community Manager, Taylor Balbi, has revealed, through sources, that all Ping0 and Flagship Studios staff have been made redundant. Employees were notified at a company meeting and subsequently informed that the offices will be officially closed on Saturday. Balbi went on to reveal that three of the studio's top brass dug into their own pockets to provide 30 days of pay to all employees.

Word of the studio closure reached Korean distributor HanbitSoft, leading to the release of a statement regarding intellectual property control and the subsequent clarification by their American lawyers that included the following sentence: "It is unfortunate that Flagship turned down additional investments HanbitSoft offered to make that would have allowed it to keep its doors open."

As also referenced in the legal release, HanbitSoft hopes to independently continue development of Mythos, to which it owns the rights thanks to a loan agreement enacted with Flagship. Comerica now owns the Hellgate: London rights through a similar loan agreement, and will likely continue Asian development with HanbitSoft. As for English-language releases of the two games, it is possible that the Asian companies would continue development, though in the case of Hellgate: London it is unlikely (Mythos has a far better business model and is attracting extremely positive press). Alternatively, the rights may be sold to Electronic Arts or other interested parties.

In summary, Flagship's well is dry, all intellectual property has been lost, all staff fired, and the studio closed. It truly is the end of the line.

As to who owned the finances of this company:

I had a link that explained exactly who owned the company, but it was NOT Flagship AT ALL. This HanbitSoft (Asia publisher) and Comerica (a bank in Texas) COMPLETELY owned the finances of HL. Period. And for whatever reason, Flagship refused additional funding. As such, these two finances took control of the HL IP. I'll keep looking around for that link, as it showed things very well.

EDIT: I feel like an idiot now. This post (yes, three posts up) explained what was up with their finances. I'm going back to bed. biggrin
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:15:49 PM by Destructor » Logged

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 12, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »

Or maybe not final. http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/39269/All-is-Well-at-Flagship-Studios   The CEO claims everything is great, never better. Interesting, both sides can't be correct. I'm sure the truth will play out. The people who can no longer cancel their subscriptions aren't making that up.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: July 12, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on July 12, 2008, 02:02:56 PM

Or maybe not final. http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/39269/All-is-Well-at-Flagship-Studios   The CEO claims everything is great, never better. Interesting, both sides can't be correct. I'm sure the truth will play out. The people who can no longer cancel their subscriptions aren't making that up.

You do realize that post is dated June 11th, right? A month ago?

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2008, 02:30:44 PM »

He's right about the date, but I think seeing what they were claiming about the company's status a month ago is instructive. icon_neutral

Back in late 1991, the same newspaper here in Virginia laid me off twice -- in August our whole staff; and then rehired me because they forgot to keep someone who knew how to lay out the newspaper icon_lol), and then me and my "new" boss the week before Thanksgiving. The publisher and company president had staff meetings where they said with a straight face that everything was "OK" and all the rumors bout the company being in financial problems were "exaggerated." I learned right there to have no trust in what company officials say on the record, or tell their employees.

I'm sure Flagship had those same times of meetings in recent weeks. I don't blame them really. It's just not Business Habit to be candid and give your employees fair warning things are going sour, and "you should start sending resumes out." It's still ugly and sad.  icon_frown

If they are digging into their pockets to give employees a month's pay (severance if you will), then that is decent of them. Can't really speak to what Roper, Brevik and the Schaefer brothers are feeling right now. You leave a dream situation (Blizzard, awash in WoW revenue up the ying yang), pursue your dream, and now apparently end up with nothing.  puke Reminds me of the Dotcom Bust era...

If Roper wanted to, I'd think Blizz might welcome him back. If only because he did play a much larger role than just working on the Diablo games, and he was always (imho) a fine ambassador for Blizzard's games with fans and the press. And they used his booming voice for so many in-game voices.  icon_smile

It'll be interesting see whether Handbit, Comerica or whomever keeps Hellgate running multiplayer wise in North America (the VE3D article speculates Mythos would be more attractive as a North American property, in theory). I would almost hope Comerica would just dump the property into open source, and who knows? Maybe enterprising fans would do a better job of hosting, fixing and updating the game gratis than Flagship was doing.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 02:40:23 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2008, 02:43:46 PM »

heh, I was thinking about reinstalling HGL the other day.  now I guess I won't unless I decide to finish the single player game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »

I logged on this morning and the US server is still up. All my characters were just where I left them. I don't know how long that will last, because the servers have to be paid for and maintained, but for the moment you would not know there was anything wrong.

Now Playing:

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 13, 2008, 06:04:31 AM »

To commemorate its demise, here's a few of my screenshots. I still think the game had at its core some really fun and unique combat, and some of the coolest character models I ever saw in a game.  icon_cool

I never posted this before because I thought it was a "spoiler," but this is the "Final Boss"  ninja2
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 06:08:24 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 13, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »

Will any of ths affect the single player game? Also, what about the people who bought the "lifetime" subscrition? SOL?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: July 13, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on July 13, 2008, 01:59:01 PM

Will any of ths affect the single player game? Also, what about the people who bought the "lifetime" subscrition? SOL?

Nobody is saying anything. Heck - the last statement from the devs was that this was all bull. Monday will be the day when we'll all know the full truth.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: July 13, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »

Honestly?  I doubt we'll ever hear the truth, unless Bill Roper or the Schaffer's decide to speak.  IF so, it'll be during E3, IMO.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: July 13, 2008, 06:15:47 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 13, 2008, 04:52:43 PM

Honestly?  I doubt we'll ever hear the truth, unless Bill Roper or the Schaffer's decide to speak.  IF so, it'll be during E3, IMO.

Well, E3 is just a few days away, no? biggrin

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 14, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »

I saw a useful post at the official forums on a 1-800 # to call to cancel your subscription (it seems legit, but certainly I can't personally vouch for it):
http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showpost.php?p=1134694&postcount=64

afik, the Flagship official community coordinator's trying to clean up the forums a bit, but his or her posts are so strange I can't really tell if she's confirming/not confirming what various places are reporting. The more I read the various news posts, the more it seems like three sites (Hellgate Guru, VE3D and Gamasutra) all breathlessly quoting and cutting and pasting from each other to the point you can't tell if anyone bothered to verify any of the information.  icon_confused Some of the stuff taken from Korean articles seems to be suffering poor translations.

AFIK the servers are still running (did see a couple posts about some server update problems, though given the game always had some problems, that might not be meaningful), and my wild guess is they would continue through at least this month, and maybe next.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: July 15, 2008, 01:40:15 AM »

Still no official words?
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2008, 03:08:10 AM »

http://hellgateguru.com/2008/07/flagship-studios-still-in-operations/

Seems as official as it's going to get for now.

Now Playing:

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 18, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »

Flagship (well, a Ping0 employee I guess, technically) is closing The Hellgate (and Mythos) forums at midnight tonight, so presumably Hellgate's servers are also getting unplugged (if not tonight, at some point):
http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=107626 [presumably this link won't work after midnight tonight, Friday]
Quote from: Tiggs, Ping0 rep
On Friday, July 18th at 11:59 PM(CST) the forums will be shutting down. We would like to thank everyone for being a part of this wonderful community and we hope to see you all again soon.
I always though a dev that did so many things wrong that an "anti-fan site" (Flagshipped) would never run out of material to write about, was a bad sign.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:04:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 19, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »

Ha. Now they say the forums aren't going down just yet afterall.  icon_confused
http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=107626&page=65
I am happy to announce that the forums will not be going down tonight.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 23, 2008, 01:15:09 PM »

Supposedly Namco Bandai is trying to at least salvage Hellgate out of Flagship's mess, or something. Anyway, the Hellgate forums and servers are supposed to remain up for now:

http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showpost.php?p=1156742&postcount=12438
Hello Hellgaters,

I know everyone is looking for an announcement, and we'd love to make one -- but right now, many things are in flux and we don't have all the information yet. As soon as we do, we'll post here on the forums, on the website, and anywhere else we can find you.

In the short term, please do not worry. The game is up, the servers are not going away in the short term and any major changes to status will be communicated in advance.

I'd like to ask for your patience as we try to figure it all out and chart a new course. We value your community, your commitment, and your passion for Hellgate and we will make sure that any solution that we architect will support all of you as best as we are able.

Thanks again. We hope to have a real announcement shortly.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 23, 2008, 01:51:37 PM »

So, should I buy this game yet?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 23, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on July 23, 2008, 01:51:37 PM

actually you could have bought it months of go, but it's just so much fun we didn't want to share it with a dirty New Yorker.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: July 23, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »

I say even despite the problems, it's pretty decent game for $20.00.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: July 23, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 23, 2008, 03:08:17 PM

actually you could have bought it months of go, but it's just so much fun we didn't want to share it with a dirty New Yorker.

See, the screenshots listed above actually have me considering the purchase.  Is there somewhere to download the content patches for non-subscribers?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: July 23, 2008, 06:10:17 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on July 23, 2008, 05:04:47 PM

See, the screenshots listed above actually have me considering the purchase.  Is there somewhere to download the content patches for non-subscribers?

You always could pull the patches (single and multi) via the Multiplayer function in the game. Who knows if that still works though.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: October 24, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »

And Hellgate is finally done:

Namco Bandai, the North American publisher for the now-defunct Flagship Studios' Hellgate: London (PC), has announced that it will support the game's servers through January 31, 2009, after which they will be shut down.

For players of the action MMO, which Blizzard alum and Flagship founder Bill Roper admitted was "not great," Namco Bandai will continue to run those servers for free as a "further gesture of support."

Namco Bandai saved the game's servers back in July as the failure of the once-anticipated Hellgate predicated the collapse of Flagship. Much of the studio's staff has gone on to form Runic Games in order to continue making action RPGs.

I wonder how much the 'lifetime sub' is going for now...  icon_twisted

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 24, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 24, 2008, 06:10:51 PM

Namco Bandai, the North American publisher for the now-defunct Flagship Studios' Hellgate: London (PC), has announced that it will support the game's servers through January 31, 2009, after which they will be shut down.

For players of the action MMO, which Blizzard alum and Flagship founder Bill Roper admitted was "not great," Namco Bandai will continue to run those servers for free as a "further gesture of support."

Namco Bandai saved the game's servers back in July as the failure of the once-anticipated Hellgate predicated the collapse of Flagship. Much of the studio's staff has gone on to form Runic Games in order to continue making action RPGs.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: October 24, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 24, 2008, 06:10:51 PM

I just wonder if they're going to do anything for the people that got screwed by this.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: October 24, 2008, 08:58:47 PM »

Lifetime = Lifetime of the product. And the product is dead.

So, in short - nothing.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: